hamcornheinz

Simultaneous Henkas

I'm sure I've seen some of these gems, if only I could remember by whom...

• Like 1

In one of Kintamayama's videos of the 2011 basho series (or maybe early 2012 I can't really recall which one) he does a "classic match halftime special" that has a sweet double henka that I think fits your bill.

Edit: Well, I went back and couldn't find it so my memory may be playing tricks on me, but I have a very clear memory of seeing one in one of his videos.

Edited by K. Sear
  • Like 1

I seem to recall a bout with...Kokkai, I think, though it may have been Aran. He and his opponent both jumped forward and to their respective right side, effectively shifting the tachi-ai 90 degrees before beginning the bout...

Tochinoshin-Kyokutaisei featured both rikishi immediately side-stepping to their left, but neither came close to the 'juicy' henka the OP describes.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

I'm in the same boat as Jakusotsu, seen a handful of them over the years but can't remember any specifics. If nothing else, the creation of this thread will perhaps lead to immediate immortalization of future incidents. ;-)

• Like 3

From a search on the forum, maybe this is the one you remember?

https://youtu.be/gglcgI36wS8?t=6m5s

Harumafuji vs Tochinoshin, Aki 2011.

Edit:

This was also flagged as a "double-henka" at the time, although it is probably less clear cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HlzTHgniL4

Asasekiryu - Ikioi, Haru 2012.

Also this:

http://www.lesumo.fr/media/11568/aran_-_takekaze/

Aran - Takekaze from Nagoya 2011

Other mentions I found are for Asasekiryu - Tochinoshin from Haru 2011, but can't find videos...

Edited by krindel
  • Like 9

From a search on the forum, maybe this is the one you remember?

https://youtu.be/gglcgI36wS8?t=6m5s

Harumafuji vs Tochinoshin, Aki 2011.

That's the one! It was there, just not a halftime special like I remembered. I guess that is close enough.

Edited by K. Sear

In one of Kintamayama's videos of the 2011 basho series (or maybe early 2012 I can't really recall which one) he does a "classic match halftime special" that has a sweet double henka that I think fits your bill.

Edit: Well, I went back and couldn't find it so my memory may be playing tricks on me, but I have a very clear memory of seeing one in one of his videos.

tumblr_nyazl0Q8nt1tu97pzo1_400.gif

• Like 4

I think this qualifies. Particularly awkward since both tried to go to the same side:

• Like 11

The only "true" double henka would occur if each rikishi lands face first on the dohyo at the exact same time. Can you imagine what the head shimpan would announce after the mono-ii? "Both rikishis avoided contact and touched the dohyo at the same time. There will be a torinaoshi." It would be an announcement no one has ever heard before--and probably will never hear again. :-)

The mono-ii explanation for that is simple: "Ryousha no tai ga nakunaru wo douji to mite, torinaoshi" - Both bodies going dead is seen as simultaneous (double shinitai)

Edited by Akinomaki

It would be great if they both went to the same side, bumped into each other, and fell down.

• Like 1

Was there not the ozeki Baruto and Chiyotaikai bout which looked suspicious in execution by Baruto who seemed to be doing Chiyo a favor?