WAKATAKE

Basho Talk - Natsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

- Osuna must be injured again. He looks drastically different than the terminator from last basho,

I don't know and I don't think he is injured. He doesn't look so.

He seems to be just unconcentrated the latter part of the basho and unfocused.

If I remember correctly this happened before a couple of times. When he had the chance to get this extra thing, promotion, sansho, yusho, whatever; at the end of a tournament he was loosing bouts unneccessarily.

I think last basho he had easier opponents and was much more eager to get repromoted. This basho with perhaps slightly harder opponents he seems to be OK with being safe in Makuuchi and not take the chance for sanyaku, now even struggling for kachikoshi.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

- Osuna must be injured again. He looks drastically different than the terminator from last basho,

If I remember correctly this happened before a couple of times. When he had the chance to get this extra thing, promotion, sansho, yusho, whatever; at the end of a tournament he was loosing bouts unneccessarily.

I think last basho he had easier opponents and was much more eager to get repromoted. This basho with perhaps slightly harder opponents he seems to be OK with being safe in Makuuchi and not take the chance for sanyaku, now even struggling for kachikoshi.

Just my thoughts.

I share your thoughts. With promo/demo decided, I can see some wrestlers jockeying for the next basho position.

I don’t think Ichinojō has improved personally, I actually think he was better as a shin-nyūmaku; back when he didn’t have the weight of a whale and was more mobile. Don’t forget he’s said himself that only livestock should be above 200kg back when he was doing well, and now he’s at like 211kg himself. Don’t forget he had a kachikoshi at Sekiwake back in 2014.

Just my thoughts.

I share your thoughts. With promo/demo decided, I can see some wrestlers jockeying for the next basho position.

I think he wants to avoid over promotion, so as not to rise too fast up the ranks. He got hurt pretty bad the last time he was up in the top ranks, and may want another Basho or two to get ready to take on the guys at the top. If this is a conscious decision or not, I have no idea.

• Like 1

Don’t forget he had a kachikoshi at Sekiwake back in 2014.

I have not seen his plays in 2014. But what I have seen so far (< 4 bashos) of him, he looks like a mid-level Makuuchi rikishi, no more or no less. I will look up some of his matches in 2014 to see what changed.

Editing to add my observation of Ichinojou/Sekiwake in 2014 ... I've seen all his bouts and he was consistently much more mobile. He also looked hungrier, more eager, etc. to win from bout 1 to bout 15. A lot of times in recent bouts, I just don't see fire in his eyes. Those are the two major differences between Ichinojou 2014 and now. My 2 cents.

Edited by robnplunder

I think Ichinojo is a good example of how apparent 'improvement' can just be a function of competing at a lower rank. He was at his lowest makuuchi rank ever in March, after spending 8 basho ranked no lower than M4, and was facing a significantly weaker standard of opposition than we're used to seeing him against; it can be easy to think he's gotten better, when in reality it's just a case of him being able to regularly defeat lower ranked opponents with the stuff that doesn't cut it against the top rikishi.

Similarly, someone like Aoiyama picks up a good number of wins and doesn't look nearly as bumbling when he's against mid-maegashira opposition rather than Y and O.

I don't even think it is only that. I mean a part of it is for sure, but there is more to this I think. I think there are 2 other major factors:

1. He has some sort of mental blockade. He seems sometimes frightened to go forward. He has an opponent going and then stops. Now one could only speculate for the reasons ( maybe hurting Azumaryu and Chiyoootori plays into that, just speculation, though) but he definetly is not in the right mental place for sumo right now.

2. He is at least 20 kg too heavy. He used to move a lot on the Doyho (for a big man) stepping aside, pulling (often in wrong situations, he still does that...), throwing etc. And he doesn't do that anymore. And the way he lost against Kise and Goeido is another proof that he just can't be faster. And I suppose (of course that is also only speculation) that it has to do with him being way too heavy for the way he does sumo.

And all of these three things together seem to prevent him from being more sucessfull.

Prime minister Abe will be in the kokugikan on day 15 to watch and hand over his trophy to the winner.

The 3rd time he did it, last was Natsu 2014 - to Hakuho.

http://www.sanspo.com/geino/news/20160520/sot16052020410006-n1.html

Politics and sport should not mix. He's in it to boost his popularity at the expense of Sumo.

• Like 1

Prime minister Abe will be in the kokugikan on day 15 to watch and hand over his trophy to the winner.

Politics and sport should not mix. He's in it to boost his popularity at the expense of Sumo.

at the benefit of sumo, my man. Benefit.

Heck no, man. Heck no. Bring on the emperor, not Abe.

Even if His Majesty were so inclined, and even if he were not over 80 years old and probably outweighed by the trophy, there are no protocols for such a thing. It would be quite impossible.

Even if His Majesty were so inclined, and even if he were not over 80 years old and probably outweighed by the trophy, there are no protocols for such a thing. It would be quite impossible.

I am kidding around. I don't really care who hands the trophy to the winner. Wait, I may object to Trump doing it.

• Like 1

I am kidding around. I don't really care who hands the trophy to the winner. Wait, I may object to Trump doing it.

I know you're new here but you really should try to keep politics out of this.

Edited by hamcornheinz
  • Like 1

Kotokamatani lost his last bout of the basho, finishing 5-2 and missing the promotion to makushita for now.

Today we will see who will win the Juryo Yusho.

Can Sato manage to defeat Chiyonokuni? They are head-to-head 1-1.

Ura picks up a win today and improves to 10-4. He can still get 11-4 but has no change to win anymore. Disappointed in Ura, he brings us shame. I mean, how dare he not be in the play off's or outright win? :P

But for real. I wonder how high will he climb up the banzuke? Juryo 4 or 5?

If Sato wins the Yusho he will most likely be the new Juryo 1.

Shame about Kotokamatani losing. He should be a Makushita. Sandanme is too easy for him and Ishibashi.

Edit:

Didn't notice. Sadanoumi picked his first KK yesterday, since his horrible fall from grace at Aki Basho 2015 that is. Let's hope he gets himself together again. He is not a rikishi who should go 2-13 or 4-11 in a row.

Edited by Jyuunomori

Before day 13, Kisenosato's bout against Hakuho made me so anxious I was dreaming of sumo. Possibly one of the best dreams of my life. Kisenosato did lose against Hakuho. Kakuryu has an important role to play. I forgot. All of them looked extremely tired.But the scenario seemed more of a keiko than a basho. And at one point I was a gyoji with a camera, recording the match. Ha My feet are still tingling when I recall it.

It would be amazing if Kise won. Exams here I come. Bye bye sumo.

• Like 1

Ura was in tears after winning today, btw. Probably a mix of, I can't believe I pulled that off, and also I can't believe I got 10 wins in my sekitori debut.

Past Prime Minister's have presented before and there's a reason it's called the Prime Minister's Cup. Koizumi and Hatoyama did so while they were in office. Koizumi famously for when Takanohana won his last yusho while injured. And when the Prime Minister does not present the cup, members of his cabinet do so. So sorry to burst your bubble, but sumo gets a little bit of politics in when it's time to hand over the trophy.

• Like 2

Ura was in tears after winning today, btw. Probably a mix of, I can't believe I pulled that off, and also I can't believe I got 10 wins in my sekitori debut.

Good stuff. Let's see what he can do against top Juryo rikishis in the next basho. That'd be exciting to watch.

More like they will be fighting against Makuuchi demotees.

More like they will be fighting against Makuuchi demotees.

that's who the upper juryo people are, derp.

What a bout between Kaisei and Kotoyuki!!!

Should be shown to people asking why we love sumo.

Edited by Senkoho

It seems that Yoshikaze after getting beaten up by Hakuho last basho wants to avoid to return to a rank where he'll meet him again.

This basho he was just outside the immediate danger zone to be his opponent and by many early losses was safe from becoming a choice to get paired against him.

Hakuho couldn't resist an extra shove. Is the shimpan threat of suspension for next basho if he commits a grave one a preparation to have an easier Nagoya basho when Kisenosato has the next try for yokozuna?