kuroimori

Banzuke Nagoya 2016

Nope. There's just an odd number in Makunouchi when they go to do the pairings, so a Juryo guy will visit every day, and then a Makushita guy visits Juryo, and so on. Aminishiki is also likely to miss some/many days, so that may not come to pass.

Edited by Manekineko
quote mishap

Kotoyuki has shown that, whatever else one might say about the material aspects of his sumo, his mental game is high-tier stuff. If you can intimidate or otherwise unnerve your opponent, your odds of winning take a steep upward spike. I don't feel comfortable to say whether he's ozeki material or not, but if not, then I think it's at least safe to say that he's going to be a fixture of the upper portion of the banzuke for years to come. And I do not believe he has peaked yet. (I do regret that the NHK's new service will not edit in any owl footage.)

Of course, my main man is Osunaarashi. And I adore him, but I'm anticipating a tough tournament for him. He's surrounded by very game opponents who are assuredly not going to make his life easy. Still, he's my guy, so I'll be cheering no matter what. Who knows? Maybe this'll be the tournament where he finally gets a title! Wishing the best of luck to him.

• Like 2

Of course, my main man is Osunaarashi. And I adore him, but I'm anticipating a tough tournament for him. He's surrounded by very game opponents who are assuredly not going to make his life easy. Still, he's my guy, so I'll be cheering no matter what. Who knows? Maybe this'll be the tournament where he finally gets a title! Wishing the best of luck to him.

Bold/UL mine. Did you, um, misspell Sansho? That would be a slight bit more realistic.

edit: Maybe you actually meant sanyaku title? I took it to mean Makuuchi championship for some reason. A Sansho would likely mean a good enough record to make sanyaku though.

Edited by Gurowake

Kotoyuki has shown that, whatever else one might say about the material aspects of his sumo, his mental game is high-tier stuff. If you can intimidate or otherwise unnerve your opponent, your odds of winning take a steep upward spike. I don't feel comfortable to say whether he's ozeki material or not, but if not, then I think it's at least safe to say that he's going to be a fixture of the upper portion of the banzuke for years to come. And I do not believe he has peaked yet. (I do regret that the NHK's new service will not edit in any owl footage.)

I humbly agree with your assessment.

They took his graceful bow away. He got a Kinboshi.

They took his bark away. He got a Sansho.

They took his Sekiwake away. He got Komusubi in return.

I believe were looking at a future Ozeki. Someone has to take Kisenosato's place, Terunofuji's as well if he can heal enough. 24 years of age is prime time.

• Like 3

Bold/UL mine. Did you, um, misspell Sansho? That would be a slight bit more realistic.

edit: Maybe you actually meant sanyaku title? I took it to mean Makuuchi championship for some reason. A Sansho would likely mean a good enough record to make sanyaku though.

Yes, I thought that would be understood as "[sanyaku] title."