Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Kyushu 2015- dressing room talk

Can you spot the fake one?

Chiyoootori, 5 straight wins: "My body is reacting well and my feet are moving forward. This gives me confidence."

Mitakeumi, Makuuchi debut and doing well at the start, having more wins than losses: "If I lose it's pretty much expected so I'm going out there to "borrow the chests" of the experienced guys. All I'm thinking about is doing my own sumo."

Endou, starting off at 1-4: "I've got more losses than wins so that is not good.."

Yoshikaze, beating Tochiouzan with some wild sumo: "I decided to go out there and do all I am capable of.. I did my utmost.."

Tochiouzan, losing to Yoshikaze: "After my first step I felt as if I stopped to look around.. If I would have leaned forward more it would have been better. When you stop to look around in sumo, this opponent quickly comes at you from a lower position.."

Ichinojou, losing to Kisenosato and still without a win this basho: "I didn't want him to get that left hand grip.. I can't get my tachi-ai right."

Harumafuji, back from a two basho injury and losing one out of five so far - tomorrow facing his nemesis Yoshikaze who is 6-2 against him: " Really, I'm handling this one day at a time and doing all I can and giving it my all. I'm looking forward to facing Yoshikaze.."

Hakuhou, back from kyujo and unbeaten after 5 days: "It's so-so.. No problem with my left knee. I just hope to do good sumo bout by bout."

Kotoshougiku, beating Toyonoshima after a monoii and a decision-reversal: "I was stressed for a minute but the win came.. It felt like a minute.. I've got to go about it in a calmer and more calculated way."

Toyonoshima: "I thought I won it.."

Aminishiki, beating Amuuru for his second win: "Last night we went drinking together and he told me exactly how he was going to face me. I did the opposite of what he said. After I won he smiled and whispered something in Russian. All I understood was 'mama' "

Terunofuji, his tsunatori aspirations fading for the moment: "I don't want to do anything unreasonable so I was thinking to do sumo using only my upper body.. "

Kitanoumi Rijicho on Terunofuji's run: "No tsunatori. He has to at least get a jun-yusho so that he can continue next basho, but more losses and he'll have to start from scratch."

Myougiryuu, winning swiftly: " It was only my second win. What are you guys gathering around me for? It went exactly as I had imagined. That was supreme sumo. I stopped to ask myself what kind of sumo I was doing until today. I decided to utilize my speed today. After the bout, as I watched the final bout from dohyo-side, I still felt the rush from the win. I managed to start anew, and I hope to continue like this.."

Kakuryuu, overwhelmed by Myougiryuu: "I challenged him at the tachi-ai but I feel I failed (you don't say..) There was nothing good about what followed. It's not good that I lost to Yoshikaze on day 1 for the second straight basho, and today to Myougiryuu for the second straight basho as well.. I've got to focus."

Ikioi, 5 straight wins: "I was able to generate an offensive. I managed to do good sumo. I've been eating well and I'm happy.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 16

Clearly both Chiyootori's and Ikioi's are fake, they were missing the customary "I'm not thinking about the yusho at all, my only goal is kachikoshi".

• Like 4

The Akinoshima's one...

As always, thanks for this and many other things from you, Moti. Always something to look forward to each basho.

The Akinoshima's one...

As always, thanks for this and many other things from you, Moti. Always something to look forward to each basho.

A Freudian slip-I meant Aminishiki- who knows how Akinoshima entered my mind..

• Like 1

The Akinoshima's one...

A Freudian slip-I meant Aminishiki- who knows how Akinoshima entered my mind..

Probably the kinboshi connection, Moti!

Back to the original list, the obvious fake one is Harumafuji: "I'm looking forward to facing Yoshikaze."

• Like 2

Day 8- again, spot the lie:

Takayasu, returning after a left foot injury and keeping his one loss record: "My sumo is passionate.. I'd like to continue racking up those wins.."

Gagamaru, two mattas, then getting slapped twice by Takayasu, shouting in the bath after the bout: "I thought the second tachiai was legit but it was called a matta. I thought maybe I'll try to slap him to kingdom come.."

Yoshikaze, oshidashi'ing the 201 kilo Aoiyama powerfully: "Attacking from under is one of sumo's foundations. I'm able to do good sumo and I feel great!"

Ikioi, losing to Tochiouzan's katasukashi, his second loss of the basho: "I couldn't get hold of his mawashi, but my body was moving forward, moving forward. Even though I lost, wasn't that good sumo?"

Chiyoootori, beating Mitakeumi and nearly killing him in the process: "The rijicho asked me to stop bouncing before the tachiai because it irritates the photographers. Apparently, there have also been complaints from TV viewers who thought there was an earthquake. I hope Mitakeumi is OK.."

Okinoumi, winless and makekoshi in Kyushu: "It's not good if I can't get that overarm grip. I lost 8 but there is nothing specific that is wrong with me.."

Goueidou, dealing well with Terunofuji's henka: "He has knee problems so he can't do his usual sumo. I thought he might try something. My legs followed well.."

Harumafuji, overwhelming Toyonoshima: "My opponent is crafty, so I did my best to keep him away from the belt. I was pretty calm, huh? My condition is improving all the time.."

Myougiryuu, fighting well against Hakuhou but losing in the end: "I wanted to push his stomach and attack. It would have been great if I could achieve something, but alas, this is my ability at present.."

Shouhouzan, doing great in his home town, seven wins: "The crowd is cheering me on very loudly and I am very grateful for that. I'd like to take advantage of this chance and make something of it."

Terunofuji, attempting a henka and failing, admitting his injured knee was aggravated in yesterday's bout: "I failed.. Goueidou always goes for a left hand grip. I knew if I let him get that, I'm toast, so I decided to try this. I said to myself 'win or lose , it's OK' and jumped as hard as I could. It was fun.. I'm pretty sure my oyakata will chew me out, though.."

Hakuhou, unbeaten after his return from an injury: "My ring sense is returning with every day that goes by. I'm in good condition. Tomorrow Goueidou? I plan to enjoy myself.."

Kisenosato, one loss and well in the race: "I'm healthy and would like to continue like this."

Kotoshougiku, beating Oosunaarashi: "I knew I had to get him close to me. I put the pressure on and it was good. This being my hometown is secondary. I am gambarizing for myself!! "

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 9

Gaga's looked suspicious.

Ikioi's, no usual gambarimasu at the end.

Chiyootori's one made me grin from ear to ear.

Aminishiki is nuts, I don't doubt this account.

Gaga's looked suspicious.

Ikioi's, no usual gambarimasu at the end.

Chiyootori's one made me grin from ear to ear.

In fairness to Ikioi, there's been a distinct lack of "gambarimasu" in all the post bout interviews. Very disappointing.

Senshuraku: Spot the lie.

Sadanofuji, 4-11 and may drop to Juryo: "I have to accept this record.. I'd like to reflect on where I went wrong and start anew.."
Mitakeumi, wild hairstyle new Makuuchi and kachikoshi: "I was able to concentrate on the bout at hand. I have learned a lot from this basho."
Aminishiki, beating local boy Shouhouzan who had only two losses, paving the way to his heyamate Harumafuji's yusho: " I guess the local fans were really disappointed. I didn't use much power and went about it at ease, and the result followed."
Endou, 4-11 and not good: "The worst thing is that I could not respond to the fans' support.. This last year the only image I had was of my injury.."
Tochiouzan, losing to his long time rival and kadoban Goueidou: "It doesn't matter who my opponent is. I would like to not do half-hearted sumo."
Terunofuji, blasting Kotoyuuki out and getting his 9th win: "I was supposed to slip and lose yesterday but then things got out of hand and I won. The rest is history.."
Kotoyuuki, first time facing an Ozeki and losing, but taking part in the Sanyaku Soroibumi ceremony: "The atmosphere is different when the house is packed, but I managed to remain calm. It was a good experience."
Kisenosato, beating the yusho winner Harumafuji: "I planned on going all out without thinking of anything. I somehow managed to get double-digit wins but it was totally unsatisfactory."
Kakuryuu, winning the yusho last basho but getting only 9 wins this time: "I had more regrettable thoughts than good ones this year. I'd like next year to be a good year!"
Shouhouzan, could not capitalize on the chance he had for a yusho: "My feeling that I was going to win may have overwhelmed me.. It was a good experience to be part of the yusho race for the first time. I really want to win next basho at the top part of the Banzuke.."
Hakuhou, missing out on the yusho: "If I would talk about my injured knee it would be an insult to my opponents.. After it's all behind me, I'm satisfied. The results just didn't follow.. There were good and bad things this past year. I want to concentrate on this coming year. That will be my thanks to the late rijicho Kitanoumi."

Goueidou, winning and retaining his Ozeki rank: "I went out thinking whatever will be will be. I'm happy I was able to win in the end. When I went for the kubinage I knew I was taking a risk, because if I would have botched it I could have been pushed out.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

Terunofuji, blasting Kotoyuuki out and getting his 9th win: "I was supposed to slip and lose yesterday but then things got out of hand and I won. The rest is history..' This one is the fake one.

Goueidou, with his, "whatever will be will be". Mush have been listening to Doris Day, Que Sera, Sera. 😉

Where do you get this stuff?

I'm dreaming it. It comes to me at night without warning.

• Like 2

Goueidou, with his, "whatever will be will be". Mush have been listening to Doris Day, Que Sera, Sera.

Mush- excellent Freudian slip..