Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Basho Talk - Aki 2015 +++ Spoiler alert! +++

Teru vs Pharaoh was an excellent match. However the culling has started happening now that Kakuryu, Giku and Goeido are starting to drop matches. Everybody needs to concentrate on wrestling excellent sumo and winning the matches they're not supposed to lose. It would be nice to see the race go up to the very end.

It is just day 3, anything can happened, but I´m impressed whit Myogiryu and Endo. Ichinojo needs another slap by Hakuho?? ;-)

What goes around, comes around. One Slap to the face, One Kyujo

I believe Ichinojo is quite awake this time, just ask Takayasu.

• Like 1

Azumaryu has still not recovered fully from what Ichinojo did to him last year. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Takayasu.

Azumaryu has still not recovered fully from what Ichinojo did to him last year. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Takayasu.

Hopefully it truly will not be devestating, but having 204 kilos fall on your knee can be devastating. One prime example of a career destroyed by such a fall would have been Mainoumi falling victim to Konishiki.

I know I'm just a newbie to sumo and what I'm suggesting is probably not very well thought of and people will likely gonna go hard on me, but with the ridiculous amount of injuries it causes by falling an extra 2 feet or so off the dohyo onto the stadium floor (or falling hard onto the angled sides of the dohyo), why don't they increase the space between the circular straw bales and the edges of the dohyo, say another half a metre? That way alot of the silly injuries will be prevented as the rikishi will fall there instead on some awkward angle and considerably greater force onto the stadium floor. I'm sure Takayasu's injury (many others for that matter eg. Oosunaarashi's a couple of bashos ago) will far less severe.

Just for the long term well being of the rikishis. My two cents.

It is just day 3, anything can happened, but I´m impressed whit Myogiryu and Endo. Ichinojo needs another slap by Hakuho?? ;-)

I agree with you. Finally, he´s showing some spirit.

Kidding aside about Hakuho´s slap, sometimes Ichinojo seems just waht he is, a very young guy. He is gona be great, no doubt.

• Like 1

I know I'm just a newbie to sumo and what I'm suggesting is probably not very well thought of and people will likely gonna go hard on me, but with the ridiculous amount of injuries it causes by falling an extra 2 feet or so off the dohyo onto the stadium floor (or falling hard onto the angled sides of the dohyo), why don't they increase the space between the circular straw bales and the edges of the dohyo, say another half a metre? That way alot of the silly injuries will be prevented as the rikishi will fall there instead on some awkward angle and considerably greater force onto the stadium floor. I'm sure Takayasu's injury (many others for that matter eg. Oosunaarashi's a couple of bashos ago) will far less severe.

The overwhelming amount of time it's not the fall that injures rikishi, it's what happened before the fall - nearly all knee injuries are caused by some combination of a leg getting bent in ways it shouldn't and the opponent's weight. Making the dohyo larger or less high isn't going to change that, and might even increase the number of bad incidents, for example in cases of "resistance at the edge gone wrong" where it'll become more likely that the resisting rikishi will be crushed between the surface of the dohyo and his opponent, instead of tumbling off the dohyo altogether (where it's likely that the impact will be felt mainly on his torso, not on his ligaments).

That's not to say that the elevated dohyo is entirely blameless, but my long-term impression is that it causes mainly more benign injuries like sprained ankles.

(By the way, did you mean Osunaarashi's shoulder injury four months ago or the leg muscle injury in November last year?)

My vague prediction for Kisenosatos performance this basho?! He will storm to a 10-0 after 10 days and then finish with 10-5. I do not think that he has the mental strength to "finish the job".

• Like 1

I hope that Oosunaarashi won't be too disheartened by his winless record. No wins, but what losses these have been! He has put up great fights showing his growth from being a one trick slapfest pony into someone who might rise to sanyaku rank.

If he can keep growing and avoiding serious injury, who knows... in any case I enjoy watching.

• Like 3

Hoping the yusho comes down to Tochiozan or Fuji. Tochi can cement his ozeki run or hell if he gets 14 or 15 even get promoted. He would also get redemption for missing out on the yusho vs Tenho. Fuji on the other hand could kickstart his inevitable tsuna run. I just feel Kise is old news (Plus I never cared too much for him) and him winning a yusho will likely just bring yet another failed tsuna run or in the alternate another mediocre/fading yokozuna.

Edited by Mongolith
  • Like 1

Does anyone happen to know if Shotenro owns a kabu? The way things are going, he's probably going to need one after this basho!

Does anyone happen to know if Shotenro owns a kabu? The way things are going, he's probably going to need one after this basho!

Shotenro and moto-Kyokutenho are related by marriage (brothers-in-law?). At 33 yoa, his post-active days are probably already planned out. If he has acquired citizenship, there is probably a kabu that has been reserved for him.

He's still Mongolian (=real name unchanged) - he might quit the sumo world if he doesn't want to go on in makushita.

Edited by Akinomaki

Kidding aside about Hakuho´s slap, sometimes Ichinojo seems just waht he is, a very young guy. He is gona be great, no doubt.

I was ready to send all the furies in the universe after Hakuho when he did that to Ichinojo. I was praying that Ichi would throw him off the dohyo this time. I thought Nemesis was after him when he lost his first two bouts. I've calmed down a bit since, and though I can't forgive Hakuho for shoving Ichi in the face in public, on the sacred dohyo that I'm not supposed to walk on, and I'd never say Ichi needs another slap like that, I might just be willing to concede that there's a bond between them that I don't understand. After all, Ichi's doing better this time, and I'm finally sorry for Hakuho. I think he's overworked doing so much ambassadorial work for sumo off the dohyo and stressed out. His knee blew the whistle.

• Like 2

Pleasantly surprised at the performance of Akiseyama in Juryo so far! Does anyone possibly have a link to one of his bouts? Can't seem to find any in the database. Much obliged!

After all, Ichi's doing better this time.

Sorry but I don't see Ichi doing any better this basho. So far he has beaten Takarafuji who he beat last basho and Takayasu who actually beat him last basho, but he nearly killed him in doing so.. He seems to me the same sluggish rikishi who most of the time has no clue what to do next. He actually seems to have no clue what to do first either..

We shall see..

• Like 2

Sorry but I don't see Ichi doing any better this basho. So far he has beaten Takarafuji who he beat last basho and Takayasu who actually beat him last basho, but he nearly killed him in doing so.. He seems to me the same sluggish rikishi who most of the time has no clue what to do next. He actually seems to have no clue what to do first either..

We shall see..

And with the various withdrawals he is now in line to face all top-rankers - at the start of the basho he could still hope to miss at least Kakuryu, Terunofuji and Kotoshogiku from his position.

Complete joke. Aoiyama won that match 100%. Goeido also technically touched the ground first the match before, but they correctly judged that he had the momentum and was the rightful winner. Same situation here, but they gave it to Kise...for fun. They really screwed over Aoiyama with M2 this basho, and now not giving him very clear victories....

• Like 1

Complete joke. Aoiyama won that match 100%. Goeido also technically touched the ground first the match before, but they correctly judged that he had the momentum and was the rightful winner. Same situation here, but they gave it to Kise...for fun. They really screwed over Aoiyama with M2 this basho, and now not giving him very clear victories....

Did this come from some alternate dimension where things didn't happen like they did in this one? Like one where Aoiyama managed to keep his foot on the tawara instead of having it go outside the ring? If you watch this dimension's video and pay attention, Aoiyama stepped back out of the ring well before Kisenosato landed. Aoiyama also is M1e in this dimension, and most people thought he was going to be M1w, so he was definitely not screwed there.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

Very interesting basho - we're seeing what sumo would be without Hak and Ama. Teru and/or Kise would be Yokozuna (with more or less effort) and Tochiozan and Myogyriu Ozeki. No dominance from any rikishi.

I hope that Oosunaarashi won't be too disheartened by his winless record. No wins, but what losses these have been! He has put up great fights showing his growth from being a one trick slapfest pony into someone who might rise to sanyaku rank.

If he can keep growing and avoiding serious injury, who knows... in any case I enjoy watching.

I have to agree. That is the most effort for an 0-4 record that I can ever remember watching. As for injuries, I think from what Nishinoshima has said, he will never completely recover from the injuries he has already sustained. :-(

Some impressions about this basho.

With Hakuho out the pressure was likely to grow on Kakuryu's side; it partially explain his loss to Yoshikaze methinks. Terunofuji was very careful with the feisty Yoshikaze and won it easily. He looks very solid in all his wins and is the sole rikishi with a Yokozuna aura this basho. I'd be surprised - and happy - if declining Kisenosato could take it away from him. I don't know for what reason, but on day 1 or 2 one of the commentators said that the pressure for a Japanese Yusho was particularly big on Kisenosato this time. Today it was a bout the Japanese Ozeki could and should have won without bother, but it was by a whisker. If he is to lift the cup on Senshuraku he can't depend on such wins. I am bad at predicting sumo talent, but I got it right - so far - with Ichinojo. When he first reached Makuuchi I wrote that the main thing he lacked was something that probably can't be learned, namely 'flair'. He is good but has no instinct, or whatever it may be called. Goeido was lucky, too, but for someone looking for nothing else but kachikoshi that is not that bad. Tochiozan is a good contender; tomorrow he will be tested and can show if he can make up for the Yusho he missed in 2012. He is in his best shape after that shoulder injury that sidelined him a while ago. Both Osunaarashi and Sadanofuji stand at 0-4, but what a difference. While the Egyptian has been a tough nut to crack, Sadanofuji is by far the one most out of his depth (probably in the whole banzuke). Needless to say, Osunaarashi's unrelenting fighting spirit is also a cause of his physical woes, as is his flat foot; they force his knees a bit inside and that wears out the inner cartilage faster, too. Sadanoumi lost the first two bouts rather easily but bounced back; good to see he is not injured as it first appeared. Tokushoryu is there probably thinking that 2 or 3 wins is better than nothing, because in this condition kyujo would be a better option. I echo Kintamayama's comment and say that Amuru is a good surprise; 3-1 at this rank with convincing sumo. I also like Endo. His approach wasn't the best against Toyonoshima; he went for a power technique against a strong hidari-hanmi stance that denied him any advance more than twice. He should take a page from Aminishiki's or Toyonoshima's book.

I wish you all an excelent basho !

Edited by shumitto
  • Like 4

My vague prediction for Kisenosatos performance this basho?! He will storm to a 10-0 after 10 days and then finish with 10-5. I do not think that he has the mental strength to "finish the job".

I'm sorry, but did you misspell "Tochiozan"?

• Like 2