Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Basho Talk - Hatsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Kotoshogiku already beat Kise, so I'd think that he'd get Goeido, Harumafuji, Tochiozan, and a maegashira. In this form I'd expect him to win at least 3 of those and it's not like 4-0 would be a shock, but then again form can drop quickly.

Edited by Kotooshu's Revenge
  • Like 1

Every time a healthy Hakuho is in a basho, it seems the big suspense is "Can someone actually beat Hakuho to open up the POSSIBILITY of someone else winning it?"

• Like 1

Every time a healthy Hakuho is in a basho, it seems the big suspense is "Can someone actually beat Hakuho to open up the POSSIBILITY of someone else winning it?"

I know what you mean, but I like the implication that there's more than one Hakuho - like, if the current one gets injured, they toss it and pull a fresh one from the freezer.

I think Hakuho is simply too astute to be bumpety-bumped to a loss. Giku is doing very well this basho, but Hak has a bigger arsenal and is more difficult to read. He will be determined to get the lead. But so is Giku. I wish I could see their match live!

I recall years ago when Hakuho went through his phase where he forgot how to lose, during one tournament it seemed that his kimarite of choice was whatever his opponent was normally considered good at. He power-threw Baruto, he bumpety-bumped Kotoshogiku out as if to say, "See, I'm better than everyone." And considering he lost, like, 4 matches that entire year, it was a pretty compelling argument.

• Like 2

Man, Arawashi actually looks like a sumo wrestler now. When he first made juryo, he looked like a salary man that accidentally wandered onto the dohyo.

• Like 1

Also, the biggest disappointment for me so far this tournament is Osunaarashi. He's wrestling like he didn't even show up.

• Like 1

Watching the NHK broadcast and they showed previous Hakuho vs Kotoshogiku matches. What I noticed is when Hakuho would win, there are quite a few times where Giku is doing good but let's Hakuho breath a little, and that is Giku's undoing. The matches Giku has won, he has never eased the gas in pressuring Hakuho. If he can keep that up then he has a chance of beating him. He also has to watch out because Hakuho will get tricky at the edge too.

• Like 1

Goeido is going to be kadoban at the next tournament, 4-7 and yet to meet Hakuho or Kotoshogiku.

Goeido is going to be kadoban at the next tournament, 4-7 and yet to meet Hakuho or Kotoshogiku.

Hakuho tomorrow.

well, what do you know?

hug 'n' chug still chugging

• Like 1

That's one big test but there's still four more. Harumafuji, Kakuryu, Goeido, and not messing up against whatever maegashira he's got to go against.

That's one big test but there's still four more. Harumafuji, Kakuryu, Goeido, and not messing up against whatever maegashira he's got to go against.

He has already beaten Kakuryu.

Kotoshogiku should beat Tochiozan & Goeido & the maegashira in his current form.

Will Harumafuji come out with his trademark hit and reach for your back pocket?

He has already beaten Kakuryu.

Aww see I'm so excited I can't type and mess up names.

• Like 1

And burning question right now would be which maegashira is sent up to face Kotoshogiku.

M3e Ichinojo (1-10) should be a no-no unless they say shoganai,

M4e Kyokushusho(4-7) may have gotten MK by then

M4w Kotoyuki (6-5) is his stablemate, so they cannot meet.

M5w Sokokurai (6-5) seems to a somewhat safe choice.

I think they might want to put him up against Kyokushuho/Sokokurai.

If they reach further down to M6w Okinoumi (8-3), M7e Toyonoshima (9-2), or even M8w Takayasu (9-2). Will any of these 3 fight hard at all if the Sanyaku spots get filled up by then?

And burning question right now would be which maegashira is sent up to face Kotoshogiku.

M3e Ichinojo (1-10) should be a no-no unless they say shoganai,

M4e Kyokushusho(4-7) may have gotten MK by then

M4w Kotoyuki (6-5) is his stablemate, so they cannot meet.

M5w Sokokurai (6-5) seems to a somewhat safe choice.

I think they might want to put him up against Kyokushuho/Sokokurai.

If they reach further down to M6w Okinoumi (8-3), M7e Toyonoshima (9-2), or even M8w Takayasu (9-2). Will any of these 3 fight hard at all if the Sanyaku spots get filled up by then?

Depends how the 9-2 rikishi keep doing. I would go for Toyonoshima.

Mind you, Toyonoshima is Kotoshogiku's high school rival and good friend.

And he was actively rooting for him in an earlier KK interview.

No matter how you look at it, even if Harumafuji beats Kotoshogiku tomorrow,

the title is as good as being in Kotoshogiku's hands. His slate is easier than either of the 2 Yokozunas (who will probably spoil each other, if Kise or Kakuryu don't hand them a second loss even earlier).

Edited by rhyen
  • Like 2

It seems to me like its up to Harumafuji to choose who to give the yusho to, again.

Why not see it as Koyoshogiku grabbing his Yusho? I doubt Harumafuji is the only kingmaker in this scenario, looking at Day 13-15 match ups.