Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Basho Talk - Aki 2015 +++ Spoiler alert! +++

anyone else thinking that osunabrawlashi is on for a biiiiig henka by aminihenka tomorrow?

• Like 1

Watching the match and it's immediate replay, I think Terunofuji pulled or strained something in his leg which caused him to fall. Seeing as how he made sure he was walking back to the shitakubeya and refused the wheelchair, I think he will try to fight it out to the end.

anyone else thinking that osunabrawlashi is on for a biiiiig henka by aminihenka tomorrow?

Perhaps...but I don't see Osu falling for it.

Congrats to Kyokutaisei for his first juryo kachikoshi! (Applauding...)

That mango sorbet mawashi always has me running for the freezer.

I envy you for achieving a lifestyle that enables you to habitually find mango sorbet in your freezer.

You misunderstand. It makes me run to the freezer not because I have mango sorbet at the ready, but because it is SO HOT!!

Terunofuji- possible right knee ligament injury. He refused to talk to the reporters concerning the possible injury.. Did an X-Ray, nothing broken. "About entering tomorrow, he'll undergo some more precise inspections and then decide, I think," said the doctor.

sum15092519560010-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

Terunofuji- possible right knee ligament injury. He refused to talk to the reporters concerning the possible injury.. Did an X-Ray, nothing broken. "About entering tomorrow, he'll undergo some more precise inspections and then decide, I think," said the doctor/

I hope he isn't overeager and compets tomorrow, although he shouldn't. What is a yokozuna-run worth, if it shortens your career significantly? Terunofuji has plenty of time left, to start a new run at sumo's highest rank.

• Like 1

The graveyard of sumo careers is full of both people who didn't take the chance when it was there, thinking there'd be another one before finding out there wasn't, and with people who persevered through injury only to ruin their body.

Its never an easy call to make, and there are no do overs.

• Like 5

If he is cleared to compete, he obviously should, but he shouldn't dismiss the doctors decision, just to win the yusho. But maybe, it isn't as bad, as it looked today, and he will be back tomorrow anyway. I hope so, because I still would like to see a last-bout-yusho-decision on day 15.

EDIT: I just saw the after-match coverage on Jason's channel, and it somehow makes me think, we won't see him tomorrow...

Edited by Tobiarashi

Ikioi looked good but Shin showed awesome balance and strength. Would be a damn shame if Fuji is injured but that buckle did not look good. I am honestly dumbfounded by what Goeido was trying to do with that weird taichi and then immediately hugging Kak's neck.

Looked to me like Goeido was trying to pull off his signature kubinage. But Kakuryu was in the better position and denied it.

Guess the nonexistent tachia-ai and immediate desperation throw is a step up to whatever the hell he was doing against Kaisei. Also at least this time it was against a yok and not a struggling rank and filer.

I think this whole "shame" aspect of using an occasional henka is often overstated. He's not the first Yokozuna to do it..

• Like 5

Ichinojo did a great job of absorbing Osunaarashi's attack and sticking with him until he could use his size to his advantage. Ichinojo is MOST DEFINITELY NOT SLEEPING this time around. Depending on how the next two days go, I could see him at M2w or even M1w in November. Almost there, lets get that KK!!!

EDIT: So, If Terunofuji loses, and Kisenosato and Ikioi Win, that would be QUITE the set up for Day 15!!

Edited by ScottyJoyJrBebe
  • Like 1

tumblr_nv8ivkHebn1tinozao1_400.gif

照ノ富士破れる 右ひざ怪我で休場も

Could go either way, hopefully it just had a little pull and he can bounce back.

Edited by 808morgan
  • Like 1

I will be very very sad if this is how Teru's yusho run ends, but having a nice double-digit kachi-koshi in his second basho as ozeki is nothing to be ashamed of if he has to bow out.

If Teru is kyujo, I will now root for Kisenosato just because I like hoping against hope.

1e995e57f8033826d9632bd9fba8cc94.jpg

OK, 808Morgan, I'm blaming you for this one. I actually sat down to write chapter 5 of my doctoral dissertation (last chapter! Yippee!!!), but then I saw your animated gif and noticed something. The pic above is the result.

A) Let's look at pic A first. This is a split second before Terunofuji collapses. (1) His left leg is planted on the dohyo and (2) his right leg is more or less straight.

B) Now let's look at pic B. This is a split second after pic A and everything has changed now. This is the exact moment Terunofuji starts to crumple onto the dohyo, as you can see from (3) his release of the inner left handed grip which he cannot hold any longer because of the pain. Reason: He wanted to pull a shitatenage, but (4.1) Kisenosato's right handed grip and (4.2) the position of his right leg are putting his and Terunofuji's combined weight on Terunofuji's right leg, as Teru's left leg (5) is no longer planted on the dohyo to support their weight. His right leg (6) is at a very ugly angle now, and it is very lucky that he toppled backwards as opposed to a devastating knee crush (Endo & Aminishiki); this would have been crippling because he was not just falling on himself, but Kise was on top of him as well. He might still go kyujo, but it could have been a lot worse. It was great seeing him walk back without the wheelchair after the match.

Edited by Adil
  • Like 13

Even if he doesn't compete the final two days, there is still a pretty decent chance that he'll finish with the jun-yuusho. Then he just yusho's in Fukuoka and BAM! Jun-yusho --> yusho looks more convincing than yusho -->jun-yusho anyway. :-D

Even if he doesn't compete the final two days, there is still a pretty decent chance that he'll finish with the jun-yuusho. Then he just yusho's in Fukuoka and BAM! Jun-yusho --> yusho looks more convincing than yusho -->jun-yusho anyway. :-D

Not sure how serious you are, but an 11-win jun-yusho is pretty much worthless for a tsuna run.
  • Like 1

Not sure how serious you are, but an 11-win jun-yusho is pretty much worthless for a tsuna run.

I would have to concur with that assessment. I read somewhere once that 13-2 is considered the "minimum" record for an "equivalent performance". Didn't Kaio once win a yusho with 12-3, then was told that he needed to win the following yusho with a 15-0(!) record to get his tsuna (2003 I think?) I know the NSK is tougher then in the past with Yokozuna promotions. I for one believe Terunofuji can still take this basho, even without he 15-0 I predicted.

So this is the basho Kisensato wins a title.

best dressed rikishi?

Well, since most disappointing ozeki is already taken this basho...

• Like 2

best dressed rikishi?

Well, since most disappointing ozeki is already taken this basho...

"Ozekiwake" Goeido

• Like 1

Kakuryu's henka just got a whole lot more shameful, especially if he takes the yusho by 1 win, or worse - by playoff.

Kakuryu's henka was a brilliant move. a Yokozuna must not rely on them as a pet technique but mixing them in with other moves shows just how skillful they are and not one trick ponys. I think it keeps everyone on their toes.

Terunofuji's MRI results show anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) damage and will take one month to heal :( No word yet on whether he's still in or out.