Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Promotion/Demotion and Yusho discussion Haru 2016

And voila, like magic, there are now 3 available Juryo spots. And there could even be 4 if Tenkaiho also loses. Ura made it.

• Like 1

And voila, like magic, there are now 3 available Juryo spots. And there could even be 4 if Tenkaiho also loses. Ura made it.

Yup, just saw it. Awesomeness.

Ura & Sato are coming. It will be filthy entertaining Juryo next basho.

• Like 2

If it's not for the dedicated guys here at SF pointing out Sato, I wouldn't even bat en eyelid at the mention of the name.

Looks like Ura, Tamaasuka, and Sato are set for promotion to Juryo, with Terutsuyoshi in an exchange bout with Tenkaiho, so in the end everything worked out nicely. I'm surprised Akua's facing someone staying in Juryo rather than someone already demoted to help settle the placement of those in the top of Makushita. It would have made more sense to me to put Tamaasuka against someone staying in Juryo since he's a lock for promotion now. They kept a lot of the 4-2 in Makushita matches until Day 15, and while they couldn't do Akua-Kotoeko, I think they could have done Akua-Sakigake and Kotoeko-Shosei. I can't imagine they would overdemote Asabenkei with a loss in favor of Akua; 5-2 from ms5 isn't *that* strong of a record to force a 2-rank overdemotion.

edit: I guess if Tenkaiho and Akua both win, then they might overdemote Tenkaiho in favor of Akua. That's only a 1-rank overdemotion and is at least plausible if still somewhat unlikely from my point of view.

Edited by Gurowake

Matches affecting sanyaku:

Kotoyuki - Ikioi

Okinoumi - Aminishiki

Myogiryu - someone headed for Juryo (Chiyotairyu)

Kaisei - someone headed for Juryo (Akiseyama)

Shodai - someone with no chance for sanyaku (Mitakeumi)

From top to bottom in chances:

Kotoyuki is top Sekiwake regardless.

Ikioi is in regardless, and is Sekiwake with a win or Myogiryu loss, and maybe even in the case neither happens.

Myogiryu is in regardless unless Okinoumi and Kaisei win. He's definitely in with a win. Additionally, If he wins and Ikioi loses, he's probably Sekiwake.

Okinoumi is probably in with a win. KK with a full joi schedule I would hope trumps Kaisei with a theoretically better rank/record if he hits 11 wins, but I could be wrong.

Kaisei needs to win and have Myogiryu or Okinoumi lose. He might be ahead of Okinoumi if both with though, in which case he only needs to win. He's probably also in with a loss if Shodai and Okinoumi lose, but it might go to Aminishiki instead.

Shodai needs to win and have Kaisei and Okinoumi lose.

Aminishiki might get a spot if he wins and Shodai and Kaisei lose, but I think it goes to Kaisei in that situation.

So there are 3 questions that might be unanswered depending on results:

If Ikioi loses and Myogiryu wins, which one is the other Sekiwake?

If Okinoumi, Kaisei, and Myogiryu win, will Okinoumi or Kaisei get the last Komusubi spot? Kaisei would have a superior rank/record in theory, but Okinoumi faced all the top-ranked rikishi, while Kaisei only faced 4 rikishi higher ranked than him (although they are all on this list) and got softballs the last two days.

If Okinoumi, Shodai, and Kaisei all lose, does the last Komusubi spot default to Kaisei or Aminishiki?

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

Chiyotairyu's terrible tournament that is almost certain to lead to his demotion is made even starker once one sees that he will have faced only 4 rikishi ranked higher than him, and he also didn't face Ichinojo or Daieisho, two of the guys ranked lower than him with pretty good records. The only other rikishi ranked lower than him he could have faced and didn't was Amuru.

The Makuuchi/Juryo situation looks like there's still the possibility of either too many guys to demote or too many to promote. Toyohibiki and Satoyama are on the bubble going down, and Homarefuji and Endo going up. We for sure already have Chiyotairyu, Akiseyama, and Kitataiki going down for Osunaarashi, Seiro, and Nishikigi. Toyohibiki and Satoyama are both in the position of being in line to be overdemoted even if they win, while Endo and Homarefuji don't feel as likely to be overpromoted when they lose, but might be anyway because they'd be the best candidates. So my speculation is that Toyohibiki and Satoyama need to win and Endo and Homarefuji need to lose for them to not be exchanged.

Actually, if Seiro loses (to Satoyama), he might not get promoted, as Endo and Homarefuji would be ahead of him with wins. So there's a lot that could happen.

Edited by Gurowake

Matches affecting sanyaku:

So there are 3 questions that might be unanswered depending on results:

If Ikioi loses and Myogiryu wins, which one is the other Sekiwake?

If Okinoumi, Kaisei, and Myogiryu win, will Okinoumi or Kaisei get the last Komusubi spot? Kaisei would have a superior rank/record in theory, but Okinoumi faced all the top-ranked rikishi, while Kaisei only faced 4 rikishi higher ranked than him (although they are all on this list) and got softballs the last two days.

If Okinoumi, Shodai, and Kaisei all lose, does the last Komusubi spot default to Kaisei or Aminishiki?

1.Ikioi

2.Tough one,prefer it was Okinoumi

3.Aminishiki

Day 14 (results, text-only results):

9-5 Harumafuji Y1 Hakuho 13-1

9-5 Kakuryu Y2

8-6 Kotoshogiku O1 Kisenosato 12-2

12-2 Goeido O2 Terunofuji 8-6

There seems to be no stopping Hakuho this basho as he also made short work of Kotoshogiku to remain in the lead. Kisenosato and Goeido both did stay in the yusho race, beating Terunofuji and Ikioi, and will have a head-to-head shootout tomorrow to decide who gets to sit idly by as Hakuho secures the yusho with ease two matches later extend the suspense until the final bout of the basho. I imagine the Kise-Goeido winner will also receive a tsunatori offer for Natsu basho, conditional on winning the yusho there. (Unless the unimaginable happens and he wins a yusho tomorrow already.)

Takarafuji is now twice the sanyaku wrestler that everybody else is, at least in terms of wins, and looks set to be the only one who still gets to fight the top-rankers in May. Gurowake has already summed up everything there is to say about the sanyaku race from the maegashira side, so just go read that if you haven't already. :-) FWIW, I agree that Okinoumi at 8-7 ought to be favoured over both Myogiryu at 10-5 and Kaisei at 11-4.

In any case, today's action saw wins by all contenders except Myogiryu (in a direct matchup with Kotoyuki) and Ikioi. It's a really strong sanyaku race, considering the usual basho when all the yokozuna and ozeki are firing and the S/K guys and many high M's are hapless looks more like Hatsu 2015 did.

On a side note: Who the heck is responsible for Kaisei's creampuff weekend with Kitataiki today and Akiseyama tomorrow? Did somebody mistake him for Tochinoshin and thought, "hey, isn't that the guy we still have something to make up to?" At least Myogiryu is also getting a near-freebie with Chiyotairyu...

(x) 3-11 Yoshikaze S Toyonoshima 3-11 (x)

(x) 3-11 Tochiozan K Takarafuji 6-8 (x)

(o) 11-3 Kotoyuki M1

7-7 Okinoumi M2

M3 Aminishiki 7-7

(o) 10-4 Ikioi M4

M5

10-4 Myogiryu M6 Shodai 9-5

M7 Kaisei 10-4

Tomorrow's feature bout is arguably Kotoyuki-Ikioi, which wouldn't surprise me to have sansho implications (i.e. whether or not Ikioi gets one, and possibly whether or not Kotoyuki gets two). Also, Okinoumi and Aminishiki are facing off with kachikoshi on the line for both, the only such match in the sekitori ranks this senshuraku.

The battle lines between the bottom maegashira and the top juryo continue to be very blurred indeed, with the most important development being that losses for Satoyama and Toyohibiki mean that both would be very reasonable overdemotions (just by half a rank) even if they win their final bout. Chiyotairyu won't have to concern himself with that as he's already a goner after today, opening up slot #3.

Seiro won and IMHO he's totally safe - there's plenty of precedent for a J1w 8-7 getting favoured over the likes of a J3w 9-6 and a J6e 11-4. I'm fairly sure that Endo, should he get to 11 wins, will be forcing somebody down, not only because he's too big of a draw to leave him sitting in juryo if it's reasonable to promote him, but also because it's the easiest way out of having to make a decision between him and potentially Seiro and Nishikigi.

Homarefuji doesn't have nearly as much going for him, and it wouldn't surprise me if 9-6 won't be enough, so he may have to hope that at least two out of Toyohibiki/Satoyama/Endo lose tomorrow to put him either 4th in line with 4 slots, or 5th in line with 5. On the flipside, even Arawashi might still be able to sneak in if we end up with 5 clear demotions and Homarefuji loses.

M8 Chiyotairyu 2-12 (x)

(1) 3-11 Toyohibiki M9

M10

M11

M12

M13

M14

(1) 6-8 Satoyama M15 Kitataiki 3-11 (x)

(x) 4-10 Akiseyama M16 ---

(o) 13-1 Osunaarashi J1 Seiro 8-6 (o)

J2 Nishikigi 9-5 (o)

J3 Homarefuji 8-6 (1)

J4

(~) 8-6 Arawashi J5

(1) 10-4 Endo J6

After hanging on for several days, Onosho and Kyokutaisei both reached the end of the rope today, losing to high-powered opponents Endo and Chiyonokuni to seal their fates. Tenkaiho was also a loser on the day and will have to fight for his survival tomorrow.

With three spots now available, Tamaasuka is certain to move to the salaried ranks for the 7th time in his career, putting him in very exclusive company, and Ura will be making his anticipated debut along with Sato.

(1) 5-9 Tenkaiho J11

J12 Onosho 5-9 (x)

J13

(x) 3-8-3 Shotenro J14 Kyokutaisei 6-8 (x)

Ms1 Tamaasuka 4-2 (o)

Ms2 Ura 6-1 (o)

Ms3 Terutsuyoshi 3-3

4-3 Hakuyozan Ms4

4-2 Akua Ms5

(o) 7-0 Sato Ms9

Looks like Ura, Tamaasuka, and Sato are set for promotion to Juryo, with Terutsuyoshi in an exchange bout with Tenkaiho, so in the end everything worked out nicely. I'm surprised Akua's facing someone staying in Juryo rather than someone already demoted to help settle the placement of those in the top of Makushita. It would have made more sense to me to put Tamaasuka against someone staying in Juryo since he's a lock for promotion now. They kept a lot of the 4-2 in Makushita matches until Day 15, and while they couldn't do Akua-Kotoeko, I think they could have done Akua-Sakigake and Kotoeko-Shosei. I can't imagine they would overdemote Asabenkei with a loss in favor of Akua; 5-2 from ms5 isn't *that* strong of a record to force a 2-rank overdemotion.

Yeah, I think they called an audible there when it turned out that Tamaasuka was no longer needed for exchange duty - I'd be quite surprised if sending up Akua was the plan all along, rather than Tamaasuka-juryo, Akua-Sakigake and Kotoeko-Shosei. I prefer the rejiggered version, although I feel they still flubbed it a bit: If Tenkaiho loses tomorrow to open up a fourth slot, and both Terutsuyoshi and Akua win, it's likely to be Akua who gets that spot. IMHO, that would have made it much more reasonable to put him against Tenkaiho, and do Asabenkei-Terutsuyoshi in the other bout (which would then be a straight 7-7 vs 3-3 KK shootout, but without outright promotion/demotion considerations for either guy).

Overall I'm a bit confused about the lack of 7-7 matchups since there was room to pair up all six guys (Azumaryu-Chiyomaru, Ishiura-Asabenkei, Tsurugisho-Chiyoo), but I guess they couldn't find a way to make the rest of the schedule work with that. On the upside, four 7-7's are at least being used against promotion hopefuls (Homarefuji, Arawashi, Endo, Akua). Could have easily been adjusted to pair up the remaining two 7-7's though and improve the schedule...oh well.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 7

If Tenkaiho loses tomorrow to open up a fourth slot, and both Terutsuyoshi and Akua win, it's likely to be Akua who gets that spot. IMHO, that would have made it much more reasonable to put him against Tenkaiho, and do Asabenkei-Terutsuyoshi in the other bout (which would then be a straight 7-7 vs 3-3 KK shootout, but without outright promotion/demotion considerations for either guy).

I assumed that since they could have made that decision but didn't, that Terutsuyoshi is getting the promotion in the situation where they both win. Or are the people who decide the schedule not the same people who decide on the banzuke and/or they might just change their mind?

I assumed that since they could have made that decision but didn't, that Terutsuyoshi is getting the promotion in the situation where they both win. Or are the people who decide the schedule not the same people who decide on the banzuke and/or they might just change their mind?

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it's the full 23-member committee that is involved in setting the schedule (even for such crucial bouts), so that matchup may not be reflective of what the committee as a whole thinks. And we've had plenty of cases in the past where apparent "plans" went nowhere, e.g. a high juryo beating a low maegashira on Day 15 and still not getting exchanged with him even though that seemed to be the whole purpose of setting that bout. (Example: Aki 2011 - Tenkaiho beat Kimurayama on Day 15.)

The elephant in the room is that a three-spot difference almost always favours the guy with 5 wins (when both are inside the top 5 ranks), so Terutsuyoshi 4-3 over Akua 5-2 would be a major departure from the usual practice.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Interesting development - Homarefuji lost, both Toyohibiki and Satoyama lost, Endo won, but Chiyotairyu also won. Is there any chance Homarefuji lands in Makuuchi to the detriment of Chiyotairyu? Having decided to play GTB again, this is quite a challenge early on.

• Like 1

Seems to be the trend since the last 2 basho to overpromote when Makuuchi rikishi get demoted down to Juryo.

My guesses:

Demoted from Makuuchi: Akiseyama, Kitataiki and Satoyama

Promoted to Makuuchi: Osunaarashi, Seiro, and Nishikigi

Demoted from Juryo: Kyokutaisei, Shotenro, probably Onosho.

Promoted from Makushita: Ura, Tamaasuka, Sato

The banzuke is seriously hard to do this time around with S-M5 mostly blowing it. My guess is:

Hakuho Y Kakuryu
Harumafuji Y
Kisenosato O Goeido
Kotoshogiku O Terunofuji
Kotoyuki S Okinoumi
Ikioi K Myogiryu
Shodai M1 Kaisei

Takarafuji M2 Aoiyama
Ichinojo M3 Aminishiki
Yoshikaze M4 Toyonoshima
Tochiozan M5 Takayasu
Takanoiwa M6 Tamawashi
Tochinoshin M7 Sokokourai

Honestly have no clue from M3 down, but there are gonna be a lot of unhappy campers. With all of the double digit losses, you could probably just switch Sekiwake to the mid-Maegashira's and be cool.

Edited by rzombie1988

I imagine that Kaisei will be above Shodai due to the 2 win advantage at a similar rank.

I thought my provisional draft with Aoiyama M3e 7-8 -> M3e is unconventional, but maybe I'll have to give M2w a thought, too...

• Like 3

First pass at Juryo/Makushita joi:

East Rank West
Chiyotairyu(3-12 M8w) J1 Toyohibiki(3-12 M9e)
Satoyama(6-9 M15e) J2 Chiyoshoma(11-4 J10e)
Chiyonokuni(9-6 J7e) J3 Arawashi(8-7 J5e)
Kitaharima(9-6 J8e) J4 Sadanofuji(7-8 J4e)
Kagayaki(7-8 J4w) J5 Akiseyama(4-11 M16e)
Kitataiki(3-12 M15w) J6 Ishiura(8-7 J8w)
Fujiazuma(5-10 J3e) J7 Chiyoo(8-7 J10w)
Azumaryu(7-8 J7w) J8 Asasekiryu(4-11 J2e)
Dewahayate(9-6 J13e) J9 Amakaze(9-6 J13w)
Asahisho(7-8 J9e) J10 Tsurugisho(7-8 J9w)
Asabenkei(8-7 J12e) J11 Jokoryu(5-10 J6w)
Chiyomaru(7-8 J11w) J12 Kagamio(4-11 J5w)
Ura(6-1 Ms2w) J13 Tamaasuka(5-2 Ms1w)
Tenkaiho(6-9 J11e) J14 Sato(7-0 Ms9e)
Hakuyozan(4-3 Ms4e) Ms1 Akua(4-3 Ms5e)
Kyokutaisei(6-9 J14w) Ms2 Onosho(5-10 J12w)
Daiki(5-2 Ms8w) Ms3 Ryuden(6-1 Ms13w)
Shosei(5-2 Ms10e) Ms4 Kotoeko(4-3 Ms7e)
Hamaguchi(4-3 Ms7w) Ms5 Sakigake(4-3 Ms8e)
Kizenryu(4-3 Ms9w) Ms6 Daishoho(3-4 Ms3e)
Akinokawa(5-2 Ms14e) Ms7 Terutsuyoshi(3-4 Ms3w)
Shotenro(3-9 J14e) Ms8 Kotomisen(5-2 Ms16w)
Sakamoto(4-3 Ms11w) Ms9 Tochihiryu(2-5 Ms1e)
Shiba(3-4 Ms6e) Ms10 Abi(2-5 Ms2e)
Mugendai(6-1 Ms30w) Ms11 Rikishin(6-1 Ms31e)
Masunosho(5-2 Ms22e) Ms12 Meisei(5-2 Ms23w)
Daiseiho(4-3 Ms18e) Ms13 Wakanoshima(2-5 Ms4w)
Iwasaki(4-3 Ms19w) Ms14 Yamaguchi(5-2 Ms26w)
Kotaro(4-3 Ms20e) Ms15 Keitenkai(3-4 Ms10w)

The twitterverse and Asashi sumo have Kaisei making Sanyaku....hhhhmmmmm....

Edit: Just a roving reporter.

Edited by rhyen

Day 15 (results, text-only results):

9-6 Harumafuji Y1 Hakuho 14-1

10-5 Kakuryu Y2

8-7 Kotoshogiku O1 Kisenosato 13-2

12-3 Goeido O2 Terunofuji 8-7

Strangely enough, the way Harumafuji just went flying this henka by Hakuho didn't even feel anticlimactic to me...more like an appropriate end to this strange basho of his. Either way it's championship #36, his first in 8 months, so another milestone is out of the way now. Kisenosato had triumphed with ease in the contendership battle with Goeido, but as expected it wasn't going to be a roadblock to Hakuho's yusho. (Side note: Three of Goeido's last four 12-3 records have come in Osaka.) As anticipated it looks like Kisenosato will be on some sort of tsunatori for May - albeit with much more low-key preparations than Giku's post-yusho one - and I would guess winning the yusho would do it for him, as long as it's not a weak 12-win affair.

Speaking of Kotoshogiku, his dream ended in a lackluster 8-7 score, losing easily to Kakuryu to end a pretty bad homestretch with 6 losses in his last 7 bouts. Ailing Terunofuji didn't do much better (and probably wasn't expected to by most of us once he had KK'ed) and also ends the basho with an 8-7 record.

The competition for Natsu's lower sanyaku ranks comes down to 5 contenders after Okinoumi cleared the 8-win mark against Aminishiki, Kaisei won against Akiseyama, and Myogiryu was blasted out by Chiyotairyu. In other action, with sansho on the line for him, Ikioi lost to Kotoyuki. The latter takes the only sansho of the basho, winning the shukun-sho for his stellar 12-3 joi debut.

(x) 4-11 Yoshikaze S Toyonoshima 3-12 (x)

(x) 4-11 Tochiozan K Takarafuji 6-9 (x)

(o) 12-3 Kotoyuki M1

(?) 8-7 Okinoumi M2

M3 Aminishiki 7-8 (x)

(o) 10-5 Ikioi M4

M5

(?) 10-5 Myogiryu M6 Shodai 9-6 (x)

M7 Kaisei 11-4 (o)

With Myogiryu failing to win today, Ikioi is assured the second sekiwake berth. It also means that Kaisei ought to be headed to his sanyaku debut as he's almost certainly ahead of Myogiryu, putting the Brazilian no lower than #4 in the queue. The final spot will be coming down to Okinoumi and Myogiryu - Okinoumi should be strongly favoured here due to his full sanyaku schedule, but Myogiryu getting the nod instead wouldn't be the strangest thing ever.

And the implications of Myogiryu's loss don't stop there, as it also provided Chiyotairyu with an unlikely lifeline. He's now ahead of Toyohibiki and Satoyama who both lost their final bout, and the juryo guys are only providing us with 4 certain promotions - Endo made sure of his re-ascent with his 11th win (sending 7-7 Chiyomaru to MK in the process), while Homarefuji lost to 7-7 Chiyoo. Arawashi missed his chance for sure, being defeated by Ishiura (yet another 7-7).

Already-guaranteed promotees Seiro and Nishikigi were victorious, padding their win totals a bit further for an increased jump into the maegashira ranks. Osunaarashi was overwhelmed by Daishomaru and finished up his yusho performance with a 13-2 record.

M8 Chiyotairyu 3-12 (?)

(x) 3-12 Toyohibiki M9

M10

M11

M12

M13

M14

(x) 6-9 Satoyama M15 Kitataiki 3-12 (x)

(x) 4-11 Akiseyama M16 ---

(o) 13-2 Osunaarashi J1 Seiro 9-6 (o)

J2 Nishikigi 10-5 (o)

J3 Homarefuji 8-7 (?)

J4

(x) 8-7 Arawashi J5

(o) 11-4 Endo J6

Four certain exchanges here, as marked in the table, with Nishikigi the sole upcoming top division debutant. Chiyotairyu <-> Homarefuji can go either way - with the recent trends in banzuke-making I would expect a lucky promotion for Homarefuji, but it's not a sure thing.

The exchanges between juryo and makushita are completely clear, however. Tenkaiho prevailed in his exchange bout with Terutsuyoshi, sending the youngster to makekoshi. The other visitor Akua was also unsuccessful, finishing 4-3, but it's likely costing him only one spot for the next rankings (Ms1w instead of Ms1e) as there would have been no room for him in juryo anyway.

(o) 6-9 Tenkaiho J11

J12 Onosho 5-10 (x)

J13

(x) 3-9-3 Shotenro J14 Kyokutaisei 6-9 (x)

Ms1 Tamaasuka 5-2 (o)

Ms2 Ura 6-1 (o)

Ms3 Terutsuyoshi 3-4 (x)

4-3 Hakuyozan Ms4

4-3 Akua Ms5

(o) 7-0 Sato Ms9

Things are going to be pretty crowded in lower juryo, so Ura and Sato likely won't be too far from the bottom of the division and a KK debut will be imperative.

On this basho's final note, the sole playoff bout of the tournament was won by sandanme tsukedashi debutant Oyanagi. I guess his next basho will be sort of like the Makushita 60 tsukedashi start of old, except with him actually being listed on the printed banzuke (and with his first title already in the bag, of course).

Thanks for reading! :-)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 20

The final records of the 28 former sekitori in the lower divisions:

2-5 Ms1e Tochihiryu (Kasugano, 28, 7)

5-2 Ms1w Tamaasuka (Kataonami, 33, 2)

2-5 Ms2e Abi (Shikoroyama, 21, 3)

2-5 Ms4w Wakanoshima (Shibatayama, 31, 2)

kyujo Ms6w Tokitenku (Tokitsukaze, 36, 1)

4-3 Ms7e Kotoeko (Sadogatake, 24, 6)

4-3 Ms8e Sakigake (Shibatayama, 29, 7)

4-3 Ms9w Kizenryu (Kise, 30, 3)

3-4 Ms10w Keitenkai (Onomatsu, 26, 21)

3-4 Ms11e Hishofuji (Azumazeki, 26, 27)

6-1 Ms13w Ryuden (Takadagawa, 25, 20)

3-4 Ms14w Tokushinho (Kise, 31, 2)

3-4 Ms15e Nionoumi (Yamahibiki, 29, 16)

3-4 Ms15w Takaryu (Kise, 24, 4)

5-2 Ms16w Kotomisen (Sadogatake, 32, 14)

1-6 Ms17w Sagatsukasa (Irumagawa, 34, 12)

3-4 Ms21e Dairaido (Takadagawa, 35, 57)

5-2 Ms26w Yamaguchi (Miyagino, 26, 11)

5-2 Ms34e Sotairyu (Tokitsukaze, 33, 6)

1-6 Ms35w Dewaotori (Dewanoumi, 30, 56)

4-3 Ms37w Higonojo (Kise, 31, 11)

6-1 Ms44w Oiwato (Hakkaku, 34, 14)

2-5 Ms49w Yoshiazuma (Tamanoi, 38, 9)

3-4 Ms52w Kaonishiki (Azumazeki, 37, 27)

4-3 Ms54w Hitenryu (Tatsunami, 31, 27)

3-4 Sd3e Masakaze (Oguruma, 32, 20)

5-2 Sd34w Chiyoarashi (Kokonoe, 24, 16)

6-1 Jd61e Masunoyama (Chiganoura, 25, 6)

No yusho out of these guys, though Oiwato and Masunoyama were only one bout away. Veteran Tamaasuka had arguably the star performance, securing yet another return to juryo, while former top prospect Ryuden's 6-1 will propel him to his highest position since injuries derailed his juryo debut (and eventually his entire career) more than three years ago. On the flipside, Sagatsukasa only avoided the 0-7 whitewash in his last bout of the basho.

• Like 7

Might as well give my banzuke guesses for juryo and makushita right now.

Juryo - practically identical to Gurowake's to J9 (only the J6's are flipped), but rather different in the double-digit ranks:

Chiyotairyu (M8w 3-12) J1 Toyohibiki (M9e 3-12)

Satoyama (M15e 6-9) J2 Chiyoshoma (J10e 11-4)

Chiyonokuni (J7e 9-6) J3 Arawashi (J5e 8-7)

Kitaharima (J8e 9-6) J4 Sadanofuji (J4e 7-8)

Kagayaki (J4w 7-8) J5 Akiseyama (M16e 4-11)

Ishiura (J8w 8-7) J6 Kitataiki (M15w 3-12)

Fujiazuma (J3e 5-10) J7 Chiyoo (J10w 8-7)

Azumaryu (J7w 7-8) J8 Asasekiryu (J2e 4-11)

Dewahayate (J13e 9-6) J9 Amakaze (J13w 9-6)

Asabenkei (J12e 8-7) J10 Asahisho (J9e 7-8)

Tsurugisho (J9w 7-8) J11 Jokoryu (J6w 5-10)

Ura (Ms2w 6-1) J12 Chiyomaru (J11w 7-8)

Kagamio (J5w 4-11) J13 Sato (Ms9e 7-0 Y)

Tamaasuka (Ms1w 5-2) J14 Tenkaiho (J11e 6-9)

And makushita:

Hakuyozan (Ms4e 4-3) Ms1 Akua (Ms5e 4-3)

Kyokutaisei (J14w 6-9) Ms2 Onosho (J12w 5-10)

Ryuden (Ms13w 6-1) Ms3 Daiki (Ms8w 5-2)

Shosei (Ms10e 5-2) Ms4 Kotoeko (Ms7e 4-3)

Hamaguchi (Ms7w 4-3) Ms5 Sakigake (Ms8e 4-3)

Kizenryu (Ms9w 4-3) Ms6 Akinokawa (Ms14e 5-2)

Daishoho (Ms3e 3-4) Ms7 Terutsuyoshi (Ms3w 3-4)

Shotenro (J14e 3-9-3) Ms8 Sakamoto (Ms11w 4-3)

Kotomisen (Ms16w 5-2) Ms9 Tochihiryu (Ms1e 2-5)

Shiba (Ms6e 3-4) Ms10 Abi (Ms2e 2-5)

Mugendai (Ms30w 6-1) Ms11 Rikishin (Ms31e 6-1)

Masunosho (Ms22e 5-2) Ms12 Meisei (Ms23w 5-2)

Daiseiho (Ms18e 4-3) Ms13 Iwasaki (Ms19w 4-3)

Yamaguchi (Ms26w 5-2) Ms14 Kotaro (Ms20e 4-3)

Wakanoshima (Ms4w 2-5) Ms15 Karatsuumi (Sd25e 7-0 D)

There's fairly much room this time so the promotions are all pretty decent in size. I'm looking forward to find out if they do shoehorn Karatsuumi into the top 15...Sd25e is somewhere right near the bubble and there haven't been enough historical cases to know if it's in or out.

• Like 1

After an arduous battle, my GTB guess is ready. Ultimately, the most difficult decision proved to remain Homarefuji vs. Chiyotairyu, and I went in favor of the former - only 2 cases of M8w's with 3-12 in the last 50 years, and both fell to Juryo. Honorable mentions go to the M4-M6 area, which is as grey as can be. I'll keep an eye out for any news, I guess.

By the way, I feel compelled to mention my appreciation for this here thread, GTB or no GTB. Thank you very much, Asashosakari, I find this very interesting.

I didn't even check for the Sandanme 7-0 in the highest part of the division; I somehow assumed Oyanagi was the only 7-0. I suppose that had I noticed Karatsuumi in the top quarter of the banzuke I would have given him the last spot, as I had to bump up a guy from where they would normally be to fill it. I'd say top quarter Sd 7-0 -> top quarter Ms is reasonable when there's no log jam, although the history in that area is very sparse.

Kaisei sanyaku? (Eating...)

Finally after 7x1 in World Cup, Zika Virus, Politic Turmoil etc etc some good (possible) news

• Like 3

Kaisei sanyaku? (Eating...)

Finally after 7x1 in World Cup, Zika Virus, Politic Turmoil etc etc some good (possible) news

Actually, I found the 7:1 quite entertaining. ;-)

If you want to cheer up, remember 2002 when you bet us hoplessly to nil in the final. :(

Despite football games, I have every respect for your patriotic support for Kaisei, and I share your wish seeing him in sanyaku ranks next basho. For quite some time now he is constantly staying in upper Makuuchi ranks whithout greater attention. Will be a good thing to see him there.

While talking about Kaisei...

Can you tell us something about media coverage he gets in Brazil?

Edited by torquato

There is no sumo media in Brazil, except by the japanese comunity.

I hope that when they anounces next banzuke He recevies some focus as when he became a maegashira.

It is my first message here, so thank you Kintamayama for your persistence.

• Like 2