Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Ample men saying stuff- Haru 2016

Day 5 talk:

Ichinojou, overwhelming new hope Mitakeumi in their first meeting: "I didn't want to lose, so I had more fighting spirit than I usually do. I entered sumo before him, and anyway, he doesn't even have a proper mage.."

Soukokurai, returning after a bout of influenza after missing three days, and then losing: "I spent all my time sleeping. I lost about 4 kilos. My body feels light when I do my shiko foot stamps.."

Ikioi, winning five straight at his home basho: "I get nervous when I think of the fact that this is a local basho for me..I'm thinking to myself that this is Nagoya.."

Myougiryuu, losing to the very expected henka done by Aminishiki bringing about his first loss of the basho: "Doing a half-baked tachiai because I'm expecting a henka would do me no good. I have no remorse, I have no regrets.."

Tochiouzan, using a swift attack to get his first basho win: "I decided that under no circumstances will I do any pulling. I was able to win my way, and I hope this will bring about good results.."

Takayasu, getting thrown by Terunofuji at the edge and has yet to win this basho: "Today was my best bout this basho. My body is moving well, and my condition is not bad at all.."

Goueidou, overwhelmed by Kotoyuuki's power and getting his first loss of the basho: "I have to improve my first step. I have got to hit much harder and take the initiative."

Harumafuji, losing only once so far despite his right shoulder and various other injuries: "My body is really gambarizing well. The key will be how well my body will adapt to deal with the injuries as the days pile on.."

Kotoyuuki, beating his second Ozeki this basho: "It was good sumo. I feel as if I used all my power.. The accumulations of these experiences will surely help me in the future.."

Okinoumi, handing Kotoshougiku his first loss after a monoii: "I was sure I lost it. I was totally overpowered from the tachiai but.I'm really relieved on getting my first win and hope I can continue calmly now.."

Hakuhou, on not being very efficient in his win today: "I can't do satisfying sumo during all 15 days of the basho.."

Aoiyama, beaten in the end by Hakuhou: "That was my best bout ever against the Yokozuna, da? I just needed a little bit more..Really.."

Kisenosato, winning his fifth straight and now the only unbeaten Ozeki: "I'm feeling really good. It's day by day- all I can do is go about my business believing in myself.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 14

Myougiryuu, losing to the very expected henka done by Aminishiki bringing about his first loss of the basho: "Doing a half-baked tachiai because I'm expecting a henka would do me no good. I have no remorse, I have no regrets.."

Pretty sure there are ways around that...

Day 5 talk:

Ichinojou, overwhelming new hope Mitakeumi in their first meeting: "I didn't want to lose, so I had more fighting spirit than I usually do. I entered sumo before him, and anyway, he doesn't even have a proper mage.."

lol. Well, that was you not so very long ago, Ichinojo.

This is good stuff, I'll definitely be down to read more of these should they happen to appear.

Day 6 talk:

Amakaze from Juryo, facing rising star and sumo trickster Ura from Makushita, who got his kachikoshi today and will be in Juryo next basho: "He just disappeared from my sight at the tachiai.. Incredible. He went extraordinarily low.."

Mitakeumi, doing attacking sumo and winning his 4th: "I couldn't do my own style of tachiai, but after that my body was moving well. The feeling that I did not want to lose was strong.."

Ichinojou, losing to Daieishou on their first meeting, thereby ending his winning streak at 5: "I didn't mean to, but I pulled..My old bad habit emerged.."

Myougiryuu, beating Kaisei for his 5th win: "He's heavy. It felt like he was coming from high above..It was good that I attacked. Just like I had pictured it would be.."

Terunofuji, yorikiried by fate Kotoyuuki and suffering his second loss: "I was mad that we didn't manage to get it right during the first tachiai..I had my hands down but he wouldn't move. It felt like he was out for a fight.."

Toyonoshima, losing to Hakuhou for his 5th loss: "I was completely beaten.. Tomorrow against Kotoshougiku? There is no rikishi that it's OK to lose to.."

Yoshikaze, beating Harumafuji by hikiotoshi and getting his second win of the basho: "I really didn't do anything. It seemed like the Yokozuna slipped on his own. Still, I'm happy I won!"

Kakuryuu, showing powerful yorikiri and getting his 5th win: "I was in a good position. My body is moving well and I'm able to respond. I think that's good."

Kotoyuuki, beating one Yokozuna and two Ozeki so far: "My initial step is good. I just want to remember the need to challenge my opponents by moving forward. All I can do is to concentrate on doing my own sumo every day.. Still, I can't believe this is really happening. I just feel I'm giving it all I've got.."

Kotoshougiku, bouncing back from a loss: "I managed to do flowing, attacking sumo. If I don't win it's no fun..Today was fun.." Tomorrow he faces Toyonoshima who was the only one who beat him last basho. "I better go in there with some extra spirit!!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 16

Terunofuji, yorikiried by fate

Brilliant!!

More day 6:

Harumafuji, suffering his second loss and heavily bandaged: "Of course I will appear tomorrow. I shall gambarize!! I am not giving up on the yusho just yet.. If you get injured in sumo, you cure it with sumo-that's the sumo way.. "

• Like 1

Terunofuji, yorikiried by fate Terunofuji and suffering his second loss: "I was mad that we didn't manage to get it right during the first tachiai..I had my hands down but he wouldn't move. It felt like he was out for a fight.."

Terunofuji really is amazing, the man can do anything he sets his mind to. 😉 Edited by dingo
  • Like 1

Terunofuji, yorikiried by fate Terunofuji and suffering his second loss: "I was mad that we didn't manage to get it right during the first tachiai..I had my hands down but he wouldn't move. It felt like he was out for a fight.."

Terunofuji really is amazing, the man can do anything he sets his mind to.

(Oops!) (Oops!)

• Like 1

More day 6:

Harumafuji, suffering his second loss and heavily bandaged: "Of course I will appear tomorrow. I shall gambarize!! I am not giving up on the yusho just yet.. If you get injured in sumo, you cure it with sumo-that's the sumo way.. "

The sumo way sounds pretty damn stupid when you put it that way.

"Oh look! I've been injured by a 200kg man landing on my knee sideways. Obviously, the only cure is to get back in the ring with more 200kg men!"

Edited by Kuroyama
  • Like 1

You have Toyonoshima saying “tomorrow Kotoyuuki” instead of Kotoshōgiku. I guess it’s Kotoshōgiku at least?

You have Toyonoshima saying “tomorrow Kotoyuuki” instead of Kotoshōgiku. I guess it’s Kotoshōgiku at least?

Yes, you are right of course..

Day 7:

Myougiryuu, losing to unbeaten Ikioi, his second loss of the basho: "Really frustrating.. I had all kinds of plans for the bout.. He took advantage of my spirit (in Japanese - Ikioi. Clever pun..) and threw me down.."

Kotoyuuki, three straight wins and more wins than losses: "I am more happy with the fact that I'm able to do my own sumo all the way, than with the wins themselves. My initial step was good and I was able to move forward well!"

Takarafuji, winning on day 1 and losing the next six days: "This is really awful. But I'm pretty sure a win will turn things around.."

Toyonoshima, pushing Kotoshougiku to the edge but losing anyway: "It's not worth anything if I don't win. I'm not winning, and I really wanted this to be a turning point.."

Terunofuji, facing Soukokurai who has never faced an Ozeki before, and calmly beating him: "I was thinking to go about it carefully. If I can get the mawashi, it's OK."

Soukokurai, facing an Ozeki for the first time: "I froze.. My objective was to face the Yokozuna/ Ozeki. I was really looking forward to that.."

Goueidou, still with one loss: "I saw my opponent well. When you expect Aminishiki to do a henka he comes out thrusting, and vice versa.."

Kisenosato, remains unbeaten: "Day by day, bout by bout- all I can do is concentrate."

Ikioi, remains unbeaten as well. He does not want to know who his opponent is until the next morning and in the dressing room has the volume of the TV set down so he won't hear who he's up against: "It's a daily routine.." he explained. Boy, is he in for a surprise..

Tochinoshin, 22 straight losses to Hakuhou in 22 bouts. Third place all-time for consecutive losses in Makuuchi to the same guy from the first bout: "When I came in low at the tachiai, he just came at me. Really bad.."

Harumafuji, rebounding from his second loss and beating the 201 kilo Aoiyama with a swift attack: "My body was moving well so I switched gears and went all out and dealt with it.. Using all of one's resources in every bout leads to the final score after 15 days.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 12

Kotoyuuki, three straight wins and more wins than losses: "I am more happy with the fact that I'm able to do my own sumo all the way, than with the wins themselves.

As if he was able to do any other kind of sumo...

• Like 2

Ikioi, remains unbeaten as well. He does not want to know who his opponent is until the next morning and in the dressing room has the volume of the TV set down so he won't hear who he's up against: "It's a daily routine.." he explained. Boy, is he in for a surprise..

Is that just this tournament, or do you know if this is his general preference? Robocop did this same thing, didn't he?

Day 8 talk:

Hakuhou threw Yoshikaze off the dohyo after he had already won, causing him to land on head shinpan Izutsu. Result- Izutsu could not walk on his own and was wheel-chaired to a hospital. On Hakuhou's extra throw that led to Izutsu Oyakata's hospitalization:

Hakkaku rijicho: "It was all in the flow of the bout.."

Yoshikaze: "You've been asking about the dame-oshi (extra shove) so much but you aren't asking about the substance of the sumo and that's a pity. OK, I got shoved an extra shove-happy now??"

Oosunaarashi, down in Juryo and getting his kachikoshi, almost certain to return to Makuuchi next basho: "It has nothing to do with that-there's still some way to go. I'm just beginning.."

Ichinojou, losing to Myougiryuu and suffering his second loss of the basho: "I couldn't do anything. I managed to push him away once but after that I was too slow.."

Ikioi, losing to Kisenosato in the "unbeaten rikishi battle": "I gave it all I had so I'm really refreshed. I'd like to continue full of spirit till the end!!"

Okinoumi, beating Terunofuji for his second win of the basho: "The content of my sumo was bad but my opponent was an Ozeki so it's good, right? Tomorrow is what is important-tomorrow!!"

Terunofuji, kadoban and injuring his left elbow while losing to Okinoumi: "When I used my left hand it hurt.. I'm OK. All I can do about it is to do sumo.."

Harumafuji, facing Soukokurai who had his first Yokozuna bout experience: "I think he managed to climb up the ranks thanks to his determination and effort. I wish to praise him!!" (Reminder- Soukokurai was kicked out of sumo together with some 20 other rikishi for fixing matches, was adamant he was innocent, and was reinstated after three years, the first time a rikishi has ever returned from a forced retirement..)

Soukokurai, losing his first ever Yokozuna match to Harumafuji: "I was wondering how it would feel to face a Yokozuna for the first time, but the atmosphere is totally different.. It's cool!! I'd like to do it again.."

Kakuryuu, downing Aoiyama and winning his 7th straight bout after losing on day one: "My body is moving very well. I was overly cautious on day 1. I'd like to seriously concentrate and do sumo.."

Kotoshougiku, still with only one loss and well in contention: "I used my weight against Tochiouzan - I'm satisfied with my record. Now, I don't want to rush things- I just want to enjoy myself and give it my all!"

Goueidou, winning by a blatant henka: "I can't afford to lose.. Tomorrow I will face Kakuryuu in my usual manner, with vigor and enthusiasm. "

Hakkaku rijicho on the henka: "Winning is important, but there were probably many fans out there who wished to see good sumo.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 13

Day 8 talk:

Yoshikaze: "You've been asking about the dame-oshi (extra shove) so much but you aren't asking about the substance of the sumo and that's a pity. OK, I got shoved an extra shove-happy now??"

Oosunaarashi, down in Juryo and getting his kachikoshi, almost certain to return to Makuuchi next basho: "It has nothing to do with that-there's still some way to go. I'm just beginning.."

Yoshikaze: "Here are your scraps, you vultures." lol

And Osunaarashi just being marvelously cool, as usual.

Day 10:

Hakuhou, on beating Terunofuji: "I got a good hold. I just had to push him out.. I'd like to keep going with the flow I found on day 2 and do good sumo. These last few days I've been able to move forward so I'm feeling good. Still, it's one day at a time.."

Kisenosato, staying unbeaten: "My body is moving well. But from here on it's live or die..I will be going all out tomorrow (against Hakuhou).

Ichinojou, first kachikoshi after three bashos: " Before the basho I was hoping to win all my bouts and get the kachikoshi.. A kachikoshi in sanyaku would make me very happy but being ranked this low does not make me happy one bit.."

Myougiryuu, still with only two losses: "The kachikoshi was on the line and my opponent Daieishou was my junior in high school and I really did not want to lose to him so I was overthinking it and becoming stressed. It wasn't sumo that I would write home about.."

Tochiouzan, who will be losing his sanyaku status for the first time after 5 bashos: "Really frustrating. I feel I'm getting better but I'm not hitting like I should be.."

Takayasu, watching his heyamate Kisenosato's bout on the dressing room TV set: "Whatever gets thrown at him, he manages to win. Looking good!!"

Yoshikaze, losing to Takayasu after being henka'd and getting his makekoshi: "I didn't think he would henka. I will continue the rest of the basho with all my strength."

Kakuryuu, attacking Kisenosato the whole bout, yet suffering his third loss: "I think that if I would have stuck closer to him he wouldn't have been able to apply the kotenage. I would like to duly fulfill my responsibility as a Yokozuna."

Toyonoshima, beating his 2nd Yokozuna (today Harumafuji, day 1- Kakuryuu) of the basho, but 9 days apart..: "I already got my makekoshi so I told myself to go all out.. My only 2 wins this basho are against Yokozunas so it's really shameful.."

Harumafuji, losing to Toyonoshima: "I went in too low. He first-stepped me, I crumbled, and lost my balance."

Goueidou, beating Kotoshougiku and shattering his Yokozuna hopes: "I'm not conscious of that..I responded well."

Hakkaku on Goueidou: "He has a good chance for the yusho. He already has his kachikoshi and has escaped kadoban, so he can continue calmly. Extraordinary thing.."

• Like 18

Day 11 talk:

Kaisei, getting his kachikoshi and asked which kind of celebratory sake he will be drinking: "Sake? I hate sake. I do love Cola though..Now, I just want to pile on some more wins.."

Myougiryuu, still with only 2 losses: "I already got my kachikoshi so there is no pressure. A heavy load is off my back.. The yusho race? I am not involved.."

Ikioi, stopping his losing streak at 3 and getting his kachikoshi: "I've been in defensive mode these last few days and didn't take the offensive. Today, my rhythm was good and I was one step before my opponent.."

Ichinojou, 3rd loss and dropping away from the yusho race: "I wasn't thinking about that at all. More importantly, the substance of my sumo was bad. My feet aren't moving forward and I can't hold my own at the edge of the dohyo.."

Yoshikaze, 9th loss and a certain drop from Sanyaku: "Nothing is working for me these days, so whenever something does work for me I am happy.."

Terunofuji, beating Kotoshougiku the way he planned to, and getting his seventh win: "With this battered body, if I do upfront sumo I just can't win, so.. My opponent has been very strong lately.."

Harumafuji, losing to "in the zone" local boy Goueidou: "It feels like Goueidou's back is being pushed by all the local fans' cheering.."

Kakuryuu, stopping his slide at 2 losses and gaining his kachikoshi: "I wanted to gain that kachikoshi much earlier. I threw yesterday's bad feelings to the wind!!"

Goueidou, well in the yusho race: "Well, if I can win, that's good.. I am able to concentrate." This is his first double digit win basho since he was promoted to Ozeki. " I don't think about that stuff.. I am not thinking about the yusho- I'm only concentrating on tomorrow's bout."

Kisenosato, suffering his first loss: "It's money time now. I can only give it all I've got. I will believe in myself and see it through till the end!!"

Kotoshougiku, fading away in the second half of the basho: "I need to be patient..I will try to turn my feelings around as I face the three Yokozunas.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 13

Day 11 talk:

Ichinojou, 3rd loss and dropping away from the yusho race: "I wasn't thinking about that at all. More importantly, the substance of my sumo was bad. My feet aren't moving forward and I can't hold my own at the edge of the dohyo.."

Terunofuji, beating Kotoshougiku the way he planned to, and getting his seventh win: "With this battered body, if I do upfront sumo I just can't win, so.. My opponent has been very strong lately.."

Goueidou, well in the yusho race: "Well, if I can win, that's good.. I am able to concentrate." This is his first double digit win basho since he was promoted to Ozeki. " I don't think about that stuff.. I am not thinking about the yusho- I'm only concentrating on tomorrow's bout."

Kisenosato, suffering his first loss: "It's money time now. I can only give it all I've got. I will believe in myself and see it through till the end!!"

Ichinojo-I still think he can get 10 wins or more. IchinOzeki :)

Terunofuji-Hoping he will withdraw after getting Win #8 so he can heal (Was that payback for last Year in Nagoya?)

Goeido-Well, after calling him an Ozekiwake for sometime now, I am Happily eating my words. MMMMMM YUMMY!!!!!

Kisenosato-Still slowly become more of a fan, hammer down.

Goeido-Well, after calling him an Ozekiwake for sometime now, I am Happily eating my words. MMMMMM YUMMY!!!!!

Normally, we'd call these sorts of results 'outliers'.

• Like 1

Well, I like Kaisei for another reason, I prefer diet coke to sake myself.

• Like 1

Day 13:

Daieishou, his first ever Makuuchi kachikoshi: "This basho, I'm not hesitating at the tachiai. I'm wondering if I can make it in Makuuchi.."

Shoudai, 2 straight kachikoshis since entering Makuuchi: " I am so exhausted I feel I am stretched to the limit. I'll give it my all for the last two days!"

Myougiryuu, third loss, retreating from the yusho race: "My sumo was not intense. No big deal that I lost. There is always tomorrow.."

Ikioi, swift attack and getting double-figure wins after two bashos: "I was able to do good sumo. But we still have two days to go so I'm not summing up anything yet. Getting a special prize is the decision of those that must evaluate.."

Takarafuji, beating Hakuhou on Day 1 but going makekoshi: "I've got to win more during the first half of the basho. I missed a chance to become sekiwake.." (side note from me-start practicing diving from the dohyo after you have already lost- you may have to face Hakuhou again in the near future..)

Kotoyuuki, Sekiwake promotion a done deal: "The wins are by chance.. I'm looking forward to every day by being cautious and concentrating. I know I've beaten all Komusubi and Sekiwake, but I don't give that much thought-everyone is strong at these ranks. I'm just going out there doing my best and I guess that works.. As for the special prizes, it's up to those that evaluate. Right now, I am concentrating with all my might on the job at hand.."

Kakuryuu, being obliterated by Hakuhou: "I wanted to get an inside grip, getting slapped around notwithstanding. It's a bit shameful.."

Harumafuji, bringing down Kotoshougiku with a shitatenage: "I did manage to get inside.. I will gambarize for the remaining two days!"

Kotoshougiku, creamed by Harumafuji: "My tachiai was bad. I couldn't believe myself.."

Kisenosato, ending his two day slide: "I haven't changed anything I'm doing. I will prepare myself seriously and do what I can do. I will go about it with full concentration."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 12

Day 14:

Satoyama, 34 years old and again, for the sixth time, failing to get a Makuuchi kachikoshi: "Whatever I do, I can't break the wall..My sake drinking is the same as it has always been, and my body is healthy.."

Mitakeumi, beating Chiyotairyuu who always goes with him to the same sushi joint in Tokyo: "He is the favorite to win so I don't feel I have overtaken him at all.. The squid tentacles are really tasty. I always eat as many as I can.."

Shoudai, 9th win, facing Mitakeumi tomorrow in a battle between college Yokozunas: "It's a bout that makes me nervous.. I think I may reach sanyaku. If this bout will determine that, this is where I would like it to be finalized.."

Okinoumi, 5 straight wins and evening his record at 7-7, giving him a shot at a sanyaku return: "One more loss and I'm makekoshi. No margin for error. One day, one bout- I will gambarize tomorrow as well!"

Ikioi, losing the battle between the local boys, 4th loss: "I hit well and I attacked well. I lost, but I managed to give it my all, so I'm feeling refreshed.."

Terunofuji, getting it right on the third tachi-ai attempt and totally beaten by Kisenosato: " We couldn't synchronize our breathing. I was planning on hitting him from the right but it didn't go as planned."

Kakuryuu beating Harumafuji for his 9th win: "I was a bit late at the tachiai but it went well after that. 10 wins will give me the feeling of a kachikoshi.."

Harumafuji, losing to Kakuryuu for his fifth loss and facing Hakuhou on the final day: "Kakuryuu managed to get inside.. I want to give it my all and do my own sumo in the last bout of the basho!!"

Goueidou, beating Ikioi and remaining one win behind the leader, still with a chance to get his first yusho: "That was bad sumo. My body is moving well, I'm not thinking about the fact that if I win tomorrow I'll get my most wins ever in a basho- I just want to go out there and give it everything I've got!!"

Kotoshougiku, losing to Hakuhou and suffering his sixth loss of the basho: "Tomorrow I'll have my last bout and rethink things. I'll go about it with patience..Today I planned on doing long, patient sumo but I just couldn't generate any power. I like to get close up to my opponents as that is my kind of sumo, but my initial step is all over the place.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 14

Final day:

Kaisei, acquiring his 11th win, his return to sanyaku now a certainty: "When I expect something, I remember my disappointment every time I never managed to rise in the ranks, so I was not expecting anything.."

Mitakeumi, third basho in Makuuchi and his first double-digit win basho: "My power and my speed have improved somewhat.. I am happy, but I am wondering if I can keep winning when I'm ranked higher.."

Myougiryuu, stalling from day 13 and finishing with a 10-5 record: "I lost three straight at the end so the ending was not good.."

Okinoumi, 6 straight wins and getting his kachikoshi, and earning a sure sanyaku berth next basho: "I wanted to get that kachikoshi even when I had 7 losses. It was good that I managed not to burden myself with too many things.."

Aminishiki, injuring his knee in the second half of the basho and going makekoshi: "Pain or no pain, one must remain focused.

I was able to do my own sumo till the end so that was good."

Terunofuji, losing to Yoshikaze and ending his first-ever kadoban basho with an 8-7 record: "It's over. It was intense. I will do my best not to aggravate my injuries from now on."

Kakuryuu, getting his 10th win on the final day: "I think 10 wins for a Yokozuna is equal to getting a kachikoshi. I have got to remain in the yusho race till the end, otherwise it's no good.."

Harumafuji, flying out by himself and losing to Hakuhou: "The tachiai was neither here nor there. I did concentrate, though. I will blow away my bitterness next basho!!"

Endou, winning his last 5 bouts and possibly returning to Makuuchi next basho: "The situation was not good before the basho and during the first half, but I managed to pile up those wins in the second half so things turned out OK..Sometimes I had to use every trick in the book.. I hope I can show a semblance of what I used to be next basho.."

Kotoyuuki, getting his first shukun-sho ( outstanding performance prize): "I am happy. I went through some bad times, but with patience, the good times follow.. I just kept going without giving up and I am pleased."

Kotoshougiku, ending his Yokozuna run with a dismal 8-7 after starting out well: "The outcome is what ultimately counts.. Somewhere along the line a screw became loose. I'm tired. This is really bad.."

Goueidou, winning 12 in front of his hometown fans: "I had a run of difficult bashos. I was encouraged by my Oyakata and the okamisan and many others. I think I managed to live up to their expectations and will face the next basho while doing my best to forge and build up my body."

Hakuhou, falling apart during his interview and shedding some tears. The interview: "Thank you very much. It's been a while since I got a yusho. Agony? Well, till now.. (Long pause). Really, senshuraku - (the final day)- I didn't plan to decide the bout with that kind of a henka - that was inexcusable.."

Hakkaku Rijicho on the basho: "Hakuhou is stable. He just doesn't lose. This basho, we saw the return of Hakuhou of old.. Kisenosato's 13 wins are huge, losing only to Yokozunas. I think it was magnificent. Tsunatori next basho? It all depends on how he does and what the atmosphere surrounding him will be.."

Isegahama chief judge: "I guess Hakuhou was closely watching Harumafuji's charge. I can say clearly that that was unsatisfactory sumo. Kisenosato showed unprecedented calm, but regarding a tsuna run, overall, he is still lacking that extra something.."

Hakuhou, shedding.

sum16032718040008-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 11

Kisenosato showed unprecedented calm, but regarding a tsuna run, overall, he is still lacking that extra something.."

A yusho would really help..... Sorry for stating the obvious. That being said, a yusho next time and I believe he gets promoted.