Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Heya moves

2 heya will be moving to new locations. Takanohana beya is leaving its historic residence in Nakano to a building closer to the KKan in Kotoku. The move will happen in June. The historic location which housed Fujishima beya that turned into Futagoyama beya and that is now Takanohana beya is located in a quiet neighborhood off the beaten path of other heya. I was there in 1998 and got to meet Takanohana and Wakanohana in their prime. Famous graduates - Takanohana, Wakanohana, Takanonami, Takatouriki and Akinoshima -the 5 guys who regularly populated sanyaku/the joi ranks at the same time, creating the famous Futagoyama Factor.

Azumazeki beya is planning to move next year from the current premises in Sumida-ku close to the KKan to Katsushika-ku, and I have no idea where that is other than that it is in Tokyo.. The current place which was run by ex-Takamiyama before he bequeathed it to the current Oyakata (ex- Ushiomary), does not have space for the Oyakata to live in, so he was essentially looking for a new place where it would be easier for him to work. "Young guys are joining. I shall gambarize dutifully," said current Azumazeki. Famous graduates- Akebono and Takamisakari.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 8

The current place which was run by ex-Takamiyama before he bequeathed it to the current Oyakata (ex- Ushiomary), does not have space for the Oyakata to live in, so he was essentially looking for a new place where it would be easier for him to work.

I guess there wasn't enough space there for his little lamb ;-) It's probably growing up fast!

Edited by Senkoho

The current place which was run by ex-Takamiyama before he bequeathed it to the current Oyakata (ex- Ushiomary), does not have space for the Oyakata to live in, so he was essentially looking for a new place where it would be easier for him to work.

I guess there wasn't enough space there for his little lamb ;-) It's probably growing up fast!

Oh no - no error.. it was how he was fondly called here..

Ohhh, you're no fun anymore!

(I surrender...)

Any word on what will happen to the physical properties where those 2 heya currently are? I guess I'm asking if they're going to keep them or sell them off. Wouldn't they be worth quite a bit of money, being located in the Tokyo metro area?

The buildings, especially Takanohana-beya, are probably due for replacement at about 30 years old, and used buildings are generally not considered valuable in Japan. The land, on the other hand, is quite valuable.

2 heya will be moving to new locations. Takanohana beya is leaving its historic residence in Nakano to a building closer to the KKan in Kotoku. The move will happen in June. The historic location which housed Fujishima beya that turned into Futagoyama beya and that is now Takanohana beya is located in a quiet neighborhood off the beaten path of other heya. I was there in 1998 and got to meet Takanohana and Wakanohana in their prime. Famous graduates - Takanohana, Wakanohana, Takanonami, Takatouriki and Akinoshima -the 5 guys who regularly populated sanyaku/the joi ranks at the same time, creating the famous Futagoyama Factor.

Azumazeki beya is planning to move next year from the current premises in Sumida-ku close to the KKan to Katsushika-ku, and I have no idea where that is other than that it is in Tokyo.. The current place which was run by ex-Takamiyama before he bequeathed it to the current Oyakata (ex- Ushiomary), does not have space for the Oyakata to live in, so he was essentially looking for a new place where it would be easier for him to work. "Young guys are joining. I shall gambarize dutifully," said current Azumazeki. Famous graduates- Akebono and Takamisakari.

And while we're going down memory lane, a recent anniversary: the father, Ozeki Takanohana, then Futagoyama oyakata, died on May 30th 2005, aged 55. Now That's the Takanohana I really liked.

Orion

• Like 3

Katsushika-ku after googling is the North-Eastern most ward in Tokyo. It is bordered by Edogawa-ku to the south, Matsudo City, Misato City, and Yashio City of Chiba to it's Northeast, and across the Arakawa is Adachi-ward to the West. The JR Joban line, JR Sobu Main line, and the Keisei line runs through it. Major stations would include Aoto and Keisei Takasago of the Keisei line, Shin-Koiwa of the JR Sobu Main Line, and most likely Kanamachi of the JR Joban line as that appears to be a transfer station of sorts, although I'm not too familiar with the Joban line.

Azumazeki beya is planning to move next year from the current premises in Sumida-ku close to the KKan to Katsushika-ku, and I have no idea where that is other than that it is in Tokyo.. The current place which was run by ex-Takamiyama before he bequeathed it to the current Oyakata (ex- Ushiomary), does not have space for the Oyakata to live in, so he was essentially looking for a new place where it would be easier for him to work. "Young guys are joining. I shall gambarize dutifully," said current Azumazeki.

Apparently Katsushika ward worked to get them move there - as a tourist attraction, to have something more than Tora-san.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Katsushika-ku after googling is the North-Eastern most ward in Tokyo. It is bordered by Edogawa-ku to the south, Matsudo City, Misato City, and Yashio City of Chiba to it's Northeast, and across the Arakawa is Adachi-ward to the West. The JR Joban line, JR Sobu Main line, and the Keisei line runs through it. Major stations would include Aoto and Keisei Takasago of the Keisei line, Shin-Koiwa of the JR Sobu Main Line, and most likely Kanamachi of the JR Joban line as that appears to be a transfer station of sorts, although I'm not too familiar with the Joban line.

Lived there for a few months (near JR Shin-Koiwa Station), looked quiet and normal to me, but when I mentioned this to my japanese friends or colleagues, their eyes got a bit bigger and they were a bit concerned. Apparently some yakuza groups are also located there. I don't remember too well, but I thought there already was a heya in this ward.

Azumazeki beya is planning to move next year from the current premises in Sumida-ku close to the KKan to Katsushika-ku, and I have no idea where that is other than that it is in Tokyo.. The current place which was run by ex-Takamiyama before he bequeathed it to the current Oyakata (ex- Ushiomary), does not have space for the Oyakata to live in, so he was essentially looking for a new place where it would be easier for him to work. "Young guys are joining. I shall gambarize dutifully," said current Azumazeki.

Apparently Katsushika ward worked to get them move there - as a tourist attraction, to have something more than Tora-san.

Lived there for a few months (near JR Shin-Koiwa Station), looked quiet and normal to me, but when I mentioned this to my japanese friends or colleagues, their eyes got a bit bigger and they were a bit concerned. Apparently some yakuza groups are also located there. I don't remember too well, but I thought there already was a heya in this ward.

Kagamiyama-beya is the 1st there, but Azumazeki-beya will move of the heart of Katsushika: Shibamata, the home of Tora-san.http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/sumo/20160601-OYT1T50053.html

20160601-OYT1I50009-L.jpg

And of course: "o-sumo-san ha tsurai yo"

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

At the new Takanohana-beya the o-kami-san was giving out chanko to the residents of the area

f-sumo-takanohana160727yg-w200_0.jpgosty1607270015-g3.jpgo

spo1607270032-n1.jpgosum16072717440003-m1.jpgoG20160727013046890_thum.jpgo

the rikishi had a photo taken in front and also handed out the chanko

sty1607270015-p2.jpg

sty1607270015-g1.jpgo

• Like 3

The opening ceremony of the dohyo at the new Takanohana-beya on the 27th.

G20160728013049530_view.jpg

Chanko was given to about 500 related people and residents of the Higashisuna area in Koto ward.

The rikishi have just returned from Nagoya, Takonoiwa went to Mongolia (the Sumo World Championships there start on the 30th). http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1685602.html

bt-takanohana-kc20160728-ogp_0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

On 27.6.2016 at 18:03, Akinomaki said:

The next heya that plans to move is Yamahibiki-beya - next year, away from the old Kitanoumi-beya location, a move inside Koto ward.

The ground-breaking ceremony was on Sep. 9th at the new location in Higashisuna. The 3storey building is planned to be ready next April and before or after the Natsu-basho the dohyo-biraki ceremony will take place. http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20160930-OHT1T50018.html

20160930-OHT1I50006-L.jpg

• Like 1

On 27.6.2016 at 18:03, Akinomaki said:

The next heya that plans to move is Yamahibiki-beya - next year, away from the old Kitanoumi-beya location, a move inside Koto ward.

On 3.10.2016 at 13:16, Akinomaki said:

The ground-breaking ceremony was on Sep. 9th at the new location in Higashisuna. The 3storey building is planned to be ready next April and before or after the Natsu-basho the dohyo-biraki ceremony will take place.

Today was the ridgepole-raising ceremony for the new building. Members of the neighborhood were invited and 200 servings of the traditional Kitanoumi-beya salty chanko had been prepared for them. http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20170216-OHT1T50097.html

the oyakata hands out chanko, Kitaharima on the right

20170216-OHT1I50086-L.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/1/2016 at 08:33, Kintamayama said:

Azumazeki beya is planning to move next year from the current premises in Sumida-ku close to the KKan to Katsushika-ku,

The current place which was run by ex-Takamiyama before he bequeathed it to the current Oyakata (ex- Ushiomary), does not have space for the Oyakata to live in, so he was essentially looking for a new place where it would be easier for him to work. "Young guys are joining. I shall gambarize dutifully," said current Azumazeki.

On 6/6/2016 at 18:07, Akinomaki said:

Kagamiyama-beya is the 1st there, but Azumazeki-beya will move of the heart of Katsushika: Shibamata, the home of Tora-san

of course: "o-sumo-san ha tsurai yo"

Heya opening today for the new Azumazeki-beya - the old Azumazeki (Takamiyama) took part, and ichimon sekitori - and training was held. It is a 2 storey building on a 150tsubo premises. Everything for the rikishi is on the ground floor, so that "also injured rikishi won't have to climb the stairs". The 2nd floor has one half for oyakata and okamisan and their newborn 1st daughter (on Jan. 31st) - and the other half is a 20jo (tatami) large room and 2 single rooms for (hopefully) future sekitori.

s.jpg0180218at21_t.jpgo201802190000255-w200_0.jpgo

b_10998803.jpgo  20180218-OHT1I50119-N.jpgo

201802180000468-w200_0.jpgo sty1802180017-g2.jpgo

origin_1.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 2/18/2018 at 10:32, Akinomaki said:

Heya opening today for the new Azumazeki-beya - the old Azumazeki (Takamiyama) took part, and ichimon sekitori - and training was held.

the new heya opening training with Takasago-ichimon sekitori

IP180218TAN000089000_O_1.jpg

After the heya opening, a party to celebrate the event was held in the kokugikan, with about 500 sumo world related guests, Hakkaku-rijicho as the main. http://www.at-s.com/sports/article/shizuoka/sumo/459397.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After Azumazeki-beya this year, Kokonoe-beya is the next heya that plans to move to Katsushika ward - for Aki 2020.

The oyakata sent a video message to the press conference at the ward office on the 22nd. The ward will rent to the heya a 510 sq-m area in Okudo 1chome, for 50 years starting next spring http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASLCQ5473LCQUTIL01X.html

AS20181122005158_commL.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2018 at 17:25, Akinomaki said:

After Azumazeki-beya this year, Kokonoe-beya is the next heya that plans to move to Katsushika ward - for Aki 2020.

The oyakata sent a video message to the press conference at the ward office on the 22nd. The ward will rent to the heya a 510 sq-m area in Okudo 1chome, for 50 years starting next spring

NHK news clip with the video message of Kokonoe-oyakata http://www3.nhk.or.jp/shutoken-news/20181202/0022049.html

• Like 2