Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kensho for Hatsu16

The usual prospect: the most ever kensho next basho. So far it was Aki last year, which failed to reach the expected 2000 because of Hakuho's kyujo, but still managed to have again the most: 1979 kensho.
This time again about 2000 are the outlook. 8 new sponsor applications, among them the Nagano bank with one kensho each for all days for Mitakeumi (his first fixed kensho), who's from Nagano pref., and the city of Itoigawa in Niigata for Hakuho. They have strong connections with sumo, especially the jungyo, but it is rare for a municipality to place kensho.
The responsible NSK person: "It would be great if that spreads, for support of local rikishi etc."
http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1589593.html
http://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/nagano/20160108/KT160107FTI090002000.php
The new kensho banner from the Nagano bank
IP160107TAN000142000.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 6

A city placing a kensho? That sounds very strange. That's not to say that I haven't seen cities advertise here in the US, mainly lesser-known ones about their tourist attractions (although it's usually states, not cities), so I guess it's not unheard of.

The banner's right column confuses me a little. I think it's naga from the first kanji of Nagano, then gin from the kanji for silver in the word for bank, and then riisu is "lease". Is this I guess some sort of abbreviation for Nagano Bank Lease, where the hiragana is used from the first kanji in both words instead of the kanji because the meaning of the kanji is not appropriate if just the first kanji of both words were used? I suppose they don't want people to think that it means "Long Silver Lease", instead just pronouncing the hiragana and realizing it's an abbreviation for Nagano Bank, and is how they're branding whatever that kind of lease is for. The left column is just "Nagano Card" I assume.

A city placing a kensho? That sounds very strange. That's not to say that I haven't seen cities advertise here in the US, mainly lesser-known ones about their tourist attractions (although it's usually states, not cities), so I guess it's not unheard of.

The banner's right column confuses me a little. I think it's naga from the first kanji of Nagano, then gin from the kanji for silver in the word for bank, and then riisu is "lease". Is this I guess some sort of abbreviation for Nagano Bank Lease, where the hiragana is used from the first kanji in both words instead of the kanji because the meaning of the kanji is not appropriate if just the first kanji of both words were used? I suppose they don't want people to think that it means "Long Silver Lease", instead just pronouncing the hiragana and realizing it's an abbreviation for Nagano Bank, and is how they're branding whatever that kind of lease is for. The left column is just "Nagano Card" I assume.

Yeah, it's probably just a "cute" product name for their lease product. Nagagin does come from Nagano Ginko indeed, it's quite common in Japan to abbreviate many things by combining the first syllables of long words or two-worded phrases. Sometimes businesses just appropriate that practice for their own purposes.

• Like 1

Doesn't the Hatsu basho have a higher kensho limit than the other honbasho? I remember something of the sort but I can't put my finger on what exactly it was.

The maximum of kensho per bout used to be 51. Last year they raised the bar during hatsu-basho to 61, because of the high demand of the sponsors. The senshuraku-bout between Hakuho and Kakuryu thus had 61 Kensho.

This raised maximum is valid for all bouts of all tournaments. The bout between Kakuryu and Terunofuji on senshuraku at the Aki-Basho last year also had 61 kensho.

As every tournament the daily top 10 kensho ranking taken from Nikkansports:

Day 1:

1. Harumafuji 35
2. Hakuho 33
3. Aminishiki 17
4. Kakuryu 15
5. Amuru 13
6. Kotoshogiku 11
7. Terunofuji 9
8. Kitataiki 6
9. Goeido 5
10 Kotoyuki 4
10 Takayasu 4

• Like 3

Day 2:

1. Hakuho 68
2. Harumafuji 35
3. Kakuryu 31
4. Kotoshogiku 26
5. Terunofuji 20
6. Amininishiki 17
6. Mitakeumi 17
8. Goeido 14
9. Amuru 13
10 Kitataiki 12

• Like 3

Day 3:

1. Hakuho 85
2. Aminishiki 44
3. Harumafuji 40
4. Kotoshogiku 34
5. Kakuryu 31
6. Kisenosato 26
7. Terunofuji 20
8. Mitakeumi 19
9. Goeido 14
9. Gagamaru 14

Nice to see Aminishiki so high up on this list, and I think it's the first time I see Gagamaru among the top 10 Kensho earners. Well done.

• Like 3

I don't understand why Endo still has so much kensho but I guess the other rikishi won't complain!

I don't understand why Endo still has so much kensho but I guess the other rikishi won't complain!

sponsers, popularity...

Even if Endo is losing, the sponsors know that everybody will watch Endo. So if people who are watching Endo see what products are being advertised, and if said products get bought, then everybody wins out (the sponsors, Endo, or whoever beats Endo).

The Kyokai is minting the Endo dolls, which are selling like hotcakes.

So at least the sponsors can still gauge Endo's popularity among the general sumo fan populace.

Day 4:

1. Hakuho 104
2. Harumafuji 62
3. Aminishiki 44
4. kakuryu 42
5. Kotoshogiku 41
6. Terunofuji 28
7. Kisenosato 26
8. Goeido 19
8. Mitakeumi 19
10 Goeido 14

• Like 4

Day 5:

1. Hakuho 133
2. Harumafuji 72
3. Kotoshogiku 46
4. Aminishiki 44
5. Kakuryu 42
6. Kisenosato 37
7. Terunofuji 28
8. Goeido 19
8. Mitakeumi 19
10 Kitataiki 17

• Like 4

back to makuuchi Kitataiki (Tokyo shusshin) gets 5 from Wakasa Seikatsu (Youthful Life) - supplements -, 8 fixed in all, more than the 5 for local ozeki Goeido.

Last year Kitataiki was the one with the worst ratio of kensho/win, 13 925 yen, among those who had 6 basho in makuuchi.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1443284.html

Not that much fixed kensho at every basho, but behind king Endo he's the maegashira kensho prince. Edited by Akinomaki

Day 6:

1. Hakuho 151
2. Harumafuji 76
3. Kakuryu 64
4. Kotoshogiku 53
5. Kisenosato 46
6. Aminishiki 44
7. Terunofuji 28
8. Yoshikaze 20
9. Goeido 19
9. Mitakeumi 19

• Like 3

The usual prospect: the most ever kensho next basho. So far it was Aki last year, which failed to reach the expected 2000 because of Hakuho's kyujo, but still managed to have again the most: 1979 kensho.

The burst of the Endo kensho bubble now makes it next to impossible to reach that this time - nor anytime soon.

Next basho there will be no Endo in makuuchi and thus all those about 200 kensho will disappear.

If he'll have his injuries heal properly he can't be back this year. If he enters again before fully recovered he may never get back.

Just like Takamisakari lost his contract, Endo will likely not get that big packs again from Nagatanien when he is back.

Mitakeumi will surely profit from this, but I can't see him replace Endo as the kensho king.

The next to get that much may be Kotonowaka II (now Kotokamatani) - or with much more uncertainty Ura.

Of the 15 kensho for today with Kagayaki, 4 were redistributed to other torikumi, 11 from Nagatanien and others were withdrawn. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20160116/sum16011616430009-n1.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Day 7:

1. Hakuho 169
2. Harumafuji 109
3. Kakuryu 75
4. Kisenosato 67
5. Kotoshogiku 60
6. Aminishiki 44
7. Terunofuji 28
8. Yoshikaze 20
8. Kitataiki 20
10 Goeido 19
10 Mitakeumi 19

• Like 3

Just like Takamisakari lost his contract, Endo will likely not get that big packs again from Nagatanien when he is back.

Umm, Takamisakari never actually made it back to makuuchi, so who knows what Nagatani-en would have done?

Umm, Takamisakari never actually made it back to makuuchi, so who knows what Nagatani-en would have done?

Yeah, hopefully we will have the chance to see it this time. I'm always pleased when my negative predictions don't come true. Unfortunately and almost depressingly my positive predictions end up way off though usually (and in games all my predictions are worthless).

I hoped each time that my kyujo forecasts wouldn't come true ...