Exil

Forum Update Feedback (v4)

4 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I turned on the "Automatically hide block" option (see below), but now I can't deactivate it anymore.

I must be blind, I can't find/access that block management area at all. (I also don't have the exclamation-mark-in-a-triangle button at the top of the page next to Notifications and Messages - what's that for?)

Apparently nested quotes are no issue anymore: if I quote a post, only what was written new in the post gets quoted, the quotes made there don't appear - and what was in there also doesn't appear as a search result: if the original post was changed, possible former (embarrassing) contents won't ever be found again in a search.

The limit for pics per post now is the amount of code the browser can process and send to the forum: I managed to get 2400 in one post in a reasonable time - with links and text: with pure image links maybe 5000 are the limit - and 25 posts per page: 125 000 pics on one page - likely the browser would crash before you manage to send them all.

In other words: self-restraint!

I wouldn't want to post more than 300 larger pics visible on one page. But it seems the hiding of pics in [spoiler ] tags has become more efficient: the loading of the pics in the background is much smoother and unnoticeable. But the spoiler now hides also those contents from the search: you likely won't find the comments in there ever again and thus also not the pics you are looking for.

Of course the contents of (picture) URLs won't be searched anymore as well - only what is displayed of a link in a post.

Edited by Akinomaki

Unread Content - the default display (found under Activity) is to display from the top of the page. This option can be changed to First unread comment, but the change does not stick. I suggest First unread comment be made the default setting - who wants to dig through a thread to find where you left off if you don't have to?

I should note you can make this change on an individual level by saving it as a new stream. It will be displayed in the menu as a Custom Stream under My Activity Streams under Activity.

How do you delete Custom Streams you no longer want?

Found it - one of 3 icons to the right of the activity sort's title on the display screen

Edited by Fukurou

I at first also opened the thread itself - by mistake, because like before to jump to the first unread post I just have to click on the circle (or star) that also indicates a new post in the topic list.

And you now quickly find where you left off with the line that separates the thread just at that point.

Edited by Akinomaki

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

I must be blind, I can't find/access that block management area at all. (I also don't have the exclamation-mark-in-a-triangle button at the top of the page next to Notifications and Messages - what's that for?)

Maybe those are moderator-only things? I don't see them either. The triangle button looks like something a moderator would have, alerting them to reported content or some such thing.

As usual it'll take a bit of getting used to and finding where everything is, but I rather like the look of the update. Thanks for your hard work, Exil! :-)

I'll just quickly reply to a few things.

On 7.8.2016 at 19:20, Fukurou said:

Edit: Gender is a dropdown list, with options "Male", "Female", "Not Telling", and a blank selection. I selected the blank option after this update. Given the Gender field does not appear for those who made that choice prior to the update, should it also not appear for those selecting the blank after the update?

Hm, this looks like a bug.

22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Looks like you only can make the Like votes like before public for all to identify when you create a new topic NOW.
 As soon as the first reply arrives, that option vanishes - and all old topics have been switched to anonymous.

The default should be "public", as before, or at least all old topics should be set to that and the voter information be restored.

Should be visible to all logged-in users now.

The loss of BBCode is very annoying - most of my posting has depended on it. So from now on also for me: don't quote at all or no trimming of nested quotes. And much work to create routines to let me continue to do pic-posts at all.

The "Code" option of the editor doesn't allow BBCode either, the editor recognizes most BBCode mode though by simply pasting it into the post - except the table tags and maybe others I haven't tried yet.

Code is for displaying source code and other markup, not for rich text. BBCode as such is history, as we speculated a while ago.

The option to lock a topic apparently is no longer available for the general public: and I can't unlock an old post either.

Topic locking and unlocking is moderator-only from now on, it seems.

9 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I can't remove the notification by email for personal messages from the notification settings - and from one other item. As I had it before, I don't want any emails from the forum.

You should now be able to turn off these emails.

9 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Friends seem to have disappeared, followers are the trend now.

Indeed, the friend list feature is gone, and all friends lists have been reset.

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I can no longer search for all posts of an author in a specific period of time without giving a search term - or a tag. I don't know what tags there are and which I may use to get all. I now often get errors for searches I could do before - and always with tags.

Our forum doesn't use tags, but there is no option to remove searching for tags. Go figure.

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The limit for pics per post now is the amount of code the browser can process and send to the forum: I managed to get 2400 in one post in a reasonable time - with links and text: with pure image links maybe 5000 are the limit - and 25 posts per page: 125 000 pics on one page - likely the browser would crash before you manage to send them all.

If I can find a setting to limit this, I will.

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

Maybe those are moderator-only things? I don't see them either. The triangle button looks like something a moderator would have, alerting them to reported content or some such thing.

It's a moderator-only menu, if you don't see it, you're probably not a moderator. ;-)

1 hour ago, Yubinhaad said:

As usual it'll take a bit of getting used to and finding where everything is, but I rather like the look of the update. Thanks for your hard work, Exil! :-)

You're welcome. :-)

• Like 2

So is there still a right-hand sidebar for birthdays and stuff? Every time I reload the main page there's some blank space over there for about half a second, before the rest of the forum content expands to fill the whole width of the window. But I don't see any way to put something else in that space.

I'll probably just watch the Olympics for the next two weeks before I decide if there's a point to recreating 10 years of workflows or if I should just scrap anything heavy on formatting... Also pretty disappointing that the forum conversion seems to have maintained even less backwards compatibility of old posts than any of the previous updates did.

Edit: Is the inability to do any nested quoting via the Quote button a permanent thing now?

Edited by Asashosakari

The sidebar has appeared for me now, though in turn with no option to disable it.

Edited by Asashosakari

Is it possible to have some sort of boundary between posts? These sorta just congeal together and are harder to read. 

So is there still a right-hand sidebar for birthdays and stuff? Every time I reload the main page there's some blank space over there for about half a second, before the rest of the forum content expands to fill the whole width of the window. But I don't see any way to put something else in that space.

I'll probably just watch the Olympics for the next two weeks before I decide if there's a point to recreating 10 years of workflows or if I should just scrap anything heavy on formatting... Also pretty disappointing that the forum conversion seems to have maintained even less backwards compatibility of old posts than any of the previous updates did.

Edit: Is the inability to do any nested quoting via the Quote button a permanent thing now?

At very least, I am able to break up a quote by hitting return/enter twice, and then drag it by the arrows in the upper left inside another quote so they nest.  It's a little tedious to do back and forth with two chunks of quotes, but it's possible.

17 minutes ago, hamcornheinz said:

Is it possible to have some sort of boundary between posts? These sorta just congeal together and are harder to read. 

There is a very obvious difference in color in the spacing between the posts on my screen, and this spacing color wraps around to the margins of the page.  Well, it's obvious to me.  I suppose other people might not find it obvious.

2 hours ago, Exil said:

Topic locking and unlocking is moderator-only from now on, it seems.

That's going to make a lot of people that set up polls rather annoyed.  They aren't going to be able to unlock their threads to give an account of how people's predictions turn out.  I personally don't care, and am very slightly glad that I am relieved of the "obligation" to do so for those I set up.

13 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

At very least, I am able to break up a quote by hitting return/enter twice, and then drag it by the arrows in the upper left inside another quote so they nest.  It's a little tedious to do back and forth with two chunks of quotes, but it's possible.

That's why I wrote "via the Quote button". Recreating nested quotes by hand is just insane, especially when the first-level post only included a partial quote of the second-level post, and that trimming down would need to be redone manually.

Exil wrote that locking and unlocking threads is apparently moderator-only now.  So what's the appropriate way to flag a mod to lock or unlock a thread you've created?

Exil also noted that the Gender field thing may be a bug. Using this thread as my sample, now I'm seeing people who had no Gender field displayed before listed as either "Gender: Male" or "Gender: Not Telling" now. There are only a couple I've seen that are "Gender: ".

57 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

There is a very obvious difference in color in the spacing between the posts on my screen, and this spacing color wraps around to the margins of the page.  Well, it's obvious to me.  I suppose other people might not find it obvious.

slab of white to me

2 hours ago, Fukurou said:

Agree. White on white.

I get a very light blue boundary for each post in Win 10 Firefox and IE11.

I can't find "filter by forum" options anymore for the display of the unread content.

That would be OK if I had an easy way to mark posts read that I want to skip. Now I have to wait till I viewed all posts I want to read and also have to confirm that I want to "Mark site read" (top and below on the right). I don't like to use it, because I always fear that in the meantime a new post arrives I WANT to read, and that that gets marked as well and I won't notice it.

Edited by Akinomaki

No selection options are provided for BBCode, you have to enter it manually. No problem except for those who want to hide contents: I can't find any other option for that - you have to type

on the keyboard.

33 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

No selection options are provided for BBCode, you have to enter it manually. No problem except for those who want to hide contents: I can't find any other option for that - you have to type

Reveal hidden contents

on the keyboard.

Uh, even the incomplete spoiler tag eradicated my post - and nothing in the edit to recover it, another try

you have to type [spoiler ]  (without the blank inside) and an end tag if you want to continue to show something.

So you need BBCode knowledge and it's tedious for those who on the keyboard don't have [

Edited by Akinomaki

The editor seems to swallow letters sometimes: after an edit a word is missing or a letter from a word nearby.

After correcting it, suddenly a word may be double.

Too much automatic is going on there, it seems, not just auto-hyphenation.

And be careful if you use ] and its counterpart double in one text - all in between got swallowed and deleted for me just now.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

The sidebar has appeared for me now, though in turn with no option to disable it.

There's a tiny ">" button in the middle of the left side of the screen. (At least for me - don't know if that's mods only, too.)

Its funny, Exil, you remind me of someone... that shop of yours, does it happen to be open all hours?

Seriously though, thanks for all the work.

The list of search results lacks the display and link of the last post made. That makes it tedious to add a new post that refers to the latest made a while ago - especially for very big threads.

I'm missing a few links on the start page - I could do without the block on the right, but to hide that has to be for moderators only - no sign of the "<" that lets me toggle away sub-forums - but only till the next day. The list of topics there now lists not only the new topics, but the topics for which new posts were made - that's better than before.

SumoReference should be on the start page, the staff list is there, but no link to the member list, just the member search. I found out the link to the member list sorted by post numbers: Members - Sumo Forum

I need much more bookmarks now for the forum.

Edited by Akinomaki

10 hours ago, Asojima said:

I get a very light blue boundary for each post in Win 10 Firefox and IE11.

I get the same boundary on every other browser I've tried as well: Opera and Chrome on my PC (I use Firefox most of the time), and Safari on an iPad.