John Gunning

New recruits for Aki 2016

7 hours ago, hamcornheinz said:

Oh please, not here..... please no.. you can't have a bowl of fruit loops without someone mentioning race anymore...

It's a pretty enormous elephant in the room to be ignoring otherwise. Black guys dominated heavyweight boxing throughout most of my life and I'm interested to see how a heavyweight black guy gets on in sumo.

Also, I think Asameshimae has saved me having to ask if Ichiro is the first black guy in sumo, as "so few" implies others before him.

I wish Ichiro good fortune in his efforts, but is it wrong to wonder how the tokoyama are going to rise to the challenge?

Sentoryu hada pretty good career, although injuries limited his success.

Edited by Washuyama
  • Like 1

On August 14, 2016 at 09:12, hamcornheinz said:

Oh please, not here..... please no.. you can't have a bowl of fruit loops without someone mentioning race anymore...

Living in Japan, race (besides the uniqueness of being Japanese) isn't much of a topic. Maybe it should be, but it really isn't a big part of the discourse here.  And what's wrong with fruit loops?  Heh, kidding.

Edited by Asameshimae
added a few things
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

It's a pretty enormous elephant in the room to be ignoring otherwise. Black guys dominated heavyweight boxing throughout most of my life and I'm interested to see how a heavyweight black guy gets on in sumo.

Also, I think Asameshimae has saved me having to ask if Ichiro is the first black guy in sumo, as "so few" implies others before him.

I wish Ichiro good fortune in his efforts, but is it wrong to wonder how the tokoyama are going to rise to the challenge?

Sentoryu (which is a shortened form of Saint Louis, where he is from) was mixed Japanese and African American.  He wrestles in MMA (still?) I think. I have little knowledge or interest in MMA though.  He is the only one I know of.

On 14/08/2016 at 03:13, RabidJohn said:

It's all technique. Who cares what color they are? Everywhere but America, you don't actually have to prove you aren't a racist. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hamcornheinz said:

It's all technique. Who cares what color they are? Everywhere but America, you don't actually have to prove you aren't a racist. 

I have been watching sumo for a long time, and sumo became all the more interesting for me as more men from different countries, races and backgrounds began to join and find success in larger numbers. So I guess I do care what "color" they are, and the more the merrier.  The more I see of this kind of thing, the more hope I have for the world.  I'd address your last comment, but I have no idea what such a blanket statement has to do with the subject at hand, I'm not being combative I just don't see the point.

I just saw the comment about the tokoyama, Amuuru for one, and Osuna-arashi I think too, have pretty kinky hair and it seems the tokoyama have it in hand. :)

Edited by Asameshimae

9 hours ago, hamcornheinz said:

Well, time to sidestep this whole conversation and get back to my fruit loops. 

My mom only ever bought me Fruity O's.. Somehow Toucan Sam on the front of the box always made Fruit Loops seem so much more delicious. :)

And back to sumo.  Actually I remember Konishiki saying that his hair was a challenge for tokoyama, which was a challenge for him. 

4 hours ago, hamcornheinz said:

Akebono had the weirdest topknot. Curly hair and all.

Agreed. Distinct enough that it never looked much like a top knot. 

Wrestling is a very old tradition in several African countries (Senegal, Sudan, ..., ). I'm pretty sure some of the African wrestlers could do well in Sumo, should they be given an opportunity. 

Wrestling in Senegal

Wrestling is very much part of the Senegalese culture. It is thought to have its origins in rural villages, where farmers would wrestle each other. During the dry season, farmers came to the cities looking for work and discovered  people were keen to watch them and bet on their  wrestling matches.

It wasn’t long before large-scale matches were being staged and wrestling became a respected sport.

Like generations before, the wrestlers of today still wear loin cloths to fight in the  sand-filled arenas. It is quite a spectacle and before a match, drumming and traditional dancing takes place.

Google "African wrestling" for images ...

Western Africans can have extremely curly hair, but there are lots of hair treatments and techniques to straighten them, usually used by women but nowaday extremely popular with foodballers, etc. I'm sure Tokoyama would learn how to tame curly hairs pretty fast, should the need arise. 

Edited by Calamityama
clicked too fast
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Calamityama said:

Very good artist. Pity he doesn't do Kendo ... 

do you still do kendo Calamityama? I did it for about 9 months, and am going to try out amasumo for the first time tomorrow. 

35 years playing kendo and still addicted to it despite knees that have aged faster than me. I've also played judo and, very briefly, approached amasumo in its beginning in Geneva, Switzerland.  I've learned the basics of refereeing and some moves like shiko, met a team of Japanese students against whom we did one seance of butsukari geiko (I'm still tired and aching thinking about it), after seeing them engulf a frightening amount of pasta, and before accompanying them to a tournament in the Swiss mountains, where I met Emanuel Yarbrough.

I took some pictures at the time but gave them all to the local organizer, Francois Wahl ...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Konishiki's hair was a challenge back in the day.

I remember the wavy mage of Konishiki and Akebono, which kind of made it clear the tokoyama hadn't resorted to any 'artificial' means to deal with their curly hair. It never looked quite right on either of them...

From the pic Ichiro's hair looks like it will grow out into a proper kinky afro and will need chemical straighteners to wrestle it into shape, particularly if he ever needs an oichomage. 

In an activity where every little detail seems to be guided by tradition, how do the tokoyama view a non-traditional means to a traditional end?

9 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I remember the wavy mage of Konishiki and Akebono, which kind of made it clear the tokoyama hadn't resorted to any 'artificial' means to deal with their curly hair. It never looked quite right on either of them...

From the pic Ichiro's hair looks like it will grow out into a proper kinky afro and will need chemical straighteners to wrestle it into shape, particularly if he ever needs an oichomage. 

In an activity where every little detail seems to be guided by tradition, how do the tokoyama view a non-traditional means to a traditional end?

Well I've been told that there is at least one wrestler who has/had a  with a well crafted hair piece worked into his own hair.  If there is one, I'd think there were others.  It seems a non traditional approach to a tradition.

This thread seems to have diverged a long way from "New recruits for Aki 2016". Should it be split perhaps?

• Like 2

not sure, i couldn't hear too well in the video post, and i was more interested in learning what Ichiro's shikona will be.  i've seen Konishiki give advice to other young foreigners, that young canadian boy got some type of Konishiki, the footage i saw was about how to push with your arms and how using your elbow is legal...

Now you all imagine a pale, nordic type, i.e. from scandinavia or germany with glowing, golden hair (like i had it 20 years ago...had...:'-(), tied to a chonmage. Well, just think about Thor, but FAT. Or a ginger, FAT (and male) Sansa Stark.

*MIND BLOWN*

(Laughing...)

1 hour ago, Ogami Ittō said:

Now you all imagine a pale, nordic type, i.e. from scandinavia or germany with glowing, golden hair (like i had it 20 years ago...had...:'-(), tied to a chonmage. Well, just think about Thor, but FAT. Or a ginger, FAT (and male) Sansa Stark.

*MIND BLOWN*

Baruto?

• Like 5

As much as we miss him, he did not have Thor-hair...

• Like 1