Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Basho Talk - Kyushu Basho 2015 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

Maybe Hakuho and Terunofuji were aware that today's bouts were running well ahead of the NHK broadcast schedule....

Very long bout.

Edited by kuroimori

something wrong with Hakuho... his tachiai was really weak too

No way as some will no doubt suggest he gave the fight to Terunofuji though..... not when there are yusho implications.

Edited by hamcornheinz

And miraculously, a hobbled Terunofuji wins against the greatest of all time, avoiding kadoban. Hmmm...

I always thought Terunofuji was lucky that he doesn't need to face Harumafuji. Now I think it's the opposite. Beautiful KK.

• Like 1

Yoshikaze might have been beter off losing today...?

That ran through my head too.

Maybe it is too early in the morning for me, but could you please elaborate?

Goeido might take his sekiwake position... If he lost today, Goeido remains ozeki and Yoshikaze could have still gone KK tomorrow.

Watched this with my old man tonight. Hakuho may have hurt himself in some way yesterday with the matchup against Harumafuji. Just a theory. I have to wonder though how Kotoyuki found himself in koreyori sanyaku.

And miraculously, a hobbled Terunofuji wins against the greatest of all time, avoiding kadoban. Hmmm...

Wait.. are you suggesting Hakuho would throw a yusho to save Terunofuji.. not from demotion.. not from kadoban... but from 7-7..?!

Edited by Kurikara

If Yoshikaze loses, Goeido keeps his Ozeki and a Sekiwake slot is available. Now,if Goeido loses tomorrow, he grabs the Sekiwake slot, and Yoshikaze is left as a Komusubi. Edited by Asojima

Goeido might take his sekiwake position... If he lost today, Goeido remains ozeki and Yoshikaze could have still gone KK tomorrow.

Goeido should win tomorrow against 8-6 Tochiozan and Yoshikaze takes Myogiryu's Sekiwake spot.

• Like 1

Shohozan for jun-yusho?

He needs to overcome major 7-7 wiliness from the Dai-Wily Aminishiki.

• Like 3

Goeido should win tomorrow against 8-6 Tochiozan and Yoshikaze takes Myogiryu's Sekiwake spot.

just to add.....the events even give ikioi the chance to get 12 wins and a sansho....if yoshikaze lost today there would have been a bout between kk and sansho probably

It is apt Tochiozan is the final day opponent, another wrinkle in their rivalry.

The way Tochiozan's fingers look, seems unlikely he is to ever reach the same rank

and Goeido has been doing well lately vs. him.

Orora's reaction suggests there were smiles from Kitanoumi too, another side.

There is always one great basho left, hopefully many more in Harumafuji.

Ikioi looks competent vs. joi opponents for the first time, this Yoshikaze

phenom might be inspiring many vets.

So Terunofuji / Hakuho matchup tomorrow would be a good time to return the favor back to his senpai Harumafuji for the Natsu 2015 yusho and his ozeki promotion.

And he came through magnificently.

Do you think it helps rikishi to forget themselves and be inspired when they're fighting for a heya-mate, and the heya too at the same time? Or, even when they're not fighting for a heya-mate, there's a kind of support, during a basho, in having 'brothers', rather than being an 'only child'?

• Like 3

Great sumo from Ikioi today and a brilliant throw to end the match.

Edited by Kishinoyama
  • Like 1

If Yoshikaze loses, Goeido keeps his Ozeki and a Sekiwake slot is available. Now,if Goeido loses tomorrow, he grabs the Sekiwake slot, and Yoshikaze is left as a Komusubi.

I don't think that yoshikaze would care about the distinction between the two Sanyaku positions.

The pay is roughly the same, he can still qualify for Ozeki from either ranks.

Most importantly, he would probably prefer the tougher Komosubi schedule to bloody his fellow Sanyaku's noses in the first week.

I'm pretty sure Yoshikaze was focusing on getting the kachikoshi. This is his first time having done that. Though the circumstances may end up with him not moving up to sekiwake depending on Goeido tomorrow, at least he isn't going to see himself falling. He still has had a pretty good basho since he did beat one yokozuna and two ozeki, even with the rough schedule.

If Yoshikaze loses, Goeido keeps his Ozeki and a Sekiwake slot is available. Now,if Goeido loses tomorrow, he grabs the Sekiwake slot, and Yoshikaze is left as a Komusubi.

I don't think that yoshikaze would care about the distinction between the two Sanyaku positions.

The pay is roughly the same, he can still qualify for Ozeki from either ranks.

Most importantly, he would probably prefer the tougher Komosubi schedule to bloody his fellow Sanyaku's noses in the first week.

Former Sekiwake sounds way better than former Komusubi. A former sekiwake is someone who had success in sanyaku, a former Komusubi is someone who had success as a maegashiro.

• Like 2

All of which will be moot when Yoshikaze reels off double digit wins in the next 3 bashos.

Let's predict who will win this tournament:

If Shohozan wins tomorrow, then:

Harumafuji- loses

Hakuho- loses

Playoff: Harumafuji- loses again.

---a Japan-born wins a tournament, which has not happened in 9 years. 喜大普奔。

Harumafuji- loses

Hakuho- loses

One of many scenarios that could happen tomorrow. You could have Harumafuji winning his match and that is pretty much it. You could have Harumafuji lose and Hakuho and Shohozan win for a 3-way playoff. If Shohozan loses he is out either way. Many scenarios that can happen tomorrow but so far it's been exciting to see it turn out this way. At least Hakuho didn't run away with it again. Now he has to fight for it tomorrow plus needs luck on his side.

Just watched day 14 without prior knowledge. How the hell does Hakuho lose a match to a guy who isn't putting any weight on his right leg? Why does Hakuho put up no opposition to his 1-legged opponent shoving him to the edge of the ring, then meekly step out?

• Like 1

Harumafuji- loses

Hakuho- loses

One of many scenarios that could happen tomorrow. You could have Harumafuji winning his match and that is pretty much it. You could have Harumafuji lose and Hakuho and Shohozan win for a 3-way playoff. If Shohozan loses he is out either way. Many scenarios that can happen tomorrow but so far it's been exciting to see it turn out this way. At least Hakuho didn't run away with it again. Now he has to fight for it tomorrow plus needs luck on his side.

Do you really believe Hakuho can possibly lose three consecutive bouts in the last three days? But he will this time.

Do you really believe Harumafuji can lose to Kise? But he will this time.

All depends on whether Shohozan can beat Ami tomorrow.

For so many many years did you ever see a Japan-born so near to yusho and how hunger the Japanese fans for a Japan-born yusho?

For so many many years did you ever see a Japan-born so near to yusho and how hunger the Japanese fans for a Japan-born yusho?

Tochiozan was pretty close once upon a time...
  • Like 1

Although Ami is 7-7 but winning or losing tomorrow is in consequential to him. He will lose.

• Like 1