Morningstar

New rule suggestion No Bashing Sumo participants

10 posts in this topic

I would like to suggest a new rule be added. This is a variant on one that has been very useful on other Martial Arts forums I frequent.

No Rikishi/Fighter/Sumo Participant (oyakata, gyōji, ect...) bashing. This is defined as personal attacks and name calling against them. I would suggest that this be placed into the Strongly discouraged actions section.But, depending on ADmin opinion may warrant placement in the Forbidden actions section.

1 person likes this

I'm gonna lean right of center here and say that the definition of bashing can easily become too strictly defined and become a restriction on speech. There are already rules against profanity, and mods warn people when debate gets too heated.

5 people like this

"Izutsu is unfit for being a shimpan" - to ban this would be ridiculous - it may even be in the press as "voice of the fans".

"Hakuho is a disgrace to sumo and should retire" - ban this on a sumo forum? Talk like that is what it is all about.

"Hakuho is a disgrace to mankind" - banning this would be OK - but no need to have a rule for it.

3 people like this

There is no need to get into the free speech zones and political correctness stuff just because someone is saying "mean things" about wrestlers, shimpans, etc. These aren't criminal offenses, and you walk a fine line when you try to limit free speech on the internet. And on a forum like this where it is one of the most civil that I have been on, the criticism thrown at these figures is actually quite generous compared to things I've seen on other forums.

3 people like this

Everybody's right here. Everybody has the right to express his opinion, we all know that, but I know what Morningstar means, I think.

Speaking as someone who's weighed in for Ichinojo at least once, when a rikishi you like is already in difficulty it can be extremely hurtful to find disparaging remarks about him on top of that.

It keeps me out of every 'Basho talk' thread. I almost never look at them.

Call me a wimp.

Wimp. haha just kidding. I don't think anyone here would want one of these university safe zones, after all sumo is a violent, cruel sport and we all love it. We here in the states do enough self-censoring just to keep in school or keep our jobs... the internet is the last bastion of free speech. Don't take this away from us.

Wimp. haha just kidding. I don't think anyone here would want one of these university safe zones, after all sumo is a violent, cruel sport and we all love it. We here in the states do enough self-censoring just to keep in school or keep our jobs... the internet is the last bastion of free speech. Don't take this away from us.

I'll just stick to Sumo Art, where I feel safer, then.

It's too hard, if not impossible, to effectively police speech on forums fairly. There's nothing wrong with being a jerk, it's when it crosses the line into harassment that mods need to step up. They seem to do a good job here, this is one of the most genial forums I've been in. Policing our own and notifying mods when somebody crosses the line is good enough, I think.

1 person likes this

Free advice: If someone says badybad things and uses swearyswear words, feel free to put them on your ignore list. Then your eyes won't hurt and little [benevolent divine figure or feelgood mascot of your choice] doesn't have to cry.

I do that with authors of dumb stuff. Helps my blood presha.

The length of my ignored list has tripled in the last year.  :-(