Akinomaki

Sumo live on PC with a new Softbank service

Softbank Japan in cooperation with Yahoo will start a Sports streaming service that includes all torikumi (I guess they mean makuuchi only) of all 6 basho of the year - has to be the NSK stream (or only the sumo app) thus.

To watch live and any time later from the archive, an app for smart phone and tablet.

500 yen a month for Softbank users and 3000 Yen for others, the first month free for both.

SportsNaviLive will start for Softbank users on March 17th, day 5 of the Haru basho, for others in June or later.

http://www.softbank.jp/corp/group/sbm/news/press/2016/20160310_02/

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20160310_747638.html

If all basho of the year remain in the archives that's better than the full NSK stream which only remains till the next basho starts, but the same as the sumo app.

In that case it should be watchable outside of Japan - after maybe registering there first.

The NSK stream is 12 000 Yen per basho, the Softbank people apparently know not much of sumo and with all torikumi mean all makuuchi torikumi.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5

Does this mean I get my life back?

It's only 90 days a year, and let's be honest, you luuuuuurve doing it :-D :-P

Don't worry we will let you know when we want to dispense with your services. Anyway it's not like a prison sentence, there you'd get time off for good behaviour.

I hope not!

I really appreciate your full Makuuchi coverage on YT, and I hope you can find a way to continue bringing it to us somehow.

• Like 1

So the NSK just gives a brief notice that their (overpriced) Livestream and VOD service was shut down for good after the March 2016 tournament - I didn't expect it to run that long in the first place...

But besides this very short announcement at the NSK homepage, there is no mention about whether or not this new Softbank service is regarded as the official successor of the now defunct UStream pay-per-view service.

Bad NSK communication and marketing once again?

My guess is that the NSK would post another message about the new Livestream/VOD option on their website on Day 1 of the May tournament - if they announce it at all...

Talking about the SoftBank video service, I highly doubt it works for users who are not in Japan.

Can anyone who has tried it please share their experience?

Edited by kuroimori

At least we now know they really show all

I found a guy who posted the results for each maezumo session so far, he says he watched it all via that Softbank streaming thing which does cover all divisions.

I found a guy who posted the results for each maezumo session so far, he says he watched it all via that Softbank streaming thing which does cover all divisions.

... but it only works in Japan / with a softbank phone contract, right?

Now, but next basho for all - it should be working outside of Japan then, maybe with a first registration in Japan required though

Softbank Japan in cooperation with Yahoo will start a Sports streaming service that includes all torikumi (I guess they mean makuuchi only) of all 6 basho of the year - has to be the NSK stream (or only the sumo app) thus.

To watch live and any time later from the archive, an app for smart phone and tablet.

500 yen a month for Softbank users and 3000 Yen for others, the first month free for both.

SportsNaviLive will start for Softbank users on March 17th, day 5 of the Haru basho, for others in June or later.

• Like 2

Now, but next basho for all - it should be working outside of Japan then, maybe with a first registration in Japan required though

Wow, I must have missed that! That would indeed be great. I just hope they get it right and don't screw it up like the NSK did with their recent streaming project.

I'd be happy just to see a more reasonable price point being chosen, any other obstacles can be overcome. ;-) The mooted 3000 yen per month/per basho (~ €25/$25) would at least be a price that doesn't feel extortionate.

• Like 2

The app should soon be available for other providers, an event for the new CM for it just took place.

It is available on the Apple App Store and Google Play http://app.ent-ext.mb.softbank.jp/sports/

Trying to install it on one of my tablets gets a "cannot be installed in your device's country" for one and "not compatible with your device" for the older one registered in Japan.

The page tells it is for tablets though: WIFI users need to login with a Softbank phone number so far.

The schedule for Nagoya http://app.ent-ext.mb.softbank.jp/sports/schedule/index.html?category=3&month=2&week=1

• Like 2

I don't understand... Why the don't a stream like that available on fix computer, tablet and smartphone. And of course that is working worlwide not region restricted.

I will allow a lot more fan and newcomer to watch sumo. The popularity of sumo will make a huge jump i m sure.

Sometimes NSK is doing things that i can't understand...

I'd be willing to be that international revenues would be a drop in the bucket compared to local sales, and they probably don't see it worth the hassle so far.

The app should soon be available for other providers, an event for the new CM for it just took place.

It is available on the Apple App Store and Google Play http://app.ent-ext.mb.softbank.jp/sports/

Trying to install it on one of my tablets gets a "cannot be installed in your device's country" for one and "not compatible with your device" for the older one registered in Japan.

The page tells it is for tablets though: WIFI users need to login with a Softbank phone number so far.

The schedule for Nagoya http://app.ent-ext.mb.softbank.jp/sports/schedule/index.html?category=3&month=2&week=1

Do you have an Japan iTunes account?

No, Google Play: I use one tablet for all things Japanese: also an Amazon.jp account for the books and free apps: if you change to another (e.g. German) account, all the books on your device are gone and all apps from them cease to function.

I registered everything in Japan on my old tablet, to get the free Japanese apps from Google Play - esp. the wapro input system: you don't have that for an Android tablet, though it is included in any Windows systems for the PC.

Has anyone found a way to subscribe to Softbank from outside Japan? The price seems to be reasonable for the full torikumi.

Trying to apply from outside of Japan might give an answer to that.

SportsNaviLive after late November will get a homepage for registered users to watch the stream also on PC and Mac, so not for next basho. You have to register in Japan at first (and likely need a mobile contract in Japan for that), but then should be able to log in from anywhere in the world. The app for mobile and tablet works with Google Cast and the stream can also be watched on a TV monitor via a Chromecast device. At present the cost of the service for non-softbank users is till end of March down half to 1500 Yen per month. http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1027520.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Hmmm, I haven't been in this topic for more than 10 years, but...

what would be the cheapest mobile phone contract in Japan, eligible for non-residents that would qualify for this service?