Sign in to follow this  
WAKATAKE

Sumo DB Inquiries (Did I get it right?)

So, I'm trying to get the whole thing down with trying to use Sumo DB, so I'd like to ask any expert users of the DB whether I got this right. My first query that is linked below is seeing who are the top winners by way of kimarite, so the example below is by way of yorikiri. If somebody can check this and let me know if it is correct, most appreciated. Thanks!

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi1&having=200&m=on&j=on&ms=on&sd=on&jd=on&jk=on&rowcount=5&kimarite=66&shikona_changes1=on&onlyw1=on

PS if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

The query will certainly do what you intended in terms of bringing in what knowledge there is in the database of people with lots of yorikiri wins, which is the best you can hope for, but any time you use the bout query, especially when filtering by kimarite, you have to understand that there are a lot of bouts that we know the results of but not the kimarite (I was checking out Kaio's kimarite history and was surprised that even into the 1990s the lower division kimarite weren't recorded for posterity), and even further back there are basho that we have final results for but not individual bout results, so totals from bout queries won't match totals on rikishi pages if they're old enough.

The query will certainly do what you intended in terms of bringing in what knowledge there is in the database of people with lots of yorikiri wins, which is the best you can hope for, but any time you use the bout query, especially when filtering by kimarite, you have to understand that there are a lot of bouts that we know the results of but not the kimarite (I was checking out Kaio's kimarite history and was surprised that even into the 1990s the lower division kimarite weren't recorded for posterity), and even further back there are basho that we have final results for but not individual bout results, so totals from bout queries won't match totals on rikishi pages if they're old enough.

Understood. I was thinking that myself when I would be looking at older matches and also wrestlers who would have been active in the earlier times. With the way information is over the internet it's a lot easier to track newer people considering the Kyokai does that now on it's website.

The "Sumo" magazine published kimarite for lower divisions only since Nagoya 1991 or so, so the database is pretty much complete with regard to publicly available kimarite.

• Like 1

Wow, I have an idea! This would be great subject to research for a historian (or a person who learns history)...

I'm sure that the Kyokai somehow keeps track of the results. Does anybody know, how they record the outcome of the bouts? Doitsuyama wrote: "publicly available kimarite". Where do they hide these records? Is there a big book somewhere? :)

Is it possible to search the DB for a banzuke based on the ranks of 2 or more rikishi?

What I mean is for example: all basho in which Chiyonofuji was Y1e AND Asashio was O1e.

I don't think it's possible to make a query like that, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.

Is it possible to search the DB for a banzuke based on the ranks of 2 or more rikishi?

What I mean is for example: all basho in which Chiyonofuji was Y1e AND Asashio was O1e.

I don't think it's possible to make a query like that, but I hope someone will prove me wrong.

VoilĂ .
  • Like 1

VoilĂ .

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if that query is order-preserving? Would it have shown a theoretical basho where Asashio was Y1e and Chiyonofuji O1e?

Edit: I think I answered my own question, I flipped the ranks and got the same results, so I assume the order is not important

Edited by krindel

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if that query is order-preserving? Would it have shown a theoretical basho where Asashio was Y1e and Chiyonofuji O1e?

Edit: I think I answered my own question, I flipped the ranks and got the same results, so I assume the order is not important

For queries that can admit more than one possible combination (unlike here, since Asashio was never yokozuna), I use the highlight tool to "filter" the desired results, e.g. like this for a promotion query - rikishi ranked either Ms3e or Ms5e, with either 4 or 5 wins, and highlighting set for Ms3e 4-3 and Ms5e 5-2. You'll still need to sift manually through the unwanted junk that the query also produces, but it's as far as you can push the query front-end without resorting to Excel etc. for additional digging.

Of course that approach doesn't work for queries that involve shikona (like the Chiyonofuji/Asashio one above), since the shikona field applies globally and can't be used for highlighting.