Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

New recruits for Natsu 2016

Former Ozeki Kaio is on a recruiting drive this year. Like last basho Asakayama-beya will have two new recruits, making five so far this year and 10 rikishi for the heya in total. First is 18-year-old Takumi Kurahashi (倉橋 拓海) from Toyohashi, Aichi prefecture. 170cm, 120kg. Sumo experience during junior and senior high school.

Asakayama_Kurahashi.jpg

The other newcomer is 15-year-old Keisuke Sugano (菅野 圭祐) from Tokyo. Sumo experience from his elementary and junior high school years.

Asakayama_Sugano.jpg

Shikihide-beya will also have a new recruit named Ezuka (江塚), but that's all I know about him so far.

Finally, he's not a new recruit but Onomatsu-beya's banzuke-gai Suekawa plans to take part in maezumo after more than a year out of action.

• Like 3

All 12 passed the initial check and wait for the results of the medical. Tokuda with 190cm, 123kg gets the most attention http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/sumo/2016/04/27/0009029445.shtml
grip test
s-sato2016042710tokuno-ogp_0.jpg

s-sato2016042703sumo-w500_0.jpg
Tamanoi might prefer the usually smaller new recruits for Shikihide-heya: Imai (22, 172cm, 97kg) - and also as usual no sumo experience: 5th at the East-Japan shot put championships for business people 2 years ago - as student at the University of Tokyo Health Sciences: no club there for this. He had visited keiko at the heya to get hints for track and field training, was able to try sumo then and at once got invited by the oyakata to join. He is licensed physiotherapist now. High school in Tokyo, so maybe this is his shusshin.
http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20160427-OHT1T50065.html
20160427-OHT1I50042-L.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

All 12 passed the initial check and wait for the results of the medical. Tokuda with 190cm, 123kg gets the most attention

for Shikihide-heya: Imai (22, 172cm, 97kg)

no sumo experience: 5th at the East-Japan shot put championships for business people 2 years ago - as student at the University of Tokyo Health Sciences

He had visited keiko at the heya to get hints for track and field training, was able to try sumo then and at once got invited by the oyakata to join. He is licensed physiotherapist now.

Imai hasn't got his license yet, only just passed the qualifying exam, but he already has started to practice his skills with his senior deshi. He just entered before the age limit: "Now or never. Now that I started it, I want to aim for sekitori."

http://www.chunichi.co.jp/chuspo/article/sumo/news/CK2016042802000159.html

The cheapest way to have a physiotherapist work for the heya.

Tokuda had decided to enter Tottori Johoku high, but then thought "I want to use the 3 years for myself."

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2016/04/28/kiji/K20160428012485370.html

G20160428012485210_view.jpg

I still haven't seen mentioned why he did chose Musashigawa- and not Takasago-beya (or others) - just that he aims to become like Musashimaru. Body-wise he definitely fits better there - Takasago has produced a dai-yokozuna, but the oyakata has reached 60 now.

Edited by Akinomaki

The first nearly totally hearing impaired rikishi maybe? (and if he passes the medical) - for which heya? Shikihide, were else - the heya is open to all who love (to try) sumo.
It's Kaoru Ezuka, mentioned above: 16, 169cm, 70kg, and he has sumo experience: since 3rd year primary school, and loves it.
At that age he came in contact with Kitazakura at a jungyo, was impressed by his salt routine, became a great fan and decided that he once wants to enter ozumo. In a letter he asked his now shisho to have a bout with him, Kitazakura came and let himself get throw down at a wampaku tournament close-by - and Ezuka at once got invited to join. For 8 years he had kept that thought in his heart.
In 2012 in his hometown Iwata-city, Shizuoka, he won the citizens sumo tournament middle school division.
After he failed the high school entrance exams, he decided to enter ozumo.
"I want to get to sandanme within 3 years, makushita in 5 years, sekitori in 10."
Kitazakura actually had hearing problems himself, and yokozuna Futabayama nearly couldn't see with his right eye.
http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20160428-OHT1T50002.html
http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1638647.html
20160428-OHT1I50000-L.jpg
he will have to take off the hearing aid on the dohyo - without it he hears nothing, especially not a "matta" or "shobu ari" call from the gyoji.
bt-sumo-eduka-kc20160428-ogp_0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 6

I notice that Tamanoi measures from above the top of the hair, seemingly giving many of the incomers an extra cm or two. I recall from a previous thread that Ishibashi looked to be getting around 3 extra cm's because of his high hair.

Tokuda Ryutaro is certainly the strongest of the 12 new recruits, but Sugano Keisuke deserves a mention also (and perhaps keeping an eye out for).

Once upon a time A few years ago in Tokyo, there were 3 young rikishi from the same year who were so good that they stood head and shoulders (literally) above the competition. Not only were they great rivals of each other, but also very good friends as well, and all 3 had strong showings in national level tournaments.

Their names were Sugano Keisuke (菅野 圭祐), Arai Yuri (新井 宥里), and Nihon-yanagi Wataru (二本柳 亘), as pictured below (from left to right). The other 2 currently attend Saitama Sakae High School, and may choose to join Ozumo at a later date.

Capture.jpg

Edited by mikawa
  • Like 5

Tokuda at the shindeshi kensa, with interview

• Like 1

In addition to the already-covered Tokuda, Musashigawa-beya has also recruited 15-year-old Seiya Nishimura (西村 晟哉) from Tokorozawa, Saitama prefecture. 175cm, 120kg. No prior sports experience.

Tokuda and Nishimura no-flagging beneath a yusho portrait of their shisho:

Musashigawa_Tokuda_Nishimura.jpg

• Like 2

NSK data:

SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Ezuka 江塚 Kaoru Ezuka Shikihide 169 70 02 - February - 2000 Shizuoka
Fukuda 福田 Takuma Fukuda Kise 168 92 11 - February - 1997 Tokyo
Imai 今井 Yoshiki Imai Shikihide 172 97 21 - June - 1993 Kanagawa
Kurahashi 倉橋 Takumi Kurahashi Asakayama 170 117 14 - May - 1997 Aichi
Nakao 中尾 Makoto Nakao Dewanoumi 175 106 16 - January - 1998 Osaka
Nishimura 西村 Seiya Nishimura Musashigawa 176 115 05 - February - 2001 Saitama
Sato 佐藤 Kosaku Sato Fujishima 182 105 20 - February - 1995 Gifu
Sugano 菅野 Keisuke Sugano Asakayama 171 148 26 - April - 2000 Tokyo
Takeuchi 竹内 Kengo Takeuchi Michinoku 182 97 08 - September- 1998 Miyazaki
Tokuda 徳田 Ryutaro Tokuda Musashigawa 190 123 25 - July - 2000 Kagoshima
Tsunetsuku 恒次 Eisaku Tsunetsugu Oguruma 181 150 28 - September- 1993 Okayama
Umeno 梅野 Masamitsu Umeno Sakaigawa 184 104 27 - June - 1993 Nagasaki
  • Like 4

*Now* we get a 2001 birthdate, and the exact date is before March too, so I guess it was blind luck that no one in the main entering class was born in the beginning of 2001.

I found a guy who posted the results for each maezumo session so far, he says he watched it all via that Softbank streaming thing which does cover all divisions. I can't verify anything about the first three sessions, but the Day 6 results he posted do match up with the video I found for that session. Dewanoumi-beya's Nakao now appears to be Nakaoumi (中尾海?) while Fujishima-beya's Sato appears to be Fujisato (藤佐藤?). Sakaigawa-beya's Umeno seems to be kyujo. No fewer than five banzuke-gai rikishi are taking part, including Urutora who suffered dislocations to both shoulders and needed surgery to repair one of them.

Anyway, here are the results I found.

Day 3:

o Kotokensei	Suekawa x
o Kamiyutaka	Hokuto x
x Urutora	Asahiryu o
x Nishimura	Takeuchi o
o Tokuda	Kurahashi x
x Fujisato	Sugano o
x Nakaoumi	Tsunetsugu o
x Ezuka		Fukuda o
x Imai		Suekawa o

Day 4:

x Urutora	Kurahashi o
x Nishimura	Fujisato o
o Ezuka		Nakaoumi x
x Imai		Kotokensei o
x Kamiyutaka	Suekawa o
o Asahiryu	Takeuchi x
o Tokuda	Sugano x
o Tsunetsugu	Fukuda x

Day 5:

x Takeuchi	Kurahashi o
o Fujisato	Sugano x
o Ezuka		Fukuda x
o Kotokensei	Suekawa x
x Tokuda	Asahiryu o
x Tsunetsugu	Kurahashi o
o Urutora	Nishimura x
x Imai		Nakaoumi o
x Tokuda	Suekawa o

Day 6:

o Tokuda	Fujisato x
x Ezuka		Tsunetsugu o
o Urutora	Takeuchi x
x Nakaoumi	Sugano o
o Imai		Nishimura x
x Ezuka		Fujisato o
o Urutora	Fukuda x
Day 6 session video. Urutora looks as lively as ever, while there's a nice moment as Ezuka removes his hearing aids and hands them to Urutora after being called up for his first bout.

• Like 9

Results of the final maezumo session from the same source.

Day 7:

x Ezuka		Sugano o
x Nakaoumi	Takeuchi o
x Imai		Fukuda o
o Ezuka		Nishimura x
o Takeuchi	Fukuda x

So, if all the results above are correct the final standings of this basho's maezumo should be as follows, banzuke-gai returnees marked with an asterisk:

Kotokensei *	3-0
Asahiryu	3-0
Kurahashi	3-1
Tsunetsugu	3-1
Suekawa *	3-2
Tokuda		3-2
Fujisato	3-2
Urutora *	3-2
Sugano		3-2
Takeuchi	3-3
Ezuka		3-4
Fukuda		2-4
Nakaoumi	1-4
Imai		1-4
Kamiyutaka *	1-1-3
Nishimura	0-5
Hokuto *	0-1-4
Umeno		Kyujo
  • Like 6

The new recruits returned to the dohyo today for the shussehiro, minus the kyujo Umeno. The participating gyoji was Kimura Masatoshi.

Front row, from right: Asahiryu, Kurahashi, Tokuda, Tsunetsugu.

Second row, from right: Fujisato, Sugano, Ezuka, Takeuchi.

Third row, from right: Fukuda, Nakaoumi, Imai, Nishimura.

Shussehiro01.jpg

They also posed for a commemorative picture in the sumo school, in a more picture-friendly two rows of six.

Shussehiro02.jpg

Shussehiro03.jpg

And for completeness, the Kyokai also gave us our first proper look at the two new gyoji. Unlike the shindeshi, new gyoji begin officiating bouts on the torikumi following the completion of maezumo.

Shikimori Kainosuke, Isenoumi-beya.

Shikimori_Kainosuke.jpg

Shikimori Tatsunosuke, Takadagawa-beya.

Shikimori_Tatsunosuke.jpg

• Like 2

Kainosuke's orange getup is one of the cooler ones I've seen, though it looks a bit sized-for-growth. Borrowed off a senior colleague?

Courtesy of witchcraft, here's some videographic confirmation of the previously posted results.

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5...sadly, a clipboard was injured in the line of duty on this day:

Day 6:

Day 7:

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 6

Presentation:

The slightly corrected final standings (adjusted in order only; the W-Ls were accurate as posted by Yubinhaad):

3-win target achieved:

#01 Mz1 Kotokensei Sadogatake 3-0

#02 Mz6 Asahiryu Oguruma 3-0

#03 Mz10 Kurahashi Asakayama 3-1

#04 Mz2 Suekawa Onomatsu 3-2

#05 Mz8 Tokuda Musashigawa 3-2

#06 Mz13 Tsunetsugu Oguruma 3-1

#07 Mz12 Fujisato Fujishima 3-2

#08 Mz5 Urutora Shikihide 3-2

#09 Mz11 Sugano Asakayama 3-2

#10 Mz15 Ezuka Shikihide 3-4

#11 Mz9 Takeuchi Michinoku 3-3

Remaining order:

#12 Mz18 Fukuda Kise 2-4

#13 Mz14 Nakaoumi Dewanoumi 1-4

#14 Mz16 Imai Shikihide 1-4

#15 Mz3 Kamiyutaka Tokitsukaze 1-1-3

#16 Mz7 Nishimura Musashigawa 0-5

#17 Mz4 Hokuto Isegahama 0-1-4

--- Mz17 Umeno Sakaigawa 0-0-5

Mz1 to Mz5 were the returnees, who as usual did not participate in the public presentation.

The previously mentioned shikona kanji are also confirmed:

Asahiryu = 朝日龍

Fujisato = 藤佐藤

Nakaoumi = 中尾海

In addition, the crack web staff at the Kyokai has somehow managed to romanize Tsunetsugu's shikona as Tsunetsuku on the English side; the Japanese pages have the reading as the presumably correct Tsunetsugu つねつぐ.

• Like 6

Thank you for posting these. It's good to see the "raw material" in their first official bouts. Some are obviously experienced. Ezuka impressed with his strong arms, that would be an interesting chap to watch as he gains weight. Why on earth the chap with the leg bandages showed up at all is a mystery.

Tokuda had decided to enter Tottori Johoku high, but then thought "I want to use the 3 years for myself."

I still haven't seen mentioned why he did chose Musashigawa- and not Takasago-beya (or others) - just that he aims to become like Musashimaru. Body-wise he definitely fits better there - Takasago has produced a dai-yokozuna, but the oyakata has reached 60 now.

Tokuda went to see several heya that had approached him: he got attracted to Musashigawa by the kindness of the oyakata and the other deshi. http://www.sankei.com/west/news/160519/wst1605190037-n1.html
  • Like 4