Goryu ms12 Hishofuji

Tokushinho ms13 Mugendai

Shosei ms14 Onami

Okinofuji ms15 Tochihiryu

• Like 2

Finally, sekiwake Tochinoshin!

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

About the only thing that makes any sense to me regarding Takayasu vs. Mitakeumi can also be seen in how Shodai (9-6 M6w) failed to get M1w last basho over Takarafuji (6-9 Kw), but Tochiozan (8-7 M5e) did get M1w over Okinoumi (6-9 Kw) this basho: they are generally biased against rikishi new to the division. The only other explanation is that they intentionally do what's not expected based on recent past situations just to be weird.

About the only thing that makes any sense to me regarding Takayasu vs. Mitakeumi can also be seen in how Shodai (9-6 M6w) failed to get M1w last basho over Takarafuji (6-9 Kw), but Tochiozan (8-7 M5e) did get M1w over Okinoumi (6-9 Kw) this basho: they are generally biased against rikishi new to the division. The only other explanation is that they intentionally do what's not expected based on recent past situations just to be weird.

New committee in charge for the first time would be my explanation. Makushita also looks a lot different with 4-3's being favoured over 5-2's again (unlike the last couple of years) and MKs being dropped less harshly than before.

Notable straight-up deviation from a recent case:

2015.07->09:

Sw Ichinojo 4-11 -> M4e

M2e Takayasu 6-9 -> M3w

2016.05->07:

Sw Ikioi 4-11 -> M4w

M2e Shodai 6-9 -> M5e

Yeah, going through the lower divisions I definitely saw that I was high with all my 5-2s and low with all my 4-3s in Makushita, when normally I'm low on 5-2s. Definitely major change-up of personnel.

Musashikuni makes his Makushita division debut at ms54w.

• Like 1

Amidst all the bad rumors going around, Homarenishiki is ranked at Jonidan 37 West - his last ever banzuke appearance...?

Terunofuji's been doing well in keiko recently, but the real test is next month. Will he be able to avoid the drop?

I can't believe that noone has exact informations about what is/was going on with Homarenishiki. I don't even want to know what happened right now, i just want a definite statement if he is in, or out. Time WILL in the end reveal, what happened. Come on guys, this is the age of the internet, you can't hide the truth forever anymore. That's one point that really annoys me, regarding the japanese culture, all that keeping it secret so that nobody looses his face. I thought they learned from earlier scandals, but obviously i was wrong. In the end it will blow and the damage will be even more devastating. BAKA!

Congrats to Shin Sekiwake's Kaisei and Tochinoshin, as well as Shin Komusubi Kotoyuki (well, it is his debut at that rank)

• Like 1

the pics as overview fit in here - nothing new for him, but he's in the focus
4.jpgo 4.jpgo sum16062710280002-m1.jpgo bt-ta-kise160627-w200_0.jpgo 20160627-OHT1I50054-N.jpgo 20160627-OYT1I50016-N.jpgo b_09227166.jpgo

kiseP2016062703260-w200_0.jpgos.jpgo
the new sekiwake - the sekiwake rank all in the hands of foreigners

Kaisei, with Tomozuna-oyakata
sum16062717450005-m1.jpgo20160627-OHT1I50076-N.jpgo kaiseiP2016062703969-w200_0.jpgos.jpgo

Tochinoshin, with Kasugano-oyakata

bt-hama-20160627-tochinosin1-w200_0.jpgos.jpgo

new makuuchi Kitaharima, with Yamahibiki-oyakata

sp-hama-20160627-kitaharima1-w200_0.jpgo b_09228147.jpgo s.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

Congrats to Shin Sekiwake's Kaisei and Tochinoshin, as well as Shin Komusubi Kotoyuki (well, it is his debut at that rank)

Incidentally, the NSK's banzuke topics update (not yet available in English) points out that the Kaisei/Tochinoshin sekiwake debuts are coming on the heels of those by Kotoyuki and Ikioi two months ago. It's the first time since 1944 (!) that there are back-to-back double debuts at the rank.

Also, Tochinoshin is the first rikishi ever to go komusubi -> makushita -> sekiwake.

• Like 9

... Tochinoshin is the first rikishi ever to go komusubi -> makushita -> sekiwake.

Is that the result of an East/West cultural difference?

"I'll do better if I stop to get myself fixed up" vs "I need fixing up, but I daren't stop and lose rank".

I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully a few of the younger, less hidebound Japanese/Mongolian rikishi will take note...

By making it to Sekiwake, both Kaisei and Tochinoshin have tied with their shisho for career highest rank.

• Like 1

Now that Kaisei and Tochinoshin are on an Ozeki run (in the titled ranks and on winning streak counts as the start of an Ozeki run), I wonder how many Ozeki we can manage to get at one time? I think the association would start to get a bit worried if they end up with say six to eight Ozeki all at the same time. ;-)

Not that I expect it to happen.

Now that Kaisei and Tochinoshin are on an Ozeki run (in the titled ranks and on winning streak counts as the start of an Ozeki run), I wonder how many Ozeki we can manage to get at one time? I think the association would start to get a bit worried if they end up with say six to eight Ozeki all at the same time. ;-)

Not that I expect it to happen.

Any more than 7 Y + O is pretty much unsustainable. There have been 8 for very short periods of time, but they didn't last very long and the one I'm most thinking of had tons of them from the same heya (Musashimaru, Musoyama, Dejima, Miyabayama), which helps a whole lot, and note how two of those didn't stay Ozeki all that long. The previous and only other instance, before Futahaguro's retirement, was stable for a while with 7 after he left, but there were a ton of 8-7 records; I have to think that if Futahaguro stayed around, one of the other Ozeki wouldn't have been able to stay as long as he did.

While we might say that Ichinojo, Osunaarashi, Mitakeumi, and Shodai are all decent calls for Ozeki in the long-term, the reality is that it's unlikely any of them will make it until the 6 old guys up top have mostly retired. Tochinoshin and Kaisei are at or past their peak and even Kotomitsuki who made Ozeki well past a normal age showed much higher promise when he first came up than either of the two new Sekiwake.

Edited by Gurowake

I believe Kotoyuki has it in him to be a chiyotaikai-like ozeki. Maybe not with 3 yusho, but at least a regular fix.

Incidentally, the NSK's banzuke topics update (not yet available in English) points out that the Kaisei/Tochinoshin sekiwake debuts are coming on the heels of those by Kotoyuki and Ikioi two months ago. It's the first time since 1944 (!) that there are back-to-back double debuts at the rank.

Also, Tochinoshin is the first rikishi ever to go komusubi -> makushita -> sekiwake.

I was thinking about this when I saw the banzuke, I was pretty sure it was a rare occurrence but nice to know how rare it certainly was! Nice to see Tochinoshin finally seeing his efforts paying off.

• Like 1

A very short shikona change list this time, only three in addition to the already-announced shin-Juryo Shimanoumi.

J14w Hamaguchi > Shimanoumi (志摩ノ海)

Mk55e Mizuta > Takakento (貴健斗)

Jd55w Nakatsuji > Kaishinmaru (魁新丸)

Jd73e Hayashi > Akitoba (諒兎馬)

Seems like it was an eye problem that caused Dairaido to be kyujo for the first time in his career in the Natsu basho. As a result, he has dropped to the Sandanme division for the first time since 1999 Kyushu!

Dairaido.jpg

• Like 5

And the same distribution in the morning papers
4.jpgo sum16062805020002-m1.jpgo bat_kise01m_160628-w200_0.jpgo 20160627-OHT1I50139-N.jpgo b_09229627.jpgo PK2016062802100079_size2.jpgo 377346_0_00.jpgo G20160628012862000_thum.jpgos.jpg s.jpg

20160627-OHT1I50142-N.jpgo G20160628012862010_thum.jpgosum16062805000004-m1.jpgo

Japanese and foreign clearly divided by kimono color

G20160628012862050_thum.jpgo20160627-OHT1I50141-N.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Trivia quiz: what makes this banzuke special, along with 2015.01, 2007.01, and 2003.09?

Kotoyuki showed his potential to be the next Ozeki by going 7-8 in his Sekiwake debut. He can use another "go to" technique/skill if he wants to be an Ozeki.

My random thoughts on Nagoya Basho:

• I will follow how Mitakeumi does against all the top dogs. If he goes 7-8 in Nagoya, I'd be really happy.
  • How well can Shodai recover from his first makekoshi? I think he will go somewhere near 10-5 in this basho.
  • Another tournament win for Hakuho? Very likely if he is fully healthy. He was unstoppable at the last basho.
  • Did Aminishki & Terunofusi fully recovered from their injury? My gut says "no" on Aminishki and "yes" on Terunofusi.
  • Can Ura win enough at Nagoya to join the Macuuchi division? I hope so but I think it will be really close. Ditto for Satoyama.
  • Can Hattorizakura win another match? Hmmm. I say that's a 20:1 long shot.
Edited by robnplunder

Does Gagamaru move up since Toyonoshima is out?

Edited by Manekineko
quote mishap