Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Osunaarashi in 2016

The Sand Storm!  

23 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will be Osunaarashi's rank on the January 2017 banzuke?

• Yokozuna
    • Ozeki
    • Sekiwake
    • Komusubi
    • Joi-jin (M1-M5)
    • Mid Makunouchi (M6 - 10)
    • Lower Makunouchi (M11 - M18)
    • Juryo
    • Makushita or lower
  2. 2. How many kachi-koshi (8-7 or better) records will Osunaarashi get in 2016?

3. 3. What will be Osunaarashi's best MAKUNOUCHI result (not including bashos in Juryo or below) in 2016?

• 15-0
    • 14-1
    • 13-2
    • 12-3
    • 11-4
    • 10-5
    • 9-6
    • 8-7
    • 7-8
    • 6-9
    • 5-10
    • 4-11
    • 3-12
    • 2-13
    • 1-14
    • 0-15

How will Osunaarashi do in 2016?

Please leave a comment below, including your votes.

Please also predict the exact rank that he will be on the January 2017 banzuke.

Previous polls:-

Edited by Jejima

Another elevator year for him so 3 wins. If he can manage to stay relatively healthy, he'll probably make it to sanyaku finally, so I'll say K1w for next year, and a best result of 11-4.

Hoping he will stay out of injuries and work on his legpower I say

Sekiwake

4 KK

10-5

Injuries are the key here. He hurt his knee just jumping off the dohyo last time, which doesn't bode well. Still, he has a winning record against Harumafuji and has defeated Kakuryu too, so he can beat anyone not named Hakuho. Let's go with Komusubi, 3 kk (docking him one basho lost to injury in whole or part) and 11-4.

You can read the poll votes off the poll, why do you want everybody to comment with their votes.

Because I asked nicely?

The actual reason is it is much easier to see how people are thinking when they post their votes all together. Additionally, they often add interesting comments. Finally, it makes it much easier - and much quicker for me to see who was the best predictor at the end of the year.

• Like 1

He will be M2E in January 2017.

3KK with a 10-5 record at best.

Also I'm going to out on a limb and predict that he will get 3 kinboshi next year with at least one of them against Hakuho.

Reckon he'll be able to out-maneuver most of the ozekis by the end of 2016.

Saying 4 KK to allow for probable injury.

M1E

4 KK

10-5 best 2016 result

---

He has evolved from a ont-trick slapping pony to someone with more techniques, more speed, and solid belt sumo. He is still leaning and if he can avoid debilitating injury he could go a lot further than he already has.

Edit: Of course the Komosubi prediction was before the news that he opted for surgery and dropping out of the Hatsu basho (a wise decision imho). I like what I've seen so far. The operation and revalidation might delay his promotion into sanyaku but it will improve his chances in the long term. So I still think that he will attain double figure wins and 4 KK. Sanyaku may have to wait till 2017, but he will be back in the joi-jin.

Edited by orandashoho

I'm optimistically going for Sekiwake 1 East, with 5 KKs, the best one being an 11-5 in November 2016.

On hatsu 2017 banzuke : M4e (joi-jin)

3kk

12-3 as best result in lower makuuchi due to injury

Still some elevator action going on, and hedging due to potential injuries. Rooting for better, but:

Ke, 4KK, 12-4

Time to lock this poll - until the end of the year!

Nearly half of us think that Osunaarashi will start 2017 in the sanyaku (either komusubi or sekiwake).

Even with his first basho (January) heading towards an MK, thanks to his absence, over half of us think that he will get 4 KK bashos in 2016.

There is quite a range of predictions for his best record, from 9-6 to d_golem's 14-1, but most of us have plumped for either 11-4, or 10-5, both respectable records....

Thanks to Jakusotsu for re-opening this thread...

Doing a query on the Sumo Database would suggest that Osunaarashi's rank in January 2017 will be either lower Makunouchi (as predicted by Gernobono) or Juryo (as predicted by Tsubame).  Looking at the banzuke, I have a feeling that he is more likely to be kept in Juryo.

His record for the year was, M5E 0-0-15, J1E 13-2Y, M7W 9-6, M3E 0-1-14, J1W 6-8-1, J6E 9-4-2

So that is three KKs.... predicted by Krindel, Tenshinhan, WAKATAKE, Ayagawa and Nantonoyama.

His best record *in Makunouchi* was 9-6, as predicted by Tsubame and Kotononami.

If you look at Tsubame's post above, I think you can see why he is awarded the (Yushowinner...) for this poll.  

Omedetou!

• Like 1

Osunaarashi actually just snuck into Makunouchi at M17E - as predicted by Gernobono!