Akinomaki

Akebono gravely ill (activities thread)

11 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Unfortunately, the website of his pro wrestling org no longer exists.

If the Cagematch pro-wrestling database is to be believed, that show in August drew an audience of only 239, so they probably decided it's no use to keep promoting unless Akebono is actually able to compete himself. Of course, that may also indicate that he's not expected to be back in action anytime soon either...

Finally some news. He is undergoing rehabilitation in a hospital. He has been hospitalized since April and at some point his life was in danger and he could not get out of bed. He started rehabilitation in October and now can move his wheelchair on his own for ten meters (it takes him thirty seconds), but still has a long way to go on the road to full recovery. What's driving him is his desire to enter the ring again.  Surrounded by two physiotherapists, his wife and his two boys (14 and 17), he made his way to the hospital recreation room for an interview. "I can't enter the ring and that doesn't let me sleep at night..I've got to get back to work, to Pro-wrestling!" he said.No talk of retiring. His speech is not as smooth as in the past, but he spoke slowly and clearly. On April 12th, he was hospitalized after feeling bad for a few days. He suffered from acute heart failure. He also caught another infection and his situation was grave, losing consciousness at some point. The situation was so severe that the family was ready for the worst, but he somehow got over it. He now weighs 150 kilos, down from around 210.

This is heartbreaking.

201803090000118-w500_0.jpg

201803090000130-w300_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 2

Here's hoping that he can continue to make a full recovery.

Swami

Akebono also spoke of sumo's current situation. "I follow sumo closely. All of today's guys think they are number 1. It's not only about them-I wish they would all get along. I also hope Takanohana succeeds in achieving what he set out to achieve. Sumo starts on March 11th. Haru is Akebono!!" he said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sumo legend Akebono in the middle of his biggest battle yet

Twenty five years ago, amid falling snowflakes and a crowd gathered to watch the ritual ceremonies at the Meiji Shrine, Chad Rowan strode powerfully into sumo history as the sport’s first foreign-born grand champion.

These days the immediate challenge for the 6-foot, 8-inch Rowan is to rise from his wheelchair and walk, unaided, again.

Behind the doors of a rehabilitation facility in the Tokyo area, the man who competed for 13 years as Akebono works to regain mobility a year after suffering acute heart failure.

He remains proud and determined as he prepares to celebrate his 49th birthday Tuesday, family and friends say.

Few outside his immediate family (wife Christine, daughter Caitlyn, 20, and sons Cody, 17, and Connor, 14) have visited him so private and so intent is the Kaiser High graduate from Waimanalo on not being seen in public until he regains his strength.

“He’s been an athlete all his life and still has that pride,” said Christine, the family spokesperson. “He has come a long way.”

Continued

• Thanks 6

From the same article mentioned by Otokonoyama above: 

When Akebono was in a coma last year, Musashimaru was hospitalized in Tokyo. Musashimaru fell ill during a golf outing in Nara. He then received a kidney transplant from his wife, Masami, a former hula instructor.

“I feel good and the doctors say I’m doing well,” said Musashimaru, who turned 47 Wednesday. “Thanks to my wife.”

When the May tournament in Tokyo concludes he says he will resume “house shopping for a bigger place.”

He currently has a three-story building in the Edogawa section of Tokyo where he, his wife and 3-year-old son Joey live upstairs and a growing stable of apprentice wrestlers live and train on the lower floors.

With 19 fledgling sumotori, including nephew Mamo, a makushita-division wrestler who is the ranking sumotori in the stable, “I need a bigger place if I’m going to bring in some more guys.”

It is amazing that Musashimaru has been this successful at recruiting. He has surprised me several times since he retired as a rikishi. I hope he keeps on surprising me. Maybe the next surprise will be a sekitori. :) 

• Thanks 1

Ex pro-wrestler Shinjiro Ootani came to visit Akebono. "The pro-wrestling world and the fans love the Yokozuna and hope he gets well soon," he said. "I will get well soon!! Please convey this to the fans," promised Akebono.

DgNRasRVAAISS3X.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Today a short report on Akebono since June 8th is on TBS - from 210kg to 140kg - 20:54h JST - The in-nen http://www.tbs.co.jp/program/theinnen_20180928.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm7k-OgTlqE&t=36s

20180928s00041000125000p_view.jpg

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20180926-OHT1T50197.html

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2018/09/28/gazo/20180928s00041000125000p.html

It's a visit in the hospital by Waka

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Miomio link starting at 36:33 --  http://www.miomio.tv/watch/cc400038/
Edited version of just Akebono/Wakanohana --  https://youtu.be/5t75EPntdbM

The beginning of the program was upsetting to watch with the state Akebono is in, but ends with a nice surprise.  Akebono spent 37 minutes in cardiopulmonary arrest and was fighting for his life.  Rehabilitation, dementia like memory loss, his family all seen during the 23 minute segment.  Moto Wakanohana came for a visit where Akebono instantly remembered him.

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 4

This is harrowing stuff to watch. I got pretty weepy at the Wakanohana reunion, but the overall effect is just devastating. 

I wish, with all my heart, that he will get through this and find himself restored to a more normal life. 

Edited by Shio-kago
  • Like 1

So sad to see the big man reduced to this. I can't begin to imagine how he must feel, but the reunion perked him up to no end, and I hope he will get many more visits that can make him smile like that.

• Like 1

With a recap of Heisei, Akebono got a series in Hochi - and recent pics are shown as well

with the (now Hochi) Ozumo Journal after his rival Taka joint him in leaving the NSK

20190101-OHT1I50054-L.jpgo

He watched Taka's announcement from his sickbed: "The poor guy"

And a bright comment: "I want to help at the Olympics/PL. I want to work together with Wakanohana-san and Takanohana-san."

With wife and 2 sons - 18&15 - the eldest daughter (20) studies in Hawaii   o 

20190101-OHT1I50044-L.jpg

After being down to 130kg, he's now at 150kg. His memories of pro-wrestling are gone, but those of sumo are still alive.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

His memories of pro-wrestling are gone, but those of sumo are still alive.

As in he literally cannot remember his time in pro wrestling? :-(

20 minutes ago, Kyokufuji said:

As in he literally cannot remember his time in pro wrestling? :-(

I'm afraid so, memory disorder is one thing he has to cope with now.

• Sad 2

Well I'm glad it's not the other way around as I imagine his memories of sumo are much happier ones.

Edited by ryafuji
  • Like 1

Wow, a lot has happened in the years that I have been away from following sumo. This is so sad to see, but the meeting with Wakanohana was really heart-warming. Akebono's speech seemed to improve, he had humour, and he certainly got some of his "spark" back. 

Unfortunately the video from January this year that Otokonoyama posted is not available - for anyone who watched it, can you give a brief synopsis?

On 01/05/2020 at 22:07, Sasanishiki said:

Unfortunately the video from January this year that Otokonoyama posted is not available - for anyone who watched it, can you give a brief synopsis?

If I recall correctly, it was a news show segment on Akebono and his situation. Showed clips of him in sumo and pro wrestling as well as clips of him in the hospital more or less out of it. 

• Thanks 1

Any updates on how Akebono is doing now? Wishing him all the best for a good recovery.