Jejima

The Bench Euros 2016!

Bench Saucer

BS-QF1; BS-QF2

Aminoumi and Bae Dat have finished their match, this is the only match where the chains were broken (after Spain's loss). Both players scored 1 goal, so the match is tied.

Please excuse me that we have to postpone the additional 30 minutes and the possible penalties for tomorrow (well, if Bae Dat's Dad helped me in scoring, that would be nice :-) :-))

England's result is still needed, but I have to wake up at 5am, so I can't work on it after the bout.

The other match between Shumitto and Andonishiki is undecided yet.

If England wins, then we'll have the second tied bout. If England draws or loses tonight, then Shumitto scores a goal and wins the match.

Frère Jacques, frère Jacques;

dormez-vous ? Dormez-vous?

Wimoweh wimoweh

In the Iceland jungle...

The (three) lion(s) sleeps tonight

• Like 1

Wimoweh wimoweh

In the Iceland jungle...

I got up at 2:30 am my time to watch this..... (Spooky TV program...)

Wimoweh wimoweh

In the Iceland jungle...

Jååååææ!!!! (quoting the TV commentator from Iceland)

Come on Iceland! You rock!

Let's seal another European exit for England tonight! ;-)

2016 EURO - ROUND of 16

BENCH CUP

Knockout match #6:

KUROIMORI vs. CHISHAFUWAKU Kuroimori made a big mistake trusting Slovakia and placing it at Spot #3. This can cause him the win.He must pray very hard England not to win in regular time. If this happens, his chain will be broken at Spot #3, Chishafuwaku will score a goal at Spot #3 and win the match 1:0. If England draws or loses Chishafuwaku won't score a goal and the match might go to extra time.

So, Chishafuwaku could be optimistic and pray England to win in regular time.We'll see whose prayers will be heard.

Result: 0:0 draw (at the moment)

Here is the scoring through 6 matches of the 1/8 finals:

2016-Euro-16-Cup-6-2_zpsw0vj8ljp.png

Not so sure anymore who made a big mistake.... ;-) Come Iceland!

England's results at the last two tournaments under manager Roy Hodgson....

Brazil 2014

England 1 - 2 Italy

Uruguay 2 - 1 England

Costa Rica 0 - 0 England

France 2016

England 1 - 1 Russia

England 2 - 1 Wales

Slovakia 0 - 0 England

England 1 - 2 Iceland

One win (in the 92nd minute) out of seven. I wonder if he will be the England manager tomorrow?

Edited by Jejima

Wimoweh wimoweh

In the Iceland jungle...

ESPN's announcer (Ian Darke, I think) keeps saying this is the biggest humiliation in the history of English football, and Iceland's win is one of the biggest upsets in the history of football. Called England "clueless" and says England's manager will lose his job, no question.

99% of Iceland watching the match at home, and 8% of the country's population in France for the Euros.

Anyone know what the Haka-ish thing is the Icelanders were doing after the match?

ETA - The population of Iceland is apparently the same as the population of Leicester, and look what they did in the EPL. 2016, the year of the little guys?

Edited by Fukurou

Wimoweh wimoweh

In the Iceland jungle...

ESPN's announcer (Ian Darke, I think) keeps saying this is the biggest humiliation in the history of English football, and Iceland's win is one of the biggest upsets in the history of football. Called England "clueless" and says England's manager will lose his job, no question.

99% of Iceland watching the match at home, and 8% of the country's population in France for the Euros.

Not quite the biggest humiliation....

Back in 1950, England lost to a group of part-time footballers from the USA at the World Cup, at a time when England were a good team, and the USA were just waking up to 'soccer'.... <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v_England_(1950_FIFA_World_Cup)>

But, easily the second biggest humiliation.

Edit: ...and the manager will definitely lose his job (his minimum expectations given by the men in charge were either reaching the semi-finals or a 'good loss' at the quarter-finals stage.). I am guessing that he might actually resign pretty quickly before he is sacked.

Edited by Jejima

Round16 - Match 3 and 4

Update. Match 3 has ended, too. With unexpected loss of England Chokoryu scores 2 goals at once!

Round16-Match_3_4_02.jpg

It's 5 am here in Hong Kong, I'm going to try and get a couple of hours of sleep.

I will do the updates for the matches that I am refioji-ing and the admin after that.

Congratulations to the Icelanders! (and I really mean it - if the opposition had not been my 'team' I would have been cheering on Iceland - as I will do when they face France in the quarter-finals. It's a little like 'Leicester City winning the English Premiership....)

Edited by Jejima
  • Like 1

Bench Saucer

BS-QF1; BS-QF2

In the second match Shumitto scores one goal. He had the only winning team in this match.

Now let's have some rest before the 30-minute overtime of the Sweden-Ukraine begins.

Round16-Saucer_02.jpg

Roy Hodgson just announced he's not returning as England's manager. His contract was up anyway (ending after the Euros)

WOW!

Iceland are really heroes.

Who could ever imagine that they'll defeat England.

The whole coaching staff and all players must resign!

Not all of the players. A couple of them including Vardy and those who never left the bench can go back home, but Joe Hart should stay in France, i heard the cote d'azure is quite nice for retirement :-D

2016 EURO - ROUND of 16

BENCH CUP

Knockout match #5:

HAMCORNHEINZ vs. FUJIKO

The 1st option I explained during the last update happened. So, Fujiko didn't score more goals, but she is the winner of this match.

Result: 3:2 win for Fujiko

FUJIKO continues to play for the BENCH CUP.

HAMCORNHEINZ will play for the BENCH BOWL.

Here is the scoring after the completion of all 1/8 final matches:

2016-Euro-16-Cup-5-3-final_zpsst85soec.p

Edited by Achiyama

2016 EURO - ROUND of 16

BENCH CUP

Knockout match #6:

KUROIMORI vs. CHISHAFUWAKU

I messed up with my comments during the last update. Sorry about that.

The reality is that England lost, but it didn't cause the breaking of Chishafuwaku's chain. Neither the next 3 draws. Finally, heroic Iceland scored him a goal, and Chishafuwaku won the match.

Oh, these Slovaks, if they were not on Spot #3, Kuroimori would have been the winner.

Result: 1:0 win for Chishafuwaku

CHISHAFUWAKU continues to play for the BENCH CUP.

KUROIMORI will play for the BENCH BOWL.

2016-Euro-16-Cup-6-3-final_zps1qo2bvhi.p

Edited by Achiyama

2016 EURO - ROUND of 16

BENCH CUP

Knockout match #7:

JEJIMA vs. MISCHASHIMARU

The heartbreaking loss of England caused a heartbreaking loss of Jejima.

Jejima had 5 winners vs. 3 winners for Mischashimaru. Jejima's winners were spread throughout the squad, while Mischa's losses were placed at the bottom while the winners and drawers were strategically placed on Spots #1 through #5.

But who would have expected that England will be defeated by Iceland?!

Result: 2:0 win for Mischashimaru

MISCHASHIMARU continues to play for the BENCH CUP.

JEJIMA will play for the BENCH BOWL.

2016-Euro-16-Cup-7-3-final_zpsjsvyxqon.p

Edited by Achiyama

2016 EURO - ROUND of 16

BENCH CUP

Knockout match #8:

JAKUSOTSU vs. NEKONISHIKI

As I commented in the last update this match was decided before the completion of the last 2. It was not known how many goals would Jakusotsu's squad score.

The last 2 matches went his way, resulting in a big win.

Result: 4:0 win for Jakusotsu

JAKUSOTSU continues to play for the BENCH CUP.

NEKONISHIKI will play for the BENCH BOWL.

2016-Euro-16-Cup-8-3-final_zpshgwqbmno.p

Edited by Achiyama

Back in 1950, England lost to a group of part-time footballers from the USA at the World Cup, at a time when England were a good team, and the USA were just waking up to 'soccer'.... <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v_England_(1950_FIFA_World_Cup)>

Nope... I guess North Korea beating Italy 1-0 in England 1966 is a bigger one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhiYjKWsMq4

Pak Doo-Ik.... ;-)

Ganzohnesushi

ESPN's announcer (Ian Darke, I think) keeps saying this is the biggest humiliation in the history of English football, and Iceland's win is one of the biggest upsets in the history of football.

But Ian Darke isn't going to admit that on American TV :) (tho it's true)

EDIT - just seen on ESPN's website: England defeat to Iceland: 5 other embarrassing losses in history

Edited by Fukurou

Bench Saucer Quarter-finals - Final results

Match 3

Aoyume (Ireland)

Aoyume: 1. Belgium, 2. Croatia, 3. Italy ©, 4. Germany, 5. Hungary, 6. Slovakia, 7. Poland, 8. Ireland ®, 9. Spain (E1)

vs

Kaiomitsuki (Albania)

Kaiomitsuki: 1. England, 2. France ©, 3. Belgium (E1), 4. Croatia, 5. Switzerland, 6. Portugal, 7. Slovakia, 8. Ireland

Comments :
UEFA Euro 1992
Denmark - Germany (final)
Yugoslavia : due to the Yugoslav wars, the team was disqualified and their qualifying group's runner-up, Denmark, took part in the championship... and won the title.

Jejima's comment: England's loss sends Kaiomitsuki off to pack his bags, as he is now out of the Bench Saucer competition! Aoyume scores two goals (thanks to Belgium and Germany) to win this match 2-0. Aoyume is through to the Saucer Semi-Finals!

Match 4

Krisachiyama (Czech R.)

1. Germany, 2. Wales (E1), 3. England, 4. Croatia, 5. Portugal ©, 6. Northern Ireland

vs

Pitinosato (England)

1. France, 2. Belgium (E1), 3. England ®, 4. Switzerland, 5. Portugal, 6. Northern Ireland

Jejima's comment: With England's loss, Pitinosato failed to score a single goal in his four Bench matches! He is now out of the competition, as Krisachiyama's Portugal © scored a single goal in 5th slot.

**********************************************************************************************************

Neat results:

Bench Saucer Quarter-final Match 3:

Aoyume (Ireland) 2 - 0 Kaiomitsuki (Albania)

Bench Saucer Quarter-final Match 4:

Krisachiyama (Czech R.) 1 - 0 Pitinosato (England)

**********************************************************************************************************

This means two of the younger players will be meeting in the semifinals, with at least one guaranteed a place in the finals.

Bench Saucer Semifinal 2:

Aoyume (Ireland) vs Krisachiyama (Czech R.)

On the plane home (Economy class)

Kaiomitsuki (Albania)

Pitinosato (England)

Edited by Jejima

Bench Euros Cup - Round of 16 - Final results

Match 1

Achiyama (Switzerland)

1. Poland (E1), 2. Germany, 3. Croatia, 4. Belgium, 5. Italy, 6. Hungary, 7. Slovakia, 8. Switzerland ®

vs

Mr Froggy (Poland)

1. Poland ®, 2. Wales ©, 3. Spain, 4. England, 5. Italy, 6. Ireland, 7. N. Ireland (E1)

Jejima's comment: I think I got this wrong (again) yesterday with my comments, but this is clearly a win for Achiyama in his battle against the drone. Just a 1-0 win though (thanks to Belgium).

Match 2

McBugger (Spain)

1. England, 2. Spain ®, 3. Croatia, 4. Hungary ©, 5. Slovakia, 6. Ireland, 7. Italy, 8. Poland. 9. France (E1)

vs

Mr Fluffy (Iceland)

1. Iceland ®, 2. Croatia ©, 3. Spain, 4. England, 5. Portugal, 6. N. Ireland (E1)

Jejima: Just in case we needed reminding again, England were defeated by Iceland! Mr Fluffy, the drone, manages to score 2 goals in his first slot, and follows up with a third in the next slot! McBugger is defeated 3-0!

Neat results:

Bench Cup Round of 16 Match 1:

Achiyama (Switzerland) 1 - 0 Mr Froggy (Poland)

Bench Cup Round of 16 Match 2:

McBugger (Spain) 0 - 3 Mr Fluffy (Iceland)

This means that the two humans will both be facing drones (again) in the next round of their respective competitions.

Bench Bowl Quarter-final 1:

Mr Froggy (Poland) vs McBugger (Spain)

Bench Cup Quarter-final 1:

Achiyama (Switzerland) vs Mr Fluffy (Iceland)

Edited by Jejima

Kaiomitsuki (Albania)

As a french, I don't need to take the plane to come back at home... I'm already at home (Laughing...) !!!

I will watch the white cliffs of Dover this afternoon from the beach near my home, and ask myself : "Why, Why ... Why England has ruined my chances in the Bench Euros. Do I have to take a shovel and plug the Channel Tunnel ?" (tied with Russia cost me my first round emimination, and to crown It off the lost against Iceland was the icing on the cake (Happy goodbyes...) )

Bench Saucer Quarter-finals - Final results

Kaiomitsuki (Albania)

Pitinosato (England)

Bob Willis reference? The Ashes? <3

But who will be strapped to the wings?

Get ready to pick your squads for the quarter-finals of the Bench Cup and Bench Bowl, and for the semi-finals of the Bench Saucer.

I am going to announce the matches and the refiojis shortly, but first take a quick look at the rules.

Quarter-finals

Before submitting his line-up for the quarter-finals, each player is allowed one more additional team to add to his squad. This is a free-pick from the teams remaining in the competition not yet already on the player's squad. This second additional team should be labelled (E2). No more additional teams will be added to the squads after this pick, for the remainder of the tournament, so pick carefully!

Players ('drones') failing to make their extra pick in time, will be allocated the lowest ranked (as per the original list for selection) team still in the tournament that is not already on their squad - and put in last slot on the chain.

The rules for the quarter-final matches are identical to the rules for the round of 16 matches.