Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Basho Talk - Kyushu Basho 2015 +++ Spoiler Alert! +++

He did let up at the edge, but most rikishi do, to avoid injury. Osu isn't fighting smart struggling at the edge, I think at least.

So Terunofuji / Hakuho matchup tomorrow would be a good time to return the favor back to his senpai Harumafuji for the Natsu 2015 yusho and his ozeki promotion.

• Like 2

HF is one smart customer. Before the bout, either he realized he wasn't set up properly, or ready, or maybe he spotted something about Hak. Either way, rather than just dive into the bout, he stood up, backed off, and bowed to reset/align himself. Wasn't a matta, Simply smart ring sense and you know the man never stops thinking.

And the way to get to Hak is through a lightning assault before he gets a hand on you. Higher centre of gravity, longer legs. How Akebono survived as long as he did with those flamingo gams is beyond me. HF, lower to the ground, faster, more mobile, and it's all in the tachi-ai.

Good to have a HF/Hak dance once in a while.

NHK broadcasting all of their tachiai turns out to be prophetic- Harumafuji's old tachiai against Hakuho was giving Hakuho the advantage, so he switched it up and took an angle today- worked beautifully.

Harumafuji did a beautiful move at the start where he leaned in and did not let Hakuho get a hold of the belt

Yeah, Harumafuji outmaneuvered Hakuhō at the tachiai and that was it.

I like this Shōhōzan.

@Gagamaru: I was thrown off by his wrong wording (and then rectifying it) in the first interview which made me think he wasn’t super good, but I guess he is.

Edited by ALAKTORN
  • Like 1

I for one think Kisenosato & Goeido was legit. Kisenosato was not into it but is no sign of yaocho when it comes to him.

Kakuryu losing by hatakikomi to Terunofuji in this shape was, let's say, curious.

Aminishiki was pure trick this time around, but he managed some very decisive wins against both Kaisei and Yoshikaze. It was interesting of the banzuke-makers to have him and Takekaze fighting to stave off make-koshi tomorrow.

If sumo had a comeback of the year award it could be given to Shohozan. He went 14-31 including a 1-14 and a drop to Juryo and is now 24-4 one win behind the leaders. That surprises are what make sumo and sports in general so amazing.

Of all those with 3 wins or fewer Endo must be the most the disappointing. I never bought into the Endo hype, but the poor lad is being steamrolled looking clueless in the process.

Every time Ikioi moved closer to the upper ranks he was a pushover. Next time I think it will be different. He definitely looks stronger in the legs and he is moving better.

Edited by shumitto
  • Like 1

Kakuryu vs Terunofuji was really, really obvious. I mean you could see it coming miles away -- since Kakuryu has too many losses already, he did not put any kind of effort in there. Tomorrow Hakuho can't afford to do the same thing for Terunofuji and there's no way Teru in this shape would win against Hakuho.. So his kachikoshi or makekoshi will be decided on senshuraku and will depend upon the opponent (was it Kotoshogiku?) being generous.

How many losses it takes to a Yokozuna get demoted? Can Kakuryu be injured?
Trying to understand his situation...

Yokozuna never get demoted, they only retire. 8-7 would be not good at all, but he still has two chances to get more wins. And yes, he is rumored that his shoulder injury is not healed yet.

• Like 2

Someone more knowledgeable might want to correct me, but usually yokozuna will go kyujo before they accumulate too many losses. And a yokozuna can't be demoted, if he's unable to perform at yokozuna level for a while due to injury or otherwise, he will simply retire. I don't know what's the most losses that a yokozuna has actually had is -- I remember Hakuho had a 10-5 once, but there must be other examples from the past.

edit: Well I guess Doitsuyama has proved me wrong, there actually are yokozuna who have gotten makekoshi, and relatively recently as well! I still think the usual choice is to kyujo before that happens though...

Edited by dingo
  • Like 1

Yokozuna never get demoted, they only retire. 8-7 would be not good at all, but he still has two chances to get more wins. And yes, he is rumored that his shoulder injury is not healed yet.

Someone more knowledgeable might want to correct me, but usually yokozuna will go kyujo before they accumulate too many losses. And a yokozuna can't be demoted, if he's unable to perform at yokozuna level for a while due to injury or otherwise, he will simply retire. I don't know what's the most losses that a yokozuna has actually had is -- I remember Hakuho had a 10-5 once, but there must be other examples from the past.

edit: Well I guess Doitsuyama has proved me wrong, there actually are yokozuna who have gotten makekoshi, and relatively recently as well! I still think the usual choice is to kyujo before that happens though...

Thank you very much for the explanation. Amazes me how can endure in such pain, i was unaware of the low healing of his shoulder.

I dunno if he can beat Harumafuji tomorrow. We'll see.

Kakuryu vs Terunofuji was really, really obvious. I mean you could see it coming miles away -- since Kakuryu has too many losses already, he did not put any kind of effort in there. Tomorrow Hakuho can't afford to do the same thing for Terunofuji and there's no way Teru in this shape would win against Hakuho.. So his kachikoshi or makekoshi will be decided on senshuraku and will depend upon the opponent (was it Kotoshogiku?) being generous.

If it's Giku, he certainly owes him one..

tumblr_ny4vh1ZmLC1tu97pzo1_400.giftumblr_ny4vh1ZmLC1tu97pzo2_400.giftumblr_ny4vh1ZmLC1tu97pzo6_400.giftumblr_ny4vh1ZmLC1tu97pzo7_400.giftumblr_ny4vh1ZmLC1tu97pzo8_400.giftumblr_ny4vh1ZmLC1tu97pzo3_400.giftumblr_ny4vh1ZmLC1tu97pzo4_400.gif

Go Ama!! I keep watching him move around Hak, it's amazing. (Doing a wave...) (Doing a wave...) (Doing a wave...) (Doing a wave...)

Edited by 808morgan
  • Like 4

What was it that Sokokurai was doing today?

air tsuppari?

Jedi tsuppari?

Geez, Ama is really fast.

I remember Hakuho had a 10-5 once, but there must be other examples from the past.

And that was the worst Yokozuna Hakuho could give us. Shame on him.

Say what you want, just don't steal my baby...

• Like 1

All gyoji, yobidashi, and basho yakuin are wearing black and white ribbons in memory of Kitanoumi Rijicho.

• Like 4

Sato, young prospect at ms7, started 3-0 and finished 3-4. :/

Orora of Kitanoumi beya was in tears walking on the makeshift hanamichi toward shitakubeya after his defeat to Fujinoumi. Orora got his kachikoshi on day 10. Obviously thinking of his oyakata he told the press that he was unable to hide his emotions seeing that Kitanoumi appeared to be well before his sudden death yesterday. Orora was known to be Kitanoumi's favorite rikishi of his own heya.

• Like 7

Yoshikaze might have been beter off losing today...?

That ran through my head too.

Maybe it is too early in the morning for me, but could you please elaborate?