Senkoho

Nishikido situation; split from kyujo thread

Hmm, did the corporal punishment he got in Nishikido-beya result in the broken shoulder? I'd pass this as a joke in bad taste, but you can never be sure... Hoping for the best.

I seriously doubt he is eligible for sports scholarship after participation in sumo

Because you are a professional in one sport does not mean you cannot have a college scholarship in a different sport (by NCAA rules). IIRC there have been some guys who played minor league baseball while playing college football.

• Like 1

I doubt Homarenishiki not being on the retired list is much of a sign. It often takes a while to get on that list, and this tends to be when the retirement was planned in advance, and I doubt Brody's was. It would also raise a flag for everybody and then there are more questions to answer.

I seriously doubt he is eligible for sports scholarship after participation in sumo

Because you are a professional in one sport does not mean you cannot have a college scholarship in a different sport (by NCAA rules). IIRC there have been some guys who played minor league baseball while playing college football.

ok. I recall a russian sumo guy who got kicked out of sumo playing college football, though, so maybe it doesn't apply to people who retire.

Lately the NCAA has been super inconsistent in applying the rules, kicking people out who did charity... Etc. It's not so much the pro wage but taking money from advertisers and koenkai that would be the problem.

The Russian guy ex-wakanoho, never got a scholarship from NCAA school, just walk on (means no scholarship) . He did get one from NAIA school, but they operate under different rules, and generally the schools are not as strong academically.

Anyway I think this is going a bit off topic.

Shukan Shincho (even lower reputation than Shukan Post and Gendai) http://www.shinchosha.co.jp/shukanshincho/newest/

has an article in the corner "Wide: Mustn't be told":

5. In newly-wed mood: The mystery of 6 rikishi kyujo at former Mitoizumi's Nishikido-beya

【ワイド】言ってはいけない

(5)新婚ホヤホヤ「元水戸泉」の錦戸部屋で力士6人が本場所休場の怪

I found on the net so far only the title, nothing more in it than in this thread.

All blogs quote this one from one who knows even less: http://sumoarayama.seesaa.net/article/438538794.html

Edited by Akinomaki

Yes, I do a check once or twice a week and have still found next to nothing. Nishinoshima said it will come out sooner or later. I guess it is turning out to be the latter. Ah well. I'd like to think it being under wraps means Brody might be coming back, because if he is gone for good why be so hush hush about it, as he will eventually show up in the retirees or be a no show for Nagoya? But I am a pessimist by nature, and am afraid he's gone for good and that things are dire for Nishikido the man, and the heya.

• Like 2

It's still quite possible that there is some amount of negotiating going on between the parties, and they don't want to give out any information until it's more or less finally resolved. Something is likely still up in the air if there hasn't been any announcement of what's happened yet.

• Like 1

Shukan Shincho (even lower reputation than Shukan Post and Gendai) http://www.shinchosha.co.jp/shukanshincho/newest/

5. In newly-wed mood: The mystery of 6 rikishi kyujo at former Mitoizumi's Nishikido-beya

【ワイド】言ってはいけない

Now that magazine sales are over, they have put it on the web http://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2016/06100552/?all=1

Nishikido-oyakata commented: "The kyujo rikishi all have their individual reasons: injury, diabetes, intai etc. Homarenishiki is back home for treatment of his injured shoulder." "Our keiko ground is glass-sided and completely visible from the outside. Excessive kawaigari is unthinkable."

A veteran reporter: "The problem is that the oyakata nearly never is present at keiko. Injury and kyujo are happening because he doesn't know what's going on in the life and training of the rikishi."

The oyakata to that: "I'm in bad physical condition recently and frequently away to the hospital."

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 7

【ワイド】言ってはいけない

Now that magazine sales are over, they have put it on the web http://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2016/06100552/?all=1

Nishikido-oyakata commented: "The kyujo rikishi all have their individual reasons: injury, diabetes, intai etc. Homarenishiki is back home for treatment of his injured shoulder." "Our keiko ground is glass-sided and completely visible from the outside. Excessive kawaigari is unthinkable."

A veteran reporter: "The problem is that the oyakata nearly never is present at keiko. Injury and kyujo are happening because he doesn't know what's going on in the life and training of the rikishi."

The oyakata to that: "I'm in bad physical condition recently and frequently away to the hospital."

Seems like Homarenishiki should have joined another more reputable heya at the start. Is it because this heya has strong links with former rikishis from the Americas?

(Just realised that the above statement and question might be sound more blunt than they are intended be and shows my lack of knowledge of heya-oyakata-rikishi relationships, just don't know how to put it more delicately).

There aren't very many heya that have spots open for foreigners. Some of those that theoretically have their spot open aren't going to take one regardless. There's very little choice of heya when it comes to foreigners entering Ozumo.

• Like 1

A quick look at the DB shows 33 heya with foreigners currently, though I didn't check for naturalisations. That leaves 11 nominal spots for foreigners, but there are several heya that are opposed to the idea---for one famous example, Dewanoumi. I'm not clued up enough to know how many others would be unwilling to take a foreigner.

Ya, pretty much the only thing stated by the OP (Kitakatadoki) was that they heard Homarenishiki left Japan and quit ozumo. It was like a less detailed version of their post on page 3 of this thread.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

I can confirm through my browser history that my browser was served a topic with the title "Canadian Homarenishiki has quit", but my cache only goes back a month so I do not have the full text saved. My more fallible organic memory of having read that topic is that the only further information in the post beyond that conveyed in the title was that he was back in Canada.

• Like 1

What he doesn't say is that is due to Homarenishiki tossing someone on to him to cause it during a match he was judging.

• Like 3

What he doesn't say is that is due to Homarenishiki tossing someone on to him to cause it during a match he was judging.

This one:

Day 7 - Haru 2016 - against Shohoryu

Edited by bettega
  • Like 1

Not returning. As has been mentioned, story will eventually be out. I'm sure we all wish him the best in his future endeavors.

Brodie posted this picture and text on his Instagram the other day, and if it's recent he's obviously not going for a mage any longer (though I guess the writing was already on the wall):

"Why not right #summer #love #bc #yee 日本 カナダ うれしい:"

13525580_561024880768003_1200941371_n.jp

Edited by Katooshu

Welp, I guess this is it then. Farewell Brodi. I hope we hear about you becoming an awesome person in the future.

That's too bad. He tried it. Wish I had had the opportunity like he did. Didn't work out. Good luck to him in the future.

That's too bad. He tried it. Wish I had had the opportunity like he did. Didn't work out. Good luck to him in the future.

He's like... bullied to hell (as it seems) and "good luck for him, he's got his chance". Doesn't looks right :-|