Sign in to follow this  
Kuroyama

Did I tell this guy the right thing?

As I occasionally do, I ran an Ebay search for sumo-related goods the other day and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Banzuke-Poster-Sumo-Wrestling-Poster-Ranking-For-May-1974-Tournament-/331717049100?hash=item4d3be07b0c:g:MqgAAOSwEetWAIeS

The seller did not know what it was, so I explained it to him. He updated the listing with my information, so it's occurred to me to wonder if I puzzled out the moon runes correctly or not. It seems to list Kitanoumi as east Ozeki, and based on the order of the other rikishi (I have no idea where to find the date on the thing) I took a stab that it was probably for Natsu, 1974. If so, this was the basho Kitanoumi won to begin his tsuna run.

So, can anyone tell me if I got that right? And I also wanted to mention it here in case it was of interest to someone, given recent sad events.

The seller is apparently Andy Adams' nephew, and this banzuke was from his collection. Unfortunately, he only has a couple of sumo-related items listed at the moment; most of it seems to be garage sale material.

Interestingly features a Komusubi with "hime" in his shikona, same kanji as was being discussed elsewhere.

The rest of the sanyaku check out. I checked Hasegawa's full record, the only other time he was Kw was in 1966 with a clearly different ensemble of the rest of them, so that's gotta be it.