Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Basho Talk - Hatsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Nikkan Sports had some nice trivia and records for Aminishiki's 8th kinboshi:

- Most kinboshi for active rikishi at 8

- Scoring the kinboshi in his 91st makuuchi basho is also the longest served rikishi beating out Terao who scored his last kinboshi in his 89th makuuchi basho

- Beating Kakuryu means he has scored kinboshi from all Yokozuna he has faced: Takanohana, Musashimaru, Asashoryu, Hakuho, Kakuryu

That moment when you're proud of someone you've never met...

• Like 1

- His seventh kinboshi came against Asashoryu in Natsu 2009

This is the 39th basho since that kinboshi, putting Aminishiki in 5th place also on the list of most basho between kinboshi:

1) Kirinji		47	1980 Nagoya (5th)	1988 Natsu (6th)
2) Wakanosato		45	1998 Kyushu (1st)	2006 Natsu (2nd)
3) Daizen		42	1994 Kyushu (1st)	2001 Kyushu (2nd)
4) Onishiki		41	1974 Kyushu (3rd)	1981 Aki (4th)
5) Aminishiki		39	2009 Natsu (7th)	2016 Hatsu (8th)
6) Jingaku		38	1984 Aki (1st)		1991 Hatsu (2nd)
7) Dewanohana		36	1979 Aki (1st)		1985 Aki (2nd)
=) Akinoshima		36	1993 Nagoya (15th)	1999 Nagoya (16th)
9) Arase		35	1974 Haru (1st)		1980 Hatsu (2nd)
10) Nayoroiwa		33	1938 Hatsu (1st)	1952 Aki (2nd)
=) Wakachichibu		33	1959 Hatsu (1st)	1964 Nagoya (2nd)
=) Tochinowaka		33	1991 Nagoya (3rd)	1997 Hatsu (4th)

- At 37 years, 3 months, he is the 5th oldest rikishi to score a kinboshi

1) Oshio Seijiro	39 years, 5 months, 6 days
2) Kitanonada		38 years, 3 months, 8 days
3) Nayoroiwa		37 years, 11 months, 29 days
4) Dewanishiki		37 years, 7 months, 26 days
5) Aminishiki		37 years, 3 months, 9 days

- Beating Kakuryu means he has scored kinboshi from all Yokozuna he has faced: Takanohana, Musashimaru, Asashoryu, Hakuho, Kakuryu

It's really a shame that Harumafuji is in the same heya, I'm sure by now Aminishiki would have capitalised on his generosity and joined the exclusive club of six rikishi to have won kinboshi from six different Yokozuna.

• Like 12

-In my opinion Terunofuji needs to sharpen up if he's to be promoted to yokozuna. It seems to me like every other match an opponent gets an advantageous grip on him, and while he regularly manhandles his way to wins in these situations I think holes like that are making it an uphill battle for him to gain promotion. Obviously the knee is an issue, but this has been happening even before the injury.

-As for Endo, who once again loses to Gaga, he did manage to go 14-1 at juryo in his third basho, get 9 wins in his makuuchi debut, and win a kanto-sho two tournaments after that, so he started brightly. Mitakeumi and Shodai are the ones to watch now, but it's important to keep Endo's early success in mind when considering their prospects--at the same point in his career he was arguably outperforming them.

-Takekaze scored my favorite win of the day, steamrolling Chiyotairyu so easily that it was humorous.

-Despite being 0-3 Takarfuji has fought hard and performed respectably

Edited by Kotooshu's Revenge

In my opinion Terunofuji needs to sharpen up if he's to be promoted to yokozuna. It seems to me like every other match an opponent gets an advantageous grip on him, and while he regularly manhandles his way to wins in these situations I think holes like that are making it an uphill battle for him to gain promotion. Obviously the knee is an issue, but this has been happening even before the injury.

As for Endo, he did manage to go 14-1 at juryo in his third basho, get 9 wins in his makuuchi debut, and win a kanto-sho two torunaments after that, so he started brightly. Mitakeumi and Shodai are the ones to watch now, but it's important to keep Endo's early success in mind when considering their prospects.

He does tend to muscle people about and win on pure strength at disadvantagous positions. He has the potential, and certainly he has the right people around him. But he does need to do some thinking about his sumo.

• Like 1

The tenran-zumo on day 1 was the 4th in a row when the imperial spectators only were there for the 2nd half of makuuchi. The last one with the special gozen-gakari dohyo-iri was Hatsu 2007 day 13. This time was the 21st tenran-zumo of the Heisei era, the Showa tenno was 40 times at one of the main basho and watched on 11 times on other occasions. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/1590772.html

There is no need though for the tenno to be present to have the gozen-gakari dohyo-iri, if any one (usually with the crown prince) of the imperial family (or visiting royalties and the like) watches, this type of dohyo-iri takes place:
200701195.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 7

Endo is popular because hes a good wrestler.... if you've watched more than 1 basho you would know that. Hes injured.

Endo is definitely really good. Hhis ability to widen his base of balance with his legwork compensates well for his smaller size. The problem is, his injury is taking that ability out, and it's unknown how long it'll be until he recovers, if at all. Either he toughs it out and is remains mediocre for a long time, or he has surgery an plunges down the banzuke, to work himself back up again. Either choice requires solid motivation.

If he was not injured, he would be a mid to upper makuuchi rikishi. But now he has to fight hard to keep his makuuchi status.

In my opinion Terunofuji needs to sharpen up if he's to be promoted to yokozuna. It seems to me like every other match an opponent gets an advantageous grip on him, and while he regularly manhandles his way to wins in these situations I think holes like that are making it an uphill battle for him to gain promotion. Obviously the knee is an issue, but this has been happening even before the injury.

As for Endo, he did manage to go 14-1 at juryo in his third basho, get 9 wins in his makuuchi debut, and win a kanto-sho two torunaments after that, so he started brightly. Mitakeumi and Shodai are the ones to watch now, but it's important to keep Endo's early success in mind when considering their prospects.

He does tend to muscle people about and win on pure strength at disadvantagous positions. He has the potential, and certainly he has the right people around him. But he does need to do some thinking about his sumo.

He looks very powerful, but to rely on power alone is a recipe for injury. Allowing his opponent to get a good grip that requires brute force to break is not good sumo imho.

GO ICHINOJO!!! Faith Manages........

IS THAT A BABYLON 5 QUOTE? :-D

• Like 1

GO ICHINOJO!!! Faith Manages........

IS THAT A BABYLON 5 QUOTE? :-D

To answer that, I would have to ask you: "What do you Want?" ;-)

Hes popular with the ladies because hes good looking too. And M1 at that age is a big deal...

Mm. Yeah, I looked into Endou's performance history and saw there was a time when he was doing much better than he has been lately. I was watching sumo back then, but more casually than now and I didn't know where to get full coverage. So, when I said that I never saw what he did to make himself so popular, it's because...I never did. And so the mystery is solved. :-P

He torn an ALC and has just been 'ganbarizing' through it which I think doesn't work at this level of sport. Its kind of frustrating in a way.

• Like 1

Hakuho is going to kill a spectator with his nonsense.

I don't think it was deliberate. He was doing that squat he normally does after a yorikiri that looks like he's actively trying to prevent what happened there, but he was slightly overbalanced and Shohozan grabbed him instinctively as he moved backwards and,well, BLOMP.

I think Aminishiki managed to do to Kakuryu what he'd tried to do to Hakuho the day before. Hakuho was much too quick, but Kakuryu was really slow off the mark and got done.

Ura had a very exciting match today on his way to 2-0. Looking to try and break into the sekitori ranks this basho if he scores high enough.

Hakuho doing right sidestep again, is he favoring either of his leg by not taking the opponent charge head on?

Or is that his new tachiai strategy to get to the side of his opponent?

Maybe practicing a new counter tachiai to use on Harumafuji?

Edited by rhyen

Second day in a row that Tochinoshin's mawashi has been super loose and provided no purchase for his opponents when they have grabbed it.

• Like 1

If he was not injured, he would be a mid to upper makuuchi rikishi. But now he has to fight hard to keep his makuuchi status.

If he was not injured, he’d be in san’yaku at least. Alas… Edited by ALAKTORN

-Yay Tochinoshin! I hope to see him as a sekiwake next basho.

-Mitakeumi's effectiveness goes down hugely when an opponent gets hold of him.

-Kotoshigiku's usually explosive tachiai looked more measured than usual today, which is probably a good thing against a frequent henka-er in Aminishiki.

-Anyone else notice what Hak did at the end of his bout? It was like 'I'll push you out softly my friend, oh but here's a little shove as a bonus'

Takayasu vs. Mitakeumi was like, "Ah, I like them both so it doesn't matter who wins." Not surprised Takayasu managed a victory, but Mitakeumi was in the match.

Kotoyuki, you could see when he went off-balance and I guess so could Toyonoshima.

Kisenosato vs. Tochinoshin was definitely my favorite match of the day. And Kisenosato is one of my pet rikishi (I like his composure and grump face), but I'm really happy to see Tochinoshin get a win. (Anyone have predictions for Tochinoshin's record this basho?)

Terunofuji not looking too sharp today, but manages a win regardless. The way he can manhandle a big S.O.B. like Aoiyama...you see how Teru swung Aoi to one side by the arm, there? I think of Aoiyama were about a hundred pounds lighter, he would have been flung into low orbit.

Aminishiki trying that same move he tried on Hakuho, and with the same result. Aww.

(Anyone have predictions for Tochinoshin's record this basho?)

Before the basho, either 7 or 8 wins, leaning towards 7. Now, most likely 8 and maybe 9. Of course, that's just an average figure, and reality may diverge from averages quite often.

• Like 1

(Anyone have predictions for Tochinoshin's record this basho?)

Before the basho, either 7 or 8 wins, leaning towards 7. Now, most likely 8 and maybe 9. Of course, that's just an average figure, and reality may diverge from averages quite often.

Thank you kindly.

Ura had a very exciting match today on his way to 2-0. Looking to try and break into the sekitori ranks this basho if he scores high enough.

Just caught his most recent bout--he's definitely fun to watch and he impressed me with his heart in his playoff loss to Shiba.His balance seems very good and at this level he's able to use his lack of height as a strength, getting so low that opponents have trouble defending. Would a juryo promotion from his current rank pretty much require a 7-0?

On another note, I like the fighting spirit of J3 Kitaharima. Not doing so well this basho but I admire the way he takes the fight to larger opponents.

Edited by Kotooshu's Revenge

Would a juryo promotion from his current rank pretty much require a 7-0?

Most likely but not necessarily.

According to

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=Ms8&form1_wins=6

since 1974, 3 out of 27 were promoted to juryo from Ms8 with a 6-1 record

If he gets quite a lot of banzuke luck, he would be possible

• Like 1