Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Ancient banzuke and results

While searching in Japanese digital libraries of old books I sometimes find some about sumo with old banzuke and results, some are quite readable.

Waseda university has a small but exquisite collection.

This book about the origins of sumo http://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/wo10/wo10_01302/wo10_01302.html

lists on pages 14-26 24 banzuke from 1774 to 1800, on which the ranks below those listed in Sumo Reference can be distinguished:

and this book http://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/wo10/wo10_01275/wo10_01275.html

lists from a lot of basho of that same period the torikumi and results for a big part of each day, of which none can be found in the database.

Wins are on top, losses below, in case of a draw this is noted.

This painting of a tenran zumo for the Meiji-tenno list the results of that event

http://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/chi05/chi05_04144/chi05_04144.html

• Like 10

Wow the banzukes scanned are almost indistinguishable from the ones printed now.

Wow the banzukes scanned are almost indistinguishable from the ones printed now.

that's tradition for you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 29/02/2016 at 16:58, Akinomaki said:

While searching in Japanese digital libraries of old books I sometimes find some about sumo with old banzuke and results, some are quite readable.

Waseda university has a small but exquisite collection.

This book about the origins of sumo http://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/wo10/wo10_01302/wo10_01302.html

lists on pages 14-26 24 banzuke from 1774 to 1800, on which the ranks below those listed in Sumo Reference can be distinguished:

and this book http://archive.wul.waseda.ac.jp/kosho/wo10/wo10_01275/wo10_01275.html

lists from a lot of basho of that same period the torikumi and results for a big part of each day, of which none can be found in the database.

These 相撲起顯 sumo kigen books for all eras by the official banzuke writers of old 三河屋根岸治右衛門兼吉 Mikawaya Negishi Jiemon Kenkichi wiki/根岸流_(書風) are often already digitized by the national diet library, but some only available for view in the hall.

They can be found at unexpected places though: the Bavarian state library has several compilations together, 9 of 12 banzuke each with torikumi, all banzuke from 1801 till 1853, including 3 Natsu basho banzuke not in the DB (nor in wikipedia) - for Bunsei 4 June, 5 July and 8 May/June 3. Plus the selection of 24 older banzuke, the same as the Waseda archive. Available for download https://eastasia.digital-collections.de/search?q=三河屋 治右衛門&searchType=author&fq=all_titles_combi_lang:Sumō kigen (相撲起顯) AND all_languages:ja&locale=en

The year and start month of the basho is not written where we are used to though, below the 蒙御免 gomen koumuru, with the event completion〆start month/day and location. Older banzuke have it sometimes outside on the right, but mostly it's in the lower end, west or east. The date is era year plus zodiac year, the month may vary over the first 4 and last 3 months of the year for the first and last basho. The basho is on 10 days with good weather, starting on an auspicious day, so no date can be fixed. The place is hard to read - if the banzuke is in the DB, the Japanese banzuke page lists it and one can look for it.

Edit: I tried the .jpg download with OCR service from the Bavarian state library - you won't get any readable text from their OCR

Available for download from the national diet library:

2 sumo kigen books, banzuke in the end

Same as in the Waseda archive, better scan, 24 from 1774-1800 https://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/2536031

Compilation 1: 10 of the same as above, from 1774-1783: https://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/2538799

A book with 18 Meiji era (first 10 years) banzuke: https://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/1015954

View-able, pages can be saved as .jpg, but it's a bad scan, with other non-sumo banzuke and not published by the Negishi: https://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/860298

The Tokyo metropolitan library has a big photo of a banzuke from Haru 1860 http://www.library.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/portals/0/edo/tokyo_library/modal/index.html?d=5360

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
On 24/06/2020 at 17:56, Akinomaki said:

The Bavarian state library has several compilations together, 9 of 12 banzuke each with torikumi, all banzuke from 1801 till 1853, including 3 Natsu basho banzuke not in the DB (nor in wikipedia) - for Bunsei 4 June, 5 July and 8 May/June 3. Plus the selection of 24 older banzuke, the same as the Waseda archive. Available for download https://eastasia.digital-collections.de/search?q=三河屋 治右衛門&searchType=author&fq=all_titles_combi_lang:Sumō kigen (相撲起顯) AND all_languages:ja&locale=en

The year and start month of the basho is not written where we are used to though, below the 蒙御免 gomen koumuru, with the event completion〆start month/day and location. Older banzuke have it sometimes outside on the right, but mostly it's in the lower end, west or east. The date is era year plus zodiac year, the month may vary over the first 4 and last 3 months of the year for the first and last basho. The basho is on 10 days with good weather, starting on an auspicious day, so no date can be fixed. The place is hard to read - if the banzuke is in the DB, the Japanese banzuke page lists it and one can look for it.

Edit: I tried the .jpg download with OCR service from the Bavarian state library - you won't get any readable text from their OCR

I checked the 3 Natsu/Aki basho - they have a largely reduced number of top rikishi, the ranks get adjusted accordingly: many from nidanme fill the maegashira ranks, the divisions shrink a bit, maegashira till 5 at first. In Bunsei 4, makushita nidanme goes till 14, in Bunsei 5 Aki till 21 - juryo are not separate or larger printed yet, for Bunsei 5 Haru e.g. nidanme goes till 24. Bunsei 8 it gets even shorter: maegashira only till 4, nidanme till 11. Lower ranks are mostly filled with rikishi from Edo.

千年山 only for this Natsu basho is listed with the kanji 千歳山 - same Hirosaki-han shusshin, same first name - and most of all same reading.

at the Natsu basho definitely more looks like 瀇, also more this at the Haru basho, where he is nidanme 11e, and at the Fuyu basho. The DB lists the new form 鉱 of the kanji - I doubt it was ever like this on the banzuke. At the Bunsei 8 Natsu basho, he's clearly readable as 鑛.

The Bunsei 4 Natsu basho was held at the grounds of the Seisho temple 青松寺, Minato ward.

文政4春   1821 02   文政4夏   1821 06  
文政4冬

1821 10
西   西   西
柏戸 大関 玉垣   柏戸 大関 山ノ井   柏戸 大関 有馬山
源氏山 関脇 有馬山   源氏山 関脇 音羽山   源氏山 関脇 山の井
荒馬 小結 千田川   玉川 小結 佐渡ヶ嶽   雲早山 小結 高砂
  張出 山ノ井   千歳山 前1 小野山   音羽山 前1 四賀峰
雲早山 前1 緋縅   四ツ車 前2 桟シ   諭鶴羽 前2 緋縅
越ノ海 前2 四賀峰   前3   越の海 前3 龍門
諭鶴羽 前3 宮城野   鳥井崎 前4 常山   大鳴門 前4 玉川
大鳴門 前4 玉川   相引 前5 松島   千年山 前5 千年川
天秤 前5 戸田川           四ツ車 前6 越の戸
大鳥居 前6 小野山   平滝 十1 奈須車        
  張出 佐渡ヶ嶽   外ヶ浜 十2 武蔵潟        
        秀ノ川 十3 荒潮   日出山 十1 岩山
秋津野 十1 千年川   朝ノ雪 十4 鳥井崎 十2 桟シ
千年山 十2 越ノ戸   宮戸川 十5 志津嶽   十3 小野山
四ツ車 十3 荒灘   文字関 十6 滝ノ川   常山 十4 松島
十4   荒海 十7 星兜   武蔵潟 十5
鳥井崎 十5 桟シ   越ノ川 十8 巻ノ嶌   大江山 十6 奈須車
常山 十6 錣山 糸+麦 綾浪 十9 熊ヶ嶽   平滝 十7
小柳 十7 松島   大滝 十10 ヶ峰   相引 十8 滝ノ川
平滝 十8 秀ノ川   森ヶ関 十11 鷲ノ尾   鶴尾山 十9 志津嶽
相引 十9 奈須車   駒畱 十12 吉見川   外ヶ浜 十10 貴舟川
三国山 十10 四海浪   七十山 十13   熊ヶ嶽 十30  
武蔵潟 十30   衤+力 初世川 十14 岩滝   宮戸川 十30  

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

My spreadsheet program freezes if I put that many links from the DB together: the 2nd year just text. I stopped with nidanme at 15. It looks very likely that this Arashio 荒潮 and this Arashio 荒汐 are the same.

文政5春   1822 01   文政5   1822 07   文政5冬   1822 10
西     西   西
柏戸 大関 有馬山   柏戸 大関 四賀峰   柏戸 大関 玉垣
源氏山 関脇 山の井   源氏山 関脇 砥並山   源氏山 関脇 岩見潟
荒馬 小結 手柄山   荒馬 小結 音羽山   荒馬 小結 四賀峰
雲早山 前1 四賀峰   天秤 前1 玉川   雲早山 前1 音羽山
千田川 前2 音羽山   小柳 前2 千年川   大鳴門 前2 砥並山
大鳴門 前3 緋縅   四ツ車 前3 戸田川   諭鶴羽 前3 陣幕
諭鶴羽 前4 陣幕   前4 桟シ   越ノ海 前4 千年川
越の海 前5 玉川   日出山 前5   大山 前5 玉川
天秤 前6 戸田川     張出 大鳥居   千年山 前6 戸田川
千年山 前7 千年川           小柳 前7 越ノ戸
  張出 大鳥居   鳥井崎 十1 枩嶌        
        奈須車 十2 小野山   四ツ車 十1 高砂
四ツ車 十1 越の戸   武蔵潟 十3 滝ノ川   十2 風師山
小柳 十2 高砂   荒潮 十4 琴ノ浦   鳥井崎 十3 桟シ
鳥井崎 十3 桟シ   外ヶ浜 十5 黒柳   日出山 十4 奈須車
日出山 十4   十6 立浪   出来山 十5 滝ノ川
十5 小野山   大和川 十7 湊川   荒汐 十6
常山 十6 奈須車   星兜 十8 㟢ノ嶌 ? 鋸リ 十7
武蔵潟 十7 松島   大江山 十9 朝ノ雪   外ヶ浜 十8 松島
平滝 十8   大滝 十10 熊ヶ嶽   三国山 十9 琴ノ浦
荒潮 十9 滝ノ川   常盤戸 十11 文字関   大江山 十10 湊川
外ヶ浜 十30     千葉ヶ㟢 十12 志津嶽   熊ヶ嶽 十30  
        碇綱 十13 霧ヶ峯   大鳥居 十30  
        越ノ川 十14 吉野川        
        滝ノ音 十15 清見山        

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

A book with 18 Meiji era (first 10 years) banzuke: https://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/1015954

-> the DB has the first Meiji era November basho as still in the Keio era, which ended in October http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=186811&l=j (similar for Tenmei, Bunsei, Kaei)

The compilation lacks the Meiji 5 (1872) and the Meiji 10 Haru basho, but includes a Meiji 8 Fuyu December basho, which is not in the DB and not in the wikipedia list of honbasho, with also Osaka and Kyoto sumo honbasho. (The Meiji 8 December basho banzuke is in the DB as Meiji 9 January, same for Meiji 9/10, maybe the weather was too bad in December? )

The last is Meiji 10 Fuyu 1877.12  - the DB has it marked as a 2nd Haru basho of that year in the selection list http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=187712

All these still have no juryo division, first at the Hatsu basho 1888 the top 10 ranks of makushita nidanme were printed bigger, to separate the officially called jumaime from the rest of makushita. A pay of 10ryo (juryo) for those top makushita was introduced in a span from bakumatsu till early Meiji - in the Edo period there only were plain makushita nimaime all along, the DB should rather list them all as makushita till 1887. From the 1889 May basho on, the juryo rikishi were listed like now with "maegashira" 前頭 printed above, till then like all below they only had a 同.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 17:50, Akinomaki said:

Bunsei 8 it gets even shorter: maegashira only till 4, nidanme till 11.

千年山 only for this Natsu basho is listed with the kanji 千歳山 - same Hirosaki-han shusshin, same first name - and most of all same reading.

at the Natsu basho definitely more looks like 瀇, also more this at the Haru basho, where he is nidanme 11e, and at the Fuyu basho. The DB lists the new form 鉱 of the kanji - I doubt it was ever like this on the banzuke. At the Bunsei 8 Natsu basho, he's clearly readable as 鑛.

23 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

It looks very likely that this Arashio 荒潮 and this Arashio 荒汐 are the same

Both are Daijiro from Edo.

Bunsei 8 is odd because with the year, it is listed as May, but the date with the location gives June 3rd as the event completion〆start - this way it is still listed, now we have the 〆 followed by "for 15 days". This last Natsu basho, maybe something like the jun-honbasho in the Showa era, has not even all of makuuchi from at least the top 10 makushita nidanme of the adjacent basho. I wonder if those who were (banzuke technical) ozeki just at these events, are recorded as ozeki by the NSK.

While checking the banzuke, I found an excellent kanji dictionary site: https://kanji.jitenon.jp/ - still, many characters remained unreadable for me. Often the kanji is better to read on another banzuke - and I still have to check the torikumi for the 3 Natsu basho.

文政8春   1825 01   文政8夏   1825 5/6   文政8冬   1825 10
西   西   西
柏戸 大関 四賀峰   荒馬 大関 千年川   源氏山 大関 四賀峰
源氏山 関脇 千年川   大山 関脇 三ツヶ関   小柳 関脇 鉄生山
小柳 小結 稲妻   玉川 小結   荒馬 小結 稲妻
荒馬 前1 高砂   四角山 前1 大空   東関 前1 高砂
大山 前2 桟シ   出来山 前2 由良ノ海   大山 前2 桟シ
東関 前3 箕島   山登崎 前3 荒滝   前3 緋縅
前4 戸田川   常盤戸 前4 星兜   三ツヶ関 前4 戸田川
玉川 前5 越ノ戸           越ヶ浜 前5 箕島
三ツヶ関 前6 越ノ海           温海嶽 前6 黒柳
越ヶ浜 前7 黒柳           玉川 前7 越ノ海
温海嶽 前8 緋縅           外ヶ浜 前8

西   西   西
外ヶ浜 十1 松島 ? 鳴尾泻 十1 琴ノ浦   鳥井崎 十1 大空
鳥井崎 十2   由良湊 十2 綾川 糸+麦 荒汐 十2 出来山
荒汐 十3 大空   錦岩 十3 笘の海   由良ノ海 十3 御所島
小町川 十4 出来山   岩井川 十4 源氏川   荒滝 十4 松島
由良ノ海 十5 御所島   湊岩 十5   照羽 十5 真力
照羽 十6 琴ノ浦   乱獅子 十6 極壑 ? 大江山 十6 四角山
大江山 十7 沢風   伊勢戸 十7 岩井山   星兜 十7 琴ノ浦
武蔵潟 十8 真力   礒ノ石 十8 潮風   大滝 十8 沢風
大滝 十9 山登崎 ? 荒蔺埼 十9 荒熊   大井潟 十9 小松山
        鶁ヶ峯 十10 鴨川        
        釣り合 十11 伊勢ヵ森        
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

the Bavarian state library has several compilations together, 9 of 12 banzuke each with torikumi, all banzuke from 1801 till 1853, including 3 Natsu basho banzuke not in the DB (nor in wikipedia) - for Bunsei 4 June, 5 July and 8 May/June 3.

The win/loss matrix links in the DB for all those basho are dead end - error 404 - they start just with the next basho in 1854.

The Bunsei 4 Natsu basho was held at the grounds of the Seisho temple 青松寺, which is in Minato ward.

Bunsei 5 was actually an Aki basho - the torikumi pages list those season basho names, which are not on the banzuke itself.

The torikumi pages are partly better to read than the banzuke, partly scribbled and not with the same characters, and the contents are hard to understand.

On 29/06/2020 at 17:50, Akinomaki said:

And only on the banzuke, in the torikumi he is 千年山 again.

Apparently on a basho day, there were the prior torikumi, with half of the rikishi till an ozeki bout, and then the nakairi-go torikumi - which are now the makuuchi torikumi, with the other half of the rikishi, also till an ozeki bout, both parts have about 28/29 bouts - and that are only those listed, there likely were more on the day. But even later pairings may include an opponent not to be found in the banzuke ranks - 三国山 and possibly 狐縄 make a guest appearance at the basho. On the other hand, m3w頂 and m5e相引 are not in the day. Some ね~~-tama is maybe for 璞 Aratama.

Here is what I could make of day 1, the last 8 nakairi bouts first, then the last 8 first half bouts

Day 1 Natsu 1821  
  W L  
ow 山の井 三国山 bg
se 源氏山 志津嶽 j5w
kw 佐渡ヶ嶽 文字関 j6e
m1w 小野山 荒海 j7e
m2w 桟シ 朝ノ雪 j4e
m4w 常山 越ノ川 j8e
m4e 鳥井崎 鶴ヶ峰 j10w
j1w 奈須車 狐縄            bg
  first half    
oe 柏戸 武蔵潟 j2w
sw 音羽山 宮戸川 j5e
ke 玉川 熊ヶ嶽 j9w
j6w 滝ノ川 千年山 m1e
m2e 四ツ車 鷲ノ尾 j11w
j7w 星兜 璞                 m3e
j10e 大滝 松島 m5w
j4w 平滝 j1e
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can see that 璞 is written as あら玉 (with あ here being the hentaigana 阿). I couldn't follow where the other torikumi are found.

Edit: I see that the other half of the torikumi is on the following page. Corrections would be:

源氏山 : 志津ヶたけ
鳥井崎 : 鶴ヶ峰
奈須車 : 狐縄

Edited by Kamitsuumi
  • Thanks 1

Well, you learn something every day!

10 hours ago, Kamitsuumi said:

... with あ here being the hentaigana 阿 ...

I don't read Japanese, but I know about hiragana and katakana. I also have a fairly ignorant gaijin notion of 'hentai', so I did a proper double-take when I saw this, wondering "does that have its own characters?"!

Thankfully, Google put me straight...

Posted (edited)

On we go with the phantom Natsu basho of 1821 (Bunsei 4 June), in for the phantom Natsu basho of 2020.

If you want to look at the source

the Bavarian state library has several compilations together, 9 of 12 banzuke each with torikumi, all banzuke from 1801 till 1853, including 3 Natsu basho banzuke not in the DB (nor in wikipedia) - for Bunsei 4 June, 5 July and 8 May/June 3. Plus the selection of 24 older banzuke, the same as the Waseda archive. Available for download https://eastasia.digital-collections.de/search?q=三河屋 治右衛門&searchType=author&fq=all_titles_combi_lang:Sumō kigen (相撲起顯) AND all_languages:ja&locale=en

I use the promptly available .pdf file for an overview and the .jpg pages to check: you have to order them and get links to 4 zip files by mail after a few days - 2 in my case. The pdf has one library page in front, so the page numbers are 1 higher. I give the page numbers from the jpg file names.

Japanese books are read back to front, the Bunsei 4 June banzuke is on page 394, the Natsu basho torikumi are for days 1-5 first half - prior bouts 前勝負 on page 389, 2nd half - nakairi-go 中入後 on page 388, days 6-10 first half p. 387, 2nd half p.386

The banzuke is with reduced numbers: makuuchi has 16 members instead of about 18 regularly that year, makushita nidanme 28 instead of 48 rikishi, sandanme goes till rank 18 (Haru till 23), jonidan till 22 (25), jonokuchi till 17 (23). Juryo doesn't exist yet, but I keep the j for the nidanme ranks, like in the DB.

Day 1 had the west ozeki in the last bout, the east ozeki in the last bout of the 1st half, day 2 it is the other way round, similar to now. The last 3 bouts alternated w-e-w/e-w-e for the sanyaku ranks. So far we had an east vs. a west rikishi in each bout, let's see what patterns of torikumi making emerge later on. Day 1 had the higher ranked rikishi all win in the 2nd half, in the first half the sanyaku all won, but below that 4 of 5 bouts the higher ranked lost.

Day 2 Itadaki 頂 joined the basho, first half and 2nd half makuuchi rikishi alternated the next day, some nidanme were in the same half both days. Again the higher ranked all won in the nakairi-go bouts and the sanyaku in the first half, only 2 of 5 maegashira lost their bouts there this day: j6w Takinokawa managed to win both days to a makuuchi.

day 2 - 2nd half last 8 bouts

W L  
oe 柏戸 j4w
sw 音羽山 滝ノ音 bg
ke 玉川 志津嶽 j5w
m1e 千年山 熊ヶ嶽 j9w
m2e 四ツ車 星兜 j7w
m3w 平滝 j1e
m5w 松島 越ノ川 j8e
j2e 外ヶ浜 鶴ヶ峰 j10w
  first half    
ow 山の井 宮戸川 j5e
se 源氏山 武蔵潟 j2w
kw 佐渡ヶ嶽 三国山 bg
m1w 小野山 朝ノ雪 j4e
j6e 文字関 桟シ m2w
m3e 鷲ノ尾 j11w
j6w 滝ノ川 鳥井崎 m4e
m4w 常山 荒海 j7e
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Day 3 sees the first time that makuuchi rikishi meet, the first loss by a sanyaku, and the first loss to a lower ranked rikishi in the 2nd half, by Takinokawa, who keeps to be unique this basho. Since they were easy to read, I give the first 10 bouts. I use bg as banzuke guest - they have their proper east and west affiliation.

Day 3      
  W L    
ow 山の井 m3e  
se 源氏山 m3w  
kw 佐渡ヶ嶽 朝ノ雪 j4e  
m2w 桟シ 外ヶ浜 j2e  
j1e 平滝 荒汐 j3w  
j4w 荒海 j7e  
j10e 大滝 滝ノ川 j6w  
j6e 文字関 熊ヶ嶽 j9w  
j12w 吉見川 常盤戸 sd1e  
j14e 初世川 雪ノ浦 sdw8 引分
  first half      
oe 柏戸 常山 m4w  
m1e 千年山 音羽山 sw  
ke 玉川 小野山 m1w  
m2e 四ツ車 松島 m5w  
m4e 鳥井崎 奈須車 j1w  
j2w 武蔵潟 宮戸川 j5e  
j7w 星兜 狐縄 bge  
j9w 綾浪 越ノ川 j8e  
j10w 鶴ヶ峰 七十山 j13e  
j12e 駒畱 清見川 sdw2  

Day 4 has the first bout with 2 sanyaku.

Day 4    
  W L  
oe 柏戸 佐渡ヶ嶽 kw
  m2w 桟シ 源氏山 se
ke 玉川 常山 m4w
j1w 奈須車 外ヶ浜 j2e
j6w 滝ノ川 平滝 j1e
j3e 秀ノ川 武蔵潟 j2w
j5e 宮戸川 志津嶽 j5w
j4w 文字関 j6e
j10w 鶴ヶ峰 常盤戸 sd1e
bge 狐縄 岩滝 j14w
  first half    
ow 山の井 四ツ車 m2e
sw 音羽山 鳥井崎 m4e
m5w 松島 千年山 m1e
m3e 小野山 m1w
m3w 三国山 bge
j10e 大滝 荒汐 j3w
j7e 荒海 熊ヶ嶽 j9w
j11w 鷲ノ尾 越ノ川 j8e
j12w 吉見川 駒畱 j12e
j14e 初世川 j13w
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Day 5 first half has notes for 3 bouts in a row, for which I can't quite recognize the type of draw - a plain draw is usually easy to spot, a 引分, like on day 3. Here there is a more complex mix of characters -  2 itamiwake 痛み分け in a row seem unlikely, the last part looks a bit like ri り, so I will take that as 預かりfor Torimisaki and Sotogahama, the most complex group for Aratama looks like with wake分け in the end, I make that an itamiwake. All not clearly visible as hikiwake, I'll mark with a △.

On 14/05/2014 at 19:54, Asashosakari said:

azukari = bout was concluded normally, but the outcome was considered too close to call (by the shimpan)

hikiwake = bout was ended as a draw because it went on too long and the rikishi were too exhausted to continue

itamiwake = one or both rikishi got injured in the bout and were unable to continue (typically meaning an inability to take part in a scheduled torinaoshi)

There was one more type of draw, actually: mushōbu = bout was concluded normally, but the outcome was considered too close to call by the gyoji and he elected to not render a decision. (It's marked as "o" on the DB, e.g. here.) That practice was abolished in the 1860s in the Tokyo organization and afterwards "too close to call" decisions were limited to being made by the shimpan only, i.e. as an overrule on the gyoji's decision. That, in turn, became obsolete when the possibility of a torinaoshi was introduced (in 1928-ish, IIRC).

As for the others, hikiwake has been obsoleted by the practice of interrupting a long bout for a mizu-iri break to be followed by either continuation or restart of the bout, and the itamiwake scenario now simply results in a fusenpai loss for the rikishi who is unable to compete in the rematch.

I'm not sure if there was ever actually an itamiwake case where both rikishi were too injured to continue.

I (in vain) checked the sumo daijiten for maybe more hints - but it gives a few updates to the above.

The torinaoshi system was introduced November 1925, the so far hikiwake and azukari were abolished, itamiwake remained.

A too long bout undecided after 2 mizuiri is stopped and a torinaoshi after 2 bouts is ordered. If that also remains undecided, now a hikiwake occurs, the gyoji announces that both are tired, thus a draw: 双方とも取り疲れましたるゆえ引き分け預かりおきます(with that, you find the proper Tsubota page) .

My daijiten at 2 places gives 2 different accounts of what happened from Natsu 1928 on (maybe 1 is corrected in the new edition): at "hikiwake" it says in the above case a torinaoshi the next day was ordered, at "torinaoshi", that this was introduced in 1925 and torinaoshi after 2 bouts was discontinued in 1928 - from then on (till when?) a bout would continue unlimited.

So rule-wise, both itamiwake and hikiwake are still possible.

Azukari was a quite complex thing, with 2 kinds: decided on the spot and kyokai-sabaki - a decision by an investigation panel in a conference later.

From Meiji onward it had 3 types.

1. like hikiwake, both had been equally strong: a maru-azukari
  2. a hidden winner: the better one got a maruboshi, that would be treated like a win banzuke-wise and in terms of mochi-kyukin, the other a hanboshi, which was treated neutral, as no loss - both were shown as △ in the results.
  3. dohyo-azukari: a monoi-ii due to the dohyo appearance (same time etc.) or a gyoji-sashichigae, with a bunch of flowers as consolation to the loser. In the results, win and loss stand.

With the right combination of search words, I found a page that lists it: https://blog.goo.ne.jp/fukuchin1122/e/8ace71494b8c1c66b1662380b5c1a8a1

Edited by Akinomaki

Posted (edited)

Day 5 is really complicated. Not just these odd draws - I have a torikumi that violates the rules: in the 1st half, after a bout with a j12 as the highest, one with a j13 as the highest - against banzuke order. One in it is a nuisance since day 1, Sazanami. On day 1 it looks like he appears in 2 bouts in a row. And nobody else looks like j12e Komadome 駒畱.

Day 5      
  W L    
ow 山の井 千年山 m1e  
se 源氏山 小野山 m1w  
m3e 佐渡ヶ嶽 kw
m4e 鳥井崎 桟シ m2w
j2e 外ヶ浜 荒汐 j3w
j2w 武蔵潟 荒海 j7e  
bge 狐縄 j4w  
j10w 鶴ヶ峰 大滝 j10e  
j11w 鷲ノ尾 初世川 j14e  
j12w 吉見川 矤力木 sd4e  
  first half      
oe 柏戸 m3w  
m2e 四ツ車 音羽山 sw
ke 玉川 松島 m5w  
m4w 常山 平滝 j1e  
j1w 奈須車 宮戸川 j5e  
j7w 星兜 秀ノ川 j3e  
bge 滝ノ音 熊ヶ嶽 j9w  
j6w 滝ノ川 文字関 j6e  
j13e 七十山 j13w  
j12e 駒畱 岩滝 j14w  
Edited by Akinomaki

With the corrections, I'll have a retry at the banzuke, including the domains at which the rikishi were affiliated. Since east and west rikishi don't fight another, all from one domain are on the same side, except Edo. The banzuke makers don't care much how they write the kanji, the shikona and the domain names may be written with different characters at another occasion. Chitoseyama 千歳山->千年山 and Arashio 荒潮->荒汐 get simpler versions in the torikumi, Aratama and Sazanami get written in kana there. The 初 of 初世川 is written衤+力.

On 03/07/2020 at 18:14, Akinomaki said:

I have a torikumi that violates the rules: in the 1st half, after a bout with a j12 as the highest, one with a j13 as the highest - against banzuke order. One in it is a nuisance since day 1, sd7w Sazanami さゞ浪 from Sendai-han. On day 1 it looks like he appears in 2 bouts in a row - nobody on the banzuke looks similar to him, so I'm completely at a loss.

The day 1 problem is solved, j13w 漣 (written there さゞ浪) Sazanami from Himeji-han is followed by sd7w Sasanami さゝ浪 from Sendai-han - Sendai on the banzuke is written 仙䑓 in full - but the new Sazanami doesn't solve the banzuke order problem.

other domains on the west

Tottori-han (Inaba 因幡) 因刕 - written with a variation of 因: 冂+太

Morioka-han - Takinokawa was from what is now Niigata. It happened that rikishi were traded between domains, maybe that or what looks like モリ長 is a different domain.

Akita-han

Hitachi contained several han 常陸国#江戸時代の藩

Hachinohe-han

on the east

Hirosaki-han

Utsunomiya-han (Shimotsuke 下野)

Hirado-han

In makuuchi Edo is 2-2 east-west, ms 9-8, sd 16-14 - Tokyo is slightly more on the east. Jonidan and jonokuchi are all from Edo.

With a sandanme draft (in italics those who need more time)

文政4夏 幕内 182106  
西
弘前 柏戸 大関 山の井 因刕
弘前 源氏山 関脇 音羽山 江戸
江戸 玉川 小結 佐渡ヶ嶽 因刕
弘前 千歳山 前1 小野山 盛岡
下野 四ツ車 前2 桟シ 江戸
弘前 前3 盛岡
弘前 鳥井崎 前4 常山 秋田
江戸 相引 前5 松島 仙䑓

幕下二段目      
弘前 平滝 十1 奈須車 江戸
下野 外ヶ浜 十2 武蔵潟 江戸
江戸 秀ノ川 十3 荒潮 江戸
平戸 朝ノ雪 十4 江戸
江戸 宮戸川 十5 志津嶽 因刕
江戸 文字関 十6 滝ノ川 盛岡
江戸 荒海 十7 星兜 江戸
江戸 越ノ川 十8 ヒタチ
弘前 綾浪 十9 熊ヶ嶽 江戸
弘前 大滝 十10 鶴ヶ峰 八戸
江戸 森ヶ 十11 鷲ノ尾 江戸
江戸 十12 吉見 江戸
江戸 十山 十13 ヒメジ
江戸 初世川 十14 岩滝 仙台

江戸 常盤戸 三1 雲竜 江戸
平戸 黒柳 三2 清見川 仙台
江戸 三3 枩山 江戸
江戸 矤力木 三4 佑所 江戸
江戸 勇駒 三5 岡今八 江戸
江戸 勇木戸 三6 舞鶴 江戸
江戸 若ノ木 三7 さゝ浪 仙台
江戸 小町川 三8 雪ノ 盛岡
江戸 三9 犬䃔 江戸
江戸 矢舛 三10 雪海 江戸
江戸 綾川 三11 飛竜 江戸
江戸 訔舛 三12 井筒 江戸
江戸 吉田川 三13 小枩山 江戸
江戸 山風 三14 生田川 江戸
江戸 山震 三15 江戸
平戸 出舟川 三16 かちてあ 仙台
江戸 秋田川 三17 カ成川 江戸
江戸 友ノ戸 三18 千年の方 江戸

江戸   jd、jk   江戸

A try of a romaji version - those in the DB are mostly confirmed, some may be -gawa instead of -kawa or v.v., or the like - s for z, j for sh. Some, like 七十山, may have a completely different reading than Nanajuyama, be it simply Shichijuyama, Nantozan or whatever. 

Han East Rank West Han
Hirosaki Kashiwado o Yamanoi Tottori
Hirosaki Genjiyama s Otowayama Edo
Edo Tamagawa k Sadogatake Tottori
Hirosaki Chitoseyama m1 Onoyama Morioka
Shimotsuke Yotsuguruma m2 Kakehashi Edo
Hirosaki Aratama m3 Itadaki Morioka
Hirosaki Toriizaki m4 Tsuneyama Akita
Edo Aibiki m5 Matsushima Sendai
nidanme        
Hirosaki Hirataki j1 Nasuguruma Edo
Shimotsuke Sotogahama j2 Musashigata Edo
Edo Hidenokawa j3 Arashio Edo
Hirano Asanoyuki j4 Aragane Edo
Edo Miyatogawa j5 Shizugatake Tottori
Edo Monjiseki j6 Takinokawa Morioka
Edo Araumi j7 Hoshikabuto Edo
Edo Koshinogawa j8 Makinoshima Hitachi
Hirosaki Ayanami j9 Kumagatake Edo
Hirosaki Otaki j10 Tsurugamine Hachinohe
Edo Morigaseki j11 Washinoo Edo
Edo Komadome j12 Yoshimigawa Edo
Edo Nanajuyama j13 Sazanami Himeji
Edo Hatsusegawa j14 Iwataki Sendai
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kamitsuumi said:

I found this banzuke, which I largely agree with. http://sirosita.web.fc2.com/1821-06.html

Thanks, if Google would show that in the normal search with the headline 文政四年夏場所, I would have saved much time. The advanced exact search shows it.

2 漣 is the only unsatisfying bit I spot so far.

The other 2 basho are there as well, 1822-07 and 1825-06.

Edited by Akinomaki

19 hours ago, Kamitsuumi said:

I found this banzuke, which I largely agree with. http://sirosita.web.fc2.com/1821-06.html

The site presently has complete banzuke and torikumi from the 1801-1830 basho. It uses the same collections for 1801-1853, in a better scan by the National Institute of Japanese Literature https://kotenseki.nijl.ac.jp/biblio/100163262/viewer, which can only be viewed in the browser, but has a load of features to get a better look at the pages (the banzuke is in better resolution from the Bavarian state library: jonokuchi is better to read). The Bunsei 4 Natsu basho banzuke is on the left of page set 141, torikumi on 144 and 145. There are definitely 2 Sazanami in a row on day 1, it is ゞ for both and not ゝfor the 2nd - on the banzuke they are written differently, one in 1 kanji 漣, one in kana and a kanji part さゞ浪 - rather Sasanami though withゝ, but in the torikumi they are identical as さゞ浪, no first name marker added like on the site. The memo at the site mentions the nowadays wrong order of torikumi - this was quite common till later in the Meiji era, but it doesn't comment on rikishi with the same shikona on one banzuke.

Edited by Akinomaki