Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Talks

Day 3:

Toyonoshima, on Hakuhou's (31 bouts against him) kyujo: "He hates to go kyujo, so I'm guessing that the pain is unbearable. Still, even though he can't do any sumo at this point he should be really happy about the records he is leaving behind.."

Amuuru, beating veteran Aminishiki in their first meeting: "Beating a veteran does wonders for my self-confidence. I still have a dream of beating a Yokozuna/Ozeki.."

Kaisei, Hakuhou going kyujo leaves him without his dohyo-iri tachimochi duties: "Not having anything to do right after my own dohyo-iri is a strange feeling.. I'm wearing my own kesho-mawashi from today and that makes me sad.."

Tamawashi, thinking his rival for today was Sadanofuji, only to find Gideon's Bible Sadanoumi sitting opposite him: "As I sat down I looked over and saw Sadanoumi and thought 'huh??' I asked myself how many years I've been doing sumo.."

Kotoshougiku, his explosive attack being the ruin of him today: "What can I do.. I brought it on myself.."

Tochinoshin, beating Goueidou and getting his first win at Komusubi after 18 bashos: "That was good. I'm not in the best condition, but I'd like to get those wins one by one.."

Goueidou, losing to Tochinoshin for his second consecutive loss: "I've lost the right feeling at the tachiai.. I was turned around well. All I can do is concentrate every day on every bout. From here on.."

Aoiyama, getting a free win due to Hakuhou's kyujo: "A win is a win, but I am not that happy. It's better to be the guy who beat a Yokozuna properly, like Yoshikaze.."

Kisenosato, finally real chance for the yusho?: "Well' it's day by day, bout by bout.."

Kitanoumi regarding this: "This is a real chance, man.. I'd like for him not to be too aware of it so that he doesn't destroy his own sumo.."

Kakuryuu, losing to Yoshikaze today: "I planned on not thinking about Hakuhou's kyujo and going about my usual sumo, but.. My bad habit of pulling is the number one thing I should not do. I did shameful sumo. This is a learning basho for me. I have got to win.."

Izutsu Oyakata: "I think being the lone active Yokozuna is daunting.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 12

I don’t understand Tamawashi’s… what’s that about?

He thought he was supposed to face Sadanofuji, he got it wrong-he faced Sadanoumi as planned. He got them mixed up.

Amuuru, beating veteran Aminishiki in their first meeting: "Beating a veteran does wonders for my self-confidence. I still have a dream of beating a Yokozuna/Ozeki.."

I first read: "I still have a dream of being a Yokozuna/ Ozeki." (I thought: This is really much self-confidence...)

Edited by Tenshinhan

I read it the same way. But hey, dreams are good. I still wake up thinking that when I look in the mirror I'll see hair on the top of my head...

• Like 2

I don’t understand Tamawashi’s… what’s that about?

He thought he was supposed to face Sadanofuji, he got it wrong-he faced Sadanoumi as planned. He got them mixed up.

I'm guessing the "how many years?" thing was wondering if he's been hit in the head too many times?

• Like 1

I'm guessing the "how many years?" thing was wondering if he's been hit in the head too many times?

I was taking it as a "I've been doing this for how many years and I make such a rookie mistake?" type of statement, though I haven't seen the original phrasing.
  • Like 2

I was taking it as a "I've been doing this for how many years and I make such a rookie mistake?" type of statement, though I haven't seen the original phrasing.
They both start with 佐田の so it's maybe an easy mistake to make?

何年相撲取っているんだよって感じだよね

Day 7:

Ikioi, doing offensive sumo and getting a win with a gyoji reversal decision: "I saw my opponent's foot go out before my hand went down. If I go on the offensive from the start, the results will come.."

Asasekiryuu, receiving news of the death of the head of the Takasago beya Osaka Koenkai (support group): "That is sad. He used to greet me well..All we talked about was sumo.."

Ichinojou, attempting to pull Kisenosato's hand and finding himself outside the ring: "My foot stepped inadvertently went out.. Everything went well right about till that point.."

Terunofuji, yorikiri-ing the 208 kilo Sadanofuji: "He was heavier than what I had imagined. I wasn't in a hurry - I just need to exert power bout by bout.."

Sadanofuji, hanging on to Terunofuji but suffering his seventh loss in seven days: "I thought I had him when I got that right overarm grip, but.."

Kotoshougiku, beating the powerful Tochinoshin and getting his 5th win: "He's heavy.. I planned on patiently putting pressure on him from a low stance. Winning with patience was big!!"

Okinoumi, beating Goueidou but pissed off in the shitakubeya (dressing room): "A cellphone was ringing somewhere incessantly and it hurt my concentration!!"

Sadanoumi, overwhelmed by Kakuryuu: "He didn't let me do anything.. I was thinking of not losing very quickly but it was even quicker than I had expected.."

Myougiryuu, being pressured by Aoiyama but turning the tables on him and getting his fifth win in seven days for the first time ever in Sanyaku: "Aoiyama seems to be a bit too fat and it felt I was pushing against a stomach.. It was important to get up close to him.."

Goueidou, fourth loss already: "It is miserable, yes?"

Asked about his injured shoulder: "It's OK. I can only gambarize."

Kitanoumi on Goueidou: "He lets his opponents get close to him too soon. He should be getting inside there himself.."

Kakuryuu, beating Sadanoumi quickly with morozashi (double inside grip): "All I can do is concentrate daily on my own sumo.." Tomorrow he faces Ichinojou, who upset him a year ago in his first Makuuchi basho. "I'm glad that it happened. It made me decide that I don't want to lose to him again no matter what.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 13

Ikioi, doing offensive sumo

I did find a lot of his sumo this basho pretty offensive...

Ichinojou, attempting to pull Kisenosato's hand and finding himself outside the ring: "My foot stepped inadvertently went out.. Everything went well right about till that point.."

I'm actually surprised we don't hear comments like that more often. "Everything went well until the thing that caused me to lose the bout". ;-) Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 6

Day 7:

Myougiryuu, being pressured by Aoiyama but turning the tables on him and getting his fifth win in seven days for the first time ever in Sanyaku: "Aoiyama seems to be a bit too fat and it felt I was pushing against a stomach.. It was important to get up close to him.."

Myougiryu just figured that out?

Day 10:

Juryo Shoutenrou, ranked at West 13 with 9 losses and will drop to Makushita for the first time since Aki 2008: "I'd like to win as many of my remaining bouts as possible so I don't fall too low. I'll rise up again. It has been a learning experience.."

Toyonoshima, getting an early kachikoshi after three bashos of losing records: "I'm able to respond well. I'd like to do the same sumo I've been doing for ten days in the next five days we have left.."

Sadanofuji, 0-10: "If I don't attack, it's not good.."

Yoshikaze, tsuridashi'd by Komusubi Tochinoshin: "There was nothing good about it.. I was planning on beating 2 Yokozuna, 2 Ozeki, 2 Sekiwake and 2 Komusubi.."

Tochiouzan, ending his losing streak at four and winning his sixth: "It's been a while since I went all out at the tachiai. I was able to do what I planned. I think things will be OK now.."

Tamawashi, fighting bravely against the unbeaten Terunofuji: "It was fun.. I'm glad I got the crowd going.."

Kaisei, beating Goueidou with a strong yorikiri: "I knew I had no choice but to push. I was able to somehow get the tachiai right.."

Myougiryuu, surviving at the edge of the dohyo and beating Kakuryuu: "It's all about tenacity.. I managed to generate 100% of my power and that led to my win.."

Kotoshougiku, beating his arch-rival Kisenosato and getting his kachikoshi: "I was able to put pressure on him. I am able to do my own sumo." Tomorrow - Terunofuji. "I'm pretty heavy so it will be OK. Please watch me.."

Terunofuji, keeping his slate clean but having to work for it: "I payed him back double - I knew I was going to heartily throw him down.. Kakuryuu lost? Nothing's changed for me.."

Isegahama Oyakata, Terunofuji's Oyakata: "It's not good to just blindly go out there, but he never lost his cool and saw his opponent well."

Goueidou, losing for the sixth time: "My tachiai is weak..I was blown away. Still, there's always tomorrow.."

Kintamayama, on his fasting on Yom Kippur for the next 24 hours: "I shall gambarize and not do my usual eating and drinking. I'll take it hour by hour and make it a learning experience."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 18

Tochiouzan, ending his losing streak at four and winning his sixth: "It's been a while since I went all out at the tachiai. I was able to do what I planned. I think things will be OK now.."

Errrr.....riiiiight.

So this translates as "I'm watching Goeido every day and I definitely don't want to be that guy."

• Like 3

Is your body moving well? It's all downhill after nakabi! I did a Buddhist retreat once and I did a three day ritual, I think we could drink some tea or water everyday and only a small lunch on the second day. Some people continued that for over a week. Gambarize!

Remember that it's all in the tachi-ai, so point yourself in the opposite direction of the refrigerator before starting your charge.

• Like 2

Yoshikaze, tsuridashi'd by Komusubi Tochinoshin: "There was nothing good about it.. I was planning on beating 2 Yokozuna, 2 Ozeki, 2 Sekiwake and 2 Komusubi.."

That reminds me of this --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHekW79tw5Y

It's definitely not his first experience of tsuridashi...

Edited by dingo

Day 11:

Ikioi, one loss: "This is the result of going all the way till the end. All I can do is give it my all!!" Heya people are saying he is relaxed, walking around humming his favorite Enka (traditional Japanese) songs and going on long bicycle rides. Since day 3 when his winning streak started, he has not washed his hair or shaved. "My head itches, but I'm feeling great!!"

Yoshikaze, facing Ikioi tomorrow, and being on the verge of kachikoshi which will bring some special prizes with it: "All righty then, things are heating up.. I deeply thank the torikumi making committee.."

Tochinoshin, beating Ichinojou the giant by yorikiri, showing tremendous strength: "I screwed up the tachiai. I planned on moving forward.But after that it was good.."

Ichinojou, losing to Tochinoshin for the 5th straight time: "I was outclassed.."

Myougiryuu, on the receiving end of Oosunaarashi's slaps: "I came to do sumo, but the other guy isn't doing sumo.. (Oh my..) He doesn't understand it.."

Kisenosato, stopping his losing streak at two and getting his kachikoshi: "Well, from here on.."

Kotoshougiku, couldn't beat Terunofuji after beating him last basho: "My tachiai wasn't bad. I should be more patient and get my head in (when we are close up)."

Goueidou, winning by a leg trip after a solid, sharp tachiai: "It was good today. The basho isn't over yet so here we go.. I will concentrate on my bouts one by one."

Tamawashi, stopped by Goueidou's slap and grab, getting his makekoshi: "He got in a good punch... It would be great to win all my remaining bouts. No big difference between seven or eight wins.."

Terunofuji, bout against Kotoshougiku going as he expected: "I knew he would go for the grip so I tried to deny him and it worked.. Now facing the top guys? No problem. If I do my own sumo and win everything will be fine.'"

Is it just me or is everyone a sore loser today??

Kintamayama, nearing the end of the fast: "It was pretty fast. Ten minutes to go. Will be eating slowly and drinking merrily. I have hopefully atoned for all my sins.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 12

Is that Yoshikaze making the comment about Ikioi's yusho chances that I refused to make yesterday? (Laughing...)

“Since day 3 when his winning streak started, he has not washed his hair or shaved. "My head itches, but I'm feeling great!!"”

That’s kinda disgusting.

Myōgiryū… harite is part of sumō so I don’t know what he’s talking about. I like seeing a good slapfest.

“Since day 3 when his winning streak started, he has not washed his hair or shaved. "My head itches, but I'm feeling great!!"”

That’s kinda disgusting.

Myōgiryū… harite is part of sumō so I don’t know what he’s talking about. I like seeing a good slapfest.

I haven't washed my hair in 15 years.

• Like 1

Sure, but Ikioi knows where his hair is...

After 8 days without washing it might be a veritable crow's nest by now.

• Like 2

Sure, but Ikioi knows where his hair is...

After 8 days without washing it might be a veritable crow's nest by now.

I just feel bad for his tokoyama...

• Like 1