Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New recruits for Nagoya 2016

Actually not really a new recruit yet:
Ichiro Young (17, 176cm, 100kg) from Texas with a Japanese mother and (double) nationality made a trial entry for a week into Musashigawa-beya. Just graduated from Houston High and dreams of becoming a pilot - but also wants to try sumo: "Everything about it is fun", his mother encouraged him to do it. In his summer vacations since 4th grade primary school he went to a school in Nagasaki, the home of his mother, and speaks a bit Japanese.
The oyakata: "His movements aren't bad. He's giving his best."
http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2016/06/04/0009149779.shtml
f_09149780.jpg

• Like 2

also wants to try sumo: "Everything about it is fun"

hmm......

Man, he's short.

Man, he's short.

Compared to Musashimaru? Probably.

I suppose he'll use Nagasaki as his shusshin if he does decide to enter, since he's got the dual nationality and that's where his mother is from.

Arm wrestling Japan juniors runner-up - I hope that's the reading: Kinjo (錦城, 18, 185cm, 130kg) from Amagasaki-city, Hyogo, enters Kokonoe-beya.

He left his Osaka high school in the 1st year to aim to become a professional fighter, went to a dojo while working and also started arm wrestling. A former Kokonoe-beya member and friend made him to watch sumo live at the Haru basho: "I entered simply with the wish to get strong. I heard that in martial arts sumo is the strongest, and because I want to get strong I thought that I want to do sumo."
http://www.daily.co.jp/sumo/2016/07/01/0009240189.shtml
f_09240190.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki

Arm wrestling Japan juniors runner-up - I hope that's the reading: Kinjo (錦城, 18, 185cm, 130kg) from Amagasaki-city, Hyogo, enters Kokonoe-beya.

Won't make it past maezumo.

• Like 1

I say he MKs at jonokuchi one or two times.

Steak?

Sure. But keep in mind that the two times in the past that I was sure about this I got it right..

Steak?

Sure. But keep in mind that the two times in the past that I was sure about this I got it right..

I'll play conservative this time, thank you very much.

3 new recruits for the shin-deshi kensa tomorrow, the usual Nagoya slump.
The 2 others (apart from the steak future MMA fighter) are Kawaguchi (15) from Kagoshima for Shikihide- and Mochizuki (20) from Yamanashi for Otake-beya.
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20160703/sum16070317460005-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki

All 3 passed the initial exam and wait for the result of the medicals, announced on day 1.

Arm wrestler and MMA aspirant Kinjo (for that he trained karate etc.) was top in both with 184cm, 129kg. He met the ex-Kokonoe friend in a gym and not just wants to get strong (for a future MMA career), but has a proper sumo goal: "I want to reach sekitori within 2 years."

http://www.tv-aichi.co.jp/news/2016/07/post-1586.html

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20160704/sum16070416350004-n1.html

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20160704/sum16070417550005-n1.html

%E7%9B%B8%E6%92%B2%EF%BC%91tva.jpg%E7%9B%B8%E6%92%B2%EF%BC%92tva.jpg%E7%9B%B8%E6%92%B2%EF%BC%93tva.jpg

Kawaguchi (15) from Kagoshima for Shikihide- and Mochizuki (20) from Yamanashi for Otake-beya.

Kawaguchi (15, 183cm, 111kg) got the diagnoses autism from 5th to 6th year primary school. He left high school to enter ozumo.

So far he had tried shot put, rugby and swimming but didn't last long at any of it. His mother picked Shikihide-beya for him: "In any case, I hate half measures. This time for sure I want to succeed. I don't need to rise high, I just want to do it without regret."

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/sumo/news/CK2016070502000152.html

on the bed, Mochizuki next

PK2016070502100047_size0.jpg

Kawaguchi (15) from Kagoshima for Shikihide- and Mochizuki (20) from Yamanashi for Otake-beya.

Kawaguchi (15, 183cm, 111kg) got the diagnoses autism from 5th to 6th year primary school. He left high school to enter ozumo.

So far he had tried shot put, rugby and swimming but didn't last long at any of it. His mother picked Shikihide-beya for him: "In any case, I hate half measures. This time for sure I want to succeed. I don't need to rise high, I just want to do it without regret."

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/sumo/news/CK2016070502000152.html

on the bed, Mochizuki next

PK2016070502100047_size0.jpg

That's interesting - do we have any other autistic rikishi? Sumo may be a friendly sport for those with this condition.

Edited by bettega

All 3 passed the initial exam and wait for the result of the medicals, announced on day 1.

Arm wrestler and MMA aspirant Kinjo (for that he trained karate etc.) was top in both with 184cm, 129kg. He met the ex-Kokonoe friend in a gym and not just wants to get strong (for a future MMA career), but has a proper sumo goal: "I want to reach sekitori within 2 years."

A short comment on TV yesterday about him and the shin-deshi kensa, the video is on this page:

http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlines/articles/CONN00329627.html

- to confirm the reading of his name

Edited by Akinomaki

The media apparently like the story, a long article with several pics: http://www.sankei.com/sports/news/160709/spo1607090005-n1.html

Made it to the Sankei premium news as well.

He started karate in 5th year primary school and has no sumo experience at all, but: "I think I'm not delicate when it comes to pain."

The rikishi he admires is the oyakata, ex-Chiyonofuji - when he met him first - "he had a terrific aura" - he nearly couldn't talk to him.

The hand grip power test showed right 66kg, left 56kg - he wasn't pleased with the measuring: "At bench press I can do 200kg."

He is realistic: "I'd like to make use of it, but the muscles to be used are different."

spo1607090005-p1.jpg

spo1607090005-p3.jpg

• Like 1

NSK data:

SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Kawaguchi 川口 Norihiro Kawaguchi Shikihide 183 111 26 - July - 2000 Kagoshima
Kinjo 錦城 Yusei Kinjo Kokonoe 184 129 28 - February - 1998 Hyogo
Mochizuki 望月 Hiromu Mochizuki Otake 173 91 08 - March - 1996 Yamanashi
  • Like 3

Day 3...seven deshi in total, including another biggish crowd of three returnees plus newcomer Umeno who failed to participate two months ago. (Do we know if Umeno has a collegiate background?)

Results:

Mz1 Kotomiyakura (0-1) Mz2 Umeno (1-0)

Mz3 Ikeru (1-0) Mz4 Tsugaruumi (0-1)

Mz5 Mochizuki (1-0) Mz6 Kawaguchi (0-1)

Mz1 Kotomiyakura (0-2) Mz7 Kinjo (1-0)

Kinjo doing a good job of tenderizing that steak there...

Standings (maybe a bit pointless with so few participants...):

Mz2 Umeno Sakaigawa 1-0 | Mz1 Kotomiyakura Sadogatake 0-2

Mz3 Ikeru Onomatsu 1-0 | Mz4 Tsugaruumi Tamanoi 0-1

Mz5 Mochizuki Otake 1-0 | Mz6 Kawaguchi Shikihide 0-1

Mz7 Kinjo Kokonoe 1-0

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

Day 3...seven deshi in total, including another biggish crowd of three returnees plus newcomer Umeno who failed to participate two months ago. (Do we know if Umeno has a collegiate background?)

Yes, 4th year Nichidai graduate. Still shown for the time being on this page, on the right of the second row in the 4th year group. He suffered a knee injury in a tournament last October and had surgery on it, the recovery wasn't quite complete in time for him to compete in May, I think.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 2

Yes, 4th year Nichidai graduate. Still shown for the time being on this page, on the right of the second row in the 4th year group. He suffered a knee injury in a tournament last October and had surgery on it, the recovery wasn't quite complete in time for him to compete in May, I think.

Thanks. I see he's turned 23 already, maybe they knew he wasn't fit to compete yet but had to register him in May anyway to beat the deadline.

Big weight loss from his last Nichidai update to the shindeshi-kensa, 118 -> 104 kg.

Edited by Asashosakari

Kinjo doing a good job of tenderizing that steak there...

We shall see how King Joe does. You count the money in the staircase, as we say here..

Day 4:

Results:

Mz1 Kotomiyakura (0-3) Mz4 Tsugaruumi (1-1)

Mz3 Ikeru (1-1) Mz2 Umeno (2-0)

Mz5 Mochizuki (1-1) Mz7 Kinjo (2-0)

Mz1 Kotomiyakura (1-3) Mz6 Kawaguchi (0-2)

Umeno might have tweaked his other knee there...

Standings:

Mz2 Umeno Sakaigawa 2-0 | Mz1 Kotomiyakura Sadogatake 1-3 | Mz6 Kawaguchi Shikihide 0-2

Mz7 Kinjo Kokonoe 2-0 | Mz3 Ikeru Onomatsu 1-1

Mz4 Tsugaruumi Tamanoi 1-1

Mz5 Mochizuki Otake 1-1

Umeno-Kinjo to determine the "winner" tomorrow. And I hope they do Kotomiyakura-Ikeru in the middle block to put the Sadogatake returnee on course to facing all six opponents... (Only Ikeru and Mochizuki left.)

• Like 2

Gyoji got the Kinjo winner wrong. Ensuing was a very funny dialogue with ex-Terao..

This Kawaguchi is so bad, look at his posture. Kinjo's win was so clear, how did the gyoji get that wrong ? The guy looks promising though, I can picture him in Jonokuchi in one basho. :-D

• Like 1