Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Basho Talk - Hatsu Basho 2016 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Day 8. Hakuho is a jerk.

Amen!

Awww, look. M-3 found a choir to preach to... :-/

• Like 3

Just waiting to hear from Hakkkkkaku and his minions Fujishima, Isegahama, and Izutsu about how Hakuho should face his opponents head on like a yokozuna

for those of you who want to rewatch the whole Hakuho thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCMG5T95x90

I still maintain that if you don't want to be henka'd you might try LOOKING AT YOUR OPPONENT.

Tochiozan has always looked down and hence he's pretty easy to henka. Of course that doesn't excuse Hakuho for doing it; evidently he just enjoys screwing around with him.

It seems Tochi did not care what his opponent was doing but just kept low and rushed forward......

• Like 1

Just waiting to hear from Hakkkkkaku and his minions Fujishima, Isegahama, and Izutsu about how Hakuho should face his opponents head on like a yokozuna

Yokozuna is nothing else but a rikishi and he has every right to win the bout. It seems some people will be satisfied only if he lose......

Yokozuna is nothing else but a rikishi and he has every right to win the bout. It seems some people will be satisfied only if he lose......

Big bird has spoken.

Hakuho's henka is all about that hand in the face. It makes the opponent thinking of a frontal impact, and he has to close the eyes too. A great henka indeed, even if I don't expect Hakuho doing so. He needs to fight till Tokyo Olympics, will he end his career as Aminiski?

Day 8. Hakuho is a jerk.

Amen!

Awww, look. M-3 found a choir to preach to... :-/

Indeed! And don't forget, the overwhelming majority of Japanese people (99.9% of worldwide sumo fans) agree with me too! ;)

Hakuho insists it wasn't a henka, rather that the outcome of the match was decided when he put his hand on Tochiozan's face.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1593889.html

Is this some kind of Jedi mind trick? "This is not the henka you're looking for".

"You are not to look at what I'm doing"

-"I am not to look at what you're doing"

"You are to fall headfirst into the West-side shimpan and go home rethink your life"

-"I am to fall headfirst into the West-side shimpan and go home rethink my life"
Edited by McBugger
  • Like 5

As I watched the manoeuvre, especially in slo-mo, and given previous escapades into what is considered yokozuna unorthodoxy from Hakuho, it keeps me wondering - is he mentoring other rikishi in the 'guys, you can live up to your potential, don't fall for that' way or is he simply enjoying himself after all the achievements?

Inosuke apologized to the riji-cho (without - as it is custom - offering his resignation) and was cautioned, head shimpan for the bout Fujishima accompanied him. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1593909.html

Sokokurai and Ichinojo were officially called and mildly cautioned by chief shimpan Isegehama after the bout, as is obligatory for 3 matta. It weren't matta by the rikishi though, only gyoji matta because they weren't in sync at the tachi-ai, in one breath, as is demanded of them just like hands down. One time of that it wasn't even necessary to stop, so it was more an explanation than a cautioning. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1593899.html

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me what the shimpan said about the decision to reverse Satoyama-Seiro?

Edited by Kotooshu's Revenge
  • Like 1

Can anyone tell me what the shimpan said about the decision to reverse Satoyama-Seiro?

Hair pull (Magenage) disqualification early in the match.
  • Like 3

For a 54 year old man, Izutsu looks very frail and more like 94. Is he ill?

Anyone seen Olympic jiji? I met him in May but he is pretty old...

As in on the broadcast? I'm pretty sure I've seen him there most every day this basho.

Hoping Harumafuji throws Kotoyuki a massive -nage of some kind, Kotoyuki rolls beautifully across the dohyo, lands on Hakuho.

Comedy prediction for yusho: Kotoshigiku defeated by all yokozuna; Kakuryu defeats Harumafuji and both get Hakuho. Takayasu sneaks in for yusho to Kisenosato's eternal annoyance. Tagoroura oyakata gets a yusho winning rikishi - just not the one he was expecting.

Oh I see him outside too, he's still alive! He was so nice to me, his friends were funny too.

tumblr_o15gudiOX01u5omb7o2_400.jpg

• Like 4

He seems to be a little bit less animated than usual this basho, but maybe that's the cold?

Regards Hakuho, it may be a henka, but it was a masterful one. He didn't move until Tochiozan shut his eyes in reaction to the hand in his face.

• Like 1

Just another day down in Jonidania today: a rare and hefty nichonage - shortly after a also rare tsutaezori.

Nichonage can be seen via the link to the SumoDB. Can anyone provide footage of the tsutaezori?

• Like 1

He seems to be a little bit less animated than usual this basho, but maybe that's the cold?

Maybe it's the old? I googled a bit and he hopefully will be 90 years old in April.

• Like 2

In a case like Satoyama-Seiro, where the gyoji gives the win to Seiro but then the win is awarded to Satoyama because Seiro committed a fault, is this still considered a sashichigae (wrong decision) by the gyoji? Also, if the gyoji clearly saw a hair pull during the match (or some other rule violation) could he have awarded the bout to Satoyama on his own?

tumblr_o15gudiOX01u5omb7o2_400.jpg

Oh I see him outside too, he's still alive! He was so nice to me, his friends were funny too.

It's great to see such spirit and spunk in this gentleman. He's found something that keeps him happy and not necessarily allow a longer life, but a more satisfying and increased quality of life. Gives me some hope for the future and getting old.

• Like 1

In a case like Satoyama-Seiro, where the gyoji gives the win to Seiro but then the win is awarded to Satoyama because Seiro committed a fault, is this still considered a sashichigae (wrong decision) by the gyoji? Also, if the gyoji clearly saw a hair pull during the match (or some other rule violation) could he have awarded the bout to Satoyama on his own?

I actually addressed this in the below thread:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34923

Watch the shimpan during the match. They exchange looks and agree that the hair pull has occurred. At the end, the gyoji also agrees with them before the monoii starts. Normally, only the shimpan will declare a hansoku, and then only if the offender would have won the match