Senkoho

Nishikido situation; split from kyujo thread

Seems non-English speakers know the word Futon better than the natives........

What are you comparing? 'non-English speakers' vs 'natives'? *confused*

A 'futon' is the general Japanese word for a 'cushion' or 'mattress'. The Japansese usually and traditionally sleep on futons whithout the need of additional 'bed-sorroundings'.

The word is nowadays widely understood around the world.

I think you would have no problem recognising me from my picture.Its a very good likeness

Even if its hard to believe anyone could be that ugly..................Sorry to say I really am...

Acchh... come on! Don't minitiurize (?) you all the time on this forum! You are a fkn freakin' sexy Frank'N'Furter.^^

I like you for being Tim Curry or the Beast! :-)

Everybody, at leat after puberty, has a story to tell. You tell real storries.

My storry is: I'm drunk and I f***d up this post...

• Like 1

Sumo fans should be given more information about Homarenishiki. If conclusions are being drawn, it's because no one is saying anything.

He returned home to Canada last month and is thinking about quitting sumo because he was treated so poorly at Nishikido. Poorly, meaning far worse than the typical bullying of a newcomer. There could be legal action involved.

I have nothing 'legally' prohibiting me from saying this.

How do I know? I'm in Victoria and friend of the family said as much.

Edited by Kitakatadoki
  • Like 6

Sumo fans should be given more information about Homarenishiki. If conclusions are being drawn, it's because no one is saying anything.

He returned home to Canada last month and is thinking about quitting sumo because he was treated so poorly at Nishikido. Poorly, meaning far worse than the typical bullying of a newcomer. There could be legal action involved.

Hmm. If that is the case, why isn't Brodi blowing this story wide open in Canada? It seems he has a legitimate case here and I'm sure that if what you are telling us is true it would cause instant world-wide interest. Could it be that he won't for legal reasons? And if he has returned to Canada he wouldn't be "thinking about quitting sumo" because a rikishi of his ranking does not get to leave for a while for contemplation.. If he left he is done.

Otherwise all this makes no sense.

Edited by Kintamayama

rikishi of his ranking does not get to leave for a while for contemplation

Didn't that guy in that French documentary "quit" for a while and still came back? Can't remember his shikona right now and can't be bothered to search...

Kyokutaisei......how long was he gone for though, and have any low ranking foreigners from about 5000 miles away left Japan for a month only to return?

If what we've heard is true it seems to me like the end of his time in ozumo

Edited by Katooshu

rikishi of his ranking does not get to leave for a while for contemplation

Didn't that guy in that French documentary "quit" for a while and still came back? Can't remember his shikona right now and can't be bothered to search...

Yes, but he was a local boy- Surprisingly many local boys run away for a few days and are returned/return on their own after some persuasion. Some Mongolians of the first generation quit collectively as well and were persuaded to return, but those were different times and they were a group of rikishi.

Well, we shall see soon enough..

Edited by Kintamayama

Apropos of not much, I admit when I first saw the list of lower rankers who went kyujo on day 3, 4 of whom were no-shows for their day 2 matches, my first thought was that whatever was going on at Nishikido had spread to other heya. Of course, some of those rikishi were actually injured during their earlier matches this basho. I have no knowledge of anything other than that, and this was just a bit of a knee-jerk thought, to coin a phrase. I will wait and see what, if anything, comes out, later.

Hmm. If that is the case, why isn't Brodi blowing this story wide open in Canada? It seems he has a legitimate case here and I'm sure that if what you are telling us is true it would cause instant world-wide interest. Could it be that he won't for legal reasons? And if he has returned to Canada he wouldn't be "thinking about quitting sumo" because a rikishi of his ranking does not get to leave for a while for contemplation.. If he left he is done.
Otherwise all this makes no sense.

Why would he say something if he hadn't decided to quit yet? It would make it worse for him if he did decide to go back and had opened his mouth to the public.

Edited by Fukurou

Moti, the extent of the press on Brodi in BC was a republication of the Japan Times article in an obscure part of the local paper, and that only because he was a local boy doing something a bit novel. A sordid sumo story is unlikely to gain a lot of traction in the Canadian market.

I'm not sure the Maezumo guy gave the whole story. 6 rikishi don't go kyujo because one got bullied. Nevertheless I feel bad for Brodi and hope he can get into football or something of the likes if he really quits ozumo...

If Brodi (big IF) does go the legal route and wins, and for some reason he wants to go back into ozumo, would he need to go back to Nishikido or can other heyas recruit him? If can, would other heyas even contemplate recruiting him considering the whole situation?

6 rikishi don't go kyujo because one got bullied.

Maybe that is why the other 5 are kyujo because they were part of it or knew of it and did not say anything. Might as well speculate some more.... (In jonokuchi...)

If he is thinking of legal action then he would have been advised to keep absolutely silent.

• Like 1

What a nightmare! and I was so sure it was some contagious disease that caused the 6 of 8 Nishikido guys to go kyujo...

I am appalled to learn from his situation from ''sources''. I honestly thought that bullying was in the past after 2008-2010 scandals.

Bullying is so beneath my vision of Japanese people, or people who practice sumo in general. I understand the hierarchy system where sekitori rikishi treat sumotori rikishi like servants which include buying stuff, making meals and cleaning. But this is unacceptable.

I have such a good view of sumo and japanese in general so the bullying didn't even come to my mind. Every single person I have met from Japan have been great people.

To me sumo represents competetiveness, sacrifice, self-improvement via vigorous training and forming bonds with your family. It seems I have to re-evaluate what sumo means for certain japanese people. It distresses me to see that such people can even become rikishi.

Edited by Jyuunomori

I am appalled to learn from his situation from ''sources''. I honestly thought that bullying was in the past after 2008-2010 scandals.

Bullying is so beneath my vision of Japanese people, or people who practice sumo in general. I understand the hierarchy system where sekitori rikishi treat sumotori rikishi like servants which include buying stuff, making meals and cleaning. But this is unacceptable.

I have such a good view of sumo and japanese in general so the bullying didn't even come to my mind. Every single person I have met from Japan have been great people.

To me sumo represents competetiveness, sacrifice, self-improvement via vigorous training and forming bonds with your family. It seems I have to re-evaluate what sumo means for certain japanese people. It distresses me to see that such people can even become rikishi.

Sorry to shatter your image that all Japanese people are good people, because there are a few rotten apples in the barrel. As a "gaijin" going through the Japanese education system I did have my fair share of "ijime" while a student. Not so much when I was in elementary school, but the worst part of it was in middle school, and a few problems in high school. Once you get into those age groups the hierarchy starts and as someone starting at the bottom you are usually in for a rude awakening. Even most jobs in Japan as I have learned you'll have sempai-kohai relationships, some good and some bad. Sumo can sometimes be a make or break, the strong survive and the weak dwindle away. It is most unfortunate that Brodi has had to go through yes. Hopefully this can work out.

6 rikishi don't go kyujo because one got bullied.

They would if it was a case of the Kyokai coming down hard on inexcusable bullying in a heya. Then it might be the victim going home, proven perpetrators punished with suspension, and only those not involved at all allowed to compete.

Just speculation, of course. But it fits.

let's not kid ourselves. A lot of fighters, especially top fighters, aren't that stable mentally. Bullying is widespread even in the workplace. Japan is just like any other place, it's not heaven on earth.

In case non-Japanese speakers are unaware what Wakatake meant by 'ijime'... As far as I understand it, it is like reverse bullying. Bullying elsewhere in the world usually involves a bully/bullies who bully several others. For 'ijime', there is usually one victim, and everyone else (i.e. the rest of their class at school) bullies that person.

• Like 1

In case non-Japanese speakers are unaware what Wakatake meant by 'ijime'... As far as I understand it, it is like reverse bullying. Bullying elsewhere in the world usually involves a bully/bullies who bully several others. For 'ijime', there is usually one victim, and everyone else (i.e. the rest of their class at school) bullies that person.

That's interesting. I see bullying by default as many people against one, but maybe that's just my school experience!

I think bullying encapsulates both---someone can be bullied by one particular person or a group.

If that's true, then it's sad to hear that this kind of thing is still happening in sumo, especially after what happened to Takashi Saito

People live in a la-la land if they believe that once an issue is exposed in Japan, it will be tackled and hopefully removed from the society, especially when we deal with bullying. It is so engrained in the Japanese social fabric that for me to be a Japanese is to be a bully. It is not only at schools, workplace, sport clubs but between mothers in a kindergarten, between family members, between golf buddies etc.......Quite skillful at packaging and marketing dull things though, Japanese are. The worst part is that if you oppose such a bullying culture you would be punished even further, i.e. if a foreign athlete does not bully younger and/or lower ranked and/or less abled colleagues, he would be severely punished.

• Like 1

It is so engrained in the Japanese social fabric that for me to be a Japanese is to be a bully.

Huh...

Guess one learns something new everyday.

Then this Japanese behavior is really rubbing off on Hakuho these past few months...

Daigofuji is apparently retired, according to a post made by Yubinhaad in the kyujo thread.

It is so engrained in the Japanese social fabric that for me to be a Japanese is to be a bully.

Huh...
Guess one learns something new everyday.

Then this Japanese behavior is really rubbing off on Hakuho these past few months...

Hakuho has been doing stuff like this his entire career. He got away with it when he was the new yokozuna and got to play against the "black hat" Asashoryu. It's just relatively recently that people are commenting about it. Remember when he had that period of trying (and succeeding) to cold cock his opponents with the forearm shiv to the jaw at tachi-ai?

Edited by Fukurou