Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Basho Talk - Aki 2015 +++ Spoiler alert! +++

No one else notice/care Ura lost to some random guy who hasn't been ranked higher than the bottom sixth of Makushita? I've always thought he's been hyped far more than he deserves. It looks like he's put on a decent amount of weight, which I'm worried might not necessarily be a good thing for what he tends to do. While he may gain more strength with more muscle, he might lose the flexibility that was a big asset to him.

Also in the lower divisions, Mitsuuchi, who I would have expected to easily take the yusho, lost. His aite, Kurosawa, was coming back from missing a basho and failed to get a KK at Jd31 in Natsu, so I wouldn't expect him to provide much competition for a top high school guy. Mitsuuchi apparently had already delayed his entry into Ozumo because of injury; hopefully he didn't come back too soon. Or is he just not that good?

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

Stupid NHK, they're broadcasting nothing but politics or tsunami reports. It's been nearly two days already, I just wanna watch the basho.

In my area when they are broadcasting the DIET or some "breaking news" they usually show sumo on a second (sub quality) channel. My wife had to find it for me. I really think sumo needs to get a better contract or one with a different station. NHK is pitiful at times.

Stupid NHK, they're broadcasting nothing but politics or tsunami reports. It's been nearly two days already, I just wanna watch the basho.

In my area when they are broadcasting the DIET or some "breaking news" they usually show sumo on a second (sub quality) channel. My wife had to find it for me. I really think sumo needs to get a better contract or one with a different station. NHK is pitiful at times.

If all else fails, UBS picks up the NHK Sumo live coverage even when NHK is playing with the Diet or breaking news.

• Like 1

If all else fails, UBS picks up the NHK Sumo live coverage even when NHK is playing with the Diet or breaking news.

Thank you for that. The other night I got really annoyed having to watch, rewatch, that fight in parliament. They overdo it.

After being cautioned for too many hands-not-down matta by the Isegahama head shimpan yesterday, today Kotoyuki got it from NHK's main guest commentator Kitanofuji for showing too much of "the best bow in the business": "A waste of time! I think it's splendid, but no need to do it that much".

After nearly a whole wasted bout he was bowing to the shimpan and then to the gyoji who gave him a word - but not to his opponent Homarefuji.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20150918/sum15091817410006-n1.html

Izutsu vice head shimpan also complained about hands not down yesterday: In juryo Daishomaru-Shohozan also needed 3 attempts and starting with that 3 bouts had those matta.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20150917/sum15091721090010-n1.html

Kotoyuki urgently needs hands-on hands-down practice or it will be a big hand-icap for the (not so?) handsome bowing expert.

But his hands literally cannot touch the dohyo - only his oven-glove like bandages can.... ;-)

UBS & Kinta's digests are the only options to see any moving images this basho.

I just noticed that "Sumo interrupted by Diet" sounds quite funny...

• Like 4

Sumo is in parliament today.

CPI7_V7U8AAmKLp.jpg

CPI7_V9UwAYh8JB.jpg

This made my (very long (and four country spanning)) day! (Laughing...) (Applauding...) (Zabuton flying...) (Clapping wildly...) (Clown...) (I am not worthy...)

Absolutely hilarious!

I first thought was: What the heck had Kumagatani oyakata to do at the Diet...?

• Like 1

I noticed something the other day (4) that I had never seen before and I'm wondering if it's normal practice. Kotoshogiku had the water boy pour a ladle full of water on the dohyo just inside the outer straw bail, near the salt. He then stepped in the water puddle with his bandaged foot, soaking it up. This happened on live TV, so I'm assuming it is allowed, but I've never seen anyone else do it. Apparently he did it to get better traction, but it seems to me it would give him an unfair advantage over barefoot rikishis. I know that Kotoshogiku needs all the help he can get, but I think this should not be allowed. Anyone else ever seen this or know something more about it?

My experience of doing sumo with a wrapped toe, although it was on canvas and not a real clay dohyo, is that the wrapping actually detracts from your traction and makes it easier to slip, so the water probably cancels out a disadvantage rather than adding an advantage.

Kotoshogiku had the water boy pour a ladle full of water on the dohyo just inside the outer straw bail, near the salt. He then stepped in the water puddle with his bandaged foot, soaking it up. Anyone else ever seen this or know something more about it?

I have seen Hakuho do this too.

Kotoshogiku does this regularly if not always before his challenge match. I think it's just another one of his unique pre-bout rituals like his big stretch. Example: Kotoyuki coughs, Kyoukutenho would trace the shikirisen (white line) with his foot, Tochiozan wipes his forehead with the tip of his finger, Harumafuji does a pushup, ect. all before the gyoji's gumbai faces forward. And everyone seems to just tolerate it if not be amused by it.

Edited by inhashi

Those complaining about Sumo interrupted need to know that the political decisions made here atm are monumental and not only affect people living in Japan. The tsunami as a result of Chile earthquake will always be covered as history has shown when ignored they have resulted in major casualties. People wanting to watch sumo in Japan were notified of the channels showing sumo when the other issues were covered. Not sure how it affected people watching TV Japan overseas other than an approximately 20 minute interruption on day 5. Commercial Channels won't service the whole country if they broadcasted sumo and those commercial sumo programs that did exist have been dropped.

​

• Like 1

Multiple matta today in Juryo. Daishomaru/Shohozan had at least 3, Asahisho/Satoyama 2. Looks like they are observing hands down at tachiai a lot more carefully. I'm surprised that Kotoyuki got away with it for so long until yesterday.

Gagamaru's left hand never gets near the ground, but they never call it.

That was a fantastic day of sumo, thoroughly enjoyed it.

And Yoshikaze is looking pretty unbeatable at this point. Another few bashos like this and he'll be Ozeki:)

One of the most surprising things for me up till now is that Ikioi is still a runner-up at this point, with the type of sumo he's shown this basho...

That was a fantastic day of sumo, thoroughly enjoyed it.

And Yoshikaze is looking pretty unbeatable at this point. Another few bashos like this and he'll be Ozeki:)

At first he must reach KK....

One of the most surprising things for me up till now is that Ikioi is still a runner-up at this point, with the type of sumo he's shown this basho...

The issue seems to be he often looks good in the lower ranks but it falls apart above a certain level.

As I mentioned in another thread, Yoshikaze started very similarly last Aki basho, with a 4-2 record over Y/O and standing at 6-3 after day 9, but lost his next 5 to maegashira and komusubi and finished 7-8. In Nagoya 2014 right before that, he started 4-2 with wins over Goeido, Tochiozan, and Harumafuji before also finishing 7-8.

• Like 1

Well, I'm thinking if you look at the stats of how often he was picked highly in pre-basho games, the results themselves are not too surprising. However, I would agree that he doesn't appear as strong as his record suggests. He seems to be able to get the job done against low-ranking rikishi, but doesn't have the power needed against those that are higher ranked.

The issue seems to be he often looks good in the lower ranks but it falls apart above a certain level.

But that's the thing -- he's bouts have not been very good thus far even in the lower ranks, yet somehow he's managed to make it to 6-1. That's what baffles me.

Tochi choking again but hope he gets DD for his ozeki run. Hell he can't be any worse than the joke of an ozeki in Goeido. Okinoumi laid the wood on him today and he is manhandled much too frequently for a guy in his rank.

Edited by Mongolith

But that's the thing -- he's bouts have not been very good thus far even in the lower ranks, yet somehow he's managed to make it to 6-1. That's what baffles me.
You're right,I should have said his results look good. I guess he gets away with stuff at a lower level that gets exposed as he rises.

I wonder how many Sekiwake we will have in November. The two current Sekiwake are at 5-2, Okinoumi is 3-4 (beat Hakuho, Goeido and Myogiryu) and of the higher opponents he only has Kisenosato left. Tochinoshin (2-5) already fought all guys above him and usually does his job in the second week (but I almost forgot a simple 8-7 would surely just leave him at Komusubi anyway...)

I wonder how many Sekiwake we will have in November. The two current Sekiwake are at 5-2, Okinoumi is 3-4 (beat Hakuho, Goeido and Myogiryu) and of the higher opponents he only has Kisenosato left. Tochinoshin (2-5) already fought all guys above him and usually does his job in the second week (but I almost forgot a simple 8-7 would surely just leave him at Komusubi anyway...)

Tochiozan could tell you that an 8-7 followed with a 10-5 from K1e doesn't get you up to Sekiwake.