Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 15 results, yusho and sansho

Miyabiyama won against Asasekiryu with yorikiri and Toyozakura tsukiotoshi'd Shimotori to ensure a jun-yusho and possibly a place in a yusho playoff. But Asashoryu won against the third Ozeki in a row beating Kaio with yorikiri and securing his fourth consecutive yusho. Hakuho won against Tochiazuma to tie fourth place at 11-4 with Kaio, Asasekiryu and Tosanoumi. Other rikishi in double digits with 10-5 were Chiyotaikai, Tochiazuma and Futeno.

A bit surprisingly with so many good records only one sansho was awarded, the kanto-sho for Makuuchi returnee Toyozakura who finished with the 12-3 jun-yusho. Maybe the high number of double digit records diluted the value, but I think some more sansho would have been justified, for example a gino-sho for Hakuho a second kanto-sho for Miyabiyama.

Out of the four main contenders for the three free Sanyaku spots only Kyokutenho and Miyabiyama won, while Kokkai and Shimotori lost, so Miyabiyama probably will be Sekiwake West and Kyokutenho Komusubi East next basho. Hakuho won, and I think it is anybody's guess if Kokkai, Shimotori or Hakuho will be Komusubi West next basho. Kotomitsuki won to finish 7-8 which still could mean a fall to M2e; or he could get the Komusubi West spot which I think is pretty unlikely.

Only two demotions from Makuuchi to Juryo were really clear-cut before Senshuraku with Wakatoba and Harunoyama. No less than four rikishi were bordering on demotion and could have helped their fate with win on Senshuraku, but all of Tokitenku, Toki, Kasugao and Kinakiyama lost today. Now the last in line of the six is Toki with a 6-9 from Ms16, which probably is bad enough to merit a sixth demotion and get Kitazakura promoted with 11-4 from J8. The five promotions ahead of Kitazakura are very clear with Tamakasuga, Roho, Takanotsuru, Kotooshu and Toyonoshima.

Kotooshu beat Kitazakura in the regular Senshuraku schedule to avoid a playoff and take the Juryo yusho with 13-2. Jun-yusho goes to Tamakasuga, Toyonoshima and Kitazakura with 11-4 with Roho and Kotoshogiku finishing 10-5. Wakanoyama is never giving up as usual, improving from 3-8 to 7-8 and staying in high Juryo. Wakakosho, Ichinotani and Oikari should be the three demotions to Makushita this basho.

--

Doitsuyama

Day 15

Juryo

J12e   Ichinotani (5-10)   tsukiotoshi    Ms2w   Takamifuji (1-6)
J9e    Ama (9-6)           yorikiri       J11w   Sumanofuji (7-8)
J11e   Bushuyama (8-7)     uwatenage      J7w    Ushiomaru (7-8)
J7e    Kasuganishiki (8-7) oshitaoshi     J14e   Daishodai (8-7)
J6w    Chiyotenzan (5-10)  yorikiri       J14w   Wakakosho (6-9)
J6e    Hagiwara (8-7)      abisetaoshi    J13w   Kotonomine (7-8)
J9w    Juzan (7-8)         yorikiri       J4w    Kobo (5-10)
J4e    Toyonoshima (11-4)  yorikiri       J13e   Kotoshogiku (10-5)
J10w   Oikari (3-12)       oshidashi      J3w    Asanowaka (5-10)
J3e    Kotooshu (13-2)     yorikiri       J8w    Kitazakura (11-4)
J2w    Takanotsuru (9-6)   hikiotoshi     J12w   Katayama (8-7)
J2e    Wakanoyama (7-8)    tsukiotoshi    J10e   Kaido (6-9)
J1w    Tamakasuga (11-4)   yorikiri       J8e    Gojoro (7-8)
J1e    Roho (10-5)         shitatenage    J5e    Yotsukasa (7-8)

Makuuchi

M16e   Harunoyama (3-12)   okuridashi     J5w    Hamanishiki (5-10)
M13w   Takanowaka (8-7)    yorikiri       M13e   Kasugao (4-8-3)
M14w   Otsukasa (8-7)      yorikiri       M12w   Kinkaiyama (4-11)
M12e   Buyuzan (8-7)       oshitaoshi     M10e   Hayateumi (7-8)
M9w    Tochisakae (6-9)    okuridashi     M16w   Toki (6-9)
M8w    Kaiho (7-8)         tsukiotoshi    M17e   Tokitenku (6-9)
M7e    Miyabiyama (12-3)   yorikiri       M10w   Asasekiryu (11-4)
M15w   Futeno (10-5)       yorikiri       M6w    Tochinonada (9-6)
M11e   Tosanoumi (11-4)    tsukiotoshi    M5w    Kakizoe (7-8)
M14e   Toyozakura (12-3)   tsukiotoshi    M4e    Shimotori (9-6)
M3e    Kotoryu (4-11)      tsukidashi     M15e   Wakatoba (3-12)

M11w   Jumonji (8-7)       oshidashi      M2w    Kotonowaka (3-12)
M7w    Takamisakari (8-7)  uwatedashinage M2e    Kokkai (8-7)
M1w    Iwakiyama (7-8)     yorikiri       M6e    Tokitsuumi (6-9)
M1e    Kyokutenho (8-7)    uwatenage      M5e    Takekaze (6-9)
K1w    Tamanoshima (6-9)   sukuinage      M3w    Kyokushuzan (3-12)
K1e    Kotomitsuki (7-8)   oshidashi      M4w    Dejima (7-8)
M8e    Hakuho (11-4)       hatakikomi     S2w    Tochiazuma (10-5)
S1w    Hokutoriki (3-12)   oshidashi      S1e    Wakanosato (8-7)
O1w    Chiyotaikai (10-5)  fusen          O2e    Musoyama (8-7)
Y1e    Asashoryu (13-2)    yorikiri       O1e    Kaio (11-4)

List of Yusho:

Makuuchi:  Asashoryu (8th)
Juryo:     Kotooshu
Makushita: Toyonokuni
Sandanme:  Kakuryu
Jonidan:   Shiraishi
Jonokuchi: Baruto

List of Sansho:

Shukun-sho: none
Kanto-sho:  Toyozakura (1st)
Gino-sho:   none

Edited by Doitsuyama

Only two demotions from Makuuchi to Juryo were really clear-cut before Senshuraku with Wakatoba and Harunoyama. No less than four rikishi were bordering on demotion and could have helped their fate with win on Senshuraku, but all of Tokitenku, Toki, Kasugao and Kinakiyama lost today. Now the last in line of the six is Toki with a 6-9 from Ms16, which probably is bad enough to merit a sixth demotion and get Kitazakura promoted with 11-4 from J8. The five promotions ahead of Kitazakura are very clear with Tamakasuga, Roho, Takanotsuru, Kotooshu and Toyonoshima.

Several big disappointments in the group of demotees.

Kinkaiyama looked OK during the first week and I never thought he was in any danger of demotion until I realized on senshuraku that he was heading for juryo. Totally fell apart in the second week.

Toki improved his figures in the end and won't be demoted very far, but of course his demotion was a huge disappointment. Toki has just turned 30 and shouldn't be ready for intai yet. I hope he only stays one basho in juryo.

Kasugao never got a fair chance to show his stuff, and has to start over in juryo again.

I had predicted makekoshi for Tokitenku, so perhaps not so much of a disappointment. Juryo 10 to makuuchi is a big step. (Because he was a somewhat unknown factor, I still chose him in several of the games. Stupid me.) Still, I thought his sumo was rather lacklustre and passive most of the time, and that I didn't expect.

On a more positive note, I have great hopes for at least two of the three makuuchi rookies. Kotooshu looks to me like the most promising new rikishi at present, together with Hakuho. Toyonoshima should establish himself as the new Aminishiki or Mainoumi. Or perhaps he resembles Akinoshima most. I really like to watch his bouts - it feels like he is fighting against the odds each time, and more than once he has won bouts I thought he had lost. I am not yet convinced from what I have seen of Roho. The three makuuchi returnees will fight to stay in makuuchi as usual, and will be demoted right away or stay a basho or two. Nice that old Tamakasuga did so well - with 11-4 he will get a fairly large cushion before it's back to juryo again.

Comments;

Asashoryu; generally good content sumo. His consistency is quite admirable compared to many other yokozunas. I did not watch many TakanohanaII bouts but I wonder he is performing like or better than TakanohanaII(stability of sumo wise)? Yes it sure is premature but he is so far at the level of Kitanoumi or even better as he doesn't fail to do-deligence at each bout(he rarely uses silly pull or force-nage), far superior to other mid-level yokozunas.

Kaio; rather poor content sumo and surprised to see he won 11. I guess his jiriki showed? As a dead-end ozeki(the one does not go up higher level), he continues to build inroads. Yet I still think there is a chance to move up...

Wakanosato; really has not improved much. I think he needs to do sumo also in oshi-tsuppari to win 10 plus regularly in upper makuuchi.

Kokkai showed his jiriki by winning kachikoshi in upper makuuchi(definition being the level you fight against all available ozekis-yokozunas). Looks like he already might be at the level of Wakanosato or Kotomitsuki(although sumo style is different). If he could expand to yotsu-zumo like he did against to Shimotori & refine his oshi, he might reach ozeki relatively easily.

Hakuho; he will be in upper makuuchi next basho. If he could prove himself by winning 10 at this level, he might be able to get to ozeki lot quicker I thought(2yrs). But perhaps 6 to 8 wins is likely

Miyabiyama; I am not convinced he can stick to sanyaku consistently as far as looking at this basho's sumo; he fought generally for weaker opponents and sumo content was not that great either.

Hokutoumi & Tamanoshima- I feel Hokutoumi should be able to semi-stick to upper makuuchi level in the future. This month his sumo was often very hesitant- a dead give away in oshizumo. He should be able to do around 6-9 to 9-6 around this level in the future. So can Tamanoshima

Toyozakura; unbelievable. He will be at mid-level makuuchi- perhaps very had to get katchikoshi next time.

Iwakiyama, shimotori, asasekiryu; I feel they gained enough jiriki to stick to upper makuuchi in the near future.

Kotooshu, Toyonoshima

I haven't watched any bouts of Kotooshu & Toyonoshima this basho. But based on what I read in the forum both have instantly pretty good prospects at least to mid-level makuuchi. I even venture to say Kotooshu could win 10plus next basho. Eventually, Toyonoshima could well become mini-Akinoshima or even mini-Asahikuni(ozeki)-- for him to win 10plus regularly at upper makuuchi he would need to sumo "stick-his-head-to-opponents-neck" style.

Roho- I have not watched bous this basho, but like Kashunowaka says I don't know how far he can get. Personally, I don't think he will be able to stick to mid-level makuuchi with current style of sumo. I think he needs to utilize his body & muscle mass to expand repatoire to yostuzumo. At best he has some huge potential to sumo like Taiho or Wajima(yes it's remote), or fair chance he can sumo like Kyokutenho or even wakanosato level.

Kokkai showed his jiriki by winning kachikoshi in upper makuuchi(definition being the level you fight against all available ozekis-yokozunas).  Looks like he already might be at the level of Wakanosato or Kotomitsuki(although sumo style is different).  If he could expand to yotsu-zumo like he did against to Shimotori & refine his oshi, he might reach ozeki relatively easily.

Kokkai has serious problems with the middle-range quality rikishi, otherwise known as the meat grinder. He beat some really strong opponents (Wakanosato, Musoyama, Tochiazuma), but lost to Dejima, Kotomitsuki, Takamisakari. I wonder what he'd do against C and K, if he didn't slop and slip.

Hakuho; he will be in upper makuuchi next basho.  If he could prove himself by winning 10 at this level, he might be able to get to ozeki lot quicker I thought(2yrs). But perhaps 6 to 8 wins is likely

Hakuho will be yokozuna.

Miyabiyama; I am not convinced he can stick to sanyaku consistently as far as looking at this basho's sumo; he fought generally for weaker opponents and sumo content was not that great either.

Yeah, probably.

Roho- I have not watched bous this basho, but like Kashunowaka says I don't know how far he can get.  Personally, I don't think he will be able to stick to mid-level makuuchi with current style of sumo.  I think he needs to utilize his body & muscle mass to expand repatoire to yostuzumo.  At best he has some huge potential to sumo like Taiho or Wajima(yes it's remote), or fair chance he can sumo like Kyokutenho or even wakanosato level.

Roho is not showing brilliance as the likes of Kokkai, Hakuho, Kotooshu, even Tokitenku from time to time do. Yet he's steadily moving up, and I think he will be a good makuuchi rikishi in the end. His potential is great, question is whether he will utilize it to the full extent.

And then there's his brother Hakurozan who may or may not be in Juryo next time already.

Hakuho will be yokozuna.

Experienced enough, like shoryu uses his brains too, but wonders why he wanders off mid-way distracted (searching for his milk-bottle?)

Yes, Hakuho will be Yokozuna after 10 bashos! (My prediction based on nothing hahaha)

(Laughing...) :-) :-D :-P

Yes, Hakuho will be Yokozuna after 10 bashos! (My prediction based on nothing hahaha)

Hakuho has already done something quite rare in top-level sumo. i.e. string together two superb performances in consecutive basho.

Since Miyabiyama dropped from ozeki, he has fought in sanyaku three times:

2002.07 Ke 6-9

2003.09 Sw 4-11

2004.05 Ke 3-12

Why would it be different this time? One can only hope that the trend doesn't continue with 2-13.

Toyozakura; unbelievable.  He will be at mid-level makuuchi- perhaps very had to get katchikoshi next time.

UDH: Toyozakura, 6 points - check. Yes, it was a great basho for Toyozakura - probably too good for his own best. If he is lucky, he might just end up outside the meat grinder, thanks to all the double digits from those above him.

Tokitsuumi

Tokitsuumi has been ranked within the M3-M8 range for a long time now, so that is obviously where he should be. He was well outside of the spanking zone this time, so 6-9 was a little less than expected. But looking at his opponents, he just about beat everyone he should beat and lost to everyone he should lose to. Perhaps we will just have to get used to seeing Tokitsuumi a little lower in the banzuke than before.

Tochinonada, Tosanoumi

Both will be back in the upper maegashira next time. They share the same ability to beat or lose to anyone on a given day, and are great assets to makuuchi. Tosanoumi has a smaller margin for errors, but a higher potential for really good results.

A lot of rikishi were ranked "too high" (Hokutoriki, Kotoryu, Kotonowaka, Kyokushuzan ...) or "too low" (Tochinonada, Miyabiyama, Asasekiryu, Tosanoumi ...) on the Nagoya basho banzuke. The Aki basho banzuke looks like it will be more balanced. Someone has to take the losses o course, but my initial impression is that it will be harder to predict who that is going to be.

Hokutoumi & Tamanoshima- I feel Hokutoumi should be able to semi-stick to upper makuuchi level in the future. This month his sumo was often very hesitant- a dead give away in oshizumo. He should be able to do around 6-9 to 9-6 around this level in the future. So can Tamanoshima

I think Hokutoumi will make Yokozuna circa 1987 myself! (Laughing...)

Hakuho has already done something quite rare in top-level sumo.
Edited by Asashosakari

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, Miyabiyama will be first ex-Ozeki ever who makes it back to sanyaku for the fourth time...

I have the feeling that Miyabiyama will achieve many more 'first time ex-Ozeki' records in his career, simply because he IS the youngest ex-Ozeki ever and will struggle on for another couple of years.

Good thing? Only the pro-Miyabiyama movement could tell...

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, Miyabiyama will be first ex-Ozeki ever who makes it back to sanyaku for the fourth time...

I have the feeling that Miyabiyama will achieve many more 'first time ex-Ozeki' records in his career, simply because he IS the youngest ex-Ozeki ever

Indeed he is, but not by as much as one could imagine... Miyabiyama's last Ozeki basho 2001.09 at 24 years and 2 months means he was about 10 days younger than Daiju (aka conehead-oyakata) in his last Ozeki-basho in 1974.05. His post-Ozeki career was not much to write home about...

qttp

Roho is not showing brilliance as the likes of Kokkai, Hakuho, Kotooshu, even Tokitenku from time to time do. Yet he's steadily moving up, and I think he will be a good makuuchi rikishi in the end. His potential is great, question is whether he will utilize it to the full extent.
-Right.

qttp & others

Hakuho will be yokozuna.
-I am somewhat surprised, but I don't reckon rather astute observers like sumoforum fellow members will say this without a reason... then perhaps chance of Yokozuna should be quite high... But as for 10 basho to become yokozuna, can we negotiate to 12-15?

Kashunowaka

Since Miyabiyama dropped from ozeki, he has fought in sanyaku three times:
Interesting info. I feel he will win 5 to 7 matches.
If he is lucky, he might just end up outside the meat grinder, thanks to all the double digits from those above him.
. Think-so-too. May be loosen up his mawashi like his brother would help?

Fujisan

I think Hokutoumi will make Yokozuna circa 1987 myself!
Absolutely! Now you know how my time-superimposed brain works well sometimes...

Asashosakari

Next basho will be telling...if he can manage kachi-koshi against all the top-rankers in his first attempt, I'll probably jump on the "Hakuho will make Ozeki pretty quickly" bandwagon.
On a second thought, this would be a more prudent investment decision...

Jakusotsu

have the feeling that Miyabiyama will achieve many more 'first time ex-Ozeki' records in his career
Perhaps.

Yubiquitoyama

Daiju (aka conehead-oyakata) in his last Ozeki-basho in 1974.05. His post-Ozeki career was not much to write home about...
Sorry this is rather off topic; My favorite sad Daiju... Every time he had tachiai with Kurohimeyama(had a hera but shut it down I think) & Fujizakura(nakamura oyakata), their skull thump echoed in the stadium.. now I know at least why Daiju could take it with the cilicon in his head... But I have no idea how others lived to do things like that... I mean no human being should stay sane or alive with that kind of shock in their head and neck without being in a bus or train or at least a protective gear even once ever. Yet perhaps my time-superimposed brain exaggerate the whole thing again, perhaps current Chiyotaikai & Iwakiyama clash is much more intensive...

I felt Daiju WAS kind of weak, I felt he was somewhere between Miyabiyama & Yotsukasa( I know there is a quite a gap..) in current relative scale. He was utterly completely useless when his mawashi was taken like even weaker than Yotsukasa(& worse his mawashi was not loose like Kitazakura's). The thing is my gripe about something almost all fellow Forummers disagree with me; you are not allowed to sumo in Juryo as ex-ozeki. He did something like two days or so with losses and had to quit, right?

Well sorry I guess I got too excited again at the end of basho and wrote too much... Should cool off again....