kuroimori

Basho Talk - Nagoya Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Hakkaku had very high praise for Takarafuji in his win against Hakuho yesterday, even going so far as to say that he should get two sansho this basho.

How about getting kachi-koshi first?
  • Like 1

Hakkaku had very high praise for Takarafuji in his win against Hakuho yesterday, even going so far as to say that he should get two sansho this basho.

Maybe he gets 2 kachi-koshi...?

• Like 4

Hakuho seemed to avoid grabbing Kotoyuki's mawashi today even though he had ample choice and threw a few tsuppari. Wonder if he's amusing himself by imitating the fighting style of the dude he's fighting...

Speaking of tsuppari, its good to see Aoiyama's finding some space to unload a storm on the dohyo.

• Like 2

At 5-1 he's not too far off now.

Harumafuji always looks one step away from either blasting himself or being blasted off the dohyo. I guess its his light weight combined with those incredibly explosive muscles.

I doubt it was premeditated, but Takarafuji's winning kotenage yesterday was applied to the arm on which Hakuho always has an elbow support. If that's a particularly weak or sore spot, then other rikishi should think about focusing their attack on that side of his body. Not necessarily a kotenage on the arm, just trying to force Hakuho to attack/defend with that arm.

Nice to see that Sadanoumi has woken up after a year's worth of make-koshi. And Mitakeumi was great today, totally controlled Terunofuji in their bout.

• Like 1

Wow. I might have something to say later, but right now it's all "Wow." Today was absolutely insane. Lots of intense matches and I think my blood pressure increased. I'm dumbstruck.

At 5-1 he's not too far off now.

With injured Yoshikaze and Takayasu also doing fine, it will be a neck and neck race to determine who wins a sansho.

• Like 2

With injured Yoshikaze and Takayasu also doing fine, it will be a neck and neck race to determine who wins a sansho.

Already writing off Takarafuji for a sansho? Harsh, man. Harsh.

• Like 4

It is 3am and I have had a couple of pints so no link, but just checked Doitsuyama's database and there are 15 makushita rikishi 3-0. Very slight chance of a 6-1 thousand-man playoff like not long ago.

It is 3am and I have had a couple of pints so no link, but just checked Doitsuyama's database and there are 15 makushita rikishi 3-0. Very slight chance of a 6-1 thousand-man playoff like not long ago.

15 3-0s in Makushita is normal. 120 rikishi * 1/8 that go 3-0 = 15.

Edited by Gurowake

Well you know that in the next couple of days that number will dwindle down to 7-8 rikishi, and then from there it cuts in half again. But if any of those rikishi are in the same beya then we could be looking at a different story.

Yeah, 16 at 3-0 happens very rarely; at a glance, the last time seems to have been Aki 2011. Occasionally a 16-rikishi equivalent is seen (an early 4-0 in the top ranks + 14 at 3-0), but even that is happening at a rate of less than once per year.

The possibility of the 6-1 playoff exists after Day 6 in almost every basho; it's the subsequent bouts that usually kill it.

There went Oyanagi's 17-0 career start - and most likely also the chance of a direct promotion to Juryo (with a 7-0 result).

Wakanoshima ended this nice streak.

ex-Wakanosato is doing commentaries at NHK today.

Nice to see - and also hear! - from him again after his intai and danpatsu-shiki.

• Like 2

... and ex-Kotooshu was commentator during today's Juryo broadcast at NHK.

• Like 1

What was Chiyootori saying as he was being pushed off the dohyo?

And who was he talking to?

Kotokamatani also lost his first bout, falls to 3-1.

Tamaki in cruise control 4-0.

Chiyootori was trying to protest to Kounosuke that Aoiyama didn't have both hands down and seemed to be saying "Matta! Matta!" Even in real time I could say that Aoiyama only got one hand down and was surprised that Kounosuke or the shimpan let the match continue. However Chiyootori stopped wrestling which is why he lost. Aoiyama apparently felt it could have been a matta and could hear Chiyootori protesting but said, "It's too late at that point if the match is going"

Ichinojo, Chiyokuni, and Shodai have been impressive today.

• Like 1

"I am being pushed of the dohyo! He started it!" ;-)

A bit strange indeed, looked like he claimed to the shimpan that it was a matta, but as a matta of fact, it clearly wasn't.

• Like 1

I guess Takarafuji is now two wins away from getting his "two" sansho now ;-)

Kaisei getting two freebies in one basho. Last time this happened was the 2014 Hatsu basho, Kotoshogiku was the lucky person in that one.