Manekineko

Historical photos ppt

I'm usually not one to forward powerpoints with interesting or inspiring photos, but the history buff in me couldn't resist this one. Some Japan-related photos, some WW2, some US... Some are simply excellent photos.

Link to the thing.

If I had to choose a favorite, it's a surreal group (family?) photo of 9 European kings in 1910. I can ID poor Nicolas II (sitting in the middle) and I guess Edward VII who was the host (standing second from the left). Since I'm too lazy to do the research for the others, that's all you get. ;-)

• Like 4

Actually it's not Nicholas II. It is George V. They looked very much alike. It's Kaiser Wilhelm standing behind him.

OK now I've got to look it up.

From Wikipedia:

The Nine Sovereigns at Windsor for the funeral of King Edward VII. Standing, from left to right: King Haakon VII of Norway, Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria, King Manuel II of Portugal, Kaiser Wilhelm II of the German Empire, King George I of Greece and King Albert I of Belgium. Seated, from left to right: King Alfonso XIII of Spain, King-Emperor George V of the United Kingdom and King Frederick VIII of Denmark.

:-) Yay for people doing work in my place.

I've run out of 'likes', so I'm saying it.

My favourite is the one with Mark Twain.

Actually it's not Nicholas II. It is George V. They looked very much alike. It's Kaiser Wilhelm standing behind him.

Not surprisingly, those 3 being grandsons of Queen Victoria (Wilhelm simply has the wrong beard).

It would surely be tedious to check how the others in the photo are related, but definitely a family photo.

Edited by Akinomaki

Am I the only one doubting the authenticity of some of these photos?

Which ones did you think were dodgy?

I admit, the Tesla/Twain pic was one of them. And I admit I didn't bother to look elsewhere, or I might have found the Wright Bros. photo, too...

Which ones did you think were dodgy?

I admit, the Tesla/Twain pic was one of them. And I admit I didn't bother to look elsewhere, or I might have found the Wright Bros. photo, too...

Can't blame you for being sceptical. This iconic one by Robert Capa, for example, was faked.http://www.oddee.com/item_96803.aspx

a96803_a502_robertcapa.jpg

• Like 1