Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Kyokai Elections January 2016

Sure, at this stage it doesn't sound like a huge revolution any more that people are supporting him for the position, but if you view it as a whole picture of events in the last decade, he does deserve the term.

Sure, when he forced his way onto the board of directors in 2010, that was a (minor) revolution. But by now he's just as much part of the establishment as everybody else - unless he's going to overhaul the Kyokai wholesale as rijicho (which I highly doubt), this is simply a factional power struggle, the likes of which have happened countless times over the decades. And like most of those power struggles, 95% of what's going on is only relevant to insiders. That's no revolution.
  • Like 1

The Takanohana Ichimon encouragement rally was held 4 days ago in Tokyo with 200 participants, including 17 Oyakata. Reminder- the Ichimon itself has 8 Oyakata, so there were 9 outsiders there, including among others Takasago's Sanoyama Oyakata (ex- Chiyotaikai) and Tokitsukaze Ichimon's Tokitsukaze Oyakata and Shikoroyama (ex-Terao) and the above-mentioned Yamahibiki."It doesn't matter who becomes rijicho in the end-I hope we can maintain sumo's tradition and pass it on to the next generation ," he said.

Takanohana with the new look:

sum16030321350005-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

Several unpleasant news that the crisis committee reported at the rijikai today, rikishi gambling and a phone threat by a self-proclaimed uyoku member (right wing extremists/criminals) to the Yasukuni shrine (a favorite place for uyoku), where external riji Tokugawa is chief priest, that he (Tokugawa) will get killed if he votes for Takanohana and not Hakkaku.

The NSK has consulted with the police.

http://mainichi.jp/articles/20160312/k00/00m/050/031000c.html

Details in: New scandal brewing? Makuuchi dice gambling and bomb threat!

This could make Takanohana renounce his candidacy, to avoid possible harm to others.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Several unpleasant news that the crisis committee reported at the rijikai today, rikishi gambling and a phone threat by a self-proclaimed uyoku member (right wing extremists/criminals) to the Yasukuni shrine (a favorite place for uyoku), where external riji Tokugawa is chief priest, that he (Tokugawa) will get killed if he votes for Takanohana and not Hakkaku.

The NSK has consulted with the police.

http://mainichi.jp/articles/20160312/k00/00m/050/031000c.html

Details in: New scandal brewing? Makuuchi dice gambling and bomb threat!

This could make Takanohana renounce his candidacy, to avoid possible harm to others.

with the same reasoning, might not hakkaku be as likely to renounce, then?

external riji Tokugawa is chief priest, that he (Tokugawa) will get killed if he votes for Takanohana and not Hakkaku.

The external riji are eligible to vote for the riji-cho - but Hakkaku has found a loophole:

the external riji are only in office till the end of present hyogi-in-kai term of office, and that ends with their last meeting on March 28th.

It is over before the election on the same day starts, so the external riji are no longer riji then and thus Hakkaku says they can't vote. External riji Munakata thinks they are the ones that have that right till the term of the new ones starts.

That could make a big difference for the outcome

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1615619.html

With the death threat I believe they may select the new riji-cho without election, by mutual consent.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

The external riji are eligible to vote for the riji-cho - but Hakkaku has found a loophole:

the external riji are only in office till the end of present hyogi-in-kai term of office, and that ends with their last meeting on March 28th.

It is over before the election on the same day starts, so the external riji are no longer riji then and thus Hakkaku says they can't vote. External riji Munakata thinks they are the ones that have that right till the term of the new ones starts.

The external riji won't vote, just the 10 oyakata. The hyogi-in-kai top sees no problem.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1619553.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

What happens if they split right down the middle?

The external riji won't vote, just the 10 oyakata. The hyogi-in-kai top sees no problem.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1619553.html

Munakata (also head of the crisis committee) is furious: "It would be illegal, invalid!" - he wants the externals to vote as well.

Again it looks undecided if 13 or 10 will vote. http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2016/03/21/kiji/K20160321012252280.html

• Like 1

The votes have been cast, and Hakkaku has been (re-?)elected as Rijicho of the Nihon Sumo Kyokai. The result was 6-2, with Nishonoseki, Oguruma, Kasugano, Sakaigawa, Dewanoumi and Kagamiyama all voting for Hakkaku, while Takanohana could only muster support from Isegahama and Yamahibiki.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 7

I wonder how many decapitated horse heads ended up in the beds of would-be Takanohana supporters before the vote occurred.

The votes have been cast, and Hakkaku has been (re-?)elected as Rijicho of the Nihon Sumo Kyokai. The result was 6-2, with Nishonoseki, Oguruma, Kasugano, Sakaigawa, Dewanoumi and Kagamiyama all voting for Hakkaku, while Takanohana could only muster support from Isegahama and Yamahibiki.

Were Hakkaku and Takanohana not allowed to vote? (just curious)

Is this common practice in Japanese organizations?

Surely that's an in-between morph by Naganoyama using pictures of Takanohana and Terao...

• Like 2

Jobs-

Hakkaku the boss,

Senior executive manager Oguruma retains his position,

Takanohana- head of the Jungyo department ("It's very important to maintain close ties with the public. I'll see to it that the rikishi will sweat a lot.."),

PR boss will be Kasugano,

Head of judging department- Nishonoseki.

Kagamiyama -head of planning department.

• Like 2

Isegahama out of a job? I wonder if he knew that was coming? Could be why he was salty and denied the Kanto-Sho for Kotoyuki?

Jobs-

Hakkaku the boss,

Senior executive manager Oguruma retains his position,

Takanohana- head of the Jungyo department ("It's very important to maintain close ties with the public. I'll see to it that the rikishi will sweat a lot.."),

PR boss will be Kasugano,

Head of judging department- Nishonoseki.

Kagamiyama -head of planning department.

Will there be a complete overview like this?: http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12380&p=257898

Is "Head of judging department" the same as Shimpan director?

Judging department:

Nishonoseki , on becoming the head of the judging department: "There are many rikishi who do dame-oshis (extra shoves) and who don't put their hands down properly. Every time this will happen, I intend to summon them and caution them!!"

Other members of the judging department;

Takenawa Oyakata, ex- Tochinonada: "I'd like to do my job peacefully."

Kasugayama Oyakata (ex-Hamanishiki, currently embroiled in a bitter legal battle with the former oyakata over the stock rights) : "I'm a bit nervous because it's my first time but I pledge to keep a close eye on the results.."

Irumagawa (ex-Tokitsukasa) , Tokitsukaze (ex- Tokitsuumi), Tagonoura (ex- Elvis), and Hanaregoma (ex- Tamanoshima) are the additional members of the Judging department.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Kasugano Oyakata (Ex-Tochinowaka) , on becoming head of PR, in relation to the fact that many rikishi have been on various variety shows on TV lately: "As long as it goes in accordance to what a rikishi is, I want them to be on TV as much as possible. I will do my job according to tradition." He has 4 sekitori in his heya, but he doesn't allow them to appear on TV at all..

Isegahama is now only responsible for the Osaka basho, Sakaigawa for Kyushu, Dewanoumi Nagoya.
Yamahibiki heads the training institute.
The fuku-riji all with fuku-posts: Tamanoi reduced to now only jungyo vice-director, Shibatayama that and now the PR vice-director (with his recent court penalty as PR?), deputy for no.2 Oguruma is now Fujishima, who stays deputy head of the shimpan-bu.
http://mainichi.jp/articles/20160331/k00/00m/050/088000c

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1