WAKATAKE

Basho Talk - Natsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

I noticed that Okinoumi, Takarafuji and Shodai all got completely dominated just at the tachiai. Man I love sumo.

Does anyone know what's the longest streak where all Y/O (at least 1 in each) remain unbeaten at the start of a basho?

Probably until day 6 ....... in a basho in 1990 ...... terminated by a loss by Choonofuji ......

I thought Tochinoshin stepped out before Aminishiki hit the deck?

For some reason they called it "tsukihiza" which I guess looking at how Aminishiki was falling both the gyoji and the shimpan felt that he could not save himself from that. I'm sure the monoii didn't happen because Aminishiki wasn't injured. They probably would have called a torinaoshi which Aminishiki would not have been able to do. However both rikishi did report that they each thought Tochinoshin stepped out first. Also it looks like Aminishiki's Achilles gave way, which is not good at all.

Ami's rikishi career might be ended by this injury ......

I thought Tochinoshin stepped out before Aminishiki hit the deck?

For some reason they called it "tsukihiza" which I guess looking at how Aminishiki was falling both the gyoji and the shimpan felt that he could not save himself from that. I'm sure the monoii didn't happen because Aminishiki wasn't injured. They probably would have called a torinaoshi which Aminishiki would not have been able to do. However both rikishi did report that they each thought Tochinoshin stepped out first. Also it looks like Aminishiki's Achilles gave way, which is not good at all.

That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone...

That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone...
It certainly is more surprising that he kept on going as long as he did with his exoskeleton. But I won't be starting singing the Swan Song until it's official.

When he does, it would make the Oguruma guys the oldest in Makuuchi.

Day 2 - Aminishiki did a wheel chair exit. Looked like he did in one of his knees again. The war horse will return next basho.

I am sorry to hear this (the injury, not the presumed comeback). .

Edited by orandashoho

Osu did a nice impression of Harmafuji from last basho......just needed to add a dive off the dohyo at the end there.

Tochinoshin-Aminishiki was......strange.

Anyone want to guess how many matches it will take before Sato wins by yorikiri? He's at 65 now.......

Edited by Katooshu

It balances out the questionable win Aminishiki got over Tochinoshin last basho.

Can someone please explain the matta called between Daieisho v Osunaarashi?

Can someone please explain the matta called between Daieisho v Osunaarashi?

Apparently Tomozuna chief judge saw that Oosunaarashi did not get his other hand down so he raised his hand saying that they needed to restart. The gyoji didn't see Tomozuna's hand raised and let the match go the entire way. Tomozuna told the gyoji they needed to restart, so he did.

• Like 1

Even if I am a Osunaarashi fan I must admit. Daiesho was robbed there. I think Osunaarashi's tachiai was completely fine first time around. I almost missed the second bout.

This ''Hands Down'' enforcement is making so many people nervious. (Yoshikaze) :P

Edit: Also it seems Kotoyuuki can get his hands down. But it results to him losing. He must hate gyoji and shimpan right now.

Edit 2: ALSO! Kaisei needs to lose that midori-mawashi. It didn't work out for Yoshikaze and seems to carry same effect for Kaisei. What, the opposition is tougher? Nonsense; Kaisei is Ozeki material. It is all mawashi's fault.

Edited by Jyuunomori

I know wath I´m gona tell it´s not related whit basho, but Kotoosuh is comenting in japan tv and I can´t stop thinking, he should growing a beard, just to not look like a baby anymore. :-) :-)

Sorry for the bad joke...

• Like 2

grigorian may have told us the most important and interesting thing that has happened the whole basho.

Also the curse continues. Shodai has also made a blunder and wears green. He needs to find something as stylish as Ura's pink and manly mawashi. Though pink may also be bad colour.

EDIT: Ichinojo does what he should always do! Good sumo by Ichinojo. Didn't get cold feet. Kinboshi!

Edited by Jyuunomori

Great stuff from Ichinojo and Harumafuji. Glad to have stuck around to watch the most exciting match for today. So that makes it 3 kinboshi for Ichi?

I know wath I´m gona tell it´s not related whit basho, but Kotoosuh is comenting in japan tv and I can´t stop thinking, he should growing a beard, just to not look like a baby anymore. :-) :-)

Sorry for the bad joke...

He just has a non-imposing chin...beard would be a great idea. Anybody game enough to tell him directly?

This basho marks the first time that the current entire lineup of ozeki and yokozuna have started the basho 2-0. With Terunofuji losing now obviously we aren't moving to 3-0 but the last time all yokozuna and ozeki started the basho 2-0 was Natsu of 2007.

I think it was gentlemanly of Harumafuji to go for the belt on Ichinojo rather than concuss him with repeated slaps, but really, he could have just kept up the slap/shove and kept Ichinojo off-guard and backing up.

it takes more than a gentleman to beat ichinojo

ichinojo is a force to be reckoned with