Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Basho Talk - Aki 2015 +++ Spoiler alert! +++

Even if he doesn't compete the final two days, there is still a pretty decent chance that he'll finish with the jun-yuusho. Then he just yusho's in Fukuoka and BAM! Jun-yusho --> yusho looks more convincing than yusho -->jun-yusho anyway. :-D

Not sure how serious you are, but an 11-win jun-yusho is pretty much worthless for a tsuna run.

So this is the basho Kisensato wins a title.

I am also thinking that this is Kisenosato's best chance of a yusho..... and it is still in his hands. However, he'd need to make Goeido MK to do so..... (Luckily Goeido is not currently kadoban....)

1e995e57f8033826d9632bd9fba8cc94.jpg

OK, 808Morgan, I'm blaming you for this one. I actually sat down to write chapter 5 of my doctoral dissertation (last chapter! Yippee!!!), but then I saw your animated gif and noticed something. The pic above is the result.

A) Let's look at pic A first. This is a split second before Terunofuji collapses. (1) His left leg is planted on the dohyo and (2) his right leg is more or less straight.

B) Now let's look at pic B. This is a split second after pic A and everything has changed now. This is the exact moment Terunofuji starts to crumple onto the dohyo, as you can see from (3) his release of the inner left handed grip which he cannot hold any longer because of the pain. Reason: He wanted to pull a shitatenage, but (4.1) Kisenosato's right handed grip and (4.2) the position of his right leg are putting his and Terunofuji's combined weight on Terunofuji's right leg, as Teru's left leg (5) is no longer planted on the dohyo to support their weight. His right leg (6) is at a very ugly angle now, and it is very lucky that he toppled backwards as opposed to a devastating knee crush (Endo & Aminishiki); this would have been crippling because he was not just falling on himself, but Kise was on top of him as well. He might still go kyujo, but it could have been a lot worse. It was great seeing him walk back without the wheelchair after the match.

Adil may just have started a new sumo analysis feature for the forum. The analysis and keen observation was fascinating. Not a daily feature, but maybe once per basho or when there's injury.... now what to call it? Dr Adil's Analysis? Injury Icon? The Ouch Files? Itai Insight? Flesh and Bones?

Edited by shimodahito
  • Like 2

Terunofuji's decision to compete today is a bad one in many ways. In just two matches he's gone from almost invincible to it being very difficult to see how he can yusho on a bad leg. And if he competes on day 14 against Goeido, then he will be matched against Kakuryu on day 15. Imagine if Kakuryu gets a fusen win on day 15.

This basho may turn out having some eerie parallels to Natsu 2012: injured Hakuho, a fusen win by one yusho contender on day 15 (Tochiozan-->Kakuryu) while another yusho contender has one crucial win because his opponent inadvertently stepped out in a match he was winning (Kyokutenho (against Goeido, as I recall)-->Kisenosato (against Aioyama).

We'll see how it turns out.

If Aminishiki and Endo can fight with bad knees, so do Teru. If he wins the yusho he can sleep and rest for two month. If he lose, at least he tried.

I am also thinking that this is Kisenosato's best chance of a yusho..... and it is still in his hands.

Not sure what you mean by this; if Terunofuji manages to win both of his matches, Kisenosato has no chance.

I am also thinking that this is Kisenosato's best chance of a yusho..... and it is still in his hands.

Not sure what you mean by this; if Terunofuji manages to win both of his matches, Kisenosato has no chance.

If the Yokozuna beats 'sato' tomorrow it is also game over for 'sato'. :-)

If the Yokozuna beats 'sato' tomorrow it is also game over for 'sato'. :-)

Imagine the rage if he pulls a henka on Kise😈 Would be funny but hoping for a shennanigans free last few days.

ikioi, kisenosato, terunofuji, kakuryu

easy to see possible 11-3 day 15 for all

since terunofuji and kakuryu enjoy better access to further yushos-

kisenosato to yusho, ikioi at the ready if kise drops the ball (plenty of priors)

Ikioi has been winless against everyone he's faced above M6----I think he has a better chance of ending 10-5 than of winning the yusho.

Well it looks like we got a doctoral dissertation on the crumbling of Terunofuji! I was also looking at his legs and it was an awkward yet pretty lucky outcome if you consider everything. I pronounce you a doctor of sumo instant replay forensics!

OK, 808Morgan, I'm blaming you for this one. I actually sat down to write chapter 5 of my doctoral dissertation (last chapter! Yippee!!!), but then I saw your animated gif and noticed something. The pic above is the result.

A) Let's look at pic A first. This is a split second before Terunofuji collapses. (1) His left leg is planted on the dohyo and (2) his right leg is more or less straight.

B) Now let's look at pic B. This is a split second after pic A and everything has changed now. This is the exact moment Terunofuji starts to crumple onto the dohyo, as you can see from (3) his release of the inner left handed grip which he cannot hold any longer because of the pain. Reason: He wanted to pull a shitatenage, but (4.1) Kisenosato's right handed grip and (4.2) the position of his right leg are putting his and Terunofuji's combined weight on Terunofuji's right leg, as Teru's left leg (5) is no longer planted on the dohyo to support their weight. His right leg (6) is at a very ugly angle now, and it is very lucky that he toppled backwards as opposed to a devastating knee crush (Endo & Aminishiki); this would have been crippling because he was not just falling on himself, but Kise was on top of him as well. He might still go kyujo, but it could have been a lot worse. It was great seeing him walk back without the wheelchair after the match.

Adil may just have started a new sumo analysis feature for the forum. The analysis and keen observation was fascinating. Not a daily feature, but maybe once per basho or when there's injury.... now what to call it? Dr Adil's Analysis? Injury Icon? The Ouch Files? Itai Insight? Flesh and Bones?

• Like 1

Not sure how serious you are, but an 11-win jun-yusho is pretty much worthless for a tsuna run.

Deadpan serious.

kisenosato to yusho, ikioi at the ready if kise drops the ball (plenty of priors)

Listen, I may be holding Kintamayama's mango sorbet as he drives around the Ikioi parade float, but Ikioi has never won against either Kisenosato or Kakuryu. It's in the realm of possibility that Ikioi would beat a crippled Terunofuji, but Goeidou has a better shot of making his kachikoshi than Ikioi taking the yusho.

Any serious douts that Goeido will win tomorrow?

Despite the injured knee, it was funny to see that Terunofuji "unluckily" misses the grip on Goeidos mawashi and also stand right upright for an easy shove out.

Edited by Tsubame

Unpleasant feelings for Kakuryu atm >:-( What a dissapointment.

• Like 1

If Kisenosato loses tomorrow to Goeido I'll shed yet another layer of doubt about the OBSC.

• Like 1

If Kisenosato loses tomorrow to Goeido I'll shed yet another layer of doubt about the OBSC.

An ozeki who needlessly risks an injury after gaining his 8th win or loss is an idiot, not a backscratcher.

• Like 1

Pure BS by Kakuryu today. Not only did he attempt henka before the shimpan called the matta, he did it AGAIN on the second go. Seeing how bad a shape Terunofuji is in right now, this yusho pretty much goes to Kakuryu, who is going to waltz Terunofuji out of the ring for sure. In the meantime, Goeido is definitely going to escape makekoshi now that Kisenosato is out of the race. Disappointing how this has turned out. The only thing I'm glad about so far is that Yoshikaze got his 10th win which I'm hoping is enough to jump Aoiyama for that sanyaku spot.

• Like 1

The only thing I'm glad about so far is that Yoshikaze got his 10th win which I'm hoping is enough to jump Aoiyama for that sanyaku spot.

Aoiyama is makekoshi. Yoshikaze will definitely be Komusubi next basho.

• Like 3

For shame, Kakuryu... For shame!!! I'm not one of those who hate all henkas in all situations, but good golly, Miss Molly. This was really pushing it. Tut tut tut. I knew he was desperate for his first yusho as a yokozuna, but I didn't think he was this desperate. Whatever...I better cool off now. Still, good move in the end there by Kak.

• Like 2

Kisenosato's annoyance at Kakuryu's first henka attempt made me chuckle. If looks could kill! But I literally laughed out loud when Kakuryu did it again. I bet NOBODY saw that coming, least of all Kisenosato. In that context, it actually made sense. Nice to see Kise recover somewhat, but by then it was too late.

• Like 1

the Kyokai should urge Kakaryu to retire...before he disgraces the Yokozuna rank even more

• Like 1

Positive stuff for me this basho:

- A great Yoshikaze, I always liked him. Should be safe for getting the shukun-sho

- Kotoshogiku 10 wins. Of course, if Hakuho and Harumafuji weren't kyujo he probably would have less wins.

- Aoiyama makekoshi. I simply don't like his face and his sumo.

- Same goes for Chiyomaru in Juryo. Usually only wins after pulling the opponent down. And he looks like he doesn't like keiko very much. Will be at the bottom of Juryo next time so another basho for me without having to see him!

- Sadanofuji now has his first win.

- Tokitenku and Sokokurai now safe to stay in Makuuchi for the next basho. I somehow like both. And always funny to see Tenku trying Ketaguri and totally misses the kick.

- Shohozan back in Makuuchi next time. I hope he'll be wearing the golden mawashi again.

Edited by The_Arrow87
  • Like 2

I loved both henkas, and especially the second. And of course even more the counter to Kisenosato's counter, with Kisenosato landing like a piece of dough outside the doyo.

• Like 1