Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Juryo Promotions - 2016 Hatsu

Four promotions for the New Year, two newcomers, one new shikona, and two returnees.

Debut:

Tsurugisho - 剣翔, formerly Abiko (Mk1e, 5-2, Oitekaze-beya)

Chiyoshoma (Mk3w, 6-1, Kokonoe)

Returning:

Dewahayate (Mk4e, 4-3, Dewanoumi)

Chiyonokuni (Mk4w, 5-2, Kokonoe)

I'm glad Abiko has finally sealed the deal. Shotenro gets the short end of the stick this time.

• Like 3

And poor Wakanoshima doesn't get the same treatment as Tamaasuka last time.

The Kyokai aren't known for their consistency. I think they do things differently from time to time just to show people that they can and that no one can do anything about it.

• Like 2

As mentioned in the banzuke thread I'm not too surprised that they're dropping Wakanoshima, but - Dewahayate, wow. They really like to draw a big fat line between Ms5 and Ms6, don't they?

And Shotenro might not even be getting the top spot on the next banzuke given that Wakanoshima is coming down...

Not a Daisho* shikona for Abiko.

The Kyokai aren't known for their consistency. I think they do things differently from time to time just to show people that they can and that no one can do anything about it.

And additionally Tamaasuka maybe had some kind of bonus because of his longer sekitori career.

As mentioned in the banzuke thread I'm not too surprised that they're dropping Wakanoshima, but - Dewahayate, wow. They really like to draw a big fat line between Ms5 and Ms6, don't they?

And Shotenro might not even be getting the top spot on the next banzuke given that Wakanoshima is coming down...

Not a Daisho* shikona for Abiko.

It's not a line, just a massive fall-off; recall Ishiura promoted after Hatsu over 4-3 Ms5e. So the combination of those two would suggest (if we discount what I mentioned in my last post) that a 6-1 Ms6 falls somewhere in between, and it would make sense that they're saying one more win is only worth one more rank (even though it's worth two as sekitori, and should go up as the ranks go down).

Looking at the rest of Oitekaze-beya, I guess it is odd that Abiko would take a shikona not starting with Daisho-, even if they aren't as well known about it from my view as Sadogatake and Kokonoe's prefixes. They probably just aren't as strict about it, letting Endo keep his family name forever and Daieisho getting to rearrange the order of the syllables.

It's not a line, just a massive fall-off; recall Ishiura promoted after Hatsu over 4-3 Ms5e. So the combination of those two would suggest (if we discount what I mentioned in my last post) that a 6-1 Ms6 falls somewhere in between, and it would make sense that they're saying one more win is only worth one more rank (even though it's worth two as sekitori, and should go up as the ranks go down).

Well yes. :-) I actually have a collection of all the close decisions from the last few decades, and they're fairly consistent that e.g. Ms5e 4-3 = Ms6e 5-2 = Ms7e 6-1, so Ishiura was inside of it (three half-ranks) and Shotenro outside (five). It's just rather weird to see the current committee stick to it because they've vastly reduced the value of 4-3's everywhere else in makushita. Within the top 5 ranks four half-ranks is pretty much equal to a difference of only one win, not two. Edited by Asashosakari

Yes, yes, yes, Chiyoshoma. So happy for him. One more on the list ;-)

11990630_1071278566229203_54491367313449

• Like 1

Four promotions for the New Year, two newcomers, one new shikona, and two returnees.

Debut:

Tsurugisho - 剣翔, formerly Abiko (Mk1e, 5-2, Oitekaze-beya)

I had hoped he would be Kensho when I first saw the new shikona.

• Like 3

Looking at the rest of Oitekaze-beya, I guess it is odd that Abiko would take a shikona not starting with Daisho-, even if they aren't as well known about it from my view as Sadogatake and Kokonoe's prefixes. They probably just aren't as strict about it, letting Endo keep his family name forever and Daieisho getting to rearrange the order of the syllables.

Seems to be not unusual at Oitekaze to start off with their real family names. Besides Endo and Abiko currently there's also Iwasaki (Ms 37w) still with his family name. Seems that in these cases they get a proper shikona on Juryo promotion at the latest. I think Endo was just pure accident (and probably considered a mistake behind the scenes). He got his promotion on his second turnament. Apparently too quick for his shisho to find a proper shikona.

I was curious and quickly went through some beyas to watch out for traditional shikona prefixes (and suffixes). This is what I got so far:

Kokonoe: Chiyo* (千代)

Sadogatake: Koto* (琴)

Oitekaze: Daisho* (大翔)

Kasugano: Tochi* (栃)

Takanohana: Taka* (貴)

Isegahama: *fuji (富士)

Oguruma: *kaze (風)

Tomozuna: Kyoku* (旭) / Kai* (魁) The two prefixes are the result of a merger?

Are there more regular prefixes and suffixes?

• Like 1

Tomozuna: Kyoku* (旭) / Kai* (魁) The two prefixes are the result of a merger?

Are there more regular prefixes and suffixes?

Yes, I think that Kyoku/Asahi (旭) was a traditional element of Oshima-beya shikonas.

Other than that, more and more Shikihide-beya rikishi are getting the -zakura (桜) suffix recently.

Takasago-beya rikishi often get the Asa- (朝) prefix.

Kataonami-beya uses the Tama- (玉) prefix.

Tamanoi-beya uses azuma (東) either as a prefix or a suffix.

Minato-beya - minato (湊) as prefix/suffix

Kasugayama - kasuga (春日) as prefix/suffix

Chiganoura - Masu (舛) as prefix

Dewanoumi - Dewa (出羽) as prefix

Hakkaku - Hokuto (北勝) as prefix

Irumagawa - tsukasa (司) as suffix

Michinoku - Kiri (霧) as prefix

Sakaigawa - Sada (佐田) as prefix

I think that's it.

Edited by Senkoho
  • Like 1

Abiko had wished to have a shikona easy to remember with just 2 kanji and proposed to use the kanji Ken from his first name Kentaro, going with just the -sho- from the heya's traditional Daisho- prefix. Alas, he had to change the reading to Tsurugi (no shikona ever had -kensho- anywhere in it). And the first name he uses is Momotaro, those around him recommended it, but it looks like he opted for it then as well.

The oyakata, who apparently had surprisingly little saying in those selections, commented though: "I want him to attract attention for his sumo, not for the name."

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20151125-OHT1T50097.html

Goes well with Osunaarashi's Kintaro.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

It's good to know that others have noticed this and it's not just me. It really is obviously unfair to promote Dewahayate to Juryo instead of Shotenro. I have nothing against Dewahayate. It's just simply that 1 additional win in Makushita is worth at least twice as much as it's worth in Makuuchi, because there are more rikishi in Makushita, and because the Makushita rikishi have only 7 matches per basho instead of the 15 in the top division. In addition, Shotenro scored 2 more wins than Dewahayate. The Japan Sumo Association's choice is perplexing.

Seems to be not unusual at Oitekaze to start off with their real family names.

I think this rule applies not to Oitekaze, but to University rikishi at large. Kise-beya, for instance, has many with Uni. background almost all of them went by their family names in the beginning.

• Like 1

And poor Wakanoshima doesn't get the same treatment as Tamaasuka last time.

Meanwhile up in Makuuchi, Sadanofuji might not be too amused about that....

• Like 1

Another sekitori for Oitekaze-beya:
Very happy Tsurugisho, former Abiko, with a very happy oyakata (ex-Daishoyama)
iza-bt-151125-02-w500_0.jpg
maybe not that happy about the (full) shikona Tsurugisho (Momotaro)
001.jpg

G20151125011574840_view.jpg

exe1511260640004-l1.jpg
2 years to sekitori? + 2 kanji in the shikona? - it really looks like he likes to attract attention
20151125-OHT1I50061-L.jpg

Happy Chiyoshoma with a slightly happy Kokonoe
001.jpg
he's looking much older and weaker than in Taiwan and at the boxing match recently
20151125-OHT1I50031-L.jpg

96958A9E81818A99E1E2E2E7EA8DE0E7E3E3E0E2

20151125-OHT1I50032-L.jpg

f-nsp151125_chiyo-w500_0.jpg

001.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

Judging from the pictures I guess its Chiyotsurugisho? thats what the kanji says.

No. As Akinomaki already wrote between pictures it's Chiyoshoma.

The stable ranking for Juryo reads from left to right: Chiyonokuni, Chiyoshoma, Chiyomaru, and Chiyoo.

Edited by torquato

Seeing that heya ranking board reminds me that those 4 Kokonoe rikishi will almost certainly all be in the bottom half of Juryo. They will probably end up facing more higher ranked rikishi than normal because there aren't as many around their own rank to fight. Non-Kokonoe rikishi near the bottom will probably have to face all of them.

Edited by Gurowake

he's looking much older and weaker than in Taiwan and at the boxing match recently

Say it isn't so! He doesn't look much different on the photos here, although he does seem to be slimmer...

Strange decision for most of us, I think.

Oddly enough it didn't help that Shotenro's shisho (Fujishima) is the deputy head shimpan -->

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12380&p=274289