Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Basho Talk - Kyushu Basho 2015 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

All the rikishi in makuuchi have enormous amounts of pressure. The oyakata, peers, koenkai, advertisers, people who hooked them up to get into sumo. And all of them can handle it, otherwise they'd have never gotten that far. It's so integral to being a professional sportsman, but I don't really have the English chops to state it eloquently.

To state that the difference between no yusho and more than 30 is simply pressure is an absurdity.

Also "just" a yokozuna? The whole point of ring entrance is you're not "just" anything.

• Like 5

that was a good and entertaining gagamaru bout. didn't think i'd ever say that.

This Ura guy.. I like him. Very cool character, a LOT of Mainoumi in him, but he's still young, thin, muscular, thin, young, creative, has good knowledge of throws, technique, young, thin...

Those head somersaults - very cool. Let's see Ichinijo or Gagamaru try one of those, shall we? All these techniques are wonderful to a certain level. All of these work because he's the right size and shape and age for them to work. He has no mass to speak of. He also knows what kind of leverage his body will take. Fast forward 5 years, and things change. 5 more years and they change again. And he's going to gain weight. And get bigger. By the time he hits Juryo, he'd better have the knowledge and technique of Mainoumi, plus gained knowledge of how to defend himself against real guys who know what they're doing, either climbing up the ladder, or on the way back down. Knowledge of offence is one thing, especially against opponents where he currently is, who are essentially walking dead looking for branes!

He's going to need to learn, not just offensive techniques, but more importantly, defensive approaches. Failing that, he's just going to get pounded.

So enjoy him while he's young, thin, agile, creative, thin, has most of his marbles, young, thin.... good looking, sort of. But as we speak, I wouldn't put shekels on him being an Ozeki any time soon.

• Like 1

This Ura guy.. I like him. Very cool character, a LOT of Mainoumi in him, but he's still young, thin, muscular, thin, young, creative, has good knowledge of throws, technique, young, thin...

Those head somersaults - very cool. Let's see Ichinijo or Gagamaru try one of those, shall we? All these techniques are wonderful to a certain level. All of these work because he's the right size and shape and age for them to work. He has no mass to speak of. He also knows what kind of leverage his body will take. Fast forward 5 years, and things change. 5 more years and they change again. And he's going to gain weight. And get bigger. By the time he hits Juryo, he'd better have the knowledge and technique of Mainoumi, plus gained knowledge of how to defend himself against real guys who know what they're doing, either climbing up the ladder, or on the way back down. Knowledge of offence is one thing, especially against opponents where he currently is, who are essentially walking dead looking for branes!

He's going to need to learn, not just offensive techniques, but more importantly, defensive approaches. Failing that, he's just going to get pounded.

So enjoy him while he's young, thin, agile, creative, thin, has most of his marbles, young, thin.... good looking, sort of. But as we speak, I wouldn't put shekels on him being an Ozeki any time soon.

yak!

Ha!

keep writing, friend

here's hoping courageous, beautiful ura goes far

He is an interesting young man with many talents along with his bag of tricks, but he has to become a *lot* stronger to be able to break through the walls and avoid injury when one of those spectacular tricks fails. Having said that, I was a big fan of Mainoumi and I like to see less bulk and more smarts, so I'm definitely cheering for him.

• Like 1

He's worth watching for the flash and novelty alone. I'm very interested to see him as a sekitori, but not going to get too excited until he gets that far.

The only question is at what level they will get too big and too skilled. It might be the makushita joi, it might be the makuuchi joi.

Isn't this the question you can ask regarding every upcoming rikishi? But compared to other youngsters his technique and his balance is just extraordinary and people were underestimating him since his debut: After his maezumo: Nah, he can't do this in ozumo. After ozumo debut: He can't keep doing this in Sandanme. After Sandanme debut: This won't work in Makushita.... but if you think it might be the makuuchi joi, your opinion of Ura seems actually quite good.

I like to keep an open mind and think there's a large amount of variance in where he might end up based on how much agility he is able to maintain while he puts on weight, which is something he's certainly been doing. This basho I'm certainly surprised by his performance, but not overwhelmingly surprised. I don't have a very good ability to judge of what might work well at different levels, I wouldn't make any sort of bet regarding what sort of career he will have, nor would I know which way to go regarding any sort of guess that was requested of me. I just think that he's mostly hype based on his agility being off the charts.

You wrote you don't have a great opinion of him, this sounded very negative to me. I think it's his style of sumo that makes him very special and adorable no matter which division or rank he might reach at any time. In general I find it hardly possible to predict the careers of rikishi, not only in Ura's case. I was also a bit surprised by his performance this basho considering his 5-2 in September.

I know Ura is hyped and all, but he could've been slapped down on 20 different occasions in this bout. People don't lean that far down for a reason.

But he wasn't and he's 6-0 and he's going for the Makushita yusho. He doesn't subscribe to what "people" do. His sumo is very unique - I don't think I've seen anyone so wacky before, and I've been following sumo for three years now .

(Laughing...) (Laughing...) (Laughing...) (Laughing...) (Laughing...)

How the hell did Goeido lose to Ichinojo? He had almost everything done, Ichinojo on the edge and then he overextends himself for some reason and lets Ichinojo slap himself down. Guess he wasn't expecting that fast moves from him, but still... how the hell?

That's our Goiedo. Always reliably unreliable.

Kaisei doing good and will get his KK. He's a natural M5-M6

And I'm glad that Osuna is doing that well. For some bashos I would think him only a street brawler.

Man, thinking of someone like Gagamaru falling on this kid's neck in the middle of one of those acrobatic throws is enough to keep you up nights.

EDIT: I hope to God we never see anything like that in sumo.

Edited by Dwale

>If Hakuho was Japanese he'd be just another Yokozuna.

Yeah, "just another Yokozuna" who happens to have won 35 Grand Sumo tournaments.

>I don't particularly care for Hakuho.

That seems rather obvious.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 2

Is it just me, or did the kimarite look particularly wrong today? The only one I remember off the top of my head I think was Gagamarus win, which looked like a kotenage to me but was given as yorikiri?

It was given as kotenage.
I might need to get my eyes checked.

Video by courtesy of Tenshinhan-san.

Here is something interesting to follow for the last few days of Basho. Fujinokaze just beat Mitsuuchi.

Fujinokaze has been here since 2003, he is now 38 years old and his last 6 wins in a basho is from 2005. He managed to win six times after 10 years. He has never gotten a Yusho. Mitsuuchi who is one of the stronger newcomers was standing in his way, but he won, somehow Fujinokaze won.

Do it! You are so close! Do it! JUST DO IT! DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS! DO! IT!! JUST DO IT!!!

GO AND TAKE IT! IT IS YOUR LAST CHANGE!

Edit: Missed his 6-1 last year but one of them was a freebie anyway.

Edited by Jyuunomori
  • Like 1

tumblr_ny1iwpP2Va1tu97pzo1_400.gif

The ol' slap n' roll

tumblr_ny1j80Ao7O1tu97pzo1_400.giftumblr_ny1jt3zV7M1tu97pzo1_400.giftumblr_ny1jfrb6qM1tu97pzo1_400.giftumblr_ny1jktYpvG1tu97pzo1_400.giftumblr_ny1jc3nvcR1tu97pzo1_400.giftumblr_ny1jxwdFFV1tu97pzo1_400.gif

Edited by 808morgan
  • Like 6

Fujinokaze has been here since 2003, he is now 38 years old and his last 6 wins in a basho is from 2005. He managed to win six times after 10 years.

He got a 6-1 record exactly one year ago (but including a fusensho so he actually won only five bouts)

• Like 1

Fujinokaze has been here since 2003, he is now 38 years old and his last 6 wins in a basho is from 2005. He managed to win six times after 10 years.

He got a 6-1 record exactly one year ago (but including a fusensho so he actually won only five bouts)

Must've missed it. But still, go Fuji go!

Ps: I am bit bummed by Mitsuuchi's loss too but lets cheer Fuji for his Yusho. xD

Must've missed it. But still, go Fuji go!

Ps: I am bit bummed by Mitsuuchi's loss too but lets cheer Fuji for his Yusho. xD

Definitely not. :-) I will cheer for Haguroho in the Jonidan Yusho decider. He has more talent and deserves it after his long injury.

Regarding Ura's acrobatic skills, I was (as I'm sure many others were) amazed by his bout videos that were circulating before he went on his debut. To my surprise, what I saw during pretty much all of his bouts all the way from mae-zumo until now in Makushita was none of the spectacular, back-flipping style shown before, but instead I was made aware of his quickness of thought, his outstanding balance, and also (arguably more importantly) his innate sense on how to topple the opponent's balance in the most efficient way.

I'd say Ura is a very talented rikishi who obviously still has his acrobatic skills in disposal, but crucially has the wits and maturity to realise that to succeed in sumo he has to work on the basics, then augment those with the natural skills he already possesses. Really really hope he makes it to makuuchi.

• Like 2

He started Ozumo the year and month I made my Abitur (A-levels, Bac, high-school graduation... whatever you call it...). Why do I think I'm getting old and he's still active? Mhhh....

I am really hoping Kotoshogiku beats Hakuho today. Not because I have anything against Hakuho. I am a great fan of his. Rather I want Harumafuji to be highly motivated in his match against Goeido.

Not only is it great drama and spectacle to have two of the best meeting on the last day to determent the championship. But, I feel it would be good for Sumo overall to shake up the top ranks a bit with a demotion. There is nothing like proverbial blood in the water to get the sharks circling. Get some of the mid rakes hungry and the upper ranks desperate to maintain their status, and see how things pan out. :-D

None the less I still want ​Hakuho to win the Cup again. (Yusho winner...)

Morningstar, on 18 Nov 2015 - 20:07, said:

I am really hoping Kotoshogiku beats Hakuho today. Not because I have anything against Hakuho. I am a great fan of his. Rather I want Harumafuji to be highly motivated in his match against Goeido.

Not only is it great drama and spectacle to have two of the best meeting on the last day to determent the championship. But, I feel it would be good for Sumo overall to shake up the top ranks a bit with a demotion. There is nothing like proverbial blood in the water to get the sharks circling. Get some of the mid rakes hungry and the upper ranks desperate to maintain their status, and see how things pan out. :-D

None the less I still want ​Hakuho to win the Cup again. (Yusho winner...)

Hakuho and Harumafuji are matched on Day 13.

Edited by Asojima

You mean 13. And yeah, it's unfortunate that they decided to do them strictly by banzuke order instead of saving the only yusho relevant match for the end.

hakuho has 45 wins against giku... what's the record? is this the most for hakuho? amazing.

What's the longest between matches of two rikishi? I was browsing the Makushita schedule and noticed Sotairyu, who had been a sekitori for a decent while, had a match before against Musashiumi, and figured it had to be a while ago. Eight years plus one basho.

hakuho has 45 wins against giku... what's the record? is this the most for hakuho? amazing.

Yeah, it's the most for Hakuho, followed by 42 wins against Kisenosato.

• Like 1