Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Basho Talk - Hatsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Well, Okinoumi is the sekitori from his heya.

Hakkaku will speak up if he feels that his charge has been wronged by the shimpan.

Other than calling a monoii (either shimpan or rikishi), can the rikishi involved in the match themselves make a call

(Sometimes like you see it in Tennis, with Rafa calling a shot in on a game point against himself).

I expect them to say something like "It was close and Toyonoshima was the rikishi moving forward. We want to inspire rikishi to forward-moving sumo, so we're giving him the win despite what the rules might explicitly say."

• Like 2

I can understand mistakes being made by referees, judges, etc.. but you had 5! ringside, and one watching the replays, PLUS the Gyoji, and everyone got it wrong? Oh, wait... it's possible for the masses to collectively screw things up. (See United States Electoral System.) (Or ANY episode of American Idol.)

More and more, Ichinojo really is becoming a clone of Yamamotoyama. The only way he's going to get wins is if he's the only one on the dohyo.

Endo and Terunofuji are definitely injured. The latter's knees were buckling through the whole match. And there are obvious others. Nobody's gaining from injured people limping through bouts. And the fans are getting cheated. Solution: Take some time off to heal properly. Drop down in the standings a bit - won't hurt. On the way back, they'll be feeding off the lower-ranking goldfish and be back to where they should be soon enough.

Still waiting for Kise to make good on his promise to go for the yusho this time. Well, things could change, but at this very early stage, I give this basho to Hakuho, who seems as good as ever.

• Like 1

Arawashi beats Seiro to bring back him back to level pegging with Arahish(i)o.

What a hoot.

Shodai could use some work on his tachiai. It seems like at the charge he just absorbs the opponent's impact then gets pushed behind his side of shikirisen.

I'm liking Yoshikaze, looking solid.

Hakuho has tied Taiho for second place in "Longest win streak against an opponent from hatsugao" at 21-0 after beating Tochinoshin today. Taiho had a 21 match win streak against Annenyama, while first place is currently Kitanoumi who had a 29 match win streak against Kaneshiro.

Hakuho also passed Kitanoumi today for 4th place on the all time wins list at 952. Hakuho can pass Kitanoumi for first place on the "most wins as Yokozuna" list if he gets seven more wins for the basho.

• Like 4

So many absences. Too many.

Yoshikaze vs. Ikioi was a hell of a bout. So good...having to resist the urge to re-watch.

Takarafuji surprised me there, I didn't realize he had that kind of power.

Was also surprised it took Kisenosato as long as it did to put away Ichinojo.

Glad Takayasu won, but I wanted to see a little more fight out of Amuuru. Ah, well.

Kakuryu vs. Aoiyama. Gee, I wonder who's going to win. Ah, yes...shocking.

I hope they get Aminishiki back in there, as it's going to throw off my whole "Aminishiki better watch the hell out for Shohozan" prediction if they don't, you know, face each other. (Though the best possible outcome would be Aminishiki wins via henka. I would laugh for days.)

EDIT: Failed to resist that urge, I had to watch that match over again before I could finish the post. XP

Edited by Dwale

According to Sanoyama oyakata, Takarafuji is able to benchpress 230kg and deadlift 300kg. Now if he could just consistently put that to practical use on the dohyo without any hernia...
  • Like 3

Kisenosato's win yesterday, the 684th of his career, moved him into the top 50 in all-time career wins.

• Like 4

You know how you don't miss something until it shows up? (Well, my car keys are the exception...) With this basho being in Tokyo and all, notice what's missing? All the slipping and sliding and belly flops and pratfalls. Everyone seems to have substantial footing and with that comes lots of throws because feet are anchored to the clay. Maybe they're throwing sugar instead of salt? Then watch what happens in March, when they throw ball bearings.

You know how you don't miss something until it shows up? (Well, my car keys are the exception...) With this basho being in Tokyo and all, notice what's missing? All the slipping and sliding and belly flops and pratfalls. Everyone seems to have substantial footing and with that comes lots of throws because feet are anchored to the clay. Maybe they're throwing sugar instead of salt? Then watch what happens in March, when they throw ball bearings.

The dohryo is just getting nervous and is susceptible to mind games played by the citizens of Osaka and their ilk.

I can't quite imagine that Hakkaku will say anything about it - shouldn't shimpan director Isegahama be the first port of call, if any?

I think he, Isegahama, made a few comments on his twitter account (@nISEGAHAMA) about it... Unfortunately I can't quite understand, I'm sure someone can help :-)

@nISEGAHAMA is a fan and not the oyakata

Ha, so I understood even less than I thought... Got fooled because he's followed by Terunofuji (91Ganjoy) I guess, or is that not him either? :-D

Sorry...

Nothing to be sorry for. That account had many followers fooled and puzzled including myself for a while until @nISEGAHAMA had to post that s(he) was not the actual oyakata/former yokozuna (probably getting a clutter of his personal fan messages). Although I think it would be fun if he had an official twitter account as several oyakata, yobidashi, gyoji, and many rikishi already do.

Futagoyama

Sanoyama

Oshima

Musashigawa beya

Shikihide beya

Edit: Although the Terunofuji @91Ganjoy is not a verified account (yet) it certainly seems to be him. Maybe we'll all be fooled again ;-)

Edited by inhashi
  • Like 1

Nothing to be sorry for. That account had many followers fooled and puzzled including myself for a while until @nISEGAHAMA had to post that s(he) was not the actual oyakata/former yokozuna (probably getting a clutter of his personal fan messages). Although I think it would be fun if he had an official twitter account as several oyakata, yobidashi, gyoji, and many rikishi already do.

Futagoyama

Sanoyama

Oshima

Musashigawa beya

Shikihide beya

Edit: Although the Terunofuji @91Ganjoy is not a verified account (yet) it certainly seems to be him. Maybe we'll all be fooled again ;-)

Are there any English-language sumo twitter accounts you would recommend?

Ah, I'm not aware of any accounts available in English dedicated to professional sumo, unfortunately (Raging at computer...)

Although should I come across one I will post and send one your way (Typing at computer...)

You can use a web site translator such as Google, but it severely sux.

Edited by inhashi

Ah, I'm not aware of any accounts available in English dedicated to professional sumo, unfortunately (Raging at computer...)

Although should I come across one I will post and send one your way (Typing at computer...)

Well, thank you kindly. ^.^ I had hunted a bit for one, but didn't have much luck.

Hakuho has tied Taiho for second place in "Longest win streak against an opponent from hatsugao" at 21-0 after beating Tochinoshin today. Taiho had a 21 match win streak against Annenyama, while first place is currently Kitanoumi who had a 29 match win streak against Kaneshiro.

Hakuho also passed Kitanoumi today for 4th place on the all time wins list at 952. Hakuho can pass Kitanoumi for first place on the "most wins as Yokozuna" list if he gets seven more wins for the basho.

I was going to ask whether someone had more bouts against the same opponent without suffering a defeat...thanks for that tidbit.

Edited by Kotooshu's Revenge

Really excited for Kotoshogiku this tournament being undefeated so far with Takayasu and Hakuho atm. Although unless he's kadoban risking to lose his ozeki rank, it seems he fizzles out the second week. I keep my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

According to Sanoyama oyakata, Takarafuji is able to benchpress 230kg and deadlift 300kg. Now if he could just consistently put that to practical use on the dohyo without any hernia...

My theory is that Takarafuji is just a gentle soul, but someday somethings going to snap and he'll tsuridashi Ichinojo or Gagamaru straight into the good seats.

I was going to ask whether someone had more bouts against the same opponent without suffering a defeat...thanks for that tidbit.

Yeah you have to really be paying attention to these things when you're watching the NHK broadcast. Sometimes you get lucky and they show the list on the screen, or sometimes they just mention it in passing. So here I am frantically trying to find notepaper so I can write this information down. Sure enough I check SumoDB, Kitanoumi and Taiho never lost to their opponents. We'll have to see if Hakuho can go all the way versus Tochinoshin.

Did they specifically say it's second place or just that he has tied that Taiho streak? I'm asking because of this.

Did they specifically say it's second place or just that he has tied that Taiho streak? I'm asking because of this.

Interesting, they didn't mention that in the broadcast. I'm pretty sure they said it was for second place. Maybe I can re-check the broadcast from Jason's channel.