Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Naruto-beya preparations

Ex-Kotooshu, Naruto-oyakata moves towards independence from Sadogatake-beya.

He has the approval from Sadagatake-oyakata and his first private deshi Kobayashi (15, 167cm, 92kg) from Hokuto-city, Yamanashi, for the future Naruto-beya passed the initial shin-deshi exam for Haru and enters Sadogatake-beya. Karate backgound, reaching the best 8 in a national tournament, no sumo experience.

The oyakata presently is looking for premises for the heya in the Metropolitan area.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1613174.html

ba-110naruto-ty160306-ogp_0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, Muhomatsu said:

Naruto-oyakata (former Ozeki Kotooshu) will branch out on his own in April according to this article.  He will restart Naruto-beya with one deshi (his own recruit) from Sadogatake.  He also is supposed to have a Bulgarian recruit for May. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1786042.html

N-sta had an 8min. special on him today, as the 3rd foreigner to have his own heya, the first from Europe - with many old scenes from him and a bit about the other 2 (Takamiyama->Azumazeki, Musashimari->Musashigawa)

the video may disappear soon:

The heya will start at a temporary residence in Sumida-ward, the next riji-kai this month has to acknowledge the new heya. He still has only (Koto-)Kobayashi to start with. The old Naruto-beya is now Tagonoura, since Dec. 2013.

On 6.3.2016 at 11:51, Akinomaki said:

his first private deshi Kobayashi (15, 167cm, 92kg) from Hokuto-city, Yamanashi, for the future Naruto-beya

20170302-OHT1I50075-L.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

On 2.3.2017 at 14:35, Akinomaki said:

The heya will start at a temporary residence in Sumida-ward, the next riji-kai this month has to acknowledge the new heya. He still has only (Koto-)Kobayashi to start with.

The riji-kai today acknowledged the creation of the new Naruto-beya. Osh will start with 2, the other is a shin-deshi for Haru, one of the new recruits for Sadogatake thus is for him - and later the new Bulgarian will be joining. Looks like the heya will also have the permanent residence in Sumida-ward.  http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170310/sum17031019100006-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

Naruto beya has officially been opened today headed by proud Naruto Oyakata, ex-Kotooushuu. "I'm happy. This is my first heya. I came from Bulgaria 19 years ago and at heart I feel I am Japanese. I'd like to bring up guys that will surpass my achievements. I have my own way of training. We shall see..." he said. Around a hundred guests were there for the ceremony. The heya is at a temporary residence and the plan is to move to permanent quarters in Sumida-ku in two years. There are three deshi at the heya, including the new 20-year old Bulgarian who will be entering in May.

Left to right-  Jonidan Kotokobayashi, Naruto Oyakata, Bulgarian Kasharoff, and just entered in March Kotohonma.         

元大関琴欧洲の鳴戸親方が部屋開き「うれしい」

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 14

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Naruto beya has officially been opened today headed by proud Naruto Oyakata, ex-Kotooushuu. "I'm happy. This is my first heya. I came from Bulgaria 19 years ago and at heart I feel I am Japanese. I'd like to bring up guys that will surpass my achievements. I have my own way of training. We shall see..." he said. Around a hundred guests were there for the ceremony. The heya is at a temporary residence and the plan is to move to permanent quarters in Sumida-ku in two years. There are three deshi at the heya, including the new0-year old Bulgarian who will be entering in May.

Left to right-  Jonidan Kotokobayashi, Naruto Oyakata, Bulgarian Kasharoff, and just entered in March Kotohonma.         

元大関琴欧洲の鳴戸親方が部屋開き「うれしい」

I'm wondering about the two Kotos, do they get to keep the "Koto" part of their shikonas or are they going to have change?

40 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

I'm wondering about the two Kotos, do they get to keep the "Koto" part of their shikonas or are they going to have change?

I'm pretty sure all his guys will be Koto*  too in deference to his former shisho.

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

There are three deshi at the heya, including the new0-year old Bulgarian who will be entering in May.

These new recruits are getting younger all the time...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I'm pretty sure all his guys will be Koto*  too in deference to his former shisho.

I'm not so sure about that; it would be very unusual for two stables to share a "callsign" (for lack of a better word), to say the least.

9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

For decades Koto has always meant  Sadogatake. I'm somewhat surprised they would be willing to give up their exclusive use of that prefix. 

Edited by ryafuji

2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

For decades Koto has always meant  Sadogatake. I'm somewhat surprised they would be willing to give up their exclusive use of that prefix. 

I'm sure @Kintamayama would let them use Moti.

13 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

I'm not so sure about that; it would be very unusual for two stables to share a "callsign" (for lack of a better word), to say the least.

We'll see what the new Bulgarian's shikona will be-that should answer all questions..

I am yet to see anything that indicates that ex-Kotooshu has the brains and the knowledge to guide and teach anyone. His sumo commentary are very rarely explanatory and insightful (not the only ex-sumitori to be honest). When pressed to describe movements, he rarely is able to explain what and why......his sumo was based on several techniques and lacked in variety. I know Asashoryu had some rarely close-ups with him before the Bulgarian's knee injury but ..........all in all.....I am skeptical about the ex-Kotoshu's ability to train and guide disciples to stardom. Nonetheless, I would be happy to be proven wrong, again.   

3 minutes ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

I am yet to see anything that indicates that ex-Kotooshu has the brains and the knowledge to guide and teach anyone. His sumo commentary are very rarely explanatory and insightful (not the only ex-sumitori to be honest). When pressed to describe movements, he rarely is able to explain what and why......his sumo was based on several techniques and lacked in variety. I know Asashoryu had some rarely close-ups with him before the Bulgarian's knee injury but ..........all in all.....I am skeptical about the ex-Kotoshu's ability to train and guide disciples to stardom. Nonetheless, I would be happy to be proven wrong, again.   

So him becoming the first european oyakata is just a publicity stunt? Or why else would they give a 34 year old gaijin a heya? Yes, he wasn't the greatest ozeki. But he got there in just 18 basho/3 years with only 1 MK on his way and held the title for almost 8 years (47 basho). And this single MK as komusubi was the only MK, which was not due to going kyujo.

From what i've read he wants to do things a little bit different, especially when it comes to training methods. And don't see only the physical aspects of thraining. How many hopefuls have failed, because the problem was in their heads and the rigid, traditional system destroyed them? He still is european, so his approach to coaching WILL be different. You can't completely forget a system that molded you for 19 years. Maybe leading a new path instead of following the beaten path is a way to success.

And listening to what other coaches (sports in general) say in front of the camera, i sometimes wonder if they need help tying their own shoes, but nevertheless they are highly successful. He has the hunger for it, he has the support and he has almost 31 years until retirement. His name alone will draw hopefuls, who want to join the new way.

On 1.4.2017 at 10:50, Kintamayama said:

Naruto beya has officially been opened today headed by proud Naruto Oyakata, ex-Kotooushuu. "I'm happy. This is my first heya. I came from Bulgaria 19 years ago and at heart I feel I am Japanese. I'd like to bring up guys that will surpass my achievements. I have my own way of training. We shall see..." he said. Around a hundred guests were there for the ceremony. The heya is at a temporary residence and the plan is to move to permanent quarters in Sumida-ku in two years. There are three deshi at the heya, including the new 20-year old Bulgarian who will be entering in May.

Not much variety among the pics for the event

18de199ef13b1a40f36b4bf50b97c71d.jpg

if not visible: logo_tospo_footer.gifo

but with this I thought "What hairstyle does he allow for his deshi?"

0170401at60_p.jpg

s.jpg bt-kotoooshu-meP20170402001-w200_0.jpgo k-bb-170401-naruto-P2017040101268-w200_0.jpgo 0170401at60_t.jpgo dly1704010015-g1.jpgo 20170401KW___0020400010.PH.-.-.N.CI0002.jpgo 20170402-OHT1I50044-N.jpgo spo1704010040-n1.jpgo  sum17040205000001-m1.jpgo sum17040115260001-m1.jpgo $20170402s00005000034000p_thum.jpgo

C8c9UotVoAAZqdu.jpg:thumbo

edit: later long article with another similar pic

4.jpgo

something that improves his qualifications as a shisho:

On 3.4.2015 at 12:43, Akinomaki said:

Naruto-oyakata (Kotooshu, 32) was at the Nittaidai entry ceremony, the Japan national university for physical education. He'll be 3rd year in martial arts science, continuing his studies from the Bulgarian national university for physical education. He said he wants to put into ozumo the forefront coaching and training skills, keeping the old that's good, also "How to form sumo wrestlers who don't get injured."

On 29.3.2017 at 13:39, Akinomaki said:

Today he got the special graduation certificate

On 29.3.2017 at 18:17, Akinomaki said:

Special because Osh didn't properly graduate - he didn't get the credits from all the necessary courses. But because of his achievements and work in society, he contributes to the development and fame of the university and is treated like a graduate.

Good PR for his new heya, which starts on the 1st.

Edited by Akinomaki

5 hours ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

You may be right, but I wouldn't bet against him. Many of the great sport coaches, like Yogi Berra, weren't the sharpest tool in the shed. In being limited they actually forced some of their athletes to be more versatile. I read these posts of new recruits (thanks again to those who post them!) and you invariably hear the oyakata say "Well, he's big so I want him to do X sumo..." or "He's small so I want him to do Y sumo..." which makes perfect sense. You want to maximize the abilities you have but you end up with a lot of one dimensional rikishi and unless you are exceptional in that 1 dimension you aren't getting to the very top. Does Chiyonofuji become what he did without the shoulder injury which forced him to fight more like a big guy? Hakuho is exceptional precisely because, when faced with someone who can handle his tremendous power and aggression, he seems (or used to anyway) to be able to become light and fast. Kotooshu probably knows only his way well, big and powerful,  and because of that will be a one dimensional coach. But because  he will only teach one way he will make guys not suited to it more versatile as a result. If they already had natural ability in another style they'll be a double threat and in the end that is far more likely to produce champions. Kotooshu is unlikely to get the most possible from every rikishi but he'll get more out of some then other oyakata might, IMHO. Those pictures make me feel even better about that because he is not only recruiting big guys hoping to produce clones of himself. Instead he just wants to coach which is what the great coaches all want too.

What I am saying is "I hope for the best but from I have seen there is nothing to suggest that ex-Kotoshu would train great rikishi." No insight on TV, no variety or improvement of the sumo over his career. No Sadogatake rikishi ever crediting Kotoshu for training or advices. No videos throughout the years showing him coaching. No surprise one of his three disciples is as him a former free wrestler - so he comes coached with different techniques - and ex-Kotoshu probably bets his new deshi could rise very high as he did. Other than that, ex-Kotoshu's life is set, so let's hope you would prove me wrong. 

will Kisenosato Go back to Naruto? If so That would be weird because he's a yokozuna being Trained by an Ozeki who he fought numerous times in his Career.

5 minutes ago, PawnSums said:

will Kisenosato Go back to Naruto? If so That would be weird because he's a yokozuna being Trained by an Ozeki who he fought numerous times in his Career.

Kotooshu's Naruto-beya has no connection to Kisenosato's Naruto-beya, which was re-named Tagonoura-beya in 2013. Kisenosato has nowhere to "go back" to, he's always been in the same heya. It's just had two different names.

1 minute ago, ryafuji said:

Kotooshu's Naruto-beya has no connection to Kisenosato's Naruto-beya, which was re-named Tagonoura-beya in 2013. Kisenosato has nowhere to "go back" to, he's always been in the same heya. It's just had two different names.

That's always confused me. How do they rename a heya?! they can't rename the kabu!

The oyakata buys the kabu, same way moto-Asahifuji upgraded from the Ajigawa kabu to the Isegahama kabu (and corresponding name change of the heya as well).

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 22:32, Rocks said:

I'm sure @Kintamayama would let them use Moti.

Can I be Motinishiki?

37 minutes ago, PawnSums said:

Can I be Motinishiki?

No. You need at least 1000 posts and a fat belly.

• Like 1

Just now, Kintamayama said:

No. You need at least 1000 posts and a fat belly.

Oh yeah, i'm already PawnSums.

On 03/04/2017 at 15:26, rhyen said:

The oyakata buys the kabu, same way moto-Asahifuji upgraded from the Ajigawa kabu to the Isegahama kabu (and corresponding name change of the heya as well).

The kabu owner only has to exchange it for the one with the desired myoseki, he doesn't have to buy the new one; e.g Sanoyama-oyakata > Kokonoe-oyakata to take over the heya when moto-Chiyonofuji died.

However, I imagine payments do often take place in respect of obtaining a more prestigious myoseki, even though the value of the kabu is nominally the same.

Edited by RabidJohn
Better words