Exil

Forum Update Feedback (v4)

We've now successfully upgraded to IPS Community Suite 4.1.13.

Feel free to leave any comments and feedback related to the latest update below.

Known issues:

Edited by Exil

how do I get a desktop view for my tablet? Selecting Desktop view from the menu doesnt change anything.

Edit - desktop and mobile modes are pretty much the same thing for content display. The "where do you click to do...." stuff on the menues are different.

Edited by Fukurou

When I logged in I received a notice that I had a PM - the last one that I was sent, which was some weeks ago.  It's also the only one I haven't deleted, so possibly when they were migrated none of them were marked as read.

I don't like the circular avatars very much.  Not sure if that's a design choice that's changeable, or something that's bound to the platform.  I had to do some work in MS paint to get the parts of the image necessary to convey the entirety of what the picture was showing all visible at the same time, basically widening the source image so that the circle wasn't forced to cut off either the bottom or the top of the image.  I'm guessing there will be others whose avatars will be missing some key elements based on the composition of the image.

The reply editing box doesn't look like it has as much functionality, specifically in terms of switching from a WYSIWYG interface to one where all the markup code is visible.  Maybe editing quotes is much easier now, but previously I had to switch to the underlying code in order to get multiple nested quotes edited correctly.  I'll try some stuff in the test forum and see what it's like.

My 2 points of feedback now that I've been on my CPU, is that the background seems a bit too light for me, making the boundaries harder to notice,  and its also a bit strange to put our genders underneath our avatars, because so many of us just ignored that part when filling out our profiles. I actually like the round avatars. 

10 minutes ago, hamcornheinz said:

My 2 points of feedback now that I've been on my CPU, is that the background seems a bit too light for me, making the boundaries harder to notice,  and its also a bit strange to put our genders underneath our avatars, because so many of us just ignored that part when filling out our profiles. I actually like the round avatars. 

The gender issue is to ameliorate the problem with not knowing which gendered pronoun to refer to people with that you only know as users on the board.  If you don't list a gender, you effectively are saying you don't care if people use the wrong gendered pronoun to refer to you.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

The reply editing box doesn't look like it has as much functionality, specifically in terms of switching from a WYSIWYG interface to one where all the markup code is visible.  Maybe editing quotes is much easier now, but previously I had to switch to the underlying code in order to get multiple nested quotes edited correctly.  I'll try some stuff in the test forum and see what it's like.

See my posts in the testing forum for details, but there are some bugs in how quotes work, specifically in two ways in which the board deals with you breaking up large quotes into smaller chunks in order to reply to different parts of a message in different places.  One is the cursor is temporarily bugged after splitting the quotes, and the second is that the timestamp and attribution of any chunk broken off is removed if the message is edited.

Heh, and now that the avatars are no longer circles, you can see the circles I drew in paint to get an idea of how to crop it so it would look nice here.

Whatever is done with them is fine, but with the circularized avatars you had to guess what actually would be displayed because the crop of the image after you uploaded it looked square, which is why I drew circles to see how it would be cropped.  If people can choose how to crop their image, that would be the best option, but the board automatically applying a circular crop to a square image required me tinkering to get something that I liked.

edit: edited my avatar to fit nicely into the square box.  Would be nice if it could be any shape we wanted so I wouldn't need filler on the side, but I don't know what's possible.

Edited by Gurowake

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

The gender issue is to ameliorate the problem with not knowing which gendered pronoun to refer to people with that you only know as users on the board.  If you don't list a gender, you effectively are saying you don't care if people use the wrong gendered pronoun to refer to you.

I wonder why my profile displays that field as "Gender: "  while that field is not displayed at all for others. Going to see if there's some oddity in my profile settings.

Edit: Gender is a dropdown list, with options "Male", "Female", "Not Telling", and a blank selection. I selected the blank option after this update. Given the Gender field does not appear for those who made that choice prior to the update, should it also not appear for those selecting the blank after the update?

Edited by Fukurou

One thing I don't like is the massive amount of blank and unproductive space leaving little room on a page for actual CONTENT. I am not in control of paragraph definition and line spacing.

I like to be able to get to the nitty-gritty and I the bells and whistles should not get in the way of that. Functions should be supportive, quietly available in the background, not taking up all the space.

Edited by orandashoho
  • Like 3

Looks like you only can make the Like votes like before public for all to identify when you create a new topic NOW.
 As soon as the first reply arrives, that option vanishes - and all old topics have been switched to anonymous.

The default should be "public", as before, or at least all old topics should be set to that and the voter information be restored.

The loss of BBCode is very annoying - most of my posting has depended on it. So from now on also for me: don't quote at all or no trimming of nested quotes. And much work to create routines to let me continue to do pic-posts at all.

The "Code" option of the editor doesn't allow BBCode either, the editor recognizes most BBCode mode though by simply pasting it into the post - except the table tags and maybe others I haven't tried yet.

The option to lock a topic apparently is no longer available for the general public: and I can't unlock an old post either.

Edit: no nested quotes anymore

Edited by Akinomaki

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

The option to lock a topic apparently is no longer available for the general public: and I can't unlock an old post either.

Confirmed about topic moderation. The only option available for a topic I create (such as Rikishi Status) is Delete. Lock and Unlock used to be options too.

Preview post was very handy for me which I now do not see when creating post or replying.  It's easier to do a 'post check' with it rather than for someone like me who has to keep editing a handful of mistakes or revising.

Use the final item in the set of options at the top of the display to Preview.  It's still there.  They just relocated it and changed the symbol.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

Use the final item in the set of options at the top of the display to Preview.  It's still there.  They just relocated it and changed the symbol.

Where?  I don't see any set of options at the top of the display.

Edited by Fukurou

17 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

Where?  I don't see any set of options at the top of the display.

To the right of the Size box, there is a sheet of paper with a magnifying glass.  Click it to get the Preview.

I can't remove the notification by email for personal messages from the notification settings - and from one other item. As I had it before, I don't want any emails from the forum.

In the Messenger the option to archive a conversation has now disappeared - the function itself had disappeared for quite some time already.

Apart from delete there also is a "Move" selection for messages to group them into folders.

The options for settings appear one after the other and the design keeps to evolve, Exil is still changing the software rapidly - and maybe with others the design.

Friends seem to have disappeared, followers are the trend now.

Edited by Akinomaki

The way the editor formats what gets pasted or typed into it is something that will need time to get used to. It now also has automatic hyphenation. That initial question if you want to remove the format you just pasted into the post is more or less a sign that the editor lacks the option to let you do it when you want to. That "removing" removes all links and pics as well.

The table tags won't get recognized and not all tables copied from an internet page result in a similar one in the post. I managed to paste a table with pics by copying it from an older post which I had produced with table tags. A simple table like the kensho standings and daily results can be pasted directly from the Nikkan page, the banzuke doesn't really look good though. Multiple lines in one cell of the table work as well, but I cant add a comment after pasting the table - it gets corrupted.  In a table with single lines I could at least write something at the bottom. Gurowake already has shown that tables can be produced by copying them from a spreadsheet.

Autosave seems to be very reliable now - as I left the page and went back, the post I was writing was still there.

The editor would be even better if the question whether you "Are sure" that you want to cancel an edit only appeared when something was changed.

Edited by Akinomaki

Pasting directly a forum link like the one in the post above to Gurowake's test thread gets a rich display now (and a question if you rather don't want it to):

Edited by Akinomaki

The display of all Activity on the forum is very nice, the unread corner as well. Its behavior seems still be in the process of change. At present it shows one link for all new posts in a thread. It varies which post is shown in the expanded mode and it isn't necessarily the one shown that gets displayed when I click on the link. I had the same issue as before though: sometimes posts I haven't read yet disappear from the list after I read one in another thread first that was higher on the list.

The line that shows the start of the not yet read new posts when you go to the first unread post is also very nice.

Old links of forum searches are all obsolete now.

Edited by Akinomaki

I can no longer search for all posts of an author in a specific period of time without giving a search term - or a tag. I don't know what tags there are and which I may use to get all. I now often get errors for searches I could do before - and always with tags.

The text fields now are of a kind for which the browser no longer remembers the terms I typed - I have to type author names all over again. I can open the search page with a bookmarked set of options though that I want to use often.

So far after a search the selected options had remained in the fields and buttons - I could modify it for the next try - now after one of the frequent errors all is gone. The new search needs much time to get used to as well - and apparently still something like go-no-sen can't be searched.

Somehow I manged to find 294,408 results after clicking somewhere to modify my search results. Trying to go to one of the 11777 or so pages didn't show anything though.

Edited by Akinomaki

I turned on the "Automatically hide block" option (see below), but now I can't deactivate it anymore.

block.jpg

A table gets an outline and can be stretched and compressed with it - nice - the new version is mostly a delight.

The "Code" option isn't available in an edit, only for a new post. No way to have even a slight possibility to do some tasks then that were available with the BBCode mode.

Edited by Akinomaki

Either Exil changed something in the meantime, or exiting and re-opening the page did the trick: now I can turn off the button again.