Sign in to follow this  
Hoshifransu

Aki Basho 2002

One more time, a lot of surprises for day 1 ...

Musashimaru lost his 5th in a row ... Oh dear ... (however, I think he'll beat Kotoryu tomorrow) Chiyotaikai lost too ... And Takanohana didn't forget his classic wins by yorikiri ! So, both sekiwake could approach the Ozeki rank if they carry on like that ... Tosanoumi beating Chiyotaikai is incredible ... and another difficult bout for Chiyo tomorrow Vs. another heavy weight, Tochinonada. Wakanosato had had difficulties in the past Vs. Toki but he seems to be very motivated by the Ozeki possibility and so, he didn't make the same errors as before against Mister Sideburns ...

Kaio lost against Miya ... Another huge disappointment for his fans who really wanna watch the real Kaio winning again !

And good start for Kotomitsuki !

So, other comments ?  :-0

And Asashoryu was wonderful against Shimotori. I find who had the most impressive. Certainly, he will be candidate for yusho!

Maru looked dangerously clumsy although pirouetting rather neatly at least once. Nami controlled the bout in three phases and yanked a snappy dashinage to get behind.

Kaio vs Miyabiyama was a mix of staggering, hovering, stumbling and peculiar limb-work. Kaio seemed extra nervous throughout the bout and maybe had some stiffness due to hard training period. I remain optimistic though and as the basho gets older Kaio becomes more loose and winning streaks are expected (by me at least

Today's Taikai-Tosa bout reminded me very much of their last one. Taikai did everything he ususally does but Tosa could withstand it and when Taikai's first fire was gone Tosa took command. I don't think that this means Taikai will have a bad basho, the question now is whether he can compensate this first shock. It's a difference between losing your first and you tenth match...

Really disappointing was Maru. I doubt that he will finish the basho. When he is healthy he is usually not manhandled by Nami...and Nami dominated the bout completely.

Congrats to him for finally ending his losing streak against his former Co-Ozeki...

Few minutes ago in the bout between Akinoshima & Kyokushuzan the gyoji got hurt. :-0

Akinoshima threw Kyokushuzan towards the tawara where the gyoji stood and had no time to avoid the collision but flew with the Mongol onto the crowd.

It seems either his nose started bleeding profusely or he got cut in his forehead. Hard to tell from the webfeed.

He was duly taken to the restroom and given medical care and the next gyoji stepped up to the dohyo. I didn't notice whether the injured gyoji already officiated his designated two (?) bouts.

It probably looked worse than it really was but you can't be careless with flying men of 142 kg.

UPDATE: Kintamayama-zeki kindly reminded me Kyokushuzan is actually the bout winner. I take this as a sign of my progressing demency. But the gyoji did get hurt. Really! Trust me on this! (Exclamation)

From what I could tell on the telecast, he had a nasty cut just beside his eye - not really sure what he hit, probably the bench (as I understand that any objects are usually prohibited in the first row).

Reiko said that he had to be taken to the medical center, as it was a "serious injury".  Akebono-oyakata who was guest commentator said that it looked to him like he will need stiches.  Looks like we got our first kyujo of the basho :-P

Cheers

Zenjimoto

Poor gyoji ...

The other big question of this basho (the first one is, of course, will Takanohana carry on Sumo ?) could be : Will this basho be Kotomitsuki's revival ? The mid-table maegashira rank could give him good opportunities to avoid the high-ranked wrestlers during some bouts and like the favourites, excepted Asashoryu, have all been defeated once, well, this could be Kotomitsuki's revival !  (Blush...)

Tochisakae was absent against Aminishiki. Any news about him?

Asashoryu won by tsutaezori. That must be the first time this kimarite introduced last year was used in makuuchi.

UPDATE: Meanwhile the injured gyoji is confirmed to go kyujo if such an expression can be used for gyoji.

Sad news about Terao ... After he got injured, this could be the end of his career ... Does anyone know if he wants to carry on fighting in Makushita ?  (But, but...)

Tochisakae has severe skin rashes again. Izutsu oyakata said Terao has

back pain but may come back after few days of rest to fight for his sekitori status.

Miyabiyama steadily sneaks his way back to the level prior to his ozeki

promotion when shoulder deterioration didn't yet burden his body and

spirit. Already in Natsu and Nagoya his sumo looked rejuvenated in many

ways.

Guest Megumishiki

Even with just 5 days into the basho, things have been very interesting...and heart-breaking somehow. I mention the last impression because of Takanohana's loss to Kotoryu. Well the latter fought nicely and deserves credit but it seemed Taka's knees gave way or his feet slipped too far.

One too many you've been a Star Wars movie watching. Mmm..

Coming from you Rijicho I am very surprisingly unable to read that sentence smoothly. Strange structure it has in more than innocent "times"-omitting sense

Well, Daizen seems to be a free-falling wrestler since a couple of basho ... I'm afraid this could be the end of his career very soon because of the age, surely ... He just can't stop losing ...

Akinoshima and Otsukasa have huge difficulties since two basho too ... What's happening ? It seems the classic Makuuchi wrestlers disappear to be substituted by a new generation : Shimotori, Hokutoriki, Kasuganishiki, Ushiomaru, Iwakiyama, Takanotsuru (perhaps - I hope so - Do ya imagine a bout Takanotsuru Vs Toki ??? Guess who is who !?)

BTW, look at tomorrow's interesting Juryo bout : Terao Vs Kotokanyu ! If you add the ages of both of them, you obtain some 77 years of age on the dohyo ... Would you believe it ... ?  :~-(

BTW, look at tomorrow's interesting Juryo bout : Terao Vs Kotokanyu ! If you add the ages of both of them, you obtain some 77 years of age on the dohyo ... Would you believe it ... ?

Any precedent for Tochisakae's case? He skipped 4 days in Nagoya basho due to infected skin rashes and returned to clinch a nice 9-3-3 record. Now he won't get kachi koshi but the point is that he replicated the Nagoya basho formula more or less and returns today onto dohyo after 5 days absence (and probably for very identical reasons). I don't remember hearing about similar case before ie. taking temporary kyujo in the middle of honbasho in two consecutive honbasho.

Other cases I recall are:

Konishiki in the basho he almost upset Takanohana back in 1997

Takanowaka last year returned after about week's absence after a broken rib.

Tamakasuga in Nagoya basho due to infected skin problems too.

Terao in ongoing Aki basho due to lower back pain.

Well, I've just put almost the same message as below onto the Sumo Game's Forum :

Sad news for Sentoryu ... Unfortunately, this time again, Sentoryu has to face injury problems and he's currently 1-3 as E-Makushita 26 wrestler ... Sentoryu has just written on his web site www.sentoryu.com : "my leg is still giving me some problems. Not in pain wise or anything like that. The problem is that I just can't seem to keep my bad leg under me to keep my balance straight when I'am going forward to give the guy a second thrust for the win. I'm sure that this problem will take some time but, I will be doing my very best to win my last 3 bouts."

You too, go to his forum and cheer him up, Sentoryu really needs a lot of messages of support, of encouragement from a lot of fans everywhere in the world ... And Sentoryu will personally answer to you on his forum ! Some advices to send him a message, because of some japanese not traduced sometimes : click the "post" link to post him a message and put your name into the first zone, put your e-mail into the second zone, put the title of your message into the third zone, put your message into the main zone, put (if necessary) the url of your own web site into the fifth zone, and finally, put a password into the sixth zone to enable you and only you to update some elements if you read it and you want to change some things ... So, don't be shy, Sentoryu needs the support of a maximum of fans during difficult moments too !

You may add the age of the gyoji who hopefully will always be on the dohyo too.

Absolutely ! That could make ... some ... mmh ... around of 130-140 years on the dohyo ?  :-(  (Sigh...)

BTW, very significant bout tomorrow :

Akinoshima Versus Kasuganishiki

Veteran Vs new generation ...

I think Akinoshima can make it again !

:-Q

Any views on Kotomitsuki?

He is at 7-1 and yet to fase any really formidable opponents. Aminishiki, Hokutoriki, Gojoro, Buyuzan, Kasuganishiki, Wakanoyama, Kyokushuzan are not at his level but still many of his bouts have been almost weak. Four slap/pulldowns and in three of those he was in trouble already. On the other hand he is winning! This can serve as a major carrot for him. Reasoning the situation in the way that as he has now done mediocre sumo he should have another gear in reserve when he goes against sanyaku! Kotomitsuki is a very dark horse whose performance so far wouldn't suggest yusho candidacy at all but if he snaps out of his sleepy sumo he might well be as probable yusho winner as Musashimaru, Asashoryu or Chiyotaikai.

Underperforming in relation to condition and ability but doing fine in terms of record. Quite potential equation I would say!! Any opposite views? Any critique? Any comments?

Kotomitsuki disappoint me on this basho. He forget his sumo ( very few nage since first day ), and overall lot of hatakikomi and hikiotoshi! What a shame for this rikishi!

It's true that he is at 7-1, cetainly he will have a very good score ( 11-4 or 12-3 and perhaps 13-2 ), but I would prefer a 9-6 with the way.

Otsukasa & Senshuyama just had the most entertaining bout lasting probably close (if not over) to that four minute point that usually is taken as the mizu-iri point unless there is enough activity on the dohyo and in this bout there certainly was.

Lots of harite and other nasty goings-on. ;-) It seemed that blokes started disliking each other in earnest. Finally Otsukasa with his new hanging coiffure pulled Senshuyama on his belly.

Most delightful and thoroughly enjoyable sumo. Jolly good. (Happy...)

Magnificent home strech for the basho!

Yokozuna and ozeki analysis follows now:

Musashimaru (10-1)

Massive domination in many bouts and few come backs after his balance was shaken. His day 1 loss gave a scare that he might be in way too clumsy shape but his weight has not manifested on the dohyo in negative light! Clear yusho favourite. Tomorrow's clash with Asashoryu is essential. Then Kaio, Chiyotaikai and Takanohana. 13-2 and loss in kettei-sen

Takanohana (9-2)

Incredible tenacity and will to wrestle. Many rikishi have given him all the punishment available. Taka has been in trouble many times but has survived and turned the tables. He still has rusty footwork but his skill is still magical on the belt. I doubt he can endure Taikai's charge or Kaio's yotsu-sumo unless he destroys Taikai's rhytm and totally prevents Kaio to get any grip on the mawashi. 10-5 or 11-4.

Kaio (9-2)

Tremendous strength and no injury burdening him. Kitanofuji had regarded Kaio as yusho candidate after few days. Kaio had a mediocre bout against Musoyama in skill-wise leaving him in very vulnerable upright position. Right uwatenage was a great finish to real strength versus strength battle. Kaio's "swing oshi-rikishi's arm aside technique" is tuned up and if that works against Taikai, Kaio will finish with 13-2 and a yusho after kettei-sen

Time for a little break in work...

Musashimaru

Tomorrow's clash with Asashoryu is essential. Then Kaio, Chiyotaikai and Takanohana. 13-2 and loss in kettei-sen.

Well, he defeated Asashoryu (what a spectacle! ), so that second loss will have to come tomorrow against Kaio. ;)

Seriously, I'm at loss which one to choose in ISP. Both are looking so good. I'll cheer for Kaio to make the basho more interesting, but Musa is looking so strong... He just might take the yusho.

Takanohana

He still has rusty footwork but his skill is still magical on the belt.

He looks almost the old, perfect Taka :-) Tomorrow he fights tsuna-candidate Chiyo, and I for one hope he grinds him to dirt (I simply dislike Chiyo. Darth Taikai, and so on...) That will proove once and for all that old Taka is back and in the running, and will give Yokozuna council Chiyo to chew over (such a pitiful performance, undeserving of a future yokozuna, yadda yadda yadda). On the other hand, it's quite possible that Chiyo will blow Taka in low orbit of the dohyo, in which case he has to do the same to Musa to clinch the tsuna. Then noone will be able to claim he got it the easy way... even me. ;)

This pretty much took care of Chiyo's prospects, so let's move on...

Kaio

Tremendous strength and no injury burdening him. Kitanofuji had regarded Kaio as yusho candidate after few days.

I like Kaio (if we ignore his tendency to break other rikishi), but I don't know if he has mental strength to win the yusho against such competition. I'm hoping he'll prove me wrong!

Musoyama is reliable old horse as always. My all-time favourite Bench ozeki (replaced by Kaio this basho, though. But I'm mk this basho...). I think he'll clean up Mickey and other small fry thrown his way, and protect Musa's back, as was always his job.

Asashoryu

Asashoryu is so versatile and crazy that I have no energy to scrutinize his sumo now.

He's certainly the most exciting rikishi on the dohyo. He's got power, thirst, willpower, and utterly nasty character. :D

Ah yes, I forgot. What's the news with Tochiazuma? I remember hearing he broke his arm, but I forgot the details. Will he be back in Kyushu?