Sato Ms9 Kizenryu

Shosei Ms10 Keitenkai

Hishofuji Ms11 Sakamoto

Kansei Ms12 Tochinobori

Chiyonoumi Ms13 Ryuden

Akinokawa Ms14 Tokushinho

Nionoumi Ms15 Takaryu

• Like 4

Congrats to M1E Kotoyuki, cant wait for Hakuho to get that BARK. (HHHHHHUUUUUUU!)

Go Ichinojo. I'm still with you. Lets get 10 wins my friend.

• Like 6

Not surprised to see Kotoyuki get the top spot in his pack even if I had him at M2E on my GTB entry due to strict application of rules. Also not surprised by Kitataiki not changing rank even though he could have been moved down given that they promoted Akiseyama. I suspect if they decided not to demote Osunaarashi, he would have been ranked above Kitataiki (although as a contrary-to-fact hypothetical, I realize it's completely meaningless to make such an assertion).

Toyohibiki (8-7) and Hidenoumi (11-4) both going 5,5 ranks up makes very much sense...

Makushita-joi should be fun, many promising young guys.

Damn they punished Osunaarashi. Poor guy.

Juryo might as well be M17-M26 with all of the names there.

Edited by rzombie1988
  • Like 2

Seems like intense times at Oitekaze-beya. Endo of course goes down but Daieisho goes back up and Daishomaru goes up for his first time! On top of that Tsurugisho (nee Abiko) is within four ranks of Endo. On his web page his stated goal is to surpass Endo... I wonder if he thought it might be like this. (all the other rikishi only seem to be allowed to have a goal of 'sekitori'...) He's also recently changed his favorite food from marshmallows to alcohol and sweets - maybe a sekitori luxury?

http://oitekaze.com/aviko.html

Furthermore, there is Daishoho, Sakamoto, and Iwasaki lurking not too far off in Makushita...

Edited by Sumozumo

Well, his path back up to Makuuchi is at least 8-7 without any banzuke luck, and he is in position to strike back into mid-maegashira with a Yusho

• Like 1

Well, his path back up to Makuuchi is at least 8-7 without any banzuke luck, and he is in position to strike back into mid-maegashira with a Yusho

Osuna will be back in Makuuchi in May, but Endo will probably stay in Juryo for some more bashos.

• Like 1

Osuna will be back in Makuuchi in May, but Endo will probably stay in Juryo for some more bashos.

I wish more injured rikishi (Endo?) would take a basho or two off to recover and enjoy the trip back up from Juryo as final rehab.

I wish more injured rikishi (Endo?) would take a basho or two off to recover and enjoy the trip back up from Juryo as final rehab.

Endo suffered a very serious injury--ruptured anterior cruciate ligaments, I believe to his left knee. According the the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, surgery is usually indicated when such an injury occurs. There are exceptions, including:

"Partial tears and no instability symptoms".

"Complete tears and no symptoms of knee instability during low-demand sports who are willing to give up high-demand sports."

"Those who do light manual work or live sedentary lifestyles."

Sumo is an extremely high-demand sport, rikishis certainly do much more than "light manual work", and his knee does appear to be unstable, no matter to what degree the ligament was torn. In Endo's case, the only logical choice would be surgery. I would assume that his advisors would have opted to have it done in the hope of restoring his knee to normal function. Would it have succeeded, considering the extremely severe demands made on it ? Possibly, possibly not, but it seemed to be a chance well worth taking. However, they chose to avoid surgery with a long recovery period and did nothing at all. As a result, Endo is now in the middle of Juryo competing with what appears to be a permanently weakened knee. I wonder if taking a basho or two off will do anything to strengthen it. The only certain result would be to drop him well into the makushita ranks. Without a healthy and stable knee, it would be questionable to me if he could ever return from there to juryo, let alone makunouchi.

Why people would make such a terrible decision with regard to the health of a rikishi, especially one who at one time had so much promise, is beyond me. :-(

• Like 2

Why people would make such a terrible decision with regard to the health of a rikishi, especially one who at one time had so much promise, is beyond me. :-(

Maybe because they have much more information on the exact nature of the injury and its potential for rehab remediation than you do.
  • Like 3

Maybe because they have much more information on the exact nature of the injury and its potential for rehab remediation than you do.

Time will tell. Now he is in Juryo, let's see if he can make a return.

In fact, he was over-expected. In my opinion, he is just an average rank-and-file rikishi, even without injury.

• Like 2

Those people certainly have much more specific formation on the injury than I do. I was led to believe that he tore his anterior cruciate ligament and if he did, that the accepted treatment for an athlete undergoing severe stress to that ligament is surgery. It's possible their information led them to believe that a more non-invasive course of treatment avoiding a lengthy recovery period should have been attempted. It apparently has been.

But considering that the injury occurred almost a year ago, that his knee continues to give him problems, and that he's now ranked at juryo #6, it seems that any therapy he has received hasn't worked very well, at least so far.

Those people certainly have much more specific formation on the injury than I do. I was led to believe that he tore his anterior cruciate ligament and if he did, that the accepted treatment for an athlete undergoing severe stress to that ligament is surgery. It's possible their information led them to believe that a more non-invasive course of treatment avoiding a lengthy recovery period should have been attempted. It apparently has been.

But considering that the injury occurred almost a year ago, that his knee continues to give him problems, and that he's now ranked at juryo #6, it seems that any therapy he has received hasn't worked very well, at least so far.

Commentators, or perhaps a forum member, I don't remember exactly, said during the last basho that Endo's oyakata was 'begging' him to take time off, but Endo himself wouldn't hear of it. Perhaps it's true.

Sponsors ...

Edited by egparis18

Commentators, or perhaps a forum member, I don't remember exactly, said during the last basho that Endo's oyakata was 'begging' him to take time off, but Endo himself wouldn't hear of it. Perhaps it's true.

Sponsors ...

Different, new injury.

Well I was certainly surprised by some of the results of the banzuke, but now comes the more interesting part to see how the basho actually goes. I know I won't be able to watch live much since I've started working, and I work some LONG hours too.

When I saw that we was J1, I felt bad for him but figured he should go 12-3 in that spot. Then I looked at who else was there and I agree with you in that it could me M17-M26. I also read a post that was saying he really isn't fit for this basho an should be resting but he doesn't want to drop to makushita. He did do 200 shiko the other day so who knows. I still this, even with the strength in Juryo right now that a healthy Osunaarashi should get his first Juryo yusho.

Congrats to M1E Kotoyuki, cant wait for Hakuho to get that BARK. (HHHHHHUUUUUUU!)

Yup....Been waiting for that for a while!

Visual banzuke. No idea what the Japanese name is.

https://twitter.com/kokugikans/status/707136469513543680

They actually sell those at the basho. I have a couple of 'em.

This is exactly what the tweet is saying, it's from the Kokugikan Shop after all. The Japanese name also is in the tweet: 絵番付 or ebanzuke in Romaji.

• Like 1

going to be a humbling experience I expect.

I would be surprised if he manages 7 wins

Do you think Onosho is tired of "I can't believe you're here!" jokes from his English-speaking friends?

I do foresee some challenging matches for Osunaarashi in juryo, but I'm hoping that he's recovered enough, and that his fighting spirit is such that he goes through these guys like a wood-chipper. Wishful thinking? Quite possibly. Would that be fun to watch? Definitely.