Sign in to follow this  
Fujisan

Whats the chances of that?

Day 14 Two rikishi from two different countries same surname meet on the dohyo....

Not hard to find but interesting?

Edited by Fujisan

If one is Russian and the other Bulgarian, then no, not that hard to find. It's like an American and a Briton, both named Jones, meet. Interesting. Just like Steve Davis.

Shouldn't this be moved off topic?

Edited by Sokkenaiyama
  • Like 1

If one is Russian and the other Bulgarian, then no, not that hard to find. It's like an American and a Briton, both named Jones, meet. Interesting. Just like Steve Davis.

Snooker loopy?

• Like 2

How about: Chances of Kisenosato winning a yusho? Probably zilch... :(

But 13-2 is not too shabby... Hopefully he is a late bloomer...Chiyonofuji-style.

For those who aren't yet fully aware of what everyone in this thread is referencing, like I was when I started ready, both Amuuru and Aoiyama have the surname "Ivanov," which, when you think about it, is basically the Slavic equivalent of "Johnson."

However, I think OP is right to find this fascinating for it to happen in SUMO which is still not the most internationalized of sports, at least not on the professional level.

• Like 1

But 13-2 is not too shabby... Hopefully he is a late bloomer...Chiyonofuji-style.

NSK may promote him at 13 wins, with or without yusho.

After that fiasco after the last time they promoted someone without a yusho? Never.

After that fiasco after the last time they promoted someone without a yusho? Never.

Kise's 26 ozeki basho average more than 10 wins per basho. Previous ozekis with average 10 wins (23 ozekis) were all promoted. 13 quality wins including a win over Hakuho may be OK for many people, even not yusho.

Kise's 26 ozeki basho average more than 10 wins per basho. Previous ozekis with average 10 wins (23 ozekis) were all promoted. 13 quality wins including a win over Hakuho may be OK for many people, even not yusho.

Sure, but what was Kaio's record before he started cruising? I bet it was much higher than Kise's.

Depends how you factor in Kaio's kyujo. Because of his injuries I'm not sure if he managed a 10 or more win average beyond his first year as an ozeki.

Edited by Katooshu

But if you simply take out all of Kaio's sub-par performances, he was a much better rikishi on average.

• Like 1

For those who aren't yet fully aware of what everyone in this thread is referencing, like I was when I started ready, both Amuuru and Aoiyama have the surname "Ivanov," which, when you think about it, is basically the Slavic equivalent of "Johnson."

However, I think OP is right to find this fascinating for it to happen in SUMO which is still not the most internationalized of sports, at least not on the professional level.

"Danny Johnson" and "Nick Johnson" wouldn't come across as anywhere near as exotic.

Edited by Kuroyama
  • Like 1