kuroimori

Basho Talk - Nagoya Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Awesome, Terunofuji. Well done.

*slowclap

Awesomely careless by Yoshikaze. He should have know that Terunofuji is really banged up and that he might be tempted or even forced to retreat to henkaism.

So HF didn't want to get into a clinch with Ichi. I can't think why not.

Kudos to Terunofuji or pulling off a good henka this time. The last henka he tried was so lethargic it was like watching a sloth in a sandpaper suit swimming through pudding.

That Ura - Seiro bout was awesome. Seiro went straight back to the Mongolian wrestling in an effort to counter Ura's use of mat wrestling techniques and Ura found himself well matched. So he decided to do some straight up sumo. Great thinking on his part.

Shodai totally looks the goods.

• Like 2

Also it is great to see all these athletic young rikishi forcing their way into the Makuuchi ranks recently and making it look like they deserve to be there. Shodai, Mitakeumi, Daieishou, Kagayaki, Daishomaru, Nishikigi all under the age of 25 and with great future's ahead of them. The future looks pretty good for Japanese born rikishi at the moment

• Like 8

The future Ozeki straight-up beat the future Sekiwake today.

Bad news for Kisenosato: the rainy season was over on day 9 and the heat starts (with high and very uncomfortable humidity). His winning rate so far (lower divisions included) is around 40% at the times when this happened during the Nagoya basho.

Hakuho has 82.1%, but the one who is best among the makuuchi rikishi under these conditions is Takarafuji: 86.7%.

Kaisei has no advantage from being used to humid heat: only 50%.

Shohozan is worse with about 30%.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/1680848.html

• Like 3

It seems Ura had iced and rested his foot well and decided to do a straight fight instead of ''Speshul Takutics''. And the gain? A victory of course. Ura needs two more wins to match his previous basho. Not sure he is going to win two more but I think 9-6 is totally reasonable. Ura doesn't seem like he would retire a tournament over a small ankle injury. Speaking of injury, man he is fast even with his ankle hurting.

Shodai on the other hand took Goeido to school. That was possibly the easiest match Shodai has the whole tournament. Shodai is definedly going to be another Kisenosato. But unlike Kisenosato he will become Yokozuna when Hakuho retires at 50 years of age, one of his hands paralyzed and eyes blinded by his records. Hakuho will not retire because of his age, but because he can no longer sustain 11 wins in nigh every basho but shamefully displays 10-5 records.

Edited by Jyuunomori
  • Like 3

Perhaps because he doesn't need to. Harumafuji is faster, more explosive and has a much greater skill set. That bout was over before Ichinojo knew what happened.

• Like 2

Perhaps because he doesn't need to. Harumafuji is faster, more explosive and has a much greater skill set. That bout was over before Ichinojo knew what happened.

Too true. I was laughing at myself.

• Like 1

Did I hear the gyoji announced Gagamaru's name as "Aaamuuruuu"??

Same school of pronunciation that heralded the transition from "attention" to "ten-hut".

• Like 1

Same school of pronunciation that heralded the transition from "attention" to "ten-hut".

Yeah, it is a bit irritating at first to hear "..Kuhooooouou" or "...Chiooozaaan" with the first syllable usually ccompletely swallowed and the last part with a frail voice that seems to run out of breath.

But that irritation usually turns into admiration rather quickly - at least in my case... ;-)

The gyoji (and yobidashi) calling out the names of the rikishi is presumably a relic of the times before modern PA systems. Now the names, as well as more information, is announced in a way that is much more intelligible to the entire arena by gyoji in the PA booth. The ring gyoji's pronunciation is totally irrelevant.

• Like 2

Takayasu is blazing right now.

Kotoyuki is doing the opposite of that. Attracting light, I guess, not to call him fat or anything.

I'm still trying to figure out whether there are rules to this, or it's just a question of individual gyogi's style.

Yep, the first, and sometimes second syllable are usually lost, and the last always descends, but short names like Endo and Shodai tend to be fully pronounced or even extended; e.g. Endoho-o-o-o...

Then, just to throw a spanner in the works, I'm sure I've heard them pronounce longer names like Takayasu in full from time to time.

I was always asking myself for years, why many Gyoji usually skip the first syllable of a rikishi. But I really like it. Sometimes it sounds really funny. My favourites are "Wannooooyama" (Towanoyama), "Meiiiiiii" (Kamei, nowadays Kizenryu) and "Sacki yama" (Sasakiyama)

Still not sure why gyoji's do that.

I always hope when watching videos of single bouts (from Makushita for example) that the part where the gyoji says the winner's name does exist in the video. Always entertaining. :-D

I'm still trying to figure out whether there are rules to this, or it's just a question of individual gyogi's style.

Yep, the first, and sometimes second syllable are usually lost, and the last always descends, but short names like Endo and Shodai tend to be fully pronounced or even extended; e.g. Endoho-o-o-o...

Then, just to throw a spanner in the works, I'm sure I've heard them pronounce longer names like Takayasu in full from time to time.

Kintamayama has been providing a clue for the past few years as why "Endo" can be drawn out to have two final vowel sounds- it's because it's Endou (えんどう). Thus, the gyoji can split the final syllable into to: En-do-u, which sounds pretty damn similar, but a hairsbreadth short of identical, to En-do-o.

This is not to say that he couldn't possibly call a shikona ending in -ou with one final, if drawn-out, vowel sound. For reference, see "kutenhoooooo" (Kyokutenhou)

Edited by McBugger

...Tamayamaaaa!

Just wanted to yobidashi that.

...roimoriii

• Like 2

I was always asking myself for years, why many Gyoji usually skip the first syllable of a rikishi.

Gyoji speak a variety of Japanese closely analogous with the variety of English spoken by baseball umpires. If "HUYYYYYYYYYY!" is a valid pronunciation for "strike", then "AAAAHMOOOO!" is perfectly correct for Gagamaru.

• Like 3

So, you guys sure the gyoji didn't do a face-palm thinking "dang it, Amuuru's the skinny one!" back in the gyoji area after the bout?

A propos of this discussion, doesn't anyone think that "nokotta" the gyoji yell sounds more like "taragu" or something like that?