Senkoho

Nishikido situation; split from kyujo thread

Bye bye, Brodi?

I hope not but that is not a good sign. I hate to actually hope for an injury but that is better than the alternative.... :-(

East Makushita 28 Gokushindo

West Makushita 49 Mitoyutaka

East Sandanme 63 Kaminoyama

West Sandanme 77 Homarenishiki

West Sandanme 90 Daigofuji

West Jonidan 47 Shinshunishiki

Six of eight.

Six of eight what?

Yeah I would hate to guess that the joke was on us the whole time

Sorry about the double-posting, but it must be some story. The Oyakata gets married and days later most of his rikishi withdraw. Not to mention that post about the soto-yotsu master from Canada retiring.

Yeah I would hate to guess that the joke was on us the whole time

Unfortunately the whole situation is about as far from a joke as you can get.

John, can you at least confirm if Homarenishiki is still in Japan?

Oh *censored* me. His confidence didn't go an crumble did it?

If he ran or had something to do with something bad happening then I can't even.

Edited by Jyuunomori

This doesn't sound good. I hope it's not another big sumo scandal.

Clearly I'm missing something here........

Would someone tell a poor English sumo fan far across the world from Japan and completely in the dark about things.....

Whats going on?

What I have so far is a Canadian sumo wrestler and a heya where only 2 of 8 S.W will be at Natsu 2016.......Whats the scandal?

Conceive a situation? There are so many different situations that I could conjure up, most of them unlikely.

Maybe all six of them broke their ankles while training.

Maybe six of them were taking a bus and had an accident and are hospitalized.

Maybe they were caught doing something illegal and were banished.

Maybe five of them ran away and Brody is just injured as seems to be the norm now.

Maybe all six of them simply retired.

Maybe aliens came and kidnapped them. (Most likely solution)

Maybe Oyakata did something shady and most of the heya is at house arrest.

Maybe Oyakata died and the heya is in mourning.

Maybe all of them died.

Maybe they all contracted some sort of disease that threatens all of humanity and need to be put into a quarantine.

Maybe the earthquakes happened to affect someone.

Maybe there was a meteorite and they all perished in an impact.

Maybe the Oyakata simply called it quits.

Or maybe all six of them are just injured via training and it is nothing more than a coincidence. But you make it seem like it is something more than that. Just really hoping that the reason for all six of them being absent isin't the fact that they all deserted. If it is so: Then, I can't even. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-can-t-even

Edit: Will refrain from using colorful language and meme's from now on. I Can't Even, I mean: I am speechless. Will be posting in morse from now on.

.... .- ...- . / .- / -. .. -.-. . / -.. .- -.-- .-.-.-

Edited by Jyuunomori
  • Like 3

Out of respect to Nishinoshima I've been doing my own googling to see if there's any news on the current situation, although this place isn't the only site on the internet where people have taken notice of it. There a few posts on Twitter but for the time being, hopefully a newspaper will bring this to light if those involved permit it. From the way it sounds, it's a grave situation. For these wrestler's sake, I can only hope it's not career ending.

Out of respect to Nishinoshima I've been doing my own googling to see if there's any news on the current situation, although this place isn't the only site on the internet where people have taken notice of it. There a few posts on Twitter but for the time being, hopefully a newspaper will bring this to light if those involved permit it. From the way it sounds, it's a grave situation. For these wrestler's sake, I can only hope it's not career ending.

Could anyone tell us any details instead of sphinxing around?

• Like 4

.. - / .. ... / .-.. .. -.- . / .-- . / .- .-. . / - .- .-.. -.- .. -. --. / .- -... --- ..- - ---... / .----. .----. - .... . / --- -. . / .-- .... --- / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / -. --- - / -... . / -. .- -- . -.. .-.-.- .----. .----.

Okay enough of that. But it seriously sounds like we are talking about some mysterious taboo that everyone talks around about. Is this Harry Potter?

As an absolutely neutral sumo fan living in Indonesia who's only interested in the spectacle of the sport kindly provided by Kintamayama and the good people of this forum, will anybody confirm if anything will come to light in the forum regarding the stuff everybody's been beating around the bush about or should I wait for an official report by the NSK? Feeling like a dumb mule reading this thread.

• Like 4

I would like to be enlightened too....

• Like 1

As an absolutely neutral sumo fan living in Indonesia who's only interested in the spectacle of the sport kindly provided by Kintamayama and the good people of this forum, will anybody confirm if anything will come to light in the forum regarding the stuff everybody's been beating around the bush about or should I wait for an official report by the NSK? Feeling like a dumb mule reading this thread.

What we've been given so far as to a hint is that something is going on with Nishikido beya where 6 out of the 8 rikishi in the beya are withdrawn from the basho. Nishinoshima has inside information but for privacy reasons cannot divulge that information to us without another news source or the NSK making that information public. However whatever hints he's dropped indicates it is not a very good situation for the beya or the rikishi. As I said before my hopes are that whatever happened in what is seemingly a fallout doesn't end with many rikishi's careers ending. And I also hope that soon the situation will get to a point where we will be enlightened on what happened, maybe by Nishinoshima but I won't hold my breath until later in or even after the basho. We do not know what happened to the rikishi or why they have withdrawn.

• Like 3

What we've been given so far as to a hint is that something is going on with Nishikido beya where 6 out of the 8 rikishi in the beya are withdrawn from the basho. Nishinoshima has inside information but for privacy reasons cannot divulge that information to us without another news source or the NSK making that information public. However whatever hints he's dropped indicates it is not a very good situation for the beya or the rikishi. As I said before my hopes are that whatever happened in what is seemingly a fallout doesn't end with many rikishi's careers ending. And I also hope that soon the situation will get to a point where we will be enlightened on what happened, maybe by Nishinoshima but I won't hold my breath until later in or even after the basho. We do not know what happened to the rikishi or why they have withdrawn.

Right. And I actually live here and my next NHK commentary is coming up next Sunday. Maybe I'm reading the wrong newspapers? But anybody who calls a heya a beya (not including Jesse and Akebono who, however much they brought foreigners into real sumo, are not experts on the Japanese language) is, these days, not exactly quotable.

Why don't we just hold our breaths until a reliable source appears?

Orion, rather busy these days....

For what it's worth, the online Japanese rumor mill is suggesting there has been a disciplinary incident within the heya, probably involving bullying, probably targeted at the foreigner, with the implication that the oyakata has taken internal disciplinary measures while the situation is resolved. There's no talk about the NSK being involved, or of any involvement of the police or other authorities, or of any long-term repercussions.

So, while that would, if true, all be a serious matter, it's probably best to just let it play itself out and we'll doubtless hear an official version somewhere down the line. Until then, let's just let it rest.

Right. And I actually live here and my next NHK commentary is coming up next Sunday. Maybe I'm reading the wrong newspapers? But anybody who calls a heya a beya (not including Jesse and Akebono who, however much they brought foreigners into real sumo, are not experts on the Japanese language) is, these days, not exactly quotable.

Why don't we just hold our breaths until a reliable source appears?

Orion, rather busy these days....

Orion, I am sorry that my apparent incorrect use of the Japanese language has appalled you. However listening to broadcasts and hearing the gyoji who announce the rikishi as they are on the dohyo and their heyas are pronounced "beyas," at least give me the courtesy of trying to be as helpful to other people curious about what is going on instead of chiding me for what you presume to be my errors of the Japanese language. I do live in Kyushu, was educated in the Japanese school system, and do hold an N1 in the JLPT. Forgive me if my Japanese is bad to you.

I furthermore do not claim to have any inside information as to this incident, nor was I trying to assume what may have been going on. I am only trying to be helpful to those who are inquiring more into the situation. I am also not claiming to be a reliable source because I have no source as to what in the world is going on with one "heya's" problems. No official information is being given to the public, but like I said earlier, hints are being dropped that indicates something bad happened. So people become curious. Wouldn't you?

I will now remove myself from this conversation because it does no good to speculate, and it will more than likely resolve itself without nitpickers getting involved.

Edited by WAKATAKE
  • Like 1

WAKATAKE: in many and hard-to-describe contexts in japanese, compound words voice the first consonant of the second word: Tomozuna-beya, but one heya. Toki, time, tokidoki (the same word twice), sometimes. And so on. Another one famous from sumo is 'zabuton', the cushion for sitting, is za + futon, the latter word being common in english as a type of bed.

I hope that all becomes both well and clear in time.

Thank you very much to WAKATAKE, Orion and everybody else that responded, although it could have been without the petty "heya/beya" thing. To non-japanese-speaking-me both words describe the same thing : a place where rikishis train and live under the care and tutelage of an oyakata and his family.

Will wait for the official word and hopefully everything will play itself out amicably. Really hoping Brodi will come back.

Another one famous from sumo is 'zabuton', the cushion for sitting, is za + futon, the latter word being common in english as a type of bed.

Not to me its not........

Futon is not a common word.....Uncommon at best.....

Another one famous from sumo is 'zabuton', the cushion for sitting, is za + futon, the latter word being common in english as a type of bed.

Not to me its not........

Futon is not a common word.....Uncommon at best.....

Common enough that everyone knows what a futon is, or at least has an idea of a piece of furniture to which that word applies, even if it's not quite the same as its native Japanese meaning.

That was a bit of uncharacteristic snark from Orion, as I believe Wakatake was doing nothing more than summarizing what has been pointed out in this thread and reasonable inferences anyone might draw from it. I didn't get a sense he was setting himself up as any kind of "source", reliable or otherwise. But she was busy, and may have missed what was said earlier on.