Sign in to follow this  
rzombie1988

Have any rikishi ever tried to return from retirement?

Has this ever happened before or has anyone ever talked about it? Does the JSA have an official rule against it or have they made any statements on it? Obviously it would be seen as shameful and looked down upon, but if that person was willing to go through mae-zumo again and changed his name, maybe?

I always wanted to ask this, so please don't flame.

Edited by rzombie1988

Sokokurai returned after being forced out but thats not really what you were asking.

Correct and Correct.

Edited by rzombie1988

Interestingly a case just like asked happened in old times and the descendants of that rikishi have made a book now about their ancestor. The database doesn't cover the story.
In 1779 Washigatani 鷲ケ谷 (not in the database) made his sumo debut as an Edo-kakae (employed by a feudal lord etc.) rikishi, was there for 2 years=4 basho and retired.
Then he became a rikishi employed by the Morioka domain and started anew as Yukinoura Matsunosuke.

The book is written by 3 present Yukinoura (the authors' names, I guess father and 2 sons) the paper speaks about 3 generations of Yukinoura as Morioka rikishi

. The one in question is named as the 1st Yukinoura, he must have been allowed to take on that name as a family name.

Yukinoura I made it to maegashira 4 (Sumo Reference has him only as juryo) and was active till age 39. Said to be born in what is now Kitakami-city, Iwate,

he died in 1820.

http://www.iwate-np.co.jp/cgi-bin/topnews.cgi?20160329_10

Surely there are more such cases - but likely all in the Edo period.

I put the long version of this into Rikishi of the past

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3