Kintamayama

Funny videos and photos of rikishi at play

Posted (edited)

Still too much of a beginner, but every funny little bit helps.

Edited by orandashoho

Posted (edited)

Ozzy Man Reviews: Sumo Wrestling

Can anyone tell us which matches are those and when were those, I only recognise Hakuho vs Tochiozan, Hakuho vs Takayasu, Akebono vs Takanohana, some Byamba action.

Edited by code_number3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

Can anyone tell us which matches are those, I only recognise Hakuho vs Tochiozan, Hakuho vs Takayasu, Akebono vs Takanohana, some Byamba action.

Particularly, who is that at aout 2 minutes with the play-over? Where is the announcer from? And, I though my own people can be tiresome.

Posted (edited)

Aoiyama vs. Chiyonokuni doing the split, Nagoya 2013

Kinjo knocking out Maeta, Hatsu 2017. Easily in the top 10 of sumo brutality.

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, code_number3 said:

Can anyone tell us which matches are those and when were those, I only recognise Hakuho vs Tochiozan, Hakuho vs Takayasu, Akebono vs Takanohana, some Byamba action.

The second bout (0:32) is Takanohana defeating Akebono on Day 15, Kyushu 1994. This win secured the ozeki his second straight yusho and an automatic Yokozuna promotion, thus the huge number of zabuton being thrown.

The last bout (3:11) is Byamba body slamming Kelly Gneiting at the 2013 US Sumo Open. 

• Thanks 1

And anybody knows who fought in the gyoji bowling (twice!) bout?

That other bout surely was one of Hakuho's stupidest loss! Tsuridashi again and again, only to get exhausted and okuridashi'ed (Laughing...)

18 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

And anybody knows who fought in the gyoji bowling (twice!) bout?

I think it is two separate bouts? The gyoji appears to be wearing different colours in each clip.

32 minutes ago, Sasanishiki said:

I think it is two separate bouts? The gyoji appears to be wearing different colours in each clip.

Oh? That's interesting... It seems to be the same guy (not that sure about the rikishis though), but indeed his kimono changed color. The bout appears to be torinaoshi, and this is supported by the commentating and on screen text (mata mirarenakatta / again he couldn't see it). Could it be that the gyoji did change his kimono?? (Anidea...) Or maybe simply the video coloring was a bit off... (Scratchingchin...)

Posted (edited)

Ex-Orora keeps to be in the focus of the papers - now Asahi reports on the ex-rikishi that lost 100kg in a year

now with 185 less than as news recruit - he had 190kg then

AS20200527003398_commL.jpgo AS20200527003405_commL.jpgo

at his top weight of 292.6kg he had to crawl onto the dohyo

AS20200527003402_commL.jpgo AS20200527003403_commL.jpgo

AS20200527003404_commL.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

No fan service in the past: later yokozuna Asashio was furious as this photo got taken at a jungyo in 1957 in Kanayama town, Gero, Gifu: "Don't take photos just like that"

img_10.jpg

And the 4 year old boy, now 67, remembers being scolded by Asashio as well: "Don't peek"

The photo now got a prize at an Asahi shimbun b/w photo-contest o

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 30/05/2020 at 09:46, Akinomaki said:

now with 185 less than as news recruit - he had 190kg then

So much for the urban myth that Orora suffered from an uncurable metabolic disorder and endured his life as rikishi for free medical care only...

On 30/05/2020 at 06:55, Akinomaki said:

No fan service in the past: later yokozuna Asashio was furious as this photo got taken at a jungyo in 1957 in Kanayama town, Gero, Gifu: "Don't take photos just like that"

img_10.jpg

And the 4 year old boy, now 67, remembers being scolded by Asashio as well: "Don't peek"

The photo now got a prize at an Asahi shimbun b/w photo-contest o

That whole scene looks like something out of a Mack Sennett silent comedy from the teens and twenties.  It sure deserved a prize!

I’m sure a lot of you have seen this one already, but it’s always good for a laugh. Hakuho bowling:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chanko Thief said:

Hakuho bowling:

I think I recognize Kotoshogiku and Kotooshu on his team; who's the fourth?

8 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I think I recognize Kotoshogiku and Kotooshu on his team; who's the fourth?

On the far left? Unless I’m mistaken, I believe that is Toyonoshima.

I don't know if this video of Hakuho playing basketball has been posted before.  Wikipedia says that as a child, Hakuho had no training in Mongolian wrestling as his father wanted him to try other sports.  He concentrated on basketball, although from a young age he liked to read sumo magazines.  He told his father he wanted one day to be as big as a sumo wrestler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1